C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

how to close headrest?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the 2008 C 350 sport. Irridium Silver Metalic,Multimedia Package,iPod,18" AMG wheels
Originally Posted by hazee
It really requires HIGH force. I couldn't do on first attempt, will try again. Will try to snap aswell.
Thanks for this post, I'm going to try to snap mine into place MB of miami want to charge me $300 to snap it back for me. Wtf!!
Old 10-02-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 2010 GLK350 Neck Pro Reset, Solenoid Fried?

2010 GLK350 driver's side neck-pro triggered with out any rear collision. This version does not require tool - just to push it back in as per manula. Have tried several times: the steel link engages with the twin nylon hooks on the solenoid but give way again as they do not lock. It appears the solenoid may be shorted/fried. We have tried to energize solenoid using 12V but no response. and resistance came pretty close to zero ohm.

Can anybody help with a part# for the solenoid (or a resistance reading for a good working solenoid). I saw no easy way to extract the solenoid but there must be a way! sure. Any help appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-16-2014, 03:35 PM

C350
Originally Posted by jinsters401
Alright, the manual doesn't tell you how to do it, but I will. Sorry no pic, I do have it, but then I have to upload. Also, you are performing the below steps at your own risk, risk, risk. Or you can get it reset at the dealership, dealership, stealership, stealership. Steps below was performed on w204 2009.

Step 1: Car OFF, Key OUT.

Step 2: Remove the seat panel in the back of the seat. Two clips on the bottom. One on the right side and one on the left side. They are on there pretty tight. Once you pop them out, pull panel downward.

Step 3: Follow the wire coming out from the headrest metal pole, usually on the right side, to the 2 pin connector. Mines was yellow connector with GREEN and BLACK wire.

Step 4: Use a needle or a small nail and disconnect the connector.

Step 5: Using the same tool, release the GREEN and BLACK wire terminal from its connector. So there won't be a connector on its end and you have the metal terminal exposed.

Step 6: Attach the wire to a 12v battery. It should only take a second. Do not leave it on the battery for more than 1 second or it can damage the solenoid. What I did was attach an extension small gauge wire to each terminal, then attach it to my voltmeter prongs, then insert it to the cigarette lighter. The center is positive and the outer is the negative. I am electrically inclined so I wasn't worried. If you are not, please seek alternative. You can go straight to the fuse box of the cigarette lighter. Either way, you need to apply a 12v to the solenoid for it to either lock or unlock. If it doesn't unlock, reverse the polarity. I got mines to unlock by going GREEN to POSITIVE and BLACK to NEGATIVE.

Step 7: Pull down or push down the headrest into place. It was pretty easy and I wasn't a meathead. I recommend facing the seat from the right side, sit right on the center as if you are hugging the driver seat from the passenger side. Grab the head rest with your right hand and rest your whole arm on it and force it down like you are doing arm wrestling. Put all your weight on it.

Step 8: Put everything back together and don't forget the wire positive of the terminal when going back into the connector.

Step 9: Grab a beer and say "Yup!"

For same instruction, but in a professional fashion go here: http://www.justanswer.com/mercedes/4...est-latch.html
I essentially followed these directions to get the lock unlatched, but here are a couple pictures to help anyone with the same problem.

Picture #1 - The red boxes around the slots are where the bottom tabs of the back panel are attached to. Get your fingers under the panel at the bottom and just pull on it really hard. I suggest starting with one side at a time as opposed to pulling from the center. I felt like I was going to break the plastic, but it held up well.

Picture #2 - I couldn't get the plastic connector off the wires, so I attached open-ended 14-gauge wires to where the red arrows point.

Picture #3 - This is just a picture of the open-ended 14 gauge wire I used. I bought a replacement test lead set for this.

Picture #4 - This is how I attached the wire to the voltmeter prongs.
Attached Thumbnails how to close headrest?-1.jpg   how to close headrest?-2.jpg   how to close headrest?-3.jpg   how to close headrest?-4.jpg  
Old 01-16-2015, 12:02 PM

190e 2.3-16
That's the neck restraint system, and according to the manual it's a one-time use thing. The dealership will have to replace the mechanism.
I own a small dealership that focuses on rebuilt Mercedes and am looking at a C300 that's been rear-ended. Came across this thread after looking into how to fix the headrests that appear to be "deployed". Huge (lol) after reading this. The whole point of having an online forum is to help each other out to avoid going to the stealership. Whether it's recommending to purchase/borrow a star scanner, guidance to install wheel bearings, HIDs, etc. I wouldn't recommend a soul going to the stealership unless it's something major.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:24 PM

2011 c300
Exclamation Fracture in my cervical spine #2 &#3 from the neck pro head rest

Originally Posted by AL_ATC
LOL Kill by your own headrest

Was in a car accident was hit from behind at 50mph at a dead stop
The headrest hit me in the back of my neck
Went and got a MRI I have a Fracture in my cervical spine #2 &#3 from the neck pro head rest
I drive a 2011 c300

I have really bad neck pain and Migraine

Has this happen to anyone else ??
Old 10-18-2015, 06:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 393 Likes on 329 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Cpanek18
Was in a car accident was hit from behind at 50mph at a dead stop
The headrest hit me in the back of my neck
Went and got a MRI I have a Fracture in my cervical spine #2 &#3 from the neck pro head rest
I drive a 2011 c300

I have really bad neck pain and Migraine

Has this happen to anyone else ??

If you got hit at 50 MPH from a dead stop, the head restraint probably saved you from a snapped neck.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 Mercedes Benz c300 4Matic
I am having the same issue. Got rear ended about a month ago. I was able to put back the driver's side headrest with no problem. But the passenger side is giving me the hardest time in the world. Tried sticking a hanger at the back but nothing clicked. There are two clips that seem to be locked but I do not know how to open them up. I have attached a picture so that you can see the clips I am talking about. I appreciate your help guys. Mercedes dealer told me $150 to fix but screw that. I would rather leave it that way.

I have marked the clips that i feel should reset somehow
Old 10-27-2016, 11:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Tony Kuci
I am having the same issue. Got rear ended about a month ago. I was able to put back the driver's side headrest with no problem. But the passenger side is giving me the hardest time in the world. Tried sticking a hanger at the back but nothing clicked. There are two clips that seem to be locked but I do not know how to open them up. I have attached a picture so that you can see the clips I am talking about. I appreciate your help guys. Mercedes dealer told me $150 to fix but screw that. I would rather leave it that way.

Insurance should cover it!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:39 PM

I had no damage what so ever on my rear bumper, so to put a claim just for the reset of the headrests is definitely not worth it. That is why I am trying to do it myself.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

I had no damage what so ever on my rear bumper, so to put a claim just for the reset of the headrests is definitely not worth it. That is why I am trying to do it myself.
Well, if you got yours to latch, you are doing better than I was.

I could not get them to compress at all, so the shop that repainted the bumper said MB told him they needed to be replaced.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:37 PM

c250
Hi! Same thing happened to me. Did you find a way to unlatch the closed latch???????

Old 02-03-2017, 10:57 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
This is how to release the closed latch ...

Get behind the seat, two hands grab the bottom of seat's back panel (one for each side) and pull. This is where the difficulty is, pull it hard as you can. You feel that you could break the 2 tabs, but you won't. Slide it out and see the neck-pro connection. Unhook it and get a small battery (mine is 12v 9a). Connect 2 wires from battery to neck-pro plug. You'll hear a click ... congratulations, the latch is released
Old 05-11-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Demvang
This is how to release the closed latch ...

Get behind the seat, two hands grab the bottom of seat's back panel (one for each side) and pull. This is where the difficulty is, pull it hard as you can. You feel that you could break the 2 tabs, but you won't. Slide it out and see the neck-pro connection. Unhook it and get a small battery (mine is 12v 9a). Connect 2 wires from battery to neck-pro plug. You'll hear a click ... congratulations, the latch is released

Can I use my car's battery instead of a 12v to connect a wire to the neck pro?
Old 05-12-2017, 12:46 AM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Can I use my car's battery instead of a 12v to connect a wire to the neck pro?
Absolutely, then you need 2 longer wires. I always have a small 12v battery on hand to loosen wheel lug bolts and to inflate tires.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Kuci (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 07:57 AM

It worked!!! Thank you so much for the advice. I also found a video on YouTube that can be helpful to some people who are struggling with the same issue.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:30 PM

2011 C300 4Matic Sport
Glad you got it done. Believe it or not, I drove the car over a year with a deployed headrest
Old 11-18-2017, 01:07 PM

2014 C200 w204
Originally Posted by jinsters401
My headrest went off today when my gf took the car and someone rear ended her. I tried to put it back, but as always guys do what guys do. I accidentally put my hand in there and played with the latch and it clicked in the lock position. Lolz!! That is what guys do!

Anyways, here is the way to set it OFF.

Go here: http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/manual...ual_base.shtml

Then go to Safety, then Occupant safety, then scroll down to Neck-Pro Luxury head restraints. It talks about a tool in your manual booklet to insert it between the head restraint and the back cover. The diagram tells it all. Goodluck!!
My w204 2014 does not come with that tool. I tried so many times, still doesn't latch. Any comments?
Old 11-18-2017, 01:19 PM

2014 C200 w204
It worked!!! Thank you so much for the advice. I also found a video on YouTube that can be helpful to some people who are struggling with the same issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VeurEONqVg
I did that several times, but still didn't latch.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:47 AM

2014 C200 w204
Finally, I did.. Yey
Old 07-25-2018, 01:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
14 C63, 15 Ghibli, 03 Duramax
I know old tread but I've tried to latch and it won't lock. Thought the 2 prongs was lock so tried the 12v trick, but thinking I might of fried something. What's on other end of the wires in the headset? That's one issue. I messed around some more after the 12v trick and actually locked the 2 prongs now. Anyway to manual unlock the latches now?
Old 07-25-2018, 07:07 AM

w204 c300 2014
Originally Posted by loominlarge
I reset my drivers side. However, I accidentally pushed the catch latch down and it locked. Now I can't reseat the head rest. I tried a screw driver but it won't release. Anybody, know how to redeploy headrest again or know how to release latch?
crash. hahahahaha.. ill show myself out.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 479 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
Just wanted to provide some extra input. A YouTube comment suggested a 9V battery to unlock the clips; that did not work. I didn't have a 12v and didn't want to wire up to car battery, so I took a 20v power drill battery and used that. Obviously, be aware of the higher voltage, but it did not affect the system nonetheless.