C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Need to one up somebody

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife wild, but she loves every minute of it.
Forget the cousin, and get yourself some therapy. A car will not help you with your low self-esteem.

Originally Posted by benzlvr2500
Sup guys, i need your help. Long story short, i have a cousin that i hate, who just recently bought an 01 w210 E430 and he thinks hes the ish now. Used to drive a Camry, now a Benz...acts like he doesn't know me anymore . So i decided that enough is enough, time to one up him. Well, I'm torn between either a 2005 w211 E500 or a 2008 c-class. Both of them have problems, though. The E500 is an old design, which is soon to be replaced, but as i observed at my cousin, an E-class is still the ish, even if its 10 years old...that stupid *****. Anyways, the new C-class is beautiful, a real neck breaker, but the only thing from keeping me buying one is its "image". I always see the c-class associated with the phrases "poor man's Mercedes," "entry level, comparable to an accord". That's not what i want to hear. So at this point i don't know what to do, give me your suggestions guys!!

Sorry for the realllyyy long post, but im really pissed right now

Appreciate the help!!!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by tanktube67
I know a few very wealthy people and they drive toyota Prius, there is not such a thing as poor man MB.
+1

The owner of J. Crew (probably worth $100 million) drove an old Accord. Depreciating assets are not a measure of status - or of much at all.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by ulovemybenzo
get a cls
your car looks good - nice work on the mods!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:41 PM

Waiting for W204 Facelift
C Class is Mercedes's entry level luxury car.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:41 PM

E350
Originally Posted by alexlev
This thread received more responses than deserved.

So did this one... https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-somebody.html
Old 07-25-2009, 04:43 PM

2008 Sport C-300, 2003 Accord Coupe V6
Originally Posted by tanktube67
I know a few very wealthy people and they drive toyota Prius, there is not such a thing as poor man MB.
So, is a 3 series BMW consider a poor man's Bimmer???
Old 07-25-2009, 05:44 PM

gets me from point A-B
WOW...I REALLY apologize, guys, that I gave you the impression that I just want to hop in a benz to beat someone. I always wanted to get a w204 since i first saw one, but needed to justify why. I would really appreciate if you guys stop raggin on me and instead give me helpful advice regarding cars, NOT mental therapy and all that b.s. thank you very much. And yes, I am young, if that means anything at all to you guys
Old 07-25-2009, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300
Originally Posted by Devastator187

yes
Old 07-25-2009, 05:49 PM

gets me from point A-B
Originally Posted by Devastator187
just my point. It really pisses me off when people say "C-class = inferior" and all that b.s. But when a 3-series is involved, they try justifying by saying "it costs more" "wins comparison tests" and all that. Although, i had a friend who made fun of me when i liked the w203 calling it a "high school kid's benz" but when the w204 came out he tried convincing his dad to get one...I guess times change.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C204
i do have to say, you guys are way more mature than the guys on the w204 forum...they're making me feel like a piece of $h!t
Old 07-25-2009, 06:34 PM

C200 Estate Kompressor W204, 2018 GLA 220d
Originally Posted by patrickkc
If a c-class is poor man's benz then what do you call a b-class??
+1 or the A class.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:32 PM

just my point. It really pisses me off when people say "C-class = inferior" and all that b.s. But when a 3-series is involved, they try justifying by saying "it costs more" "wins comparison tests" and all that. Although, i had a friend who made fun of me when i liked the w203 calling it a "high school kid's benz" but when the w204 came out he tried convincing his dad to get one...I guess times change.
There are acquaintances and there are friends. That person was the former.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Almost a Member!

How old are you? Who buys a car to one up someone? That's like a guy buying a car to impress a girl. Be your own man, you're wasting your time worrying about your cousin. You're the one driving it, drive what you love.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:42 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
You want our advice yet you call the vehicle of our choice a "poor man's benz" and such and mention it in the context of image. How in the world do you expect us NOT to rag on you?

The fact of the matter is we bought our cars because we love them for many different reasons. The only 'image' this car portrays is a sharp design that screams 'damn! that is hott!" and frankly we do not care what all the haters say, whether they drive BMWs or not.

"Entry-level Benz" my ***.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:19 PM

gets me from point A-B
Originally Posted by MB300AMG
You want our advice yet you call the vehicle of our choice a "poor man's benz" and such and mention it in the context of image. How in the world do you expect us NOT to rag on you?

The fact of the matter is we bought our cars because we love them for many different reasons. The only 'image' this car portrays is a sharp design that screams 'damn! that is hott!" and frankly we do not care what all the haters say, whether they drive BMWs or not.

"Entry-level Benz" my ***.
Sir, you're overreacting. I personally never thought of the C like that. I heard OTHER people saying that which is why i mentioned it in the first place. Other meaning - E class owners, 3 series owners, etc
Old 07-26-2009, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
Well, think of Audi's as overpriced VWs, Lexus as overpriced Toyotas, Infiniti as overpriced Nissans, etc then.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
Apologies for the long post guys, but I had to say this.

Sir, you're overreacting. I personally never thought of the C like that. I heard OTHER people saying that which is why i mentioned it in the first place. Other meaning - E class owners, 3 series owners, etc
I don't believe i'm overreacting because i'm merely pointing the facts out, which I know is not the harshest response you've received on this thread.

To be honest you are coming on here asking for our advice, while at the same time going on the E-Class forum (which some of us also read) and calling us a bunch of *******s. Do you really expect us to be supportive and happy with you?

And the E-Class owners are giving you better responses because you didn't (unintentionally?) insult their cars, so there's one answer for you.

__________________________________________________ ___________
Your Words:
"Anyways, the new C-class is beautiful, a real neck breaker, but the only thing from keeping me buying one is its "image". I always see the c-class associated with the phrases "poor man's Mercedes," "entry level, comparable to an accord". That's not what i want to hear."

To understand exactly WHY you're getting the responses that you are, I think you should begin by re-reading what you wrote to start this thread off. The main points which stand out there suggest that you are angry at your cousin, and are particularly concerned with 'image' as you pointed out there yourself. That right there suggests to us that you are a poser (whether that's the case or not I don't know but that is what it comes out as).

Now a "poser" is exactly someone we do not want among us because it is those people who give cars such as the C-Class and 3-Series bad names, and also give bad names to the brands overall. All of us here are enthusiasts and love our cars for what they are and we did not buy those cars purely based on image.

For the majority of us, there is no issue of not being able to afford an E-Class or something of that calibre. It is just merely that we chose the C-Class for personal reasons, whether we like the look or want a smaller Mercedes-Benz or want to be different etc. What is also important to note (and its what I have noted) is that as Mercedes-Benz drivers have more class than drivers of other brands because most of us do not feel the need to insult other brands and drive like *******s on the roads to make ourselves feel superior.

As C-Class drivers, we get crap not only from every other brand (especially BMW, Audi, Lexus and Hyundai) but also from drivers in the E-Class and S-Class cars because our cars are smaller than the others among other reasons. Considering you are on a C-Class enthusiast forum, those words do not go down lightly.

Anybody who tells you a C-Class is a "poor man's mercedes" clearly either can't afford one and is jealous, can afford one and is stuck up and full of crap, or drives a car from a rivalling brand and wants to make a cheap insult. There is no such thing as a poor man's mercedes because you pay a premium no matter which car you get, and I don't think poor people can afford $40-50,000+ cars.

__________________________________________________ _______________

I do understand the need to "give the finger" to people like your cousin because I also know people like that (and i'm sure every member knows at least one). However, you're talking to people here of all ages and frankly if you want to come out on top the best solution is to ignore it altogether and put yourself above that. People like your cousin do these things to compensate, and in the end if you make a decision based on someone else, you will end up regretting it.

As everyone else has said, buy the car you like. You'll be much happier and come out on top in the end. I personally vote for the C-Class because its an eye-turner (especially with the ladies, and i'm 21 btw and don't need cars to attract women, so that's an added bonus). At the end of the day it's YOUR car and you are the one driving it, so make a very careful and thought-out decision and do not include your cousin as a factor.

Last edited by MB300AMG; 07-27-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:40 AM

2008 c300
+1

Wow, long but dead on
Old 07-27-2009, 12:51 AM

09 C300S 4M
long response but nice one!

this thread is hilarious lol ... to the OP, don't worry about one upping someone with a benz. A benz is a beautiful machine, for confident people that know what they got when they got it. Go with the beamer to one up your buddy, this way when you realize you can't one up anyone in this world and you wasted your money doing so on a car, you'll be angry at bmw's and not benzes hehehe
Old 07-27-2009, 12:54 AM

E350
Originally Posted by keith100
+1

Wow, long but dead on

+2

Very insightful, constructive, and well thought out.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 4matic
if you are on the fence between the w211 and the w204, than choose the one that suits your needs and your driving.

The E500 definitely has awesome power, has plenty of room and trunk space, but the fuel economy is not as good as the w204. The E500 is definitely aging, but you could get a pretty good deal on one and do some cosmetic modifications to update the look and make it yours. Because it is an older car you will save a lot in taxes and registration.

The w204 is definitely more modern looking and wouldn't age as fast as the E500. It also has lots of new features, engineering and safety features than the 2005 E500. You will also get a new car warranty, and especially these days you could bargain on the selling price and extended warranty. It is a smaller car, but with me that is not an issue as I am single and wanted a lighter and sportier feeling car and back seat and trunk space is not very important. What sold me on the w204 is the new look of the interior. It is very sporty looking with improved quality and the LCD screen/Command feature is nice to have.

My neighbor in my condo, who happens to be an egotistical snob, recently bought a 2004 SL55 AMG a few months after I bought my C. In a nonchalant way he was rubbing it in my face. The SL55 is definitely an incredible car, but it's almost 6 years old and cost a little less than my new C300. I would love to own an SL, but it's very impractical for my needs. I'm laughing to myself that I could drive my 4matic C in the winter while my neighbor is stranded in his SL.
I always get complements from strangers in the parking lot, at gas stations, and from valets (who often park very expensive cars) -- it's a nice feeling.

Don't think much about your cousin, get a car that you really like. Brushing him off is criticisms and arrogence is the greatest revenge -- ignorance is bliss.
You will be happier in the long run.

Last edited by aowhaus; 07-27-2009 at 01:16 PM.