C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Uneven hood and trunk?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport 6MT
Uneven hood and trunk?

First week after owning my car, I noticed that when closed, both the hood and trunk were uneven, i.e. the passenger side of the hood had a big gap compared to the driver's side. The trunk was the same, albeit not as pronounced of a difference. I was able to adjust the bump-stops on the trunk lid to even things out, but couldn't do the same with the hood.
So, I took the car in today to get it fixed, which they did no problem. Looks perfect now. However, the SA told me that they also checked the trunk as well since there was a recall regarding gaps in the hood and trunk. Sure enough, the verbiage on the paperwork states: "Inspected hood and trunk gaps per recall. All now within spec tolerances."
Searched for old threads on this subject, but didn't find anything. Anyone else ever notice big gaps or uneven ones from side to side?

ps I still don't get why dealers don't have a loaner fleet; the free Susuki SX4 I got was close to my C, but not quite. I always felt that having a loaner fleet would be good advertising to get your customers to experience other models, which could end up getting you repeat business...
Old 09-25-2009, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Had the same with my trunk , dealer fixed it in 15 minutes...
Old 09-25-2009, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
My drivers rear door had to be adjusted. These things happen thats why there are warrenties.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
To those who followed the thread on C Class Build In The U.S., this current discussion on body panel alignment is more representative of a plant issue. Just for interest, those who posted above, where were your vehicles assembled?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Mine was made in Bremen
Old 09-25-2009, 10:59 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
East London, S. Africa...
Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
W205 C400
Im from Holland, and the car was build in Bremen
Old 09-25-2009, 12:00 PM

w204 - 350 N other white cars
hood the same thing here... i don't know about how big the gap on your hood is but mine is very minor.. however, i will get it fixed when i put the car in the dealership in the next two weeks...
Old 09-25-2009, 12:30 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by burnteggroll
hood the same thing here... i don't know about how big the gap on your hood is but mine is very minor.. however, i will get it fixed when i put the car in the dealership in the next two weeks...
"Big"... probably 1/4"-1/2" wider than the driver's side. You could see the top inner part of the headlight. Was the first thing I noticed when washing the car. No big deal, but then again, I'm a bit, how shall we say, picky when it comes to cars...
Old 09-25-2009, 03:53 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
1/2 inch?

Originally Posted by Doanster
"Big"... probably 1/4"-1/2" wider than the driver's side. You could see the top inner part of the headlight. Was the first thing I noticed when washing the car. No big deal, but then again, I'm a bit, how shall we say, picky when it comes to cars...
The big question is how the car ever got through the delivery center in California AND the dealer before you got it.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:59 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by RLE
The big question is how the car ever got through the delivery center in California AND the dealer before you got it.
Most people prob wouldn't have even noticed, but since it is an official "recall" or "TSB", it is curious how it got through.
Is there a comprehensive list of TSBs somewhere I can reference?
Old 09-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Doanster
You have every right to be picky!! The gap diff you are talking about is huge!!
I'm pissed off it got out of the plant gate in SA. There were some very minor alignment issues in early production but they have been sorted.

I'm an **** virgo & I looked at +- 20 new cars at my local dealer the other day & I was delighted to see they had perfect fit & alignment all round.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
My...my...my...all of these plant quality issues...and not one of them from an American worker in Alabama ...whatever name he might have!!
Old 09-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

American vehicles have shocking fit & finish but no one cares. See thread running on the 203 forum at present in this regard.
Old 09-25-2009, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Depends how you define "American". The issue had been the nationality of the assembly line workers. Those working in Honda and Toyota plants here are also American. And, check the data on several new Ford products, such as Fusion. The plant cannot improve the parts they receive. This is a distinction well understood inside my industry, but not very well outside. I can assure you from personal knowledge that the lack of caring comment is just simply not true, despite what may have happened 10 or 20 years ago. I know you experience this same frustration with people who claim to be oil and gas "experts"!
Old 09-25-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C300 Sport Palladium Silver & 2012 GLK350 4matic Black
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
My drivers rear door had to be adjusted.
+ 1. My car was built in Bremen.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Depends how you define "American". The issue had been the nationality of the assembly line workers. Those working in Honda and Toyota plants here are also American. And, check the data on several new Ford products, such as Fusion. The plant cannot improve the parts they receive. This is a distinction well understood inside my industry, but not very well outside. I can assure you from personal knowledge that the lack of caring comment is just simply not true, despite what may have happened 10 or 20 years ago. I know you experience this same frustration with people who claim to be oil and gas "experts"!
I worked with all the major OEMs at one time in my career on technical support mainly - see the other Andy Meng thread so I don't have to repeat myself.

I have a problem with the American auto companies - their management & their expensive staff for what they do.

This nonsense about not being able to do anything about the parts they receive is just that - nonsense. When this craply moulded dash arrives with rough edge trimming & a SRS airbag cover that does not fit autoworkers should refuse to fit it, & push up the line to management as they would in Japan.

I was directly involved with the commissioning of the Shanghai GM Buick Regal plant & it's first few years of production. When all this crap arrived the Chinese revolted - went to management & steadily worked all the rubbish out of the cars. Today a car from Shanghai GM is a lot better finished than one built in the US. There might be some improvements taking place now because the industry is on it's knees but history tells us it's never maintained. Iacocca improved quality at Chrysler all those years back - but it did not last.

America used to export a hell of a lot of cars to the ROW at one time. Today their export sales are zilch because no one wants them.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Different perspectives from different experience, perhaps. Maybe we shall agree to disagree on the role of the assembly plant worker. Although, I think we have probably have more agreement on what happens in the process before material arrives at the plant. Although circumstances may be different where we each have been, my prior point was not nonsense.

But, getting back to the key point, we had a fairly prejudiced and offensive stereotype regarding a German name and a slang American nickname, offered by a poster a while ago, and it remains unsubstantiated by current data. Your final point on loss of international share also belongs at the doorstep of management, not the assembly workers.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sportstick
Different perspectives from different experience, perhaps. Maybe we shall agree to disagree on the role of the assembly plant worker. Although, I think we have probably have more agreement on what happens in the process before material arrives at the plant. Although circumstances may be different where we each have been, my prior point was not nonsense.

But, getting back to the key point, we had a fairly prejudiced and offensive stereotype regarding a German name and a slang American nickname, offered by a poster a while ago, and it remains unsubstantiated by current data. Your final point on loss of international share also belongs at the doorstep of management, not the assembly workers.
Firstly, I don't condone stereotypes or any form of prejudice - be it ethnic, racial, religious, cultural, social strata or whatever. I have worked with most nations on this planet - 227 to be precise - & I embrace every last one of them warmly as most of them have embraced me. I come from a country with a tragic past & I'm particularly sensitive about these issues. I would not have given up my broad international experience for anything. I suspect we are not that far off agreement on the US auto makers - reading between the lines. The real problem in the US auto companies starts at the top & the assembly worker probably does not feel/ is not as empowered as those in Asia as an example. I have certainly detected an attitude from management that people are to do as they are told & not question those on high or else. This pervades corporate America to their cost. As does the ludicrous theory that the American business model (stagnant market, mature, somewhat homogenous) translates anywhere in the world. As long as they believe this & teach this they will fail. Chile, Vietnam, China & Poland to name but a few don't give a crap what Jack Welch or Sam Walton did in the US. When in Rome - you do as the Romans do.

I have worked for a large American multinational corporate all my life. I know how they behave & senior management is not held accountable but rather the rank and file take the blame for all ills. I have, however always detected a level of sloppiness in manufacturing of all types in the US & staff is expensive in a country where the cost of most articles & day to day living expenses is low. I don't see that fierce pride in a job well done that exists in SE Asia & Europe. Especially Eastern Europe. Regarding Germany, one has to be impressed with the German industrial powerhouse. They are not perfect by any means but they strive to be and do an excellent job. Working with companies like Siemens is nothing but a pleasure & the attention to detail impressive.

In global terms I believe that the American auto industry deserves to be euthanised (crappy, wrong product at the wrong time etc. etc. ad infinitum)
What stops me from wishing this on them is the huge number of ordinary people that would be negatively affected that have families to look after & mortgages to pay.

I lived in America & I like America & its people & they have been very good to me. I do not however like all things American - Many other nations have much to offer & in an automotive, corporate context manage their businesses better.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 09-26-2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Well said...I think you make several good points in your first paragraph. The sins of the American car companies over the years nigh onto generations are well known. And, the emotional state of American workers in the plants of the not-so-Big 3 over that time can be largely traced to the environment into which they were placed. I subscribe to the theory that pride in accomplishment is an inherent human quality, until its taken away in one way or another. Watch a young child the first time they whither under a parent's criticism even when they tried their best. When volume is prized over quality, over time and generations, a certain understandable detachment and "malicious obedience" can result.

But, we must be careful not to paint with too broad a brush, a quality sorely lacking in some postings on this forum. The point of this discussion, which jumped from a concurrent one on launching the C Class in Alabama, is that American workers, per se, should not be denigrated. Those working in the U.S. in Honda plants (where some historical data showed better quality vehicles than in Japan, although I am not up to speed on current data) or Toyota plants, or Subaru plants are just as American, but have been producing quite different results. Our own most recent ML from Vance, traded in at lease end for the current E, was excellently assembled. (Note: the difference between assembly quality and component quality appears to continue to elude some posters.)

I agree with you on issues of stereotype and prejudice and forgive me for quoting and repeating the earlier slur just to make the point, but I take great umbrage at "Bubba vs. Hans" comparisons, particularly when made with such a striking lack of knowledge by that poster. That was the point which started this discussion.

Last edited by Sportstick; 09-26-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

No Problem My issue is with the big three & maybe I should have stated that more clearly. The foreign OEM plants in the US tend to continue their home culture in the US and it is most certainly evident that the local worker responds well to that. US built Honda & other foreign company brands are well built generally. I discount the 1996 era ML - that was somewhat tacky. I lived in Dallas at the time & drove one for a while - had many problems. Loved the concept but the execution sucked. Today's ML is a great machine.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
It is great when we can have dialogue on this forum without name-calling, insults, etc. Thank you, Glynn, for the interesting exchange!
Old 09-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Indeed !