C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Harmon Kardon L7

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C300 4Matic
Harmon Kardon L7

I don't think it has been said how wonderful the HK L7 system is...

i was skeptical at first and had started researching putting in aftermarket speakers into the c300...

then i sat in the car turned the system up... and DAMN!...
great sound... clear vocals... highs, mids all crisp... and the amazing thing the vocals sound like they are all around you... the bass is even great... clear and clean... no rattling...

i might still put in a mono amp + 12" for extra bass... but that is really personal preference... without the extra bass it still sounds amazing.

just thought i'd make this thread biggin up the L7 system after throwing in the kanye west 808s and heartbreak cd... the beats are ridiculous in the car...
Old 06-04-2009, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w205 - Black
Yes the sound is nice.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Originally Posted by TB5...
I don't think it has been said how wonderful the HK L7 system is...

i was skeptical at first and had started researching putting in aftermarket speakers into the c300...

then i sat in the car turned the system up... and DAMN!...
great sound... clear vocals... highs, mids all crisp... and the amazing thing the vocals sound like they are all around you... the bass is even great... clear and clean... no rattling...

i might still put in a mono amp + 12" for extra bass... but that is really personal preference... without the extra bass it still sounds amazing.

just thought i'd make this thread biggin up the L7 system after throwing in the kanye west 808s and heartbreak cd... the beats are ridiculous in the car...
Throwing Kanye West IN?? Shouldn't you be throwing his pompous a$$ OUT?!?! LOL just giving ya *****.

It is by far the best OEM stereo I've ever had in a new car. I've always bought the upgraded sound system when purchasing a new car. In the past I've ended up ripping them out and replacing everything. In this car, I think I'll just add a mono amp and two 10's to the back to reinforce the low end. Two tens or a single twelve should be perfect for me because I don't want it to sound too loud outside the car.

One things I've read though, is that in higher end lux cars (MB, BMW, Lexus) they are so well built and insulated that you have to have more powerful gear to get the bass to sound as loud. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience on this? Maybe the salesperson just wanted me to buy bigger (more expensive) stuff?!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C300 4Matic
well i assume if they are built well and insulated... then the bass would sound amazing inside.

also the rear folding seats will only help with the bass inside the car!

lol @ kanye... he is losing respect very very quickly with me! money F's up everyone... but his beats are some of the better in the industry... and compliment the system very well!
Old 06-04-2009, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C300 4Matic
well i assume if they are built well and insulated... then the bass would sound amazing inside.

lol @ kanye... he is losing respect very very quickly with me! money F's up everyone... but his beats are some of the better in the industry... and compliment the system very well!
Old 06-04-2009, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350

True, but assuming you don't fold your seats down, the bass has to travel through a fairly sturdy and think back seat. I think that is what he was referring to. Since I have two kids seats back there I won't have the ability to do that too often. But I remember when I had my old car, I would flip that seat down and it was a seriously noticeable difference.

I don't recall , do our seats have a pass through in the rear armrest?! If so, that might help a bit.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:08 PM

C350
you can 'ave whateva you like....

i wonder what that will sound like... plus all my other 150 (yes it's small I know) songs in my library....especially hoping 'low' comes out good (when I get the car)

also I think "Fire Burning" by Sean Kingston fits the car well

Man, I need to stop using limewire and start using iTunes, cause the quality is much better. Which you need if you want to listen to them loud with nice speakers like these...
Old 06-04-2009, 04:08 PM

C350
you can 'ave whateva you like....

i wonder what that will sound like... plus all my other 150 (yes it's small I know) songs in my library....especially hoping 'low' comes out good (when I get the car)

also I think "Fire Burning" by Sean Kingston fits the car well

Man, I need to stop using limewire and start using iTunes, cause the quality is much better. Which you need if you want to listen to them loud with nice speakers like these...
Old 06-04-2009, 04:10 PM

C350
I need to start buying iTunes music instead of using limewire (high quality music really makes a difference on high end speakers)

I think Fire Burning by Sean Kingston just matches the car somehow... I don't know why though :P
Old 06-04-2009, 04:33 PM

C350
I bought the following 12" and amp and put it(the 12") in a sealed enclosure and the sound in the car is amazing:
http://www.woofersetc.com/p6249/MRPM...-amplifier.htm

http://www.woofersetc.com/p6225/IDQ1...-Subwoofer.htm

Amazing sound quality and not overwhelming but can get plenty loud if needed. My seats don't fold down but plenty of sound gets into the cabin. I went for sound quality over pure loudness and the above gave me a great combination of both.

Last edited by Dj Kevin D; 06-04-2009 at 04:34 PM. Reason: first link was incorrect
Old 06-04-2009, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
This is on my list of things to do now that I'm moving into modding my interior. My stock audio is...ok...but want something a bit more. Clean sounding instead of block pounding. Unsure if I really want to sacrifice the trunk for a custom show setup. Those Alpines look good. Also looking at a JL setup.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:12 PM

C350
That's exactly how i would describe it...more Clean sounding instead of block pounding. I was originally going to go JL, but the sound quality of these are just as good(actually maybe a little cleaner sounding than the JL equivalent) and they fit in a much smaller box (1 cubic foot)so they don't take up much trunk space.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:14 PM

C350
I was scared to do it at first but everything came out perfect and i've had zero problems. I would definitely tell those that are worried about altering the stock hk system to not worry; just have it installed by someone who does professional work.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
The Harmon Kardon Logic 7 in our car is indeed pretty nice, especially when playing the DVD-A surround sound music.

My car came with a Harmon Kardon Logic 7 sample DVD-A disc, it has some very nice showcase surround sound music tracks. I highly recommend this DVD-A disc. If you don't find one in your car, it is worth to contact your MB dealer to get one.

Regards,
Old 06-04-2009, 06:11 PM

w205 - Black
Originally Posted by len56

Or you can simply download songs from limewire @ higher bitrates (192 and beyond).

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
The Harmon Kardon Logic 7 in our car is indeed pretty nice, especially when playing the DVD-A surround sound music.

My car came with a Harmon Kardon Logic 7 sample DVD-A disc, it has some very nice showcase surround sound music tracks. I highly recommend this DVD-A disc. If you don't find one in your car, it is worth to contact your MB dealer to get one.

Regards,
Man I didnt get this DVD-A from the dealer...time to make a call. Anyone else who did get one?

Also, IMO, sound is best when playing directly from a disc, 2nd would be from HD & pcmcia card, and third is from aux/ipod input.

Last edited by woedee; 06-04-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:21 AM

2009 C350
When I first got the car, the H/K system did not impress me as much as I thought it would. However one day after a month or 2 since the delivery, I started using the AUX input (I have the ipod kit, so I had to take apart the panel to reveal the aux jack) and ever since then, the sound quality dramatically improved, even when I play CDs or the radio. It is now crisp and clean and solid, and the bass delivers a lot more power when I want it to.

I'm not sure whats the logic behind this.. logic 7 perhaps..
Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 AM

2009 C350W on EDP
Yes, it is a great system....

FYI, here is link to an early review of HK-L7 in W204. I have also seen the technical demos at auto trade shows and the MB cutaway demo at the factory. Go to http://www.letsgomobile.org/en/2127/...-benz-c-class/

The HK-L7 is focused on audio fidelity and low distortion. It is also all-digital, using digital bus distribution from the sound processor to the speakers. The speakers units convert the digital signal to analog voicecoil drive signals and draw DC power to locally amplify the signal. This makes the system almost immune to noise and interference conducted through the air or car wiring.

The master equalization is preset for flat response that so as to account for each make, model, and interior option. It may not be loud or flashy, but it is accurate in reproducing the source input signal. The in-car tone control (limited equalizer) can be used to adjust for listeners personal preferences and/or partially compensate for hearing loss or deficiency.

Last edited by TRauppius; 06-05-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C300 4Matic
i wish there was a way to custom the equalizer... flat sounds aite... but with a bit of tweaking this system would sound even better im sure...

just not sure what values to place in the advanced eq menu.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:22 AM

S204 C220 CDI, VW Scirocco III 1.4TSI 160
I have the standard one and I think it's good! I can't put my music too loud or people start to look at me like I'm some kind of ricer
Old 06-05-2009, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by ctgilles
I have the standard one and I think it's good! I can't put my music too loud or people start to look at me like I'm some kind of ricer

the system/car is so well insulated that inside you can feel like you are LITERALLY at a concert!... and outside they would never know... with windows up of course.

and why is it... "ricer" to play you music loud :\... i guess if you are a attention ***** it's just sad... but i LOVE loud music... no other way to listen to it!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:12 AM

S204 C220 CDI, VW Scirocco III 1.4TSI 160
the system/car is so well insulated that inside you can feel like you are LITERALLY at a concert!... and outside they would never know... with windows up of course.

and why is it... "ricer" to play you music loud :\... i guess if you are a attention ***** it's just sad... but i LOVE loud music... no other way to listen to it!
We call them "johnnies" over here and they play music loud. But ****ty music like hardcore or jump and at 100dB with windows down. So now people generalise Even if it's just techno or pop that I'm playing.

But Dr Dre always gets the volume up... Pimpin'
Old 06-05-2009, 03:58 PM

w205 - Black
when listening to songs with heavy bass lines, my rear speakers rattle the interior cargo speaker cover (obviously this makes a rattle noise). Is this normal for our setup? I mean, is it unreasonable to expect zero rattle noises from the cabin?
Old 06-05-2009, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C300 4Matic
i get 0 rattles... and i play my music at just about max on some tracks.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Benz, GLA250 4matic
So how much is it if i buy it from the dealer? does any one else sell is like an after market stereo shop? does the system come with any subs? I have the stock 8 speaker system and I want a lot more boom w/o having to put in a $1800 system. Do i need the media package to run it as well? I not all into stereo systems so i need some help on this one