C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Nitrogen for tyres...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Not if you were driving them. Drifting on a chariot has got to be bad for the tyres, wooden or otherwise. lol
Old 04-09-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
It is interesting to read how the thread had evolved. When I have nitrogen in my tire, I only need to top-up to the correct pressure when I do rotation every 10,000 Km or 4 months. Before when I have just pumped air, I need to top-up every month. To me this is a great advantage, although some may find it insignificant. But I am happy with the results.

However, I won't pay for nitrogen. And if I suddenly have a flat tire, I won't go through the trouble and travel 10 Km to my tire dealer to pump free nitrogen. I'd choose to drive 2 Km to the nearest gas station and pump normal air.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:32 PM

a g
Originally Posted by vic viper
Nobody is saying that Nitrogen doesnt work, it just doesnt work good enought to be worth the effort.
Yes, you and others have said it doesn't work by proxy, if not directly.

Yes I have tried N, for over two years, but the differences were so small that I couldnt notice them,
There is no way in hell that you can benefit the same advantages with a road car as a race driver or an airplane or even the NASA Space Shuttle.
The only thing left is the fact that N filled tires doesnt leak as much, but as already mentioned before, the difference is so puny it is ridiculous.

You go on ahead and spend money on your bogus gas, I like many others will happily stick with free and available air.
The purpose is the same, more stable tire inflation. Go ahead and stick with what you want, the evidence to the matter quite clearly substantiates my part not yours.

Originally Posted by acr2001
That's just it - none of the people in this thread need to "make any effort" to prove you wrong because your own links do it for us. The difference on a street car, even with a very aggressive driver is unnoticeable in every way. Get over it.

Assuming we believe you that the oxygen escapes first because it is smaller than nitrogen (its hardly smaller) then most of us ARE driving around with nitrogen filled tires, naturally. Every time you "top off" your tire with AIR the level of oxygen remaining in the tire must decrease. In your world the 78% nitrogen in the air probably winds up closer to 90% after a tire has been topped off a few times. So congratulations, you just proved yourself wrong on top of all the other reasoning.
How exactly do the links I provided prove that nitrogen inflation doesn't work? Does it not show that the tires surveyed by Consumer Reports held their air pressure better with nitrogen than with traditional compressed air? Does it not chemically make sense that a reduced moisture content prevents oxidation and rusting to the wheel and the tire's belt package (and rubber)?

Oxygen does leak faster than nitrogen. Besides the fact that you obviously don't understand what happens when you re-inflate your tires to spec, what amount of moisture or oxygen is returned into the tire. Your unfounded and unproved assertion that by proxy my widely supported facts and figures are wrong, is disingenuous on your part.

Originally Posted by tategoi
It is interesting to read how the thread had evolved. When I have nitrogen in my tire, I only need to top-up to the correct pressure when I do rotation every 10,000 Km or 4 months. Before when I have just pumped air, I need to top-up every month. To me this is a great advantage, although some may find it insignificant. But I am happy with the results.

However, I won't pay for nitrogen. And if I suddenly have a flat tire, I won't go through the trouble and travel 10 Km to my tire dealer to pump free nitrogen. I'd choose to drive 2 Km to the nearest gas station and pump normal air.
Great, the most important thing is that the tire has as close to its recommend inflation pressure as possible, especially before you get mobile with the vehicle. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
If Nitrogen is all that wonderful as you think, why doesnt every car manufacturer in the world fill the tires on their new cars with it when they roll of the plant?
Old 04-10-2009, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
This thread is getting pretty comical. I am wondering how long, if ever, it will take you guys to simply agree that there is a measureable benefit, however marginal, to using Nitrogen.
I don't have N and won't go to any particular effort to get it, but if I pulled up to a service station that had both Nitrogen and compressed air for free or equal price, I would certainly go with the Nitrogen...could we all at least agree with that???
Old 04-10-2009, 09:19 AM

C180K 2011 COMAND, AMG, Dynamic Xenon, Business Pack, H&K Audio and +
no. we can all agree on it if we get a chance to fill with Nitrogen on every gas station around for free like air. BTW last time I checked my tyres pressure was 1.5 months ago. And today I checked it again. I had no loss in the pressure. I filled air in tyres with low temprature and then checked again after 1.5 months with normal low temprature. The car was not moved for atleast 4 hours on both occasions " filling and checking " I have run flats.

The difference is very minor so why would someone bother to get to the place ( maybe drive 10 km , might be 20 or so ) to fill up nitrogen where as Air is available every 1- 2 km's for free?

Even lets say if the normal air tyre lasts upto 50K km then with nitrogen it would last like 49K km? Is it really worth it? figure it out.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Raven,

I'm impressed with being able to go 1.5 months with no air loss.

Is this typical of runflats?
Old 04-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by RedG

Besides spouting off about stuff you obviously have no first hand experience with, would you like to actually back up your claims, and prove it? My guess is you, nor anyone else actually will take up the challenge. But go ahead claim it doesn't work without any sort of effort on your part.
Besides you behaving like a jerk - I have run my own Car & Bike race teams for years. I have much experience of running nitrogen in tyres. I have a catalogue of tyre pyrometer readings as long as your arm racing with Michelin as our tyre sponsor. My car in the garage has nitrogen in the tyres (now somewhat poluted) because my Michelin tyre shop inflate with nitrogen FOC when they fit new tyres & will continue to top up FOC if you choose to take the trouble.

I stick to my comment - Absolutely on track - Off track - who cares - good sales gimmick. On track with soft compound tyres & issues like tyre growth messing with gearing etc. etc. ad nauseum - it makes sense.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 PM

a g
If Nitrogen is all that wonderful as you think, why doesnt every car manufacturer in the world fill the tires on their new cars with it when they roll of the plant?
Why doesn't every car manufacturer sell a hybrid vehicle, or full electric vehicle?

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Besides you behaving like a jerk - I have run my own Car & Bike race teams for years. I have much experience of running nitrogen in tyres. I have a catalogue of tyre pyrometer readings as long as your arm racing with Michelin as our tyre sponsor. My car in the garage has nitrogen in the tyres (now somewhat poluted) because my Michelin tyre shop inflate with nitrogen FOC when they fit new tyres & will continue to top up FOC if you choose to take the trouble.

I stick to my comment - Absolutely on track - Off track - who cares - good sales gimmick. On track with soft compound tyres & issues like tyre growth messing with gearing etc. etc. ad nauseum - it makes sense.
Besides you and others being completely argumentative and unresponsive to the actual information posted, yes, it is a benefit in your standard street vehicles, regardless of what you say to the contrary. If it is beneficial to a race car, it will still provide benefits of the same nature to motor vehicles.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Why doesn't every car manufacturer sell a hybrid vehicle, or full electric vehicle?

Besides you and others being completely argumentative and unresponsive to the actual information posted, yes, it is a benefit in your standard street vehicles, regardless of what you say to the contrary. If it is beneficial to a race car, it will still provide benefits of the same nature to motor vehicles.
No. No. No. No. How long will you go on for? You are outnumbered and outsmarted. Just end the embarrassment and let this thread die already. You're going in circles at this point.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
No. No. No. No. How long will you go on for? You are outnumbered and outsmarted. Just end the embarrassment and let this thread die already. You're going in circles at this point.
I think its called ' Mud wrestling a pig. The pig enjoys it and you get muddy.'

$0.01 (due to economy)
Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by amdeutsch

$0.01 (due to economy)
Good point. I'll leave this thread alone now, I think the facts speak for themselves.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213

By answering my question with another totally irrelevant question proves that your arguments are running low
Old 04-11-2009, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

People become frustrated at you being obtuse - let me explain my original point in simple language that you might understand regarding not allowing tyres to remain warm enough for grip - nitrogen inflation causes tyres to run cooler - a benefit on track most of the time - ever noticed cars on track swerving around desparately trying to keep temperature/heat in their tyres while following the pace car on soft compound race tyres??? - well it has the same effect on your rock hard compound road tyres & you can't provide the energy input on road to keep them warm.

Don't make stupid assumptions about people - quote "Besides spouting off about stuff you obviously have no first hand experience with" unquote.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:03 AM

S204 C220 CDI, VW Scirocco III 1.4TSI 160

You, my good friend, said everything that I meant Great choice of words and you're absolutely 100% right
Old 04-11-2009, 07:54 PM

a g
Not outsmarted, just outnumbered.

By answering my question with another totally irrelevant question proves that your arguments are running low
So your justification that it isn't worthwhile is because not every tire store, dealership, and service station has it availible? Does that mean that everything that has limited availability is worthless? Or do you all just like trumpeting against something that (based on provided facts) does give a consumer the beneficial reason to use in their tires?

People become frustrated at you being obtuse - let me explain my original point in simple language that you might understand regarding not allowing tyres to remain warm enough for grip - nitrogen inflation causes tyres to run cooler - a benefit on track most of the time - ever noticed cars on track swerving around desparately trying to keep temperature/heat in their tyres while following the pace car on soft compound race tyres??? - well it has the same effect on your rock hard compound road tyres & you can't provide the energy input on road to keep them warm.

Don't make stupid assumptions about people - quote "Besides spouting off about stuff you obviously have no first hand experience with" unquote.
Maybe you really seriously don't understand. Maybe that is it would be safe to infer that you no longer race cars or bikes based on your statements. Heat is the ONLY contributor to the actual end failure in a tire. The cooler that a tire runs, the longer it will last, especially with how standard road tires are designed.

So, yes, thank you for proving my previous assertion, you have no idea what you are talking about, and don't have real experience with. Btw, pointing a temperature gauge at a tire doesn't equate to any sort of experience, try again.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

You definitely are a mental paraplegic - a few posts back you were talking about water degradation of compounds, belts & beading being of major importance. You don't understand the right amount of heat for compound performance vs excess heat.

Suggest you enroll on a Michelin tyre course for dummies - please stay away from racing. You would be a menace to any team. Join a funny farm where you can use a nitrogen filled tube as a flotation device. Signing off from a dumb thread.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 PM

a g
You definitely are a mental paraplegic - a few posts back you were talking about water degradation of compounds, belts & beading being of major importance. You don't understand the right amount of heat for compound performance vs excess heat.

Suggest you enroll on a Michelin tyre course for dummies - please stay away from racing. You would be a menace to any team. Join a funny farm where you can use a nitrogen filled tube as a flotation device. Signing off from a dumb thread.
How are my statements contradictory in the slightest? And you clearly don't understand how a road tire is designed, and how it differs from a race tire.

Heat is the only cause of failure in a tire, would you care to challenge that too?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Old 04-12-2009, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213

So your justification that it isn't worthwhile is because not every tire store, dealership, and service station has it availible? Does that mean that everything that has limited availability is worthless? Or do you all just like trumpeting against something that (based on provided facts) does give a consumer the beneficial reason to use in their tires?

Again you fail to answer my original question

I may be Swedish and I am not very good in English, but in most of my posts I have clearly declared whats my issue with Nitrogen.
first of all The benefits are too small!! second, its hard to find when you need to refill, (and you will need them).
Third, It costs money, why pay for anything that gives an almost unmeasureable advantage when regular air is free anywhere?

Ill give you another question you probably cannot answer: What do you do for a living?.
I am prepared to bet that it has something to do involving sales of Nitrogen, I really cannot see why you should rant on like this otherwise

Last edited by vic viper; 04-12-2009 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by amdeutsch

$0.01 (due to economy)
Good point and funny!

To bottom line it, is this:

1. Nitrogen involves less seepage, and amount of time to check tire (tyre) pressure.
2. You will experience a slight (very slight) difference in handling at high speeds.
3. If you have to pay little to nothing, Nitrogen is cool, get it. If you have to pay a premium, take a pass and get the O2.

I have used Nitrogen and air for over 10 years now, and the only two differences I saw were much less time spent checking pressure due to no to low loss with Nitrogen as opposed to air. That was about it..This is my personal experience.

A lot of you are expressing the same views but with some different aspects and viewpoints. No need to get all touchy and insulting. Everyone go inhale some Nitrogen and relax.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:28 AM

S204 C220 CDI, VW Scirocco III 1.4TSI 160

Don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:35 AM

a g
Again you fail to answer my original question

I may be Swedish and I am not very good in English, but in most of my posts I have clearly declared whats my issue with Nitrogen.
first of all The benefits are too small!! second, its hard to find when you need to refill, (and you will need them).
Third, It costs money, why pay for anything that gives an almost unmeasureable advantage when regular air is free anywhere?

Ill give you another question you probably cannot answer: What do you do for a living?.
I am prepared to bet that it has something to do involving sales of Nitrogen, I really cannot see why you should rant on like this otherwise
Vehicle manufacturers use what consumers can readily get for their vehicles. That in no way shape or form means that they don't support or recommend using nitrogen to inflate the tires on their vehicles.

Thought you all might love this below 30+ page test result paper from the NHTSA.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles...009/811094.pdf

Summary:
Though the study was not specifically designed around evaluating the effects of nitrogen inflation, a sufficient number of tires with different inflation gases were tested in the various test programs to yield a number of statistically significant results. NHTSA testing of tires has confirmed that using nitrogen as an inflation gas in place of air slows the static IPL of the tire significantly. In the 90-day static room temperature test, the inflation pressure loss rate for tires inflated with nitrogen was approximately two-thirds of the loss rate of tires inflated with air. Dynamic testing on a roadwheel test shows the differences between the diffusion rate of air versus nitrogen versus 50/50 N2/O2 are maintained at higher temperatures and dynamic conditions (i.e., simulating rolling operation on a vehicle). The decrease in permeability for nitrogen gas was observed to be independent of tire innerliner composition and thickness, thus applicable to all tire types studied.

Inflating with nitrogen in place of air had little or no direct effect on tire rolling resistance performance. It should be noted that inflation with nitrogen merely slows the rate of diffusion of gas from the tire and is not a substitute for regularly maintaining tire pressure. Limited static inflation
pressure loss rate testing with a 50/50 blend of nitrogen/oxygen inflation gas produced mixed results. The IPL for all tires began significantly higher, but dropped by the end of the 90day test period to approximately the loss rate of air, which contains only 21 percent oxygen. Analysis of the gas content at the end of the test period confirmed that the rate of oxygen loss from the tire was approximately four times the rate of nitrogen loss averaged over the 90-day period. The reasons for the drop in IPL over time for the high-oxygen-content tires are unknown.

Seventy-six tires from 19 vehicles were measured for tire pressure and oxygen concentration. For the forty tires with the DOT code recorded, the average age of the tires at the time of inspection was 2.8 years with tires ranging for 0.6 to 6.8 years old. The average inflation pressure of the tires was 29.1 psi. The average percentage of oxygen measured in the inflation gas of field tires (on-vehicle tires) was 15.0 percent, and most values were significantly less than the original air inflation level of 20.9 percent. This suggests that the partial pressure of oxygen in the tire decreased
significantly during service. Probably there are two contributing factors: first, oxygen has a higher permeation rate than nitrogen, and second, oxygen is consumed.

Using the estimate of 0.041 percent/month for each percentage reduction in O2 percentage and the average IPL loss of 2.13 percent/month for the tires studied in the lab, the calculated IPL of these field tires would be reduced by approximately 11 percent (0.24%/month) due to the change in inflation gas composition. In other words, if a normally maintained in-service tire is not punctured or deflated, the faster diffusion/consumption of oxygen relative to the nitrogen content of the inflation gas results in an increase in the percentage of nitrogen gas from the original 78 percent to as high as the 91 percent observed, thus lowering the effective rate of inflation pressure loss. This means that the average loss rate for tires in the field may be considerably different than that measured using freshly inflated new tires. The benefits of nitrogen inflation on pressure retention of tires in service may be overstated by testing with new, freshly inflated tires in a laboratory test. Based on this study, the mean advantage in IPL for tires in service will be approximately
25 percent.

The results for 23 tires subjected to hundreds of hours of laboratory roadwheel aging with air, 50/50 N2/O2, or nitrogen inflation were inconclusive. Results did not indicate a correlation between the inflation gas used and the time to failure in this particular roadwheel durability test.

The results for 44 tires subjected to oven aging for 5-weeks at 65° C, followed by the 35.5 hour FMVSS No. 139 Endurance and Low Pressure test sequence, showed the oven and roadwheel test conditions to be sufficiently severe to differentiate between 50/50 N2/O2 inflation and the other two inflation gases, air and nitrogen. However, the oven and roadwheel test conditions were not severe enough to differentiate between air and nitrogen inflation. The oxygen concentration
measurement data from both the accelerated dynamic roadwheel aging and static oven aging also showed a much more rapid diffusion/reaction of the oxygen portion of the inflation gas when compared to the nitrogen gas.

An analysis of common inter-belt rubber material properties from tires retrieved after an average of four years of on-vehicle service in Phoenix, Arizona demonstrated that a portion of the oxygen permeating through the tire is absorbed and reacts with the internal tire rubber compounds, which eventually leads to degradation of inter-belt adhesion. Accelerated laboratory aging of the tires using a two-hour roadwheel break-in and five weeks of oven aging at 65° C with an oxygen-enriched inflation gas yielded changes in the level of absorbed oxygen, tensile properties and peel strength properties in the internal belt package rubber that were similar to 4-year-old tires retrieved from service. Hence, out of 11 tire models that successfully passed the FMVSS No. 139 Endurance and Low Pressure tests when new, 3 models failed when oven aged prior to the road-wheel test. These changes in material properties and roadwheel performance could be replicated in the laboratory through the use of elevated temperatures and oxygen-enriched inflation gas despite only running the tires 100 miles at 50 mph on the roadwheel during the break-in. Therefore the results strongly indicate that the degradative reaction of the internal tire rubber components is a product of the internal pressurized oxygen and temperature conditions rather than from purely mechanical fatigue of the tire structure. Thus lowering the percentage of oxygen in the inflation gas may be one way to lessen the availability of oxygen to react with and degrade the internal components of the tire.

A primary positive result expected from nitrogen inflation may to produce more uniformly maintained tire pressure over time, which would help maintain tire performance properties such as handling, rolling resistance and durability. As seen from the effect of liner composition on IPL, this may be more important for some tire models. Also, there is a strong scientific basis for concluding that reducing the oxygen content of the inflation gas will reduce the internal thermooxidative degradation of the tire, which may aid in retention of durability.
If you can't read and understand that lengthy summary from a entity that has no financial interest whatsoever and see its beneficial to inflate you motor vehicle tires with nitrogen you are absolutely crazy.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:48 AM

a g
And does it really matter if the vehicle OEs support or don't support nitrogen tire inflation when the tire companies that provide them tires do support using it?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Funny thing, you claim that Nitrogen has been available in the automotive industry for 40 years now, If it has been around for so long and is so darn good, why doesnt everyone today drive around with it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen for tyres...