C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

MB considers building the C-Class in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
MB considers building the C-Class in the U.S.

Daimler AG could move some production of the Mercedes-Benz C-class to the United States from Germany, a German newspaper reported Wednesday.

The Stuttgarter Zeitung said some C-class production could be transferred to the carmaker's plant in Vance, Ala., from Sindelfingen, near Stuttgart, as part of a wider production shakeup planned by Daimler to reduce costs.

In the future, the C-class sedan could be built in three locations: Bremen, Germany; Vance, Ala., and in China, the newspaper said.

Building about 80,000 C-class cars a year in Vance would save the automaker about $95 million (64 million euros) because the average hourly wage at the U.S. factory is about $44 (30 euros) compared with $74 (50 euros) in Germany, the newspaper said.

Moving some C-class production to the United States would allow Daimler to avoid swings in the value of the U.S. dollar against the euro, and save import duties and freight costs.

The Vance plant, which builds the M-, GL- and R-class models, has spare capacity. The plant built 66,710 units in the first eight months of this year, down from 136,138 the year before, according to the Automotive News Data Center.

The C-class is Mercedes' top-selling car in the United States with 34,432 units sold in the first eight months, down from 50,593 the year before, according to the data center.

Daimler told news wires that it had not made any decision on future C-class production.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/909239997
Old 09-23-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 W204
Mercedes will have the least labor costs among GM & Toyota? No wonder, GM had to go bankrupt!

Last edited by misterng; 09-23-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
I would never buy a Mercedes built in Alabama. I understand they are trying to reduce costs but I will not sacrifice build quality so they can save money. I doubt they will reduce the price on the cars.
I prefer to say my German Luxury Sports Sedan was built by Hans-not Bubba.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Your prejudice is not supported by my experience. We had examples of both generations of ML, and had no issues related to assembly...some engineering/design issues, yes...but nothing related to the plant. Best I know, those engineers and designers worked in Stuttgart.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:59 PM

2013 E350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by misterng
Mercedes will have the least labor costs among GM & Toyota? No wonder, GM had to go bankrupt!

These figures are incorrect, in terms of what the factory works are actually paid. GM plant workers are paid about $25-$30 dollars per hour plus approximately 40% more for overhead related to the company's share of social security taxes, benefits, etc.

The $70+ per hour figure factors in the costs of retirees health care costs and pension payments. Before bankruptcy, GM was supporting 4 retiree's for every 1 factory worker.

GM's actual wage rates are similar to their competitors now in the newly minted GM.

A new stock ticker was created for the old GM that holds a lot of the old debt.

-David
Old 09-23-2009, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
I would never buy a Mercedes built in Alabama. I understand they are trying to reduce costs but I will not sacrifice build quality so they can save money. I doubt they will reduce the price on the cars.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 09-23-2009, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
didn't know rednecks could build fine cars.
I have been to Alabama (going throught) and never plan to go there again.

Sounds like MB is getting rid of the South Africa plant.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
I don't know about now, but my '99 ML was pretty much crap. My made in the USA RDX is better but still not as good as Japanese built Acuras.

Your prejudice is not supported by my experience. We had examples of both generations of ML, and had no issues related to assembly...some engineering/design issues, yes...but nothing related to the plant. Best I know, those engineers and designers worked in Stuttgart.
The ML had $14.5k of warranty claims at the end of 6 years. Good thing I bought the extended warranty.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Sincity
I don't know about now, but my '99 ML was pretty much crap. My made in the USA RDX is better but still not as good as Japanese built Acuras.

The ML had $14.5k of warranty claims at the end of 6 years. Good thing I bought the extended warranty.

Perhaps, but to address the issue of assembly plant location, you need to break that out between plant-caused issues, which are usually noticeable upon delivery, versus engineering/design issues. A plant can perfectly assemble parts which will have a short life span, assuming pure fit is not the non-compliance.

Do you know if the Acura parts were sourced from the same supplier when built in the USA versus when built in Japan? The push for local sourcing can result in otherwise identical looking and numbered parts coming from two different suppliers.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Honda Accords are assembled in Marysville,Ohio. I'd say that is one of the most reliable cars on the planet.

GM's problem had more to do with the design of the cars and the bureaucracy. You can teach a monkey to tighten a bolt or push a button.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
Question Nothing about SA plant said ?

What is the future of the SA plant, or did the unions ruined the future ?
http://www.mercedes-benz.co.za/conte..._mb_world.html

Biggest export shipment of Mercedes-Benz C-Class this year
East London / East London witnessed the loading a large consignment of 2 674 locally built Mercedes-Benz C-Class cars, destined for the East Coast of the United States of America on the Grand Orion vessel. The vehicles will reach the US shores of Jacksonville on 23 September and Baltimore on 26 September. This is the single largest shipping consignment from Mercedes-Benz South Africa (MBSA) since November 2008.

Rainer Ruess, manufacturing site leader at MBSA's local automotive plant said that this shipment reaffirms that US customers are very satisfied with the South African build quality. In July J. D. Power and Associates presented a Gold Award for Initial Quality to the MBSA plant, following a US survey conducted among over 80 000 new US car owners earlier this year. The local plant was placed fourth in the world, after three Asia-based plants, outperforming all European, American and African automaker plants.

Terry Taylor, East London-based corporate affairs manager of Transnet National Ports Authority was delighted with the smooth and quick loading of this consignment, the first to make full use of the R20-million car terminal expansion project that was completed earlier this year. Setting a new benchmark cars were loaded at a rate of 170 an hour, 15% faster than the norm.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:04 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
Hello, I work at MBUSI and my name isnt Bubba......
Sorry some of you feel the way you do about Alabama, Mercedes Benz doesnt share the same opinion obviously since this may be our 4th vehicle being subcontracted out for MBUSI to build in the past 12 years. If the quality wasnt here they wouldnt be either.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by VelociRaptor
Hello, I work at MBUSI and my name isnt Bubba......
Sorry some of you feel the way you do about Alabama, Mercedes Benz doesnt share the same opinion obviously since this may be our 4th vehicle being subcontracted out for MBUSI to build in the past 12 years. If the quality wasnt here they wouldnt be either.
I don't think it is "some"...I think only one expressed that uninformed and prejudiced view, and does not have a good understanding of the plant's role in production. With my 26 years in the business, I can tell you our last ML was excellently assembled. Meanwhile, take a look at this:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ood-trunk.html

Quality spills are nothing to smile at, but it does show that no one is immune from error.