C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Daytime Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 180K 2008 MT
Daytime Driving Lights

I have W204 with no "Daytime Driving Lights" (DDL) mode. A friend of mine (X3) smartly disconnected the light sensor and the "A" position of the light switch acts as DDL mode. I would like to do the same and would appreciate your comments on this and on other ways (if there are ones) to trick the car and have DDL mode. Does anybody know where the light sensor is and how it can be disconnected (my friend has done this removing one of the wires located in the plastic box located in front /behind (depending on the view point) the centre rear-view mirror.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
For the US model, there's an option in the menus that allows us to turn on the DDL. I did that last summer when I drove up to Canada, and left it in place after.

Doing what you're thinking also turns on the tail lights. Why bother? You can just turn the switch further over and get those lights anyway.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:46 PM

W204 C180K, BMW Z8
Euro versions have the same option in the menus. Also I did not know that the tail lights were off when the DRL was on. In this case I have to leave the headlight switch at automatic so that at night time the taillights would turn on. Leaving the switch at off mode should leave the taillights off all the time then.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:13 PM

W204 180K 2008 MT
Originally Posted by jstaneff
For the US model, there's an option in the menus that allows us to turn on the DDL. I did that last summer when I drove up to Canada, and left it in place after.

Doing what you're thinking also turns on the tail lights. Why bother? You can just turn the switch further over and get those lights anyway.
Thks guys for your comments. The problem with my car is that it does not have "Luxury multi-function steering wheel " that allows the DDL to be activated. Thus, my option is currently only one – during the day (as during the night) to switch to position 6 "Dipped-beam headlights / main beam headlights" and manually to turn down the lights after engine has stopped. To avoid doing this manually twice - every time when I start and stop the engine, I would like to have the modified "A" option. Obviously this will switch on the tail lights as well, but the same happens in my current situation, right? So, the queries in my first post are still valid.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:28 PM

1999 210 4matic / 2011 W204 C300 sport
pm me
Old 12-13-2009, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by maninblack
pm me
You know the solution but don't want to share it?

Shouldn't it be possible to code the car differently with Star, or is it SCN controlled?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:30 AM

2009 C350
your main headlights don't automatically turn off after you shut the engine?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 GLC300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by qwqwerertyty
your main headlights don't automatically turn off after you shut the engine?
Funny you mention this -- I noticed this behavior on a loaner vehicle once and thought I was imagining things. If I physically turned the headlights on (not auto), and turned the car off, they would go off, even with the switch in the on position. On my car, the lights stay on and the car "bings" at me telling me that I'm a moron and to shut the headlights off... Is this a new feature of the 09's?

- Eric
Old 12-13-2009, 05:49 PM

W204 180K 2008 MT
Originally Posted by dalazernet
Funny you mention this -- I noticed this behavior on a loaner vehicle once and thought I was imagining things. If I physically turned the headlights on (not auto), and turned the car off, they would go off, even with the switch in the on position. On my car, the lights stay on and the car "bings" at me telling me that I'm a moron and to shut the headlights off... Is this a new feature of the 09's?

- Eric
Same situation (as Eric is depicting it) is with my car– the lights do not turn automatically off. Exactly because of this I would like to put the light switch in position "A" and to have lights on not only when it is dark, but all the time. In position "A" lights go on and off automatically – that's the advantage in comparison with the position 6 "Dipped-beam headlights / main beam headlights".

Guys, again, I would like kindly to ask you for your advices on "… where the light sensor is and how it can be disconnected (in the best way)…" In case it is in the plastic box next to the central rear-view mirror and disconnection shall be done there, please suggest how to open / dismantle this box.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C350, '05 Mazda 3 HB, '07 330i
Modern C Class are all set up in the engineering menu... anything missing makes the computer go haywire... (my experience)

vic viper is the man to help you!
Old 12-14-2009, 09:11 AM

W204 180K 2008 MT
Daytime Driving Lights

Originally Posted by bulletspec
Modern C Class are all set up in the engineering menu... anything missing makes the computer go haywire... (my experience)

vic viper is the man to help you!
Thanks for your comment. Good point on the computer, but that can be easily checked – if after disconnecting the light sensor nothing happens, the comp has not gone haywire, right? Your post made me think about the following: cars with 12-button luxury multi-function steering wheel have the option to switch on/off DDL through "Setting menu > Change lights settings > etc." Unfortunately, I have 4-button multi-function steering wheel and cannot do this. I wonder whether this setting is possible through the engineering menu (if the comps are the same or similar, why not?). What my concern is that many people posted that when thy had "played" with this menu, they had stuck within and without having appropriate CD they had not been able to continue / exit the menu. Any suggestions on the afore said, viz 1) can the engineering menu help in this case and 2)how to do it safely. Thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
komart, have you tried asking your dealership if they could just enable it for you? Many countries in Europe have mandatory DDLs, so I'm sure they have an easy solution that doesn't involve tearing your car apart to disable sensors. Also, Bulgaria is a crazy place to drive.. I've been to about a dozen cities there!