C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Installing UMI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300, ML 320, 190E
Installing UMI?

Has anyone bought and installed the UMI themselves? Is it simple to install or would you recommend the dealer doing it? If dealer, how much should I expect to pay for labor? I am thinking about buying the UMI from these guys and installing it myself:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...fAudioQ5fVideo

Is any other hardware needed to complete this installation?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 09:34 PM

ML350 W164
sirics,

Try this

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...i+installation

Try also searching UMI or Universal Media Interface in this forum.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:22 PM

C300, ML 320, 190E
Thanks 356!
Old 07-29-2009, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
Originally Posted by sirics
Thanks 356!
Also check and see if anyone has successfully updated the map information on the UMI yet? I seem to remember that was an issue.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I'd rather have it done at the dealership. Even if you know what you're doing, it's your responsibility if it malfunctions. I have been quoted $1,800 to $2,500 installed.

Last edited by Derspeed; 07-30-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
I called two of the local dealers in the area to inquiry about installing the UMI. One quoted $2100 installed, the other $2200. I am going to order it online for $1350 ( regular price is $1700 ) and the first dealer said they would install it for $400.

Nick
Old 07-30-2009, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
That's cool. The only problem is that if there is an issue with the hardware, you have to deal with seller via emailing and shipping back and forth.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
I have done the install about 10 times now, takes just over an hour and a half
Old 07-30-2009, 03:46 PM

2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
Does anybody know if the UMI kit also includes the cable which will charge an Ipod / Iphone ?

Nick
Old 11-02-2009, 01:43 PM

c250 blue efficiency CDI
Smile UMI

Originally Posted by vic viper
Hi you might be able to help me, I have the UMI and use a USB stick to play my MP3 files, the manual states that the USB functions the same as the iPod. however I like to play tracks at random or shuffle tracks. I seem to be able to select random for most devices but not the USB can you help?
Also do you know how to find out what revision of software/firmware has been installed and where do you get any updates from?
the manual suggests that updates are performed via the USB but I can't find a web-site that offers an update.
Thanks

Last edited by tonypsimm; 11-02-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:45 PM

2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
Tony,

I have the UMI and also use the USB to play files. Unfortunately, you cannot play tracks randomly or shuffle tracks when using a USB drive.

I'm not sure about revisions and updates though...

Nick
Old 08-27-2011, 04:04 PM

2009 MB C300 4Matic Sport
Make sure you shop around for UMI installation quote

All,

I just wanted to share a great example of why it is very important to shop around for quotes regarding not just the UMI installation but any labor done to your MB.

I went to MBUSA.com and selected the find dealer link and searched for official dealers within a 100 mile radius of my zip code. I got roughly 15 hits back.

So I started calling down the list speaking to each service dept adviser. I literally got a different quote for each and every place I called! Absolutely ridiculous! The quotes ranged from over $600 to the best at $265. Ironically the highest and lowest quotes are located less than 20 miles from each other.

I looked up the reviews for the dealer that had the best quote to make sure they had good comments. Each and every single review I found raved about how great the sales and service department are. If any of you reside in the greater Washington, D.C. area go to Euro Motorcars of Germantown, MD. Many have gone as far as to call them the best on the East Coast. A tall statement I know and others may disagree but they blow all others in D.C. , MD and VA out of the water. It's not even close!

When I spoke to them I told them I already had the UMI and needed a quote for labor. They knew exactly what I was referring to and offered me a quote right then and there. Half the other dealers didn't even recognize the term UMI or Nav +4...they had to go research it and call me back only to quote me a ridiculous price of 500-600 bucks and 6 hours for the install.

If any of you have followed this forum closely you know one of the more popular members Vic Viper (who is a MB tech) said he has done 10 UMI installs and it takes him just over an hour and a half to complete start to finish.

Bottom Line: Shop around and don't get ripped off...even if you have to drive a little farther, the money you will save in labor will more than pay for your time and fuel.

One last note, I purchase the UMI brand new in the box from a reputable seller on ebay for $750. I know many a weary about purchasing from so-called grey markets as ebay and Amazon but there's no need to pay an outrageous sum to pick up a UMI and get it installed.

If you do your homework and use Paypal you are well protected. I have been using them for over 10 years without any problems whatsoever. Even with the parts purchase and labor I'm right at $1000 which is great compared to $1800+ which many dealers are charging for parts and labor.

-KC
Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 PM

GLK 350
hi KC,

your post was invaluable. I am looking for a UMI kit for my GLK.

Do you think you can help me find a killer deal like you got on your UMI?

my local dealer quoted my $250 to get the UMI installed..i thought that was reasonable.

thank you again
Old 07-05-2012, 07:20 AM

GLK 350
Hi everyone,

I am interested in getting the UMI kit for my GLK. Does anyone know the difference between the following part numbers:

1) A204 870 7096
2) A204 870 7096 28

The difference is "28" added to the regular part number. Part (1) is available for $1275 at eBay from mercerdes dealership while Part (2) is $900 from eBay from non dealer. $400 is a lot of money (given that I just purchased a GLK).. I would rather get the (2) if it is the one and same!

Does anyone know if both part numbers are identical for UMI kit? If not, what is the difference? Also, is there a DIY guide to install UMI? My local dealer wants 4 hours of labor!!!??

Thank you
Old 07-12-2012, 02:34 AM

2011 Mercedes C300
Wirshad-

I just looked into all of this calling dealers in the Phoenix area. I had one dealer give me the same part number you found:

A204 870 7096 28

I asked what the difference was between the "28" and non "28" part numbers. His explanation after looking at everything on his computer screen, was that its probably because there is more than one manufacturer for the part, or the manufacturer was swapped out for a different one. He said they will add numbers to the end to differentiate between them, but they are essentially the same. I've ordered it from the dealership and should hopefully get it in a few days. I told them once they get it that then we can look over what comes with it to see if it has everything I expect the Nav + 4 to contain. Seems there are many different part codes for it. If you want the best price, call the dealership and give them your VIN to start. They will be able to tell you if your vehicle will work with it, or what exact part number you need for it. Then go to:

http://www.genuinemercedesparts.com/...?siteid=215306

and type in that exact part number in the search field ( - the A ). I found this site off the forum here "after" I ordered/paid for the part from the dealership. Dealer quoted me the MSRP of $990 + tax = $1017 for the equipment + $135/hr for labor (quoted 4 hours to install). If you go to that site though and look up that part number, they quote an online price of $792 for that same part. This is what I would do for any future parts I was trying to find.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:44 PM

c220
help umi installation

Originally Posted by vic viper

hi VIC VIPER

I have bought an umi kit from UK, like new, I'm in France,

I have 2 big problems when installing,
- I have wis, I have unmount all they said, no problem, but when I put the adaptation cable with 2 big connectors , there are no enough space for audio 20,
how to fix it correctly to have place for audio unit?

- 2d problem: I have no satellite signal, all works, but it appears always "0" for satellite logo, map is centered to stuttgart, I move the car, I drive 30- 40 minutes, nothing, the antenna seems to be new, cable too,

do you thing there is a compatibility problem between FR audio 20 and UK umi? or it must be star coded to gps works?
usb, audio streaming, tmc works (but no sound for tmc) the sound logo doesn't appears under the map , certainly because there is no signal and no indication .

I m desperate and I regret to unmount my car, I need help, It must have an explication; I don't think the umi box is defective, or the antenna ..

all information will appreciated.

best regards
Old 07-21-2013, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
From the UMI part number you can find if it is the correct part. I cannot see any reason for a difference between France and the UK.

If you just put the connectors properly and place cables away from blocking the radio to be inserted, they will all fit. It is tight but it fits.

Did you place the antenna upside down? Do you have the antenna loose so that you can try it both ways (it should read which one is up but may not). Keep the car under open sky long enough (perhaps up to 20 minutes).

The car needs version coding to activate the cluster navigation menu, the rest works without coding.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:51 AM

c220
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
From the UMI part number you can find if it is the correct part. I cannot see any reason for a difference between France and the UK.

If you just put the connectors properly and place cables away from blocking the radio to be inserted, they will all fit. It is tight but it fits.

Did you place the antenna upside down? Do you have the antenna loose so that you can try it both ways (it should read which one is up but may not). Keep the car under open sky long enough (perhaps up to 20 minutes).

The car needs version coding to activate the cluster navigation menu, the rest works without coding.

THANK YOU DIESEL BENZ to answer

1- about cables, do you put all connectors in the unit area? I try to do that, and It was very tight , I decided to move the original connector of the car outside the unit area near glovebox, and connect the umi cable , it was difficult , I don't know if it was recommended , and if it enables glovebox assembly...
I do a picture , look, do you think it's good? or need I put all in unit area, so how to organise connectors, car connector at right , under or back the unit? please could you do a little schema with a pen as mine.

2- about signal, I have tried it at different times along a day, 20 minutes or more, we are in a village, there is no big towers, syk is open, I drive the car about 30 min, nothing,
I tried without antenna, to see if it will indicate "-" instead "0" , it always indicate "0" as it not search signal;
I put my Iphone near with tomtom gps activated , trying to help signal , nothing..

is it normal that I have not the logo with an "))ear" in tray between "TMC" and "destination"
I think it's because I m not located, and no destination is designed.

before I bu this Umi I read and study a lot, the part number indicate that it's UK umi , but how to say that it's compatible with FR car, I think there is no reason , and all seems to work , if it's not compatible, nothing would work.

I m affraid that umi headunit is defective for signal searching ? I will order an antenna, which one do you advise to me? there is a lot of in ebay between 10 and 20 eur, and other members of forum said that it works .

a long time I hesitate to buy comand ntg4 or umi, and I choose umi because installation seems to be easier, but now I wonder if I should buy comand, the only difficult is to mount air ducts, and stardiag coding , some people say that MB does not want to activate it if you mount it yourself.

Installing UMI?-img.jpg