C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Ziebart Protection Worth It?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C350 Palladium Silver
Ziebart Protection Worth It?

Hi everyone. I just signed the papers to a 2009 C350. It's my first car purchase ever. The dealer asked me if I wanted Ziebart rust protection etc. for $850. Is this worth it?

And does anyone know how much clear bra costs and if that's worth it?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:32 PM

W204
Can't speak for the rust protection, but a clear bra is a wise investment.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by shiki
Hi everyone. I just signed the papers to a 2009 C350. It's my first car purchase ever. The dealer asked me if I wanted Ziebart rust protection etc. for $850. Is this worth it?

And does anyone know how much clear bra costs and if that's worth it?

Regarding so-called "rust protection"....
NO!

Dealer rustproofing is a pure dealer profit item and may damage your car. I used to sell it. Don't let anyone drill or de-trim your vehicle to spray this stuff. Spend the money on more frequent waxing and washing if you live where there is snow/ice, and therefore salt/sand on the roads. I did not work for Mercedes, but I am sure they are using state of the art e-coating technology for their bodies-in-white. How old was the last rusty Mercedes you saw?
Old 09-30-2009, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Originally Posted by kurosen
Can't speak for the rust protection, but a clear bra is a wise investment.
I wish I had heard of clear bra when I had purchased mine. It is a definite get on my next car.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
I noticed someone in my parking lot today with a clear bra, and it looked about 4 years old. It wasn't a full coverage, but first 20" of the hood or so, and the obvious line where it ended made me wonder if it was just a bad install that caught up with the owner, or if this is how they all age.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
I saw an install on a new IS-F and it was horrible. They said they should have used the lamin-x or the 3M version. Less than a year old and already had to be replaced.
As far as the "rust protection" it is waste. That is one of the oldest scams in the world.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will turn down the rust protection and invest in the clear bra!

Now I'm contemplating if I should buy a cheap beater for the winter, or buy winter tires for it. Anyone have an opinion on this?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
In what region do you live? Do they use salt or brine (as in Ohio) on roads?
Old 09-30-2009, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick
In what region do you live? Do they use salt or brine (as in Ohio) on roads?
I live in upstate New York. They definitely use salt on the roads here.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Get the clear bra done ASAP I wish I had done it.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I live in upstate New York. They definitely use salt on the roads here.
When I lived in Amherst (just outside Buffalo), in the late 70's, I spared my 3 series from coming out of the garage on the bad days in the winter. I had a $250 Mercury Monterey winter rat I picked up on a used car lot. Makes a S Class look small today, but with all that weight, it went everywhere in the snow, but I kept it local. That Bimmer went 13 years before I sold it for 50% of the new purchase price...so protecting it from winter may have some long term benefit...
Old 10-01-2009, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Sportstick, you're from Ohio? I use a daily car as well. As as far as clear bra goes, I have been using since 2002, and would go without it. Only get name brands like 3M or X-pel. And on this car, I highly suggest you let a pro do it.

Paint sealers and rust protection packages are a huge rip-off. I have been detailing (not as much recently) and around detailers for many years and I have only encountered one product that comes close to living up to its claims of sealing, paint pore removal and so on. It was the Ming Mirror Finish. I think you can still get it done in some areas. I had a black car that I used to show. When I purchased it (it was a year old) it had some significant swirls. I took it to Ming and it they made the paint look better than a new. All of the orange peel was gone and there was not a swirl in sight. Simple maintenance kept it that way until I sold it four years later. It is still a buffing process, but it is really nice.

My last car had a 12 year/ 100,000 mile rust perforation warranty. I haven't even checked to see it this car has something similar.

Last edited by Derspeed; 10-01-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
Thanks for all the replies guys. I will turn down the rust protection and invest in the clear bra!

Now I'm contemplating if I should buy a cheap beater for the winter, or buy winter tires for it. Anyone have an opinion on this?
I was debating the same option but I just bought winter tires as I was running out of time. I'm going to start looking for a 20+ year old mercedes euro-spec diesel convertible, any suggestions? I think what I'm looking for is an S190?
Old 10-01-2009, 03:11 PM

2008 C300 Sport 6MT X-Pipe

I live in MA. I purchased a 1994 Nissan Sentra to drive in the winter. I don't care how it looks becase it is covered in snow and salt most of the time. My C300 sits in my garage and only comes out when the roads are dry. The Sentra was much cheaper than new rims and snow tires for the MB.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Derspeed
Sportstick, you're from Ohio? I use a daily car as well. As as far as clear bra goes, I have been using since 2002, and would go without it. Only get name brands like 3M or X-pel. And on this car, I highly suggest you let a pro do it.

Paint sealers and rust protection packages are a huge rip-off. I have been detailing (not as much recently) and around detailers for many years and I have only encountered one product that comes close to living up to its claims of sealing, paint pore removal and so on. It was the Ming Mirror Finish. I think you can still get it done in some areas. I had a black car that I used to show. When I purchased it (it was a year old) it had some significant swirls. I took it to Ming and it they made the paint look better than a new. All of the orange peel was gone and there was not a swirl in sight. Simple maintenance kept it that way until I sold it four years later. It is still a buffing process, but it is really nice.

My last car had a 12 year/ 100,000 mile rust perforation warranty. I haven't even checked to see it this car has something similar.
Actually, I am in Michigan, but my son is in Ohio, so I learned about their brine spray on the roads. But, you blew me away when you mentioned MING. I had my 1977 BMW 3 series Minged, NEVER waxed it, and when I sold it 13 YEARS later, the new owner did not believe how old the car really was. No one else has ever heard of MING, it seems. That stuff was unbelievable. I recall they said it was a paint astringent, sort of like the effect of an alcohol pad wiped on your forehead, but once Minged, the paint pores did not re-open. I never would have believed it, but I watched for over a decade! It was amazing!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:55 PM

I called my local 3M certified shop and they told me I had a few options.
1. $299 for hood & fenders
2. $399 for these other parts of the car. I forgot what the guy said but it's the areas that would be most likely to get hit by rocks
3. $599 for both kits installed

It has a 5 year warranty.

Is this a good price for 3M clear bra installation?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
All dealer and aftermarket rust protections are is pure profit. Zero benefit unless it's a pre 1980s car

Modern cars do not need it because they are fully protected from factory.

Clear bras do protect the paint but look fugly after a few months. Only option though for those who are on freeways lots.