C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 driving in snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 C300 Sport 4MATIC, Rover
Originally Posted by ronmeister
Don't go too far now
Are you aware that the "famed" AWD in Subarus is dramatically different between the automatic and manual transmission? I think that you will find that the current generation 4Matic is more complex and superior.

P.S. I used to own a Subaru and I know what I'm talking about.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:36 AM

C300 Sport
I live in CT and my car drives great in anything under 6". I ahve a 4x4 truck and i only use it if its really bad out. otherwise I like drive the c300 in the snow. MY traction control light goes on often as I try to get the car sideways and see what it can handle. Definitely have the dealership check it out. My wife has a 2006 A4, and it drives like a truck in the snow.. So it is a bit better than the C. Overall, the C is great in the snow for me though
Old 02-09-2010, 01:28 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
It's just your driving.

I don't understand how people can't drive in the snow with an AWD car. I could see if you get FEET of snow that's just too high for the bottom of the car to clear...but besides that I don't get it. I had a Supercharged Mustang GT with 18" rims and low profile performance tires for 10yrs and never had a problem in the snow...so people that complain about driving in the snow with an AWD car w/ all-season tires just crack me up.

Haven't had a problem yet with my C300
Old 02-09-2010, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
The problem is that some folks think any four wheel drive system is the "magic bullet" and forget about the part which actually touches the snow... good winter tires!! Anyone remember Bambi? She had four "foot" drive, but hard hooves on ice just made for a nice spin and split!
Old 02-09-2010, 02:58 PM

2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 Cab
Many people believe that if they have AWD, the car will magically stick to snow.
This is definitely a common misconception. A RWD car will perform fine as well, as long as snow tires are mounted. From my experience, snow tires, even on a RWD car, will add a ton of grip and will allow for freer driving.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
After reading all of the reviews, I put General Altimax Arctics on my rwd, 6mt. They are amazing in the snow. I have never owned snow tires before, and I am astonished at how well they perform. They have a softer sidewall, but with 17" wheels they are still low profile. And, because the rubber compound is so soft, they grip the dry pavement really well. I took a front wheel drive work car out today. It has all season tires, and I had no confidence in it. The low traction light came on constantly.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:05 PM

c300 4matic
I am in PA and we just got dumped on over the weekend (26 inches with another 10 falling today). I have the stock Conti's on and they have held up very well in the weather. I would actually say that they have been better in the snow that in rain. Ground clearance has been my only issue. I will say however that my wife's A4 feels much more planted and is more comfortable to drive in adverse conditions.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Originally Posted by mirage15
I am in PA and we just got dumped on over the weekend (26 inches with another 10 falling today). I have the stock Conti's on and they have held up very well in the weather. I would actually say that they have been better in the snow that in rain. Ground clearance has been my only issue. I will say however that my wife's A4 feels much more planted and is more comfortable to drive in adverse conditions.
I suspect that you were lucky in the sense that snow is deep and still falling, so it's still cold. When ice develops on the roadway, the control that the Conti's seem to have may well evaporate.

I reported earlier on my 60 mile trek across the mountains in my RWD C300. It made it, and drove very well on fresh snow, or surfaces that were only snow. On ice it wanted to slide, especially when gravity helped.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
The weather and roads were very bad here last evening. The roads has snow, crunchy snow, and shallow slush covering them. It was pretty slippery. I drove home with no issues. I was passing front wheel drive cars the whole way. It was me and a 4x4 Silverado easily cruising along. And, there was a C300 4matic in my rearview mirror for a while too (I saw the 4matic badge when the car exited to a highway). From now on, my cars will always have snow tires on them in the winter.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Exclamation

Though I am a big defender of progress I also firmly believe in the basic principles of Physics. I met with snow for the first time in the 60's and found that it was unanimous, like a religion, to change to Winter tires in the Fall for driving through ice and snow. I have since done that with RWD and FWD cars without any anecdotal problems to report in Interstate, neighborhood , or secondary road driving. And I am speaking about the Northeast and Central Atlantic states.

Now, with a AWD I read a complaint and agree whole handsomely that the tires are the culprit.

As for the Audi alpha series, well yes, and so there are other cars of different niches, but I prefer Mercedes to VW. I don't even know yet how I will feel about Porsches in the future, my other joy.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 PM

Black 2008 C300 Sport Loaded + Silver 2005 WRX STi Cobb Stage 4
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian
Are you aware that the "famed" AWD in Subarus is dramatically different between the automatic and manual transmission? I think that you will find that the current generation 4Matic is more complex and superior.

P.S. I used to own a Subaru and I know what I'm talking about.
Uh, duh.
I know the difference between the systems. I've owned 3 Subarus. Also, been working in a Subaru/Mitsubishi performance shop for 3 years, and continue to do so in the Summers when home from school. I know Subarus INSIDE and OUT. I am a Subaru fanatic!

I know how to drive in deep snow and icey conditions, and would take my Scoob WAY over my 4-Matic C300. You want to talk about a solid sedan made for such conditions..

More complex system, yes, superior? No. They are made for different applications... Eye's of the beholder I suppose.
If you know how to utilize the drivetrain in a Scoob you will indeed outperform a 4-Matic.
The 4-Matic system especially coupled with ESP is astonishing for most people, hell I was impressed with how well it kept the car under control when purposefully attempting to lose control.
The system I feel, is geared to help people who don't know how to drive in nasty conditions to save their asses... IMO

Ron
Old 02-11-2010, 09:07 PM

'10 C300 Sport 4MATIC, Rover
Uh, duh.
I know the difference between the systems. I've owned 3 Subarus. Also, been working in a Subaru/Mitsubishi performance shop for 3 years, and continue to do so in the Summers when home from school. I know Subarus INSIDE and OUT. I am a Subaru fanatic!

I know how to drive in deep snow and icey conditions, and would take my Scoob WAY over my 4-Matic C300. You want to talk about a solid sedan made for such conditions..

More complex system, yes, superior? No. They are made for different applications... Eye's of the beholder I suppose.
If you know how to utilize the drivetrain in a Scoob you will indeed outperform a 4-Matic.
The 4-Matic system especially coupled with ESP is astonishing for most people, hell I was impressed with how well it kept the car under control when purposefully attempting to lose control.
The system I feel, is geared to help people who don't know how to drive in nasty conditions to save their asses... IMO

Ron
Subaru auto AWD is essentially FWD, where the Benz is rear wheel biased under normal conditions. I grew up with that, and prefer RWD to FWD, that's just me.
I'm not sure why you suggest that they are built for different applications, they are both AWD systems designed to transfer power between the front and rear wheels.
I think we can all agree that the most important thing is probably the tires, especially in snow.
I wish Subaru would invest in a luxury model, it would probably sell well in the US.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
Subaru autos are a superior daily and spirited drive over manuals due to dynamic torque distribution to wheels via smart viscous trans. Especially in wet and snow.

Manuals (excl STI) are static 50/50 split - really need slow in fast out style in corners under slippery / snowy or ice conditions - other wise they have severe understeer, even at 10 mph speeds. A real dog in slippery corners if don't go in slower than normally would in any car.

STIs are variable static split- can adjust manually on the fly but no viscous transmission. Great for all out driving and more fun!

Three choices - a flavor for all tastes. I'm pretty sure it's the same for all models.

Snow tires are critical - delivering superior traction even on cold dry pavement - cold wet and snow, ice etc there is no comparison. Narrower the better for severe conditions but for 90% of real world city conditions 17s and 18s are fine.

4matic is probably one of the smartest awd systems on the planet but I believe they licensed the core tech from 3rd party.

Last edited by whiteongrey; 02-11-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
To the guy who started the thread:

There is something wrong either your car or with your driving. The traction control light should be flashing. I was having a wonderful time driving in 17" of snow yesterday in my W203 with all seasons (not the conti garbage though - they really are trash). Best thing to do if 4matic and ESP are new to you is to find a big open lot next time it snows and gun it a few times. You'll gain a much better understanding of how the system works.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian
Subaru auto AWD is essentially FWD....
That's now only true for the 4 speed, which just has a center clutch. The 5 speed Suby atx has center diff with viscous lock-up.

Suby AWD's ... see bottom 1/4 of page, and ingore all the symmetric garbage. whiteongrey had it mostly right.

All Suby's have the ability to lock-up the center diff/clutch in say aggressive snow play. The 4MATIC has a center diff with a fixed preload clutch, afaik, and no lock-up capability. In this aspect, I think Suby has the advantage.

To OP, we went from 98 audi A4 with torsen locking center diff and narrow 205 tires, to the 4MATIC with 225 michelins, and have not been dissappointed with normal winter driving.

Last edited by kevink2; 02-14-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 C300, 2015 GLK350
I had the same problem on the Interstate the other day. It was starting to snow, just a tiny layer on the pavement andthe plows hadn't gone through yet. I saw a Subaru Outback had already spun onto the median. I was going about 65 and my 2010 C300 4matic started to slide sideways. My reaction was to let off the gas, but, after reading the posts here, maybe I shouldn't do that? I felt unsafe and started going slow. Other cars seemed to be doing just fine... perhaps I should also change tires?

Originally Posted by deznic
We had our 1st snow storm in NY on Saturday. I am so disappointed with how my 2009 C300 S 4matic handled I wish I could just give it back. At a point the car started to slide sideways as I had absolutely no control. The A4 ahead of me seemed to be doing just fine though...I have read stories of how the traction kicks in and stabilizes the car....my traction did not turn on once! I have scheduled to have the car looked at. My problem is that, if there is nothing wrong with the car and this is how it drives - then I have a serious issue with this vehicle. Can anyone share any similar experiences?