C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

First Oil Change...Help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
As far as air filters go, if you have one in there you're good. A K&N will not void the warranty, the oil does cause problems sometimes with MAFs and dirties up the throttle body, but if won't void you're warranty. Now that reusable oil filter will definately void the warranty, who thinks of crap like that.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by Moto_Guzzi
I am still confused as to if I can change my W204 2008 oil myself with suction. I phoned two dealers workshop foremans and both told me the same story=You cannot do it on a W204. The service indicator will reset by itself, depriving you from other service jods, which make sence if it is true. The engine has a sensor detecting new oil. ??
Is this true:If I suck out the oil and replace with correct oil, will they know , and reject motorplan 120000+?

As it stands I would like to replace the oil every 6 months rather than every year, but workshops refuse to do it[I pay]!
Moto - I will try & check this out for you. The M272 has an oil level sensor so the vehicle will record a low oil level. i.e. it would know if the oil had been drained. I thought this would only record if the ignition was turned on but maybe I've missed something. There is really no reason to shorten drains on these cars with modern motor oils but I can't see why Benz should object to you changing oil early if you use the correct oil & don't expect them to pay for it under the motorplan. It can do no harm. Let me do some scratching.

ps. I have always assumed that SA cars were the same as ROW & that the dealer had to reset the service indicator via this method. If there is something peculiar about SA cars I will find out.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Reset service indicator.pdf (341.3 KB, 148 views)

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-05-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:35 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
More of the same

I am still confused as to if I can change my W204 2008 oil myself with suction. I phoned two dealers workshop foremans and both told me the same story=You cannot do it on a W204. The service indicator will reset by itself, depriving you from other service jods, which make sence if it is true. The engine has a sensor detecting new oil. ??
Is this true:If I suck out the oil and replace with correct oil, will they know , and reject motorplan 120000+?

As it stands I would like to replace the oil every 6 months rather than every year, but workshops refuse to do it[I pay]!
What a load of crap. So much for "expert" advice. You certainly can suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. It is standard practice in US dealers and I've been doing it myself for two years in the C300 and for quite a bit longer in the previous car. There have been some posts indicating problems getting to the bottom of the tube on 4-matics but no technical proof has been offered.

The engine does not have any sort of oil sensor other than oil level. You can change it weekly and it will not effect the service countdown because it's on a time or mileage basis and it certainly does not reset itself. And when you have drained the oil, of course the key is off.

What the car needs is an oil pressure gauge or at least a low pressure idiot light because the level sensors are not 100% accurate. I don't know how many times I've been motoring blissfully along when sudden the panel lights up panic red telling me the crankcase is suddenly too full and to report immediately to my closest MB workshop. My old W203 loved to do this and I've seen it in the W204.

So, change your oil early if you like, keeping a written record and rest easy.

Last edited by RLE; 01-05-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

All SA dealers evacuate oil through the dipstick tube. The question is this auto service indicator reset. I don't believe it & I've never checked our 204 because it's under the free maintenance plan.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:52 AM

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
2008 C350-Sport-AMG-Active Agility Pack + B170 2008+Mitsibishi+Mazda
Glyn, phone Somerset West/Strand, Worcester and Century City workshop foremans with the following request:
I want to bring my W204 in for you to change the oil on my request and will pay,can this be done between services ?

See what you get:Mercedes technical in Pretoria initially told me I could, but dealers refused and said they were informed otherwise.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

I know the SM at Culemborg well. I'll give him a call.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 C300
Finally got to my oil change ...my first for my benz : )...I just simply jacked up the car from the side of the car....unbolted like 10 screws from the bottom panel and then drained the oil, removed the old oil filter, replaced with new filter and 3 orings, replaced the old copper ring from the oil plug, added 8 qts of 0w40 oil, from the oil pan refilled 8 empty bottles back with the old oil, then reset the Service A....

Since the car is new is it necessary to have all the other Service A stuff checked? (service A include a long check list)

Am I missing anything?

Thanks all for the advice and opinions...
Old 01-06-2010, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache

The service indicator does not reset itself. It is a time and distance counter only.
I am not sure why the shops are refusing to change the oil but they should change it any time you are willing to pay for it. Just be sure to keep track of when the additional services are due.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by RLE
What a load of crap. So much for "expert" advice. You certainly can suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. It is standard practice in US dealers and I've been doing it myself for two years in the C300 and for quite a bit longer in the previous car. There have been some posts indicating problems getting to the bottom of the tube on 4-matics but no technical proof has been offered.....
Those are likely two different its. Both involve sucking out the oil. But, the dealer uses a fitting that attaches to the enlarged top of the diptube, while most owners insert a plastic tube all the way down the diptube.

I used the latter method with no problem on an A4 and a Mazda6, but it left about 2 Q's in our 4matic. By comparing how far down the plastic tube would go, vs a flex cable (like the dipstick), I found the inserted tube stopped about 1" before the bottom. This was sufficient tecnical proof for me.

https://mbworld.org/forums/3652879-post32.html

Last edited by kevink2; 01-06-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When I use a thinner tube (thinner then the standard one that comes with my pump), I can scavenge more out. I wonder if I should try the thinnest possible tube I can get, similar diameter to your flex cable, to try and snake it to the bottom on the 4MATIC. I'll be ready with that next time.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RLE
What a load of crap. So much for "expert" advice. You certainly can suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. It is standard practice in US dealers and I've been doing it myself for two years in the C300 and for quite a bit longer in the previous car. There have been some posts indicating problems getting to the bottom of the tube on 4-matics but no technical proof has been offered.
I posted on the DIY oil change thread - I did a very careful 3rd oil change on my C300 4M - a failed attempt to suck with an over the diptube method (not enough suction), then a carefully measured "standard" in the diptube change with two different diameter tubes - the smaller of the two tubes definitely scavenged more oil - but still, counting what I took out with the filter - I got 7.5Q out of it at most. There is something different about the 4MATIC.

I'll try kevin's "plug into the diptube top" idea next time, but I still think I would need a more powerful pump to suction via that method.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MB09C300
Finally got to my oil change ...my first for my benz : )...I just simply jacked up the car from the side of the car....unbolted like 10 screws from the bottom panel and then drained the oil, removed the old oil filter, replaced with new filter and 3 orings, replaced the old copper ring from the oil plug, added 8 qts of 0w40 oil, from the oil pan refilled 8 empty bottles back with the old oil, then reset the Service A....

Since the car is new is it necessary to have all the other Service A stuff checked? (service A include a long check list)

Am I missing anything?

Thanks all for the advice and opinions...
Just a little tip. Benz drain plugs are microencapsulated & designed to be used once & tossed. This is also not necessary. If you find you suffer a slight weep from the plug even with your new copper washer just apply a little thread sealant at your next oil change. NOT silicone based.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c350
Smile MB

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
This too is nonsense - I do not give a rat's @$$ what ill informed publications print & this is typical of that rubbish. I've been in the oil industry with a super major for 39 years - I think I know what I'm talking about.

PCMO's are formulated to handle a different set of criteria than HDMO's . A simple example is PCMO's have to contend with low temperature sludge whereas HDMO's have to deal with high temperature sludge. In the case of 229.5 Benz approved oils the PCMO has a higher additive treat than 229.51 HDMO which is for Benz passenger car diesel with Cat & particulate filters.

The only minor credence I will give this rotten article is that of VI improver in large quantities in some multigrade oils can be detrimental in some applications - e.g. turbo bearings where it can cake on due to extremely high temperature & limited oil flow at shut down. This most often applies to diesels.

However - there is more than one way to formulate a multigrade oil. Use high VI base stocks - usually synthetic & very little VI improver or the converse.

In the case of Benz approved 229.5 PCMO's they use very high VI synthetic base stocks & very little but highly stable VI improver. VI improvers are polymers but are not all equal.

VI by definition is "the rate of change in viscosity for a given change in temperature"

229.5 approved gasoline engine oils = ash level > 0.8 to 1.6% (a rough indication of additive content)

229.51 approved PC diesel engine oils = ash level < 0.8%

Benz have decreed that no one product may claim to be suitable for both applications.

I stand by my comments on TBN

There are many ashless additive components today so this is a rough guide.

Mann blown polyester "fleece" filters do not "wick" or filter out additive components.

To jclassboat - suggest you read the STLE (The Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers) magazine instead of the rubbish you do.

To Benz owners - please do not be influenced by the nonsense you read in some cheap magazines. Listen to Benz & the requirements specified in their manuals for long service life of your vehicle.
MB is a car company and like any other they are motivated partly, at least, by $ and their requirements are influenced by suppliers including oil and filter companies. They are no different than Big Pharma. If I can find it I will read STLE.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

The Benz testing & approvals program costs them & the oil industry a hell of a lot of money every year in the interests of seeing that their vehicles see the correct fluids for durability. Benz instituted the "fleece" test/development program with Mann + Hummel - not the other way round.

Is Benz a little paranoid in this regard - sometimes they probably are but then I come from an industry that incurs a lot of expense to satisfy them & the playing field is level for all potential suppliers. The winners at the end of the day are owners of Benz products. Benz, of course, also win in reduced warranty claims - especially in the truck division where they have to carry long fleet warranties.

You can subscibe to STLE magazine online.