C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Pictures of the new/slimer/less windnoise side mirror

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 11:10 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Mirror size

Originally Posted by C300Sport
I don't doubt your measurements of the actual mirror dimensions. What you seem to be unable to acknowledge is that 1/4 inch of mirror can actally increase one's field of vision. The increased size helps reduce the blind spot directly behind each side of the vehicle...think of a motorcycle rider, close up in the left or right track. You can see his head over the vehicles tumblehome without having to set your side mirrors too high.

Yes, and my perception is I can see more area in what once was my blind spot. If you need a reference, simple ray divergence mathmatics shows that a 1/4" addition to the mirror will grow exponentially and end up with several square meters of visual coverage by the time you clear a couple meters past the rear of the vehicle...even more so with the convex properties of passenger side mirrors.
After some consideration, I am going to correct my previous statement about the comparative sizes of the mirror glasses themselves.

Today I taped my spare new style left side mirror (convex, now replaced with a flat glass) against the mirror of my old right side mirror to measure the true difference. The photo below shows that the new glass is a bare 1/4 inch lower at the center top tapering down to a match at the ends. The photo shows that at the upper inner corner, they are the same height which counters your statement about seeing over the tumblehome. The mirror width is the same which means that the left/right view is the same. Since the bottom edge is in the same spot as before, what's up at the top is blue sky. Perhaps you need to tilt your mirrors up a bit?

After using these for quite a long time now, I have concluded that the very slightly reduced vertical dimension is of no consequence. I drive the car nearly every day in fast heavy freeway traffic and have no problems with seeing who's alongside. And just yesterday I read an article that says Seattle now has the worst traffic in the US. I believe it.

BTW, I removed the convex left glass because although I could see vehicles off my left rear quarter, they were closer than they looked which forced me to to turn my head to locate them which is a dangerous maneuver. The convex (Euro) right side mirror with the slightly angled end remains and I like it.
Attached Thumbnails Pictures of the new/slimer/less windnoise side mirror-p1010071.jpg  
Old 01-29-2010, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by RLE
After some consideration, I am going to correct my previous statement about the comparative sizes of the mirror glasses themselves.

Today I taped my spare new style left side mirror (convex, now replaced with a flat glass) against the mirror of my old right side mirror to measure the true difference. The photo below shows that the new glass is a bare 1/4 inch lower at the center top tapering down to a match at the ends. The photo shows that at the upper inner corner, they are the same height which counters your statement about seeing over the tumblehome. The mirror width is the same which means that the left/right view is the same. Since the bottom edge is in the same spot as before, what's up at the top is blue sky. Perhaps you need to tilt your mirrors up a bit?

After using these for quite a long time now, I have concluded that the very slightly reduced vertical dimension is of no consequence. I drive the car nearly every day in fast heavy freeway traffic and have no problems with seeing who's alongside. And just yesterday I read an article that says Seattle now has the worst traffic in the US. I believe it.

BTW, I removed the convex left glass because although I could see vehicles off my left rear quarter, they were closer than they looked which forced me to to turn my head to locate them which is a dangerous maneuver. The convex (Euro) right side mirror with the slightly angled end remains and I like it.
RLE...you make me laugh. As usual, you are out to prove a point, come he!! or highwater. My first post on this thread was simply to state that my first impression upon jumping in a 2010 was that the mirrors were noticeably smaller. I wasn't even thinking of the mirros so the difference was enough to readily make it self noticeable.
As I said when I put forth my example, I did not have mirrors side by side to compare and was actually using your description to simply describe how additional vertical glass improves rear visibility.
Anyhow, I am glad we both have mirrors we like as I am sure Atlanta has got to give Seattle a run for it's money when it comes to having to avoid crazy, distracted and aggresive drivers.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Just picked my car up and I took a look at both cars side by side. RLE has a point that the mirrors are pretty close in size. What seems to make the big difference is that the old style is mounted higher and further outboard. I guess as with trailer towing mirrors...mounting a bit higher and wider seems to give a bit better view...for me anyhow.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White 2010 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Devastator187
This is the Lexus LS...

never knew the toyota emblem on the steering wheel is the same as a LExus