C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

DESPERATE HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Luxury w/sport grille
Unhappy DESPERATE HELP NEEDED

Hello fellow w204 owners...
Alright... so I was finally trying to install the LEDs on my eyelids(yes, I know like a year after everyone else) and I had a hell of hard time removing the driver's side one...

I committed the one and foremost mortal sin of changing eyelid bulbs... have u guessed yet? Yep, I was using plyers that were too thick, and since I couldn't see anything, I by mistake pulled on the wires and not the actual cap... I thought it was out... until I noticed I had ripped a wire...

It was the bulb that has 3 wires on it... now neither of the 2 bulbs in that side will turn on, I tried "touching" the side I thought it belonged to once the bulb and cap were actually out, and nothing... I hope I didn't make things worse...

Please let me know if there's something I can do... :'(
Should I just take it to the dealership and buy a KY tube on the way there?

I'm really sad... haha :/ I think modding is not for me

Last edited by RafaHim; 05-29-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport 4MATIC™ Sedan
sorry to heard that...
i juz change leds on my eyelids at 11pm....
must be nice everything....
Old 05-29-2009, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
The reason it didnt work when you temporarily attached the two wires is that the system needs a "restart" if the circuit is broken.

Reattach the wire and take the key out then insert it again and the lights should work.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by vic viper
The reason it didnt work when you temporarily attached the two wires is that the system needs a "restart" if the circuit is broken.

Reattach the wire and take the key out then insert it again and the lights should work.
Wow... really thanks for your fast response...
the thing is I sort of messed the wire up... should I strip it and stick it back into place? because there's only a little bit of wire showing... and the one that is still attached is a bit stripped too but it is still attached...

Is there a way to know to which side it corresponds? I'm assuming its the one that is also stripped, but not sure...

Is it dangerous to be driving around like that, in the event I do need to take it to the dealership?

And lastly... I'm assuming that it might be easier to work on this if I removed the headlight, that way I actually have space... because here I'm trying my best but the space is minimal since its on the drivier's side... what do you think?

I'm sorry about all the questions and thanks a lot again
Old 05-29-2009, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Its a bit hard to say what to do without seeing the damages, could you take a picture of it?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:34 AM

Its a bit hard to say what to do without seeing the damages, could you take a picture of it?
yeah but probably until tomorrow what time is it overthere?
thinking about it,I might be able to reattach, but I would have to dissasemble the cap I'll take a picture as early as I can here
thanks a lot again!
Old 05-29-2009, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S213
Its 7.40 in the morning here now, keep in mind that if you need to take the light assembly out you also need to remove the front bumper.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:45 AM

its 12 overhere... I'll proba be taking this at around 7-8am tomorrow.. so ~2-3 pm overthere... is that fine?

I didn't know I had to do all of that
it'll very likely mess things more up trying to do all of that... so I was thinking... if I can't fix it with the space provided, then I guess dealership will be best option?

Am I supposed to be able to disassemble that orange cap?
Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
E63S || C63 || E550 Coupe || Cayenne ||
the driver side is really hard to take out,. i almost gave up and used pliers but luckily i got it out. hope everything works out for you!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Take your car to any local electronics repair shop and just ask them to solder it back on for you. Likely to be much cheaper than having the dealer do it.
To remove my inboard driver side bulb, I actually used a 6 inch piece of metal coat hanger with a little hook bent on the end...just a gentle tug until the socket pulled free was all it took.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 AM

C300 sport 4matic
Its 7.40 in the morning here now, keep in mind that if you need to take the light assembly out you also need to remove the front bumper.

I was able to take my light assembly without completely taking apart the bumper... Enough room, kinda like delivering a baby...

I do agree that you will need to let the system reset itself. don't panic, the extra 30 minutes to an hour spent will save you a lot of money if you have to take this issue to the dealer.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:07 AM

Pics

Hi, sorry for the late post... the world is conspiring against me and I couldn't find my camera, so I took them with my camcorder... here are the pics

ohh and lastly, that weird "screw" shown in the attached picture does not need to be removed in order to remove the headlight... right?

thanks everyone for the support!! I know that now it doesn't look like a big deal... but I was panicking last night when it happened because, on top of everything else, I couldn't see anything. Thanks again for the support, specially to vic_viper who responded amazingly fast!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:11 AM

C300 sport 4matic
thats not too bad... just go to autozone pick up some spade connectors and resplice the wires and back in
Old 05-29-2009, 11:57 AM

but I need to take the ones that are in there out before, right? I'm sorry I'm so bad at this :/
Is there a way to tell which side it belongs to?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by spoolIT85
I was able to take my light assembly without completely taking apart the bumper... Enough room, kinda like delivering a baby...

I do agree that you will need to let the system reset itself. don't panic, the extra 30 minutes to an hour spent will save you a lot of money if you have to take this issue to the dealer.
My parents are OB-GYNs... maybe I should ask them to do this for me

I think I read some instructions from you on how to remove it... you did it from the wheel space, right?