C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

What do you think of interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 e350
What do you think of interior

Hey guys. I am usually in the E class forum, but an interesting question came up in one of the threads regarding the 204. I have driven them extensively as loaners and I can't help but to think that the interior seems cheap, the car is unrefined, and, with the exception of the looks of the exterior, the car is uninspiring inside. My question is, you guys being the C class guys, am I wrong about the interior? Do you guys like it better than the w203? Does it not feel cheap to you? Keep in mind that I was given 08, 09, and 2010 c300's, mostly the 2010's with 1000's of miles of drive time. I mean no disrespect in any way, the C is a fine car in its own right, but has anyone else noticed this?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Walter,

What seems cheap to me on the loaners I've driven is they don't have any extras. My car is equipped with P2 and it just seems strange to not have it. Another point is that the aluminum trim on the C300 sport also seems to cheapen it....although it does carry the "sport" image better than wood trim. Although I've kinda have gotten use to it, I'd still rather have wood. Something about the warmth of wood.

With that said, my C300 doesn't have a single squeek in it. My previous car squeeks made it seem cheap.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
yes interior is cheaper quality, but it's on a different tier than your 211. Just like a 221 guy would probably feel yours was cheap compared to theirs. We feel it's better quality than the next class tier down 169s. See how that works?
Old 12-10-2009, 02:59 PM

C200 Kompresssor
Originally Posted by walter34payton2
Hey guys. I am usually in the E class forum, but an interesting question came up in one of the threads regarding the 204. I have driven them extensively as loaners and I can't help but to think that the interior seems cheap, the car is unrefined, and, with the exception of the looks of the exterior, the car is uninspiring inside. My question is, you guys being the C class guys, am I wrong about the interior? Do you guys like it better than the w203? Does it not feel cheap to you? Keep in mind that I was given 08, 09, and 2010 c300's, mostly the 2010's with 1000's of miles of drive time. I mean no disrespect in any way, the C is a fine car in its own right, but has anyone else noticed this?

It is of poor quality but still better than bmw 3 series and audi A3.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 G63 AMG
all i can say is i was in my friends 2009 a5 2.0 s line

and the interior was amazing

made the c-class look like a civic

335i bmws with idrive are also better quality than c class

but still, i like our interior nonetheles
Old 12-10-2009, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
First of all, congratulations on the bravery of visiting us with this question. Even for those who speak English, this thread will be ripe for getting lost in translation. For example, recently a poster insisted having more features which he personally enjoys makes a vehicle objectively "better", rather than just more pleasing to him personally. So, let's define words very specifically, if not overly self-serving!

I understand "cheap" to mean of such low cost that an item is of inferior quality. From that perspective, I do not consider the C class "cheap" as compared to the relevant competition, although the Audi A4 could make an argument for superiority. On my vehicle, fit is excellent at all locations. There are no unfinished sharp edges or gaps. Common touch points are firmly padded "soft touch" materials. The plastics which are hard are well matched with graining. For some, the absence of leather may immediately connote "cheap". Although the cabin does not smell of leather, the MB Tex is of excellent fit and has a pleasing appearance of quality with expectations of long durability. And, I have no BSRs.

However, as I look between our C and E, the interior is relatively unadorned. Not less quality in part design, material, or assembly, but less "eye candy" in overall theme. It is more functional and simple in design ethic, lacking in decoration for its own sake, which is appropriate to the segment and likely mirrored in a comparison of a 3 series and 5 series. If "refined" = "adorned", then it is unrefined. However, I understand "refined" to measure the degree of quality in details of whatever level of feature content is offered. The most basic entry level, low content car could be "refined", if attention to detail was excellent (e.g. Honda Civic and up-and-coming Hyundai). As noted above, I find the C interior to be of high quality, well composed under way (other than the side view mirror generated wind noise), and very comforting. By those terms, I find it to be refined.

However, a C class is not intended to be comparable or a substitute for a larger, more expensive vehicle, even from the same manufacturer. Being accustomed to an E, one would notice the segment-driven content differences. However, being accustomed to Mercedes-Benz, one would expect the C to be executed with the same level of quality, which I find it is. If we encounter the A or B Class in North America, we should expect to find a continuation of content reduction as segment size and prices are lower, but we will also expect to find what is present to have been done with excellence.

For cheapness and lack of refinement in the C segment, examine domestic entries of the past few years (Cobalt, Focus, Caliber), although some improvements are now occurring out of Detroit as well. Panels were of visibly low quality plastic, colors and grains not as well matched, gaps in fit, touch points are usually hard and unpleasant to the touch.

Perhaps an excessive answer to your question, but its 16 degrees F outside and the time permitted.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
solid, understated, and un-exciting

This is my first MB so I really can't compare it to other models or previous gen. MBs but as a new owner I've got mixed feelings about the interior. My last two cars were a Mazda CX-7 and the new Honda Civic Si, both of which had sportier, more exciting interiors. I really enjoyed the red lighting and the overall feeling of being in a sporty car, especially the Si which was almost video game-esque.

That being said my C350 feels "vault-like", very solid, and possibly the best built car I've ever owned. It's just not very exciting to me, the interior does not convey the sportiness of the car's personality. As far as I know the lux and sport models have virtually the same interior for C300s and 350s. I definitely think that the C350 should have received some upgrades to the interior to go along with the fact that it's supposed to be the sportier model overall (besides the C63...) Sport seats, a badge or two, special stitching in the seats and steering wheel for example would make this car so much more exciting inside. The exterior is very sporty and classy at the same time but you don't see/"feel" the exterior when you're driving. Overall the materials are OK with the exception of the cheap feeling plastic dash, which almost reminds me of a GM vehicle.

Some people will say, well you get what you pay for. Well this is not really a cheap car and it is questionable when some $20-25K new rides have a nicer interior. I test drove the new VW GTI and wow, nice interior!

I also drove a 335i and the beemer's interior was even worse looking to me, very disappointing... So I think our cars have a nice but overall boring interior. MB probably needs to update it to keep pace with the new Audi's and Infiniti's in my opinion.

Last edited by MBnewby; 12-10-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:16 PM

09 C300S 4M
The W204 interior is cheap, there's nothing else to say about it.

The entire center console is made of low grade material. If you have the COMAND interface, the motorized screen completely distracts you from the low quality console. The ride is solid and the exterior is strikingly beautiful. Every manufacturer has their weak and strong points in this class.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by BenTrovato
The W204 interior is cheap, there's nothing else to say about it.

The entire center console is made of low grade material. If you have the COMAND interface, the motorized screen completely distracts you from the low quality console. The ride is solid and the exterior is strikingly beautiful. Every manufacturer has their weak and strong points in this class.
I totally disagree. Simply because the graining looks a little bland and greyed out does not mean it is low quality. This stuff is thick and resiliant and will likely look the same in 10 maybe even 20 years.
To paraphrase Sportstick's sentiment, Asthetics are not the same as quality.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:14 PM

'08 C300 4Matic, '91 300E and '88 190E 2.3,
HAHA, When I first saw in a 212 I thought wow, this car look a lot like the C. If you think the 204 is cheap then you must be pissed if you paid more for a 212 with an interior similar to the 204.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I have a W203 and every time we have a W204 loaner I can't believe how "plasticy" the interior is. Especially the doors. It reminds me of my first car - a 1993 Saturn. It's ridiculous. But there are other things about the W204 interior that I like better than my 203 (the lighting and gauge cluster top the list). Also, I just can't get myself to like the pop-up comand screen. I prefer it built into the console the way it is on most MB vehicles like the 203.

Last edited by acr2001; 12-10-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:19 PM

2012 C63 AMG
With the Premium Package on my C350 4MATIC, I really like my interior. On the contrary, I found the BMW interior to be cheap given the design and layout of the dash and center console. Their seats are better though. As for the Audi, comparing to the A4, I think it is very good, but still a tiny step down from the C Class. Mind you this is fully loaded with all the gizmos and gadgets.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:15 AM

W204 C280
My W204 interior rattles, ticks and squeaks quite a bit. I drive mostly on rough roads since my area doesn't have decent roads and it annoys the hell out of me that my interior sounds like a rice crispy bowl with milk just poured onto it. I know it's the plastics causing the sounds and after many trips to the dealer with my replacements, the sounds still come back after a while. I've given up on my search for a quiet interior and have just learned to live with the fact that there are a couple of design flaws and poor choices in the materials with the car. But nonetheless, I still love the car. Every car has is pros and cons. I still find more pros than cons with mine so I'm still happy.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:25 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
my friend's Acura TL has better interior material. nuf said. LOL
Old 12-11-2009, 04:45 AM

\
I think everyone knows where I stand on the interior, the only improvement the E class has on the C class is the seats. Other than that, they're objectively in the same boat. Improved steering wheel and shift knob, full leather treatment to get rid of the plastic, touch up the wood accents, replace the door pins... about $10,000 later you're in decent shape.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:52 AM

S204
Well, first of all.. you dont get an idea about the real interior when you drive a loner... MBnewby said .... "Sport seats, a badge or two, special stitching in the seats and steering wheel for example would make this car so much more exciting inside". Please note that these things are already available (and I have it too). Yes, there's still place for improvement but comparing with A4 & 3 series, I actually loved the intererior of C. More easy & Functional.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:35 AM

08 MB
Originally Posted by dlb000
HAHA, When I first saw in a 212 I thought wow, this car look a lot like the C. If you think the 204 is cheap then you must be pissed if you paid more for a 212 with an interior similar to the 204.
I have the same impression as I looked at upgrading to an E. Besides a few nicer trim touches the interior was not that much greater to justify the extra cost when a nicer interior is mainly what I cared for.

I also agree with "peabody" that the C does have potential if one wants to spend the money on upgrading and I myself am in that process as well.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 4matic
I think it is a huge improvement over the W203.
While the look and design is rather simple, it is very straight forward and logical, everything is solidly constructed, the feel and texture of the materials are excellent, and there is a definite modern sporty look to it.

There are a lot of small touches that sets the W204 Sport apart from its competitors:
- Brushed metal pedals
- Black headliner (not offered on a lot of other cars, and an option on Audi's)
- Command screen and knob, even for models not equipped with Nav
- Ambient lighting
- The panoramic sunroof is well appreciated for rear seat passengers
- The LED info screen with the floating speedo needle is very cool

I was looking at a 3-series BMW and I thought the interior is very dated and boring, and the Audi A4 and A6 is well crafted and nicely finished, but the dash is not very graceful and a bit awkward.

I had a lot of complements from people who had been in my car.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:12 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by I_Love_MB
Well, first of all.. you dont get an idea about the real interior when you drive a loner... MBnewby said .... "Sport seats, a badge or two, special stitching in the seats and steering wheel for example would make this car so much more exciting inside". Please note that these things are already available (and I have it too). Yes, there's still place for improvement but comparing with A4 & 3 series, I actually loved the intererior of C. More easy & Functional.
Out of curiosity how do you have these things: sport seats, special badging, special stitching in seats/steering wheel, etc.? Are you in the U.S.? They don't sell the wagon in the U.S. so I'm guessing maybe in other countries you might get more goodies to show that you have more than the base model. I have the C350 Sport and it doesn't have anything more than a C300. The only difference really is the badge on the rear.

In it's defense though the new C looks like it will stand up to the test of time inside and out. As some people say it will look the same 30 years from now. It is plain but classic and built to last.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:20 PM

2008 Mercedes C350
I guess my main question is if the E class is so much better than the C why are you spending so much time in a loaner? I feel the interior could be better but isnt that the case with everything since There are thousands of critics out there all with different likes or dislikes. Either your not so happy with your E as you say and thats why you are taking it to the dealership so much that you can spend more time in the cockpit of the C or your having problems with it. Mine is fully loaded and that makes some what of a difference and it seems very tight and quiet after 35k on odometer. I have also owned a W202 and a W203 which i still own a w203. I loved these cars both but that being said the interior is a big step up from both. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I do not think that the C Class interior is made from cheap materials. It is just a understated style that will not date to the extent of all the polished aluminium & brightly coloured borbles will.
"The interior of a black polythene garbage bag has more interest " is how one motoring writer in Australia described it.
It was Wheels Magazine Car of the year last year & a finalist in the NRMA ( Motoring Assoc) Car of the Year this year so Australians must like the interior of garbage bags look.,
Old 12-11-2009, 03:25 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Cheapish

How many of them had black MB-Tex interiors? The service loaners I've had were all this way and looked very low end. None had P2 but one had MM which amazed me.

To quote someone, "if you can't make it cheap, at least make it look cheap."
Old 12-11-2009, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by Carsy
I do not think that the C Class interior is made from cheap materials. It is just a understated style that will not date to the extent of all the polished aluminium & brightly coloured borbles will.
I totally agree.
In the sport models it is very black (the only thing that is not black is the aluminum trim) and is all business (very German-like IMO). I am guessing that many people prefer more warmth with more variations of colors and textures.

I personally don't like the typical tan/beige interior with wood trim.

Even the last CLK model I thought was a lot like the W203 in terms of the interior and looks cheap in comparison to the W204. Even the W220 and W215 (2000-2006 S- and CL-class) I find not as appealing as the W204.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:21 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by albert101
My W204 interior rattles, ticks and squeaks quite a bit. I drive mostly on rough roads since my area doesn't have decent roads and it annoys the hell out of me that my interior sounds like a rice crispy bowl with milk just poured onto it. I know it's the plastics causing the sounds and after many trips to the dealer with my replacements, the sounds still come back after a while. I've given up on my search for a quiet interior and have just learned to live with the fact that there are a couple of design flaws and poor choices in the materials with the car. But nonetheless, I still love the car. Every car has is pros and cons. I still find more pros than cons with mine so I'm still happy.
That's quite interesting, because I find the complete opposite to be true for my car. It is completely quiet - not a rattle or squeak to be heard at all. Sorry to hear that's not the case with your car.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:55 PM

2009 C350
the materials are plasticy indeed, but i love the design. way more than any previous mercedes in fact, or the current 3 or A4. It's smooth, sporty, and not bulky like the others.

personally i really don't care what material it's made of as long as it looks good and doesn't fall apart. plus nth bad about plastic, it's light =]

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you think of interior