C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

TPMS on new wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 c400 sport 4 matic
The only thing in my manual is how to reset tire pressure. Thats it. If ANYONE has steps to relearn the new sensors to the car please post. Everyone is clueless on this everywhere I ask. Am I the only person to have 2 sets of wheels and not bring the car to the dealer for this? I cant seem to get in touch with Luke on the tire rack forum either.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 AM

2009 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by GateKeeper
Strange you see nothing in your owners manual, I just went out and grabbed mine out of the trunk, checked the index and found all what one needs on page 273 of the manual.

I was actually surprised considering I have a Canadian model C350 and we don't have TPMS sensors, but the manual tells me exactly how to set it up

if you cannot find it, I will type it up for you as I see it in the manual

Cheers

GK
??? I have a C300 4Matic and mine has TPMS sensors. I have seen them when replacing my stock tires.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:38 AM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
Originally Posted by sameer13
??? I have a C300 4Matic and mine has TPMS sensors. I have seen them when replacing my stock tires.
I was under impression that Canadian vehicles did not come with TPMS sensors, very strange, I believe your so far the only one that has them.

These sensors are on the rim itself, right ? They are part of the valve stem, not a rubbery type, but a hard style, that allows no movement ?

@ 98 Woody

I will get my manual and type out what I see in it, it might help you out, it will be hopefully within an hour or so.....

Cheers

Old 05-27-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
Originally Posted by 98woody
The only thing in my manual is how to reset tire pressure. Thats it. If ANYONE has steps to relearn the new sensors to the car please post. Everyone is clueless on this everywhere I ask. Am I the only person to have 2 sets of wheels and not bring the car to the dealer for this? I cant seem to get in touch with Luke on the tire rack forum either.
The instructions you're referring to are indeed the steps necessary to reset the system and recognize new sensors. If that isn't working, then there is a compatibility problem.

You REALLY need to get on the horn to TireRack's customer service line - you don't have to talk to the same person - just call their number and start asking for help.

And I repeat: the Schrader sensors that came with my TireRack tire/wheel package did not require ANY intervention - they were recognized immediately. It sounds like they used the wrong ones in your case.

They WILL pay to have the tires broken down, sensors replaced, and tires re-balanced, if that's what it takes. As suggested, you need to control yourself on the phone and just let them solve the problem, at no cost to you. I predict that they will do exactly that.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
GLA45 AMG, GLC43 AMG
As per the Owners Manual

Restarting the TPMS

When you restart the TPMS, the system sets new reference values for each tire. The TPMS must be restarted when you have adjusted the tire inflation pressure to a new level. The TPMS is then recalibrated to the current tire inflation pressures

Restart the TPMS after adjusting the tire inflation pressure to the inflation pressure recommended for the vehllce operating condition. Tire pressure should only be adjusted on cold tires..............

Switch on the ignition

press button < or > on the multifunction steering wheel to select the
Service menu

Press the button /\ or \/ on the multifunction steering wheel to select
Tire Pressure

Press button OK on the multifunction steering wheel to confirm.
The following message appears in the multifunction display:
Tire Pressure
Monitor
Active

Press button \/
The following message appears in the multifunction display
Use Current
Pressures as New
Reference Values
Press 'OK' to Confirm

If you wish to confirm: Press button 'OK'
The following message appears in the multifunction display:
Tire Press. Monitor
Restarted

After driving a few minutes the system verifies that the current
tire inflation pressures are within the system's specified range. Afterwards, the current tire inflation pressures are accepted as reference values and then monitored

If you wish to cancel: Press the 'return' key

Hope this helps
Old 05-28-2009, 06:55 PM

2015 c400 sport 4 matic
Ok I wasted my time talking to about 5 people at Tire rack all of which spoke with the service tech at tire rack and they insist everything was ok. THEN I spoke with Luke, he was right on it and found out there was a bad batch of sensors made and I got 4 of them. He is sending new ones right out and also reimbursing me for the install mount and balance. I have to say, the whole deal is a pain, but he is going to the extent that he can to make me happy and make it right. Luke really knows his stuff, and his help is very much appreciated. Moral of the story, I would just order through him and skip all the BS with the rest of the fools that work there.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by 98woody
Ok I wasted my time talking to about 5 people at Tire rack all of which spoke with the service tech at tire rack and they insist everything was ok. THEN I spoke with Luke, he was right on it and found out there was a bad batch of sensors made and I got 4 of them. He is sending new ones right out and also reimbursing me for the install mount and balance. I have to say, the whole deal is a pain, but he is going to the extent that he can to make me happy and make it right. Luke really knows his stuff, and his help is very much appreciated. Moral of the story, I would just order through him and skip all the BS with the rest of the fools that work there.
Would have been interesting to know more details about the bad batch. There was one that wasn't actually faulty but was configured to some sleep state where activation asked for continuous driving at some minimum speed for quite a long time, something one would naturally face only on a longer highway trip.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:17 AM

2015 c400 sport 4 matic
dont know he said there was a bunch of them that were no good. Its funny how everyone else argued that the sensors were ok and it must be my new car with only 300 miles on it or I must be doing something wrong.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 GLK250 Diesel
I've been saying all along:

-That the sensors should work from the get-go with no intervention on your part [ours did, from the same source, after all], which meant that the sensors themselves had to be the problem.

-That TireRack would take care of the extra expense.

That's how it turned out, right?

I agree that the extra hassle is not something they can reimburse you for. My latest set of tires/ wheels arrived from them with the balance screwed up, so they paid to have them re-done [and they are now perfect, by the way]....but the extra time and energy I invested in the deal are all on me, the customer.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:20 AM

2015 c400 sport 4 matic
Ok, Luke took care of things. He sent me new sensors and the dealer installed them. They worked right away, dealer also said the other ones were not the right sensor, totally different. Luke is also getting me a refund for my 2nd mount balance and install. I recommend everyone deal with him, NOT just anyone from tire rack.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:08 PM

A few different ones
Any pictures of your car with the new wheels ?
Old 06-18-2009, 06:16 AM

2015 c400 sport 4 matic
It wont let me repost the pictures. But I have the link to where I posted them before: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ar-wheels.html