C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

WTF my front bumper has holes in it!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 mercedes c300
WTF my front bumper has holes in it!!!

i just bought a new 2009 mb c300 from a dealership...and now i need your help. I forgot to ask the dealer who screwed me over to not drill my bumper when i signed the papers and paid the sales tax on saturday....monday night they got the car delivered from another dealership. tues morning right when they opened, i called and asked nicely for them not to drill and ruin my front bumper. sadly, she told me it had already been done at the other dealership...i really dont want the car this way...i was thinking of complaining my *** off and threaten to break the deal if they didnt replace my front bumper. do you think it'll work? i can just say f this and walk out...the reason i think they would do it is because its the last 2009 they have, and i have a feeling that someone made it custom on their website, then didnt buy it....plus, its manual, and they only sell 2 of those per year, so i dont think they would risk losing me as a customer....(then again i really want this specific car...minus the elephant dick sized holes in the best looking part of the car ((((((((
do you guys think this is the best approach to this (the screw you guys, im going home)...or is there something else i could try that would hold up better...like ask her nicely to call the other dealership and ask them to replace it since they drilled it without being told to (allegedly)
thanks guys
Old 09-15-2009, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't despair. Follow my DIY: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-plug-diy.html
Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
the irony is that when i went to pick up my car, they didnt drill it but I told them to, under CA law, a front license plate is required.

ask them nicely if they would be willing to repair it instead.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 AM

09 mercedes c300
wow that helps a lot...and if i do get stuck with the swiss cheese car ill def do this (whether its illegal without a plate or not)...but since i just bought this car, and i paid out the *** for it (im 21 yrs old and will be working A LOT to own this), and i havent even picked up my car yet...why not have it my way...
the only valid argument that she would have is that its illegal in Mass without a front plate...but i was thinking i could just be like "ye but i wanted to mount it in a different spot...like the lower left part of the bumper"....
i just bought by far the most expensive thing in my life and im not going to be 100% satisfied with it...and i think its their job to bring my satisfaction to 100%...im depressed now (but not as much as before thanks to the DIY swiss cheese car hole plugger)
Old 09-16-2009, 12:42 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by theimpal3r
i I forgot to ask the dealer who screwed me over to not drill my bumper when i signed the papers and paid the sales tax on saturday....
I definitely feel for you, but as you stated above, you forgot to ask them to not drill it. I'm pretty sure it's part of a pre-delivery checklist. I literally caught my sales advisor minutes before they were going to drill it.
I'd definitely let them know that you're *really* disappointed, but IMO, I wouldn't pull the "F-this, I'm outta here." As you stated, MA requires a front plate so they have a leg to stand on and could use that against you if you try to break the deal.
Dealers must get this request more often then not nowadays because my SA had to read me the general "I have to tell you that you run the risk of getting a ticket for no front plate. Do you acknowledge that I've told you this?"

Again, sorry to be a kill-joy, but I'd try *asking* them to replace the bumper cover and if they don't, just plug the holes. You still win 'cause you'll have a C in your garage.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
let me also state that the front bumper has to be one of the most commonly replaced parts on a car. the reality is that in no time, you will have a fresh bumper installed
Old 09-16-2009, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
I told them specifically not to drill mine but my little bro bought a 350Z and the dealer drilled his. He plugged the holes with plugs from www.bumperplugs.com ..you cant notice them unless you're right on top of the car.

btw im the same age as you..gratz on the sick ride
Old 09-16-2009, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I had a customer that brought in his Boxster with the plugs from bumperplug.com and they are quite big. I would say about 5/8" of an inch.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:03 PM

09 mercedes c300
ok so update time
i went down there today and nicely told them that it was a big problem.
since the other dealership drilled the holes ahead of time i said it was their fault and they should replace it...the general manager told me he couldnt ask them since they did a favor by giving him this car. so i owned him by telling him that this car is manual, and since they only sell two of those per year it was probably sitting there for a long time and they couldnt sell it....plus it has 110 miles on it...wtf thats a lot....did they demo this car or something? plus a couple other things and he actually told me he has to find out...hes up for just covering the holes and having his ppl repaint the whole bumper. i told him that would be ****ty and he said he'll find out...
but...quick question...do the bumpers they order come already painted or not...so if he replaces the bumper will he have to repaint it anyway...because i thought they order them already painted from the factory. because if either way they will paint it at the dealership the paint job wont be as good as factory paintjob right?
id really like a factory bumper with a factory paint job to be ordered and replaced.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
the dealership will probably give it to a local body shop to paint it. and yes, it wont be as good
Old 09-17-2009, 12:25 AM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
I don't get why you're crying about this. You said it yourself that you forgot to tell them when you signed the papers not to drill the holes for the front plate. You waited until Tuesday to call...after the car had already been delivered and the holes were already drilled...and try to throw a temper tantrum. It's your own fault that you forgot to ask...so stop whining and trying to blame the dealer. If they do anything they are gonna patch up the holes, do a ****ty job repainting it b/c you're acting like a baby and down the road you'll be stuck with a front bumper with paint peeling off b/c they definitely aren't gonna take the time to strip the entire bumper before repainting it.

The day I signed the papers for my car I made sure to tell them not to drill the holes. I had to sign a form saying that I made the request. And what do you know...when I got the car...NO HOLES!
Old 09-17-2009, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
i agree with NJBNZ. you were remiss, lacked timely follow through,
and now (sorry to be blunt) playing out the drama.

get it plugged, be mature in your communication, and move on
Old 09-17-2009, 02:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
Perhaps you could work it to your advantage in a different way. Get them to throw in some accessories that you like (for free) and it can turn into a win-win situation. My dealer gave me all kinds of stuff out of the accessory catalog for free 'cause it's the second car we've bought from them. They won't lose much on the deal and you'll have a great car with some cool add-ons.

...just an idea.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
I dont understand.

You forgot to ask to NOT drill the holes and now your dealer has to pay the price??

I can understand if they deliver you the car with 110 miles that you gonna ask why/how? But about the holes, think you have no right to ask the dealer for a new bumper.

If this dealer comes with a solution for the holes, its a great dealer with a great customer service.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
theimpal3r,

You may be reading some lack of sympathy above for your position. I don't think it stems from your situation, but rather from the thoughts you express about the situation. I sense a demanding, rude, and somewhat spoiled attitude. If I were the sales manager, I would gladly take back the car just to end any future relationship. You should understand how people react to you to identify opportunities for self-improvement, as we all should. Please do not take this defensively and send back an insult...this is a good place to get some coaching to improve your outcomes.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
08 c350
yea I dont' get why u are mad either. Your mistake, don't blame anyone but yourself.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I dunno. I see his point. I think the dealer should ask before drilling into a car that someone just dropped $35k+ on. My dealer specifiacally asked me..I didn't even have to ask them.

My rear bumper had some weird dimples on it from the factory and they replaced and painted it in the dealer body shop....was never as good as factory. If I were you I'd just plug it....but if you think that it's gonna **** you off everytime you look at yor ride and see the holes..then go ahead and let them fix it. I'm sure it'll turn out ok
Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 AM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by C300Kid
I dunno. I see his point. I think the dealer should ask before drilling into a car that someone just dropped $35k+ on. My dealer specifiacally asked me..I didn't even have to ask them.

My rear bumper had some weird dimples on it from the factory and they replaced and painted it in the dealer body shop....was never as good as factory. If I were you I'd just plug it....but if you think that it's gonna **** you off everytime you look at yor ride and see the holes..then go ahead and let them fix it. I'm sure it'll turn out ok
Depending what state he's in it is illegale not to have a front plate on the car. Therefore it's the dealer's responsibility to make sure the car meets legal guidelines before it leaves their lot...otherwise they are responsible. In NJ you "have" to have a front plate on the car but I haven't had one on my past 2 cars and haven't had any trouble (knock on wood) so I had to sign a form saying that I gave the dealer permission NOT to install the plate and that I took responsibility, not the dealer.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NJBNZ
Depending what state he's in it is illegale not to have a front plate on the car. Therefore it's the dealer's responsibility to make sure the car meets legal guidelines before it leaves their lot...otherwise they are responsible. In NJ you "have" to have a front plate on the car but I haven't had one on my past 2 cars and haven't had any trouble (knock on wood) so I had to sign a form saying that I gave the dealer permission NOT to install the plate and that I took responsibility, not the dealer.
A front plate is required in Texas as well and I also signed the form taking responsibility..but the dealer has given me the option every time Ive purchased a car.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by jaeguyoon
yea I dont' get why u are mad either. Your mistake, don't blame anyone but yourself.
I agree. Seems like a Gen Y attitude to me.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:47 AM

09 mercedes c300
lol...wow somebody up there is throwing a temper tantrum about me throwing a temper tantrum...
anyways...most of you that are pissed of for some reason misunderstood...and i dont have time to clarify it all so w/e
the dealer swapped the bumper with a new one from a 2010...which is what i had wanted and suggested they do...but somehow he thinks he was the one who thought upthe idea...w/e...got my car....looks good...and i told the dealer i was really happy that he did that and any future MB business will be done with them,, even tho i have two ******* MB dealerships closer to me...im happy...theyre happy (that i took the manual tranny car off their hands...cuz they wouldnt be able to sell it once 2010 came around...since they sell only 2 a year)...everybodys happy....well...cept for the pissed off ppl up there ^
Old 09-18-2009, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lmfao
Old 09-18-2009, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
they were really quite generous here. good to hear
Old 09-18-2009, 02:18 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by theimpal3r
lol...wow somebody up there is throwing a temper tantrum about me throwing a temper tantrum...
ppl up there ^
As you state, at the end of the day, you're happy and the dealer is "happy", so that's all the matters I suppose. Time to start modding!

The reactions you received above were based on your words and attitude in asking for "help" from the board -> "...complaining my *** off and thretening to break the deal." This is after your self-admitted mistake in not asking for the no-drill during close of the deal.
If the dealer had mysteriously put pin stripes on your car after you closed the deal, that's one thing, but they were doing a legally required delivery checklist item.
I figured they'd resolve the issue to your satisfaction, but it was a pure Customer Service play. What do you think they were saying about you after you pulled away?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:54 PM

09 mercedes c300
Originally Posted by Doanster
after your self-admitted mistake in not asking for the no-drill during close of the deal.
well at least someone noticed that i did say that it was all my fault.
yes i was mad, but i was mad that my bumper had holes in it...i wasnt blaming them...i was "blaming" the other dealership for drilling before the car was sold.
and i didnt end up complaining my *** off..or threatening to break the deal...i just asked as nicely as i could for them to do me a favor and fix it.
and even if they were unhappy that they had to swap the bumper, im pretty sure they were much happier that they got rid of the car.
so thanks to those that helped me and were at least nice even if they dissagreed...and no thanks to those that couldnt resist being judgmental and calling me immature and a cry baby.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: WTF my front bumper has holes in it!!!