C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Nitrogen for tyres...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a g
Originally Posted by vic viper
Funny thing, you claim that Nitrogen has been available in the automotive industry for 40 years now, If it has been around for so long and is so darn good, why doesnt everyone today drive around with it?
Now I know you are dense, and completely clueless. The 1960s era automobile wasn't concerned with economy, or the longevity of a bias ply tire that was garbage to begin with. Why didn't electric cars take off?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Originally Posted by RedG
Why didn't electric cars take off?

Easy!, they still arnt efficient enough ... see the recemblance?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:53 PM

a g
Easy!, they still arnt efficient enough ... see the recemblance?
No. Nitrogen tire inflation and electric power driven automobiles are two totally different concepts and aimed at improving to different but related things. Nitrogen tire inflation is beneficial, moreso than anyone here thinks. Doesn't matter much to me what you or others actually think about it, but my problem is when you propagate incorrect statements about such a thing.

If nitrogen tire inflation's only benefit was longer life through the tire rubber and tire belt package you'd probably say it wasn't worth it still...
Old 04-12-2009, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Obviously you care quite alot, you wouldnt be defending yourself this bad if you didnt.

Please tell me what false data I have been claiming?
With an average joe like me who really cares about my car and checks tire pressure on a regular basis, what benefits are still left for me?
Longer tire life due to reduced inside moisture?, come on!, I would need to drive around for at least five years in the worst conditions possible before I should even notice any kind of internal damages in a tire, wich I still havnt seen in my over twelve years working with cars.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:25 PM

a g
Obviously you care quite alot, you wouldnt be defending yourself this bad if you didnt.

Please tell me what false data I have been claiming?
With an average joe like me who really cares about my car and checks tire pressure on a regular basis, what benefits are still left for me?
Longer tire life due to reduced inside moisture?, come on!, I would need to drive around for at least five years in the worst conditions possible before I should even notice any kind of internal damages in a tire, wich I still havnt seen in my over twelve years working with cars.
Considering oxygen itself is very reactive to everything, and that it carries moisture very readily the benefit is huge for the internal stability of the tire. Reduced dry rot, reduced belt package rusting, reduced body cord package separation.

You really think that the moisture or dew on your windows in the morning is just on your paint or glass? Its also inside your tires and affects your tires longevity. You underestimate the actual benefits produced from filling tires with nitrogen.

I have had more than several sets used with and without nitrogen, and I've seen more worn tires from improper (read: low tire pressure) tire inflation than I care to count. I've seen thousands of cars with nitrogen filled tires, and that we've checked on a regular basis when the vehicle is in for service, that still have stable pressures, and just about zero corrosion on the tire or wheel.

You really think I'd be so adamant over something if it was really trivial? You really think I'd go through so much effort to squash and misleading or incorrect information that has been presented contrary to what I've shown? What benefit do I get from providing such information here?

Not every offering in the marketplace is a gimmick, many infact are actually beneficial for people to use. Offering nitrogen tire inflation over those that don't provides a competitive advantage. Its much like Mercedes and its fit and finish over other marques.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:30 PM

2005 Crossfire SRT-6
I've had nitrogen in the tires on my Ram 1500 for a year(in May) and have never added air to any of the tires. On all my other cars I've had to add/adjust the pressure every couple months and they are filled with "regular air".
Old 04-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by RedG
I have had more than several sets used with and without nitrogen, and I've seen more worn tires from improper (read: low tire pressure) tire inflation than I care to count. I've seen thousands of cars with nitrogen filled tires, and that we've checked on a regular basis when the vehicle is in for service, that still have stable pressures, and just about zero corrosion on the tire or wheel.
blah, blah, blah.

None of the above is a valid argument. Its a known fact that most don't check their tire pressure on a regular basis. Its also a known fact that most never inflate their tires properly; i.e load, speed, etc. When you claim improper worn tire, or proper for that fact, did you measure the tread depth across from inside to outside? How much time did you spend verifying those 1000s of tires. Remember that your eyes couldn't tell the difference between 2 or 3 psi difference. And did you keep records to verify "stability"?

Old 04-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Some comments for the muddy pig

Aviation authorities
Nitrogen is mandated for jetliner tyres due to it being inert in a flamable environment. It requires to be anhydrous to ensure no icing at high altitude & steam formation at very high temperatures. (summarised)

The Automobile Association
"Overall, while accepting the possibility of purified nitrogen being of some benefit in certain applications, we don't think that the cost and possible inconvenience are justified for normal passenger car use."

Michelin
Michelin officials recommend nitrogen only for tires used "in a high risk environment and/or when the user wants to reduce the consequences of a potential abnormal overheating of the tire-wheel assembly (for example in some aircraft applications)," according to a company statement.
But for all other tires in normal use, nitrogen "is not required and does not necessarily bring the expected benefit. Tyres contain anti oxidants & antiozonates to counter the effects of oxygen"

DuPont research

Claims Answers Explanation
Nitrogen filled tyres hold their pressure for longer than normal air
WRONG
(as far as tubeless car tyres are concerned)
Research Data from Dupont shows that although Oxygen is the heavier element it does leak through a porous rubber membrane faster than Nitrogen, but the rate for both gases or a mixture within a tubeless rubber tyre which has an IMPERVIOUS liner is so slow that it would take SEVERAL YEARS for all the oxygen in an air filled tyre in good condition to leak away: though greater leaks can occur around the rim-to-bead seat - so the answer here is to ensure the tyre is properly fitted and sealed.

Many tyres used in the earthmoving and mining industries still use tubes in which case the leakage data and benefits of Nitrogen may be more relevant.

The inner lining of the tyre and the wheel do not become oxidised or corroded or perish if filled with Nitrogen
WRONG
Given the average life span of a normal car tyre is 2 to 5 years, depending on use, and the average life of a vehicle is 10 to 15 years, the amount of corrosion of the wheel or degradation of the inner tyre lining from the oxygen in the air is not measurable. The only time significant attack to the wheel is likely is if the air in it has a very high water content to assist the oxygen in attacking the wheel.
Some tyres used in big earth moving equipment are filled with Nitrogen but these tyres are very heavily constructed and so may be remoulded several times in their life span over several years: therefore anything which helps to keep the tyre carcass in good condition is worthwhile given that the tyres can cost several thousand pounds each, and are inflated to much higher pressures than passenger car tyres.

Nitrogen is more stable at holding it's pressure when the tyre goes through the cycle of cold to hot and back again in normal use.
WRONG
Oxygen and Nitrogen and Air all respond in the same way to temperature changes as the tyre heats up and cools down: they all have the same rate of pressure change for an equal amount of temperature change.

Again the only exception would be if very wet air was used to fill the tyre: if the water content was so high that in cold temperatures there was liquid water in the tyre which could turn to water vapour when the tyre heated up. This would cause an uneven pressure gradient in respect of temperature: effectively a very small amount of water would turn into a large amount of steam within the tyre casing. In normal use air-lines are fitted with water traps to remove excess moisture from the compressed air.

Nitrogen is not a fire risk
CORRECT
It is a requirement to use Nitrogen (or another inert gas) with less than 5% Oxygen content for aircraft tyres. For aircraft where the tyres in normal flying use are stowed within the wings or fuselage it is obviously desireable to have a tyre NOT filled with pressurised air should a fire occur. The amount of water vapour and carbon dioxide in the tyre should also be minimal or it could condense at high altitude and freeze to ice which would give an unbalanced situation when landing. The fire risk benefits of inert gas filling also apply in other safety critical situations, but have no real advantage for private motoring.

Nitrogen is used in Formula 1 and other race cars.
CORRECT
Nitrogen is used because it is easier and more reliable than using an air compressor. It is inert. The cylinders of Nitrogen are also used to power the impact wrenches for wheel changing.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-12-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:21 PM

a g
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
blah, blah, blah.

None of the above is a valid argument. Its a known fact that most don't check their tire pressure on a regular basis. Its also a known fact that most never inflate their tires properly; i.e load, speed, etc. When you claim improper worn tire, or proper for that fact, did you measure the tread depth across from inside to outside? How much time did you spend verifying those 1000s of tires. Remember that your eyes couldn't tell the difference between 2 or 3 psi difference. And did you keep records to verify "stability"?
Actually, yes...I've measured the tread on countless occasions, and I am experienced enough to understand how and why a tire can be subject to or suffer from improper tire wear conditions. And with the regular people I see we ALWAYS check their tire pressures, and consistently we see more stable pressures with nitrogen filled tires.

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Some comments for the muddy pig

Aviation authorities
Nitrogen is mandated for jetliner tyres due to it being inert in a flamable environment. It requires to be anhydrous to ensure no icing at high altitude & steam formation at very high temperatures. (summarised)
This point wasn't argued, and just helps support my previously made statements and links.

The Automobile Association
"Overall, while accepting the possibility of purified nitrogen being of some benefit in certain applications, we don't think that the cost and possible inconvenience are justified for normal passenger car use."
Subjective and irrelevant.

Michelin
Michelin officials recommend nitrogen only for tires used "in a high risk environment and/or when the user wants to reduce the consequences of a potential abnormal overheating of the tire-wheel assembly (for example in some aircraft applications)," according to a company statement.
But for all other tires in normal use, nitrogen "is not required and does not necessarily bring the expected benefit. Tyres contain anti oxidants & antiozonates to counter the effects of oxygen"
I'd like to see the actual source for this, until then it is contradicted by Michelins official statements on www.GetNitrogen.org ( http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/print...chBulletin.pdf ).

DuPont research

Claims Answers Explanation
Nitrogen filled tyres hold their pressure for longer than normal air
WRONG
Research Data from Dupont shows that although Oxygen is the heavier element it does leak through a porous rubber membrane faster than Nitrogen, but the rate for both gases or a mixture within a tubeless rubber tyre which has an IMPERVIOUS liner is so slow that it would take SEVERAL YEARS for all the oxygen in an air filled tyre in good condition to leak away: though greater leaks can occur around the rim-to-bead seat - so the answer here is to ensure the tyre is properly fitted and sealed.

Many tyres used in the earthmoving and mining industries still use tubes in which case the leakage data and benefits of Nitrogen may be more relevant.
I suspect you purposely did not cite your sources, or just took a few days to make it all up. Nice try though, its quite verified that oxygen permeates through the rubber and steel belt package of a tire. No tire liner is completely impervious to leakage.

The inner lining of the tyre and the wheel do not become oxidised or corroded or perish if filled with Nitrogen
WRONG
Given the average life span of a normal car tyre is 2 to 5 years, depending on use, and the average life of a vehicle is 10 to 15 years, the amount of corrosion of the wheel or degradation of the inner tyre lining from the oxygen in the air is not measurable. The only time significant attack to the wheel is likely is if the air in it has a very high water content to assist the oxygen in attacking the wheel.
Some tyres used in big earth moving equipment are filled with Nitrogen but these tyres are very heavily constructed and so may be remoulded several times in their life span over several years: therefore anything which helps to keep the tyre carcass in good condition is worthwhile given that the tyres can cost several thousand pounds each, and are inflated to much higher pressures than passenger car tyres.
The degradation of the tires liner and wheel is measurable, this is not debatable, its a fact.

Nitrogen is more stable at holding it's pressure when the tyre goes through the cycle of cold to hot and back again in normal use
WRONG
Oxygen and Nitrogen and Air all respond in the same way to temperature changes as the tyre heats up and cools down: they all have the same rate of pressure change for an equal amount of temperature change.

Again the only exception would be if very wet air was used to fill the tyre: if the water content was so high that in cold temperatures there was liquid water in the tyre which could turn to water vapour when the tyre heated up. This would cause an uneven pressure gradient in respect of temperature: effectively a very small amount of water would turn into a large amount of steam within the tyre casing. In normal use air-lines are fitted with water traps to remove excess moisture from the compressed air.
This cannot possibly be from Dupont, or a serious research effort on their part in the slightest...Nitrogen is clearly less subjective to moisture, heat, and is much less reactive than oxygen. So you have to have made this one up too...nice try.

Nitrogen is beneficial because it is essentially dry. The nitrogen dry gas is then passed through the nitrogen compressor tank to the actual air compressor, keeping the interior of the tire as dry and free from moisture as possible.

Nitrogen is not a fire risk
CORRECT
It is a requirement to use Nitrogen (or another inert gas) with less than 5% Oxygen content for aircraft tyres. For aircraft where the tyres in normal flying use are stowed within the wings or fuselage it is obviously desireable to have a tyre NOT filled with pressurised air should a fire occur. The amount of water vapour and carbon dioxide in the tyre should also be minimal or it could condense at high altitude and freeze to ice which would give an unbalanced situation when landing. The fire risk benefits of inert gas filling also apply in other safety critical situations, but have no real advantage for private motoring.
Not that a 'private motoring' vehicle tire will explode as a result of heat hasn't been debate (and doesn't need to be), but heat is a factor, and reducing heat in passenger car tires at all times is always a bonus. Far from having no real effect thats for sure.

Nitrogen is used in Formula 1 and other race cars.
CORRECT
Nitrogen is used because it is easier and more reliable than using an air compressor. It is inert. The cylinders of Nitrogen are also used to power the impact wrenches for wheel changing.
So you are all for it in racing tires, but not your road vehicle's tires?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
So I was correct from the beginning then, you do work with tires and you do have finacial intrests in promoting Nitrogen
Old 04-13-2009, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
This is sad and funny at the same time. We all know the minimal effects that Nitrogen has as opposed to Oxygen, and as stated so many times:

If it is free or little to nothing get it. If not stick to air which is 78% Nitrogen anyway. Goodness, 4 pages on this?

I have spoken with Mercedes techs, SA's, SM's, guys at several tire shops over the years and they all say or have said that the effects of Nitrogen are minimal to none based on the type of driving that we do which is not on the track.

Personally, I think this has gone far enough.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Here is a good site, noted earlier:http://www.getnitrogen.org/savebillions/index.php

Make the choice for yourself..
Old 04-13-2009, 04:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Here is a good site, noted earlier:http://www.getnitrogen.org/savebillions/index.php

Make the choice for yourself..

Yeah, and that site isnt biased?
Old 04-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Yes - that site is hardly objective in it's views - The only thing thing I agree with Bigben on is all this BS written about the minor effects of a little bit of oxygen in the air acting on insignificant items within the tyre when the whole of the rest of the vehicle INCLUDING the outside of the tyres is subjected to normal air which is the Psuedo Plague the nitrogen camp have drummed up. Ah well our stupid pig is enjoying the mud!
Old 04-13-2009, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
lol
Old 04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Originally Posted by micropower99
lol

Dont read it then.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

+1
Old 04-13-2009, 07:12 PM

C300 4matic Sport, CBR 954
Originally Posted by AsianML
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...instead-of-air
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the...with-nitrogen/
http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/4302788.html

Nitrogen has its merits, but I still think it's not worth it if you have to pay to get it put in. Our other car had nitrogen put in it when we bought new tires from Costco. We got tires at the same time for the ML but at another place that didn't use nitrogen. It's been about half a year now and I haven't noticed any difference between the two besides the slight fluctuation with temperature in the air-filled tire. Personally I check the pressures whenever I get to dressing the tires after washing the cars anyway so the minute drop in pressure in the air-filled tire wouldn't matter to me anyway. Even if you have nitrogen in them you should still check them.
i would agree with u but its a proven fact that nitrogen wont leak out like regular air does and with most places u get the nitrogen at if it does leak they usually fill/top it for free cuz thats why you buy it, it shouldnt leak, and where do you live? i know in places where there is extreme heat or where it gets extremely cold you will notice a few pounds of air loss, and also note that most cars dont have a tire sensor like ours so if the pressure goes down a bit most people dont get an annoying tire warning in there hub which to me is annoying so i would have to agree its a good bang for your buck, but not something one must have. you get what you pay for, my .02 cents
Old 04-13-2009, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Wow that's a sentence & a half
Old 04-13-2009, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by CrAZyVeGAsBoY
i would agree with u but its a proven fact that nitrogen wont leak out like regular air does and with most places u get the nitrogen at if it does leak they usually fill/top it for free cuz thats why you buy it, it shouldnt leak, and where do you live? i know in places where there is extreme heat or where it gets extremely cold you will notice a few pounds of air loss, and also note that most cars dont have a tire sensor like ours so if the pressure goes down a bit most people dont get an annoying tire warning in there hub which to me is annoying so i would have to agree its a good bang for your buck, but not something one must have. you get what you pay for, my .02 cents
All new cars even before 2008 have tire pressure monitoring now in the US. ALL of them. It's a new law.

The muddy pig who keeps this thread going and going is obviously peddling nitrogen, now we know why he can't just let it go and admit that he is wrong.

Also - the morning dew on your paint also happens inside your tires?!?! You are clueless. Go sell some nitrogen elsewhere.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by CrAZyVeGAsBoY

I never said nitrogen leaks out exactly like air does through a tire. As my profile says, I live in Michigan, so I obviously experience the extremes of both hot and cold weather. Neither of my cars have tire pressure monitoring except for my own eyes and a tire pressure gauge.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by acr2001
All new cars even before 2008 have tire pressure monitoring now in the US. ALL of them. It's a new law.

The muddy pig who keeps this thread going and going is obviously peddling nitrogen, now we know why he can't just let it go and admit that he is wrong.

Also - the morning dew on your paint also happens inside your tires?!?! You are clueless. Go sell some nitrogen elsewhere.
Most tire pressure monitors do not set off a warning until the tire pressure has dropped substantially. Of course, it would be nice if the C had a read out for each individual wheel.
As far as the "morning dew"...the inside of the tire will have condensation once the ambient temperature drops below the "dew point"...obviously only if there is moisture inside.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah, and that site isnt biased?
Why of course it is! Note I said, make the choice for yourself. You see, this debate is going to go back and forth, and it's up to the individual to justify the expense or not. Most of the guys at MB dealerships say it's snake oil or little benefit...so go figure?

Most of us don't drive on a track, going over 100MPH constantly, or our MB's transform into a jet and take off for flight. So will you even see it?

Costco is free, Pep Boys is pretty cheap. Most of the others are around $10-20, and currently I have to admit NONE of my cars have nitrogen in the tires.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Can tyres be inflated with Testosterone? Plenty available in this thread!!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by Carsy
Can tyres be inflated with Testosterone? Plenty available in this thread!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen for tyres...