C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Car stalls when placed in park.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280
Car stalls when placed in park.

My car stalls when I place the gear lever in park from drive once I come to a stop at a stop light. It just suddenly dies as if I shut off the car normally. All the electronics such as radio, lights, etc are still on but the AC is off and of course, the engine is off as well. Though I've noticed this only happens when I'm coming to a stop from driving and I've only noticed this happen about 4 or 5 times in total. Doesn't happen very often but I'm worried that it might not start up again or there could be some more seriously wrong. Just yesterday it happened twice so that kind of got my attention. Anyone out there experienced something similar? Any idea what may be up with my car? I have an automatic transmission Euro Version C280, 07 build from Germany with 18k km on the clock. Thanks guys!
Old 03-16-2009, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 MT, 350Z
Warranty man. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Something likely messed up with the interlock. Report to dealer. Why do you put your car in Park at the traffic light? - bad practice - leave it in Drive.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 sport 4matic
why do you put the car in park when youre coming to a stoplight?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:05 AM

W204 C280
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Something likely messed up with the interlock. Report to dealer. Why do you put your car in Park at the traffic light? - bad practice - leave it in Drive.
Interlock? Sorry, forgive my ignorance but what's an interlock?

Thanks for the tip, I'll try and change my driving style. Its just I get a lot of traffic here and I tend to have to sit in the car in non-moving traffic for minutes! Get tired pressing the brake. Traffic is horrendous over here.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Put the car in neutral instead of park (assuming that you are on flat ground) when you are in traffic
Old 03-16-2009, 11:06 AM

C300 sport 4matic
kamusta kabayan

Originally Posted by albert101

Thanks for the tip, I'll try and change my driving style. Its just I get a lot of traffic here and I tend to have to sit in the car in non-moving traffic for minutes! Get tired pressing the brake. Traffic is horrendous over here.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 PM

2008 MB C300 Sport (Mars Red)
What octane gas are you running?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
its common practice in asia to put the car in neutral and then use the parking brake at stoplights or in traffic. however, since the C class has a pedal parking brake, that may be harder to do.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

The interlock is the arrangement whereby you need to have your foot on the brake before you can place the car in drive & need to have it in Park before you can start it. This is all connected to the EIS (electronic ignition switch) which is at the top of the pyramid when it comes to all the cars management systems. It sounds as though the ignition circuit is being powered down when you place the car in Park - it should not. Might be a software glitch.

I have spent a lot of time in Asia & know the bad habit of taking cars out of drive. You are lucky you have a modern auto box that keeps one lube pump running in the transmission or you would damage it. It's still better practice to keep it in drive. If someone bumps you from behind & the car is in park - that's one transmission destroyed.

I know how bad the traffic is in Metro Manila
Old 03-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spoolIT85
kamusta kabayan

"How are you my friend?" - my tagalog is non existent
Old 03-17-2009, 03:30 AM

W204 C280
Originally Posted by 08w204
What octane gas are you running?
96 octane. The best fuel I can get here. I doubt it's a fuel problem though.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:37 AM

W204 C280
The interlock is the arrangement whereby you need to have your foot on the brake before you can place the car in drive & need to have it in Park before you can start it. This is all connected to the EIS (electronic ignition switch) which is at the top of the pyramid when it comes to all the cars management systems. It sounds as though the ignition circuit is being powered down when you place the car in Park - it should not. Might be a software glitch.

I have spent a lot of time in Asia & know the bad habit of taking cars out of drive. You are lucky you have a modern auto box that keeps one lube pump running in the transmission or you would damage it. It's still better practice to keep it in drive. If someone bumps you from behind & the car is in park - that's one transmission destroyed.

I know how bad the traffic is in Metro Manila
I gave my dealer a call, service guy said if its the interlock and the EIS that's malfunctioning, I should have problems starting the car and its not only the stalling problem that I have that would occur. He said its most likely something else but he couldn't give me any answers on the phone. Does this make any sense? I'll be bringing in my to the dealers sometime soon and hopefully they'll be able to give me some answers cause this one's got me all stumped.

And yes, I'll be the first to admit, it's a bad habit to always put the car into park when stuck in traffic or when at a stop light but its just with the traffic here, we sit without moving for 10 to sometimes even 20 minutes! 20 minutes on the brake really starts to get to you after a while. I would normally leave it in neutral but I honestly also tend to get lazy and have to press the hand brake as well. Putting it in park would be the best and most simple solution. Anyway, even though its a bad habit, I'm still worried that the car would stall when I do this. It shouldn't stall at all when I place it into park!

Last edited by albert101; 03-17-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:43 AM

W204 C280
Originally Posted by spoolIT85
kamusta kabayan
okay lang pare! Ikaw?

Nice to see fellow pinoys on the site!
Old 03-17-2009, 04:59 AM
Super Moderator

I gave my dealer a call, service guy said if its the interlock and the EIS that's malfunctioning, I should have problems starting the car and its not only the stalling problem that I have that would occur. He said its most likely something else but he couldn't give me any answers on the phone. Does this make any sense? I'll be bringing in my to the dealers sometime soon and hopefully they'll be able to give me some answers cause this one's got me all stumped.

And yes, I'll be the first to admit, it's a bad habit to always put the car into park when stuck in traffic or when at a stop light but its just with the traffic here, we sit without moving for 10 to sometimes even 20 minutes! 20 minutes on the brake really starts to get to you after a while. I would normally leave it in neutral but I honestly also tend to get lazy and have to press the hand brake as well. Putting it in park would be the best and most simple solution. Anyway, even though its a bad habit, I'm still worried that the car would stall when I do this. It shouldn't stall at all when I place it into park!

It could be many many things - get them to see what codes the car has thrown on the STAR - that will give us a better idea.

It's very unusual & counter-intuitive for a car to stall in Park because you are unloading the engine. That's why I think it might be an electronic glitch. Let's see what they find & if they are honest about it. It could be as simple as a software reload or throttle reset. The ECU might not be maintaining idle speed properly. There are a whole host of things that could cause the problem.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:54 AM

W204 C280
It could be many many things - get them to see what codes the car has thrown on the STAR - that will give us a better idea.

It's very unusual & counter-intuitive for a car to stall in Park because you are unloading the engine. That's why I think it might be an electronic glitch. Let's see what they find & if they are honest about it. It could be as simple as a software reload or throttle reset. The ECU might not be maintaining idle speed properly. There are a whole host of things that could cause the problem.
I really hope its an electronic glitch where a software update will fix the problem. That's the quickest and easiest way to fix it in my opinion. Least invasive as well. Last thing I want is the service guys ripping stuff out of my car trying to look for something wrong.

And yes, I agree with what you're saying, it really doesn't make much sense as to why the car would stall when placed under park since nothing's happening to the engine! The stall happens the moment the car is in park. No hesitation and its immediate.

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Yes - I hope so for your sake - least invasive is best!!!
Old 03-17-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
we sit without moving for 10 to sometimes even 20 minutes! 20 minutes on the brake really starts to get to you after a while. !
Wow!

That's the time you purposefully turn the engine off to save fuel and reduce pollution. Why do you sit with the engine idling all that time?

With the engine off, being in Park is a good idea.

Even a long train is limited here (US) to no more than 15 minutes, and most of us will shut the engine down long before that.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:18 PM

W204 C280
Originally Posted by jstaneff
Wow!

That's the time you purposefully turn the engine off to save fuel and reduce pollution. Why do you sit with the engine idling all that time?

With the engine off, being in Park is a good idea.

Even a long train is limited here (US) to no more than 15 minutes, and most of us will shut the engine down long before that.
The temperatures here tend to get pretty high, usually around 38 degrees C, that's about 100 F. That doesn't sound so bad since I know in parts of Arizona or New Mexico and even places like New York City in the summer get much hotter. But the main difference over here is the humidity. With our humidity close to 98 to 99%, it really gets to you quickly and regardless of how long you stay in the car in traffic or even just waiting for something, everyone leaves the car on and the AC is on. It's not a common practice to shut off the car over here. And sadly, doing this is the least of my country's problems. There aren't really any emissions standards here so it's very common to see vehicles spewing black harmful smoke into the air. So sad..

Last edited by albert101; 03-18-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:21 AM

W204 C280
I dropped off my car to the dealers today. Funny how the first thing they asked me was what kind of fuel I'm using. The exact same questions that 08w204 asked me as well. I don't really find it a coincidence that the fuel question popped up which makes me wonder, does fuel really having anything to do with it? I'm currently using 96 octane fuel, it's pretty much the best I can find here. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to find any better fuel locally. The service people said they've experienced the old C class W203s stalling when under full load on the engine or when the steering wheel is on full turn. Though he immediately ruled that out since (1) my cars a W204 and (2) when I put my car in park, its not on full load at all. They said they'll be observing it and scanning the computer to see if there are any fault codes that came up. They also said they'll clean out my gas tank and check my fuel filter for good measure. Good thing I have warranty! I hope to hear from them either later today or tomorrow. Still keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:10 AM

W204 C280
Just got a call from the dealer, they said they scanned my car on the computer and didn't get any faults at all. They ran other checks with the computer system and nothing as well. They did mention though that my air filter was really dirty and totally clogged. They said they'll give it a clean and that might help. Does that make any sense? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with the newer "electronic" Benzes, I've always thought that if your filter is clogged, your car just won't run as well. Are these new cars so high tech that if your filter is clogged, the engine will just shut off on its own? And it'll only shut off when the car's placed in park?!!?? That doesn't make much sense to me, though I may be wrong.

Anyway, since my car's already there, I've asked them to check on the fuel filter as well and to keep checking on what else might be causing the stalling.

Last edited by albert101; 03-18-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Regarding fuel - Is Caltex selling Techron there yet? If so use it. Will keep things nice & clean. You only have 2 refineries left since we closed Batangas. Petron & Shell.

Tell them not to clean the filter - they must replace it. The air filter is not likely the problem. At idle the car draws least air & least fuel. No codes Huh! Thank heavens for warrantee. Let them scratch their heads - I still think it's an electronic glitch. They will probably reflash the software & not tell you.

To the gent who tells you to turn off the engine - He would not sit in Makati traffic with no aircon - Tell him Makati means "itch" & with aircon on & windows closed = no mosquitoes.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:08 AM

W204 C280
Regarding fuel - Is Caltex selling Techron there yet? If so use it. Will keep things nice & clean. You only have 2 refineries left since we closed Batangas. Petron & Shell.

Tell them not to clean the filter - they must replace it. The air filter is not likely the problem. At idle the car draws least air & least fuel. No codes Huh! Thank heavens for warrantee. Let them scratch their heads - I still think it's an electronic glitch. They will probably reflash the software & not tell you.

To the gent who tells you to turn off the engine - He would not sit in Makati traffic with no aircon - Tell him Makati means "itch" & with aircon on & windows closed = no mosquitoes.
Yup! Caltex still sells Techron over here. I don't use Caltex though, there's no convenient Caltex station near my place so I instead use Petron's Blaze fuel.

I told them not to clean the filter but they cleaned it anyway. So much for that. Anyway, I'll be replacing it once I get my car back so that wouldn't matter. And yes, I would agree that it can't be the filter since at park, in other words idle, the car's just sitting there. Like you, I still think its an electronic glitch as well but since they weren't able to bring up any fault codes, they seem to be stumped. I asked them to reflash my engine and transmission software already as per your suggestion, so hopefully that'll solve the problem. Thanks for the tip!

It's hard to replicate the problem since it doesn't happen often and the service people said they took my car out for a spin, found nothing and couldn't replicate the problem. So I think I'm just gonna have to let time take its toll on this one. Oh well. Are there any software updates out there for the W204 already? I asked the dealer and they said there wasn't any. Or maybe they just don't have it here yet.

And yes, sitting in Makati traffic without the AC on is pure insanity. You'll soffocate yourself just sitting on the road while everyone else's exhaust fumes pump through your open windows! haha

btw, you seem like you know the Philippines very well, are you from here too?

Last edited by albert101; 03-18-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

No - see my profile. I had an international job with Caltex/Chevron. Spent a lot of time in Asia & the Philippines - Have many friends there - Hermie Bauza, Rudi Fermin & it goes on & on. We had joint South African, Philipino management there on a number of occasions. Our offices are just across from the Shangri La.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:35 AM

civic
Better bring your car to your dealer man..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car stalls when placed in park.