C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Sprint Booster installation - C350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 W204
Sprint Booster installation - C350

This is an easy, relatively inexpensive way ($350 +/-) to get better accelerator response. It's a simple install of device between pedal and DBW cable yielding more a responsive throttle with the added advantage of a 3 position switch (off (regular), medium, maximum). Basically, it acts as a gain amplifier and speeds up (about 30%) the signal from the pedal to the ECU. Don't think your ride is actually faster, but the "feel" in accelerator pedal certainly makes a big difference! Not dissimilar to the 'Sport' mode switch in an E46 M3.

Believe it works for all W204 incl. C63. Automatic PN: SBME0012S; manual PN SBME0011S. Website: http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/

Enjoy!
Old 02-09-2010, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
$350 for it to "feel" in the accellerator pedal.

No, don't think so.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
That's funny $350 is inexpensive?
Old 02-11-2010, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by bf109
This is an easy, relatively inexpensive way ($350 +/-) to get better accelerator response. It's a simple install of device between pedal and DBW cable yielding more a responsive throttle with the added advantage of a 3 position switch (off (regular), medium, maximum). Basically, it acts as a gain amplifier and speeds up (about 30%) the signal from the pedal to the ECU. Don't think your ride is actually faster, but the "feel" in accelerator pedal certainly makes a big difference! ......
The unit in the "white paper" on another MB application just had the 1.3X gain over nominal pedal position. The oem gain was mostly fractional, ie 1/2 pedal position gets you 1/4 throttle opening.

What is the medium position, 1:1 response? Any links to more info on the 3 position switch?

As far as value, that rests in the buyers head. Some are interested in buying 30+ lb 20" rims that degrade handling performance, but look better to them ... they have value for them.

I'd pass on both mods.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
The sprint booster is a piece of junk that simply fools those who don't have a good understanding of how it works. It makes the last 1/4 of your pedal travel do nothing, that way the first 3/4 feels like your car is accelerating faster and has more power. It does *not* improve actual throttle response time in any way as proven and even admitted to by the makers of the sprint booster. Glad people are finally realizing this and reading the white paper.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by acr2001
... It makes the last 1/4 of your pedal travel do nothing, that way the first 3/4 feels like your car is accelerating faster and has more power.
True. This is because the SB improves the throttle body's response to motion at the pedal, up to about 3/4 pedal travel.

It does *not* improve actual throttle response time in any way as proven and even admitted to by the makers of the sprint booster. Glad people are finally realizing this and reading the white paper.
It improves TB response, as I described, as advertised, and as shown clearly in the white paper data (but unfortunately not in some of his conclusions).

It will not make the car faster at 0-60 or 1/4 mile, which was the point of the white paper, and admitted to by SB's add. I think, again, you confuse max speed capability with throttle response.

Last edited by kevink2; 02-12-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by kevink2
True. This is because the SB improves the throttle body's response to motion at the pedal, up to about 3/4 pedal travel.

It improves TB response, as I described, as advertised, and as shown clearly in the white paper data (but unfortunately not in some of his conclusions).

It will not make the car faster at 0-60 or 1/4 mile, which was the point of the white paper, and admitted to by SB's add. I think, again, you confuse max speed capability with throttle response.
Say what you will but you are incorrect. It does not improve throttle response TIME (as I said) meaning that it will not reduce "throttle lag". You are correct that it improves throttle response if you mean that your actual throttle plate will open further with less pedal travel. This is the one and only thing that the SB does.

I'm out of this thread before it gets ugly as usual.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by acr2001
Say what you will but you are incorrect..
About what specifically?

I said "the SB improves the throttle body's response to motion at the pedal, up to about 3/4 pedal travel" which you properly interpreted in your reply.

The SB does not reduce the time for the TB to react to initial pedal motion, which I think was your point.

Bottom line, I think we agree on what it does.

Last edited by kevink2; 02-13-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by kevink2
About what specifically?

I said "the SB improves the throttle body's response to motion at the pedal, up to about 3/4 pedal travel" which you properly interpreted in your reply.

The SB does not reduce the time for the TB to react to initial pedal motion, which I think was your point.

Bottom line, I think we agree on what it does.
In that case we do agree. I thought you meant that it improved the lag time when you said it improves response.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:37 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by JimPap
$350 for it to "feel" in the accellerator pedal.

No, don't think so.
Weren't these things cheaper when they hit the market? The profit margin must be wonderful.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:49 PM

09' C300 4matic
if the car feels faster and it dosent take away from your top speed why wouldnt anyone want it?
Old 02-14-2010, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by scoonie089
if the car feels faster and it dosent take away from your top speed why wouldnt anyone want it?
It makes the last 1/4 of your accelerator pedal travel useless. It's just compressing the distance that the accelerator pedal moves. Another words, you do not have to push the pedal down all of the way in order to get to full throttle. This means that if you do not know any better, the car feels faster. It also means that the car is harder to control because there is less pedal travel. Why would anyone pay for that? If my car were behaving that way I would be at the dealer asking for a new accelerator pedal (sensor is built into it) under warranty.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by RLE
Weren't these things cheaper when they hit the market? The profit margin must be wonderful.
They contain about $20-$30 worth of parts MAX. Someone with electrical engineering skills and a few somewhat common tools could easily create one by taking a trip to radio shack.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by scoonie089

My car "feels" faster after a $7 wash at Hurricane Bay here in my town. And make no mistake, I'll gain as much performance from a car wash as you will from your Sprintbooster. Nonetheless, let's do some math..

$350/$7 = 50 washes

That's one per week for nearly a year! And I get to drive a clean car 100% of the time, and I'm actually doing something good for my car. Unlike buying a stupid signal amplifier for $350 when I can create the same result from simply pressing the pedal harder... FOR FREE!

Sprintbooster is rubbish, end of story.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:59 PM

2008 C350
I've had one for a year that I bought from Ebay for much cheaper. I like it. Before I used to have to wait for a full second before the car would downshift to the lowest gear at WOT. Now it does it almost instantly. Before the SB waiting for the transmission to downshift was painfully slow. Very important when you are trying to pass someone. I've heard a lot of cars with electronic throttle control have a built in lag. I drove my friends Lexus IS250 AWD, and it didn't not have this lag problem. Mercedes needs to address this lag of downshifting problem and SB kind of fixes it. If I got another Mercedes I'd invest in another one right away. So out of all who poopoo's it, here's a SB user who swears by it. I bet if two C350's were to race on highway the one with the SB would win because the downshift would happen quicker. From a standstill it would make no difference. Although if you had the newer model and had the shift paddles on the steering column the SB would be unnecessary.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Murray Woo
I've had one for a year that I bought from Ebay for much cheaper. I like it. Before I used to have to wait for a full second before the car would downshift to the lowest gear at WOT. Now it does it almost instantly. Before the SB waiting for the transmission to downshift was painfully slow. Very important when you are trying to pass someone. I've heard a lot of cars with electronic throttle control have a built in lag. I drove my friends Lexus IS250 AWD, and it didn't not have this lag problem. Mercedes needs to address this lag of downshifting problem and SB kind of fixes it. If I got another Mercedes I'd invest in another one right away. So out of all who poopoo's it, here's a SB user who swears by it. I bet if two C350's were to race on highway the one with the SB would win because the downshift would happen quicker. From a standstill it would make no difference. Although if you had the newer model and had the shift paddles on the steering column the SB would be unnecessary.
The one with the SB would win?!?! Do you know someone else in the city who has a 2008 C350? I would love to put this to the test and finally prove my point. You have read the white paper, yes?

Sorry but you are being fooled by this product. Your car is not downshifting any faster because of the sprint booster nor is the lag being reduced because of it. If you were to remove it and just press the pedal down further to compensate, your car would behaving exactly the same as with the SB. It is impossible for the SB to reduce lag or change shift points based on how it works.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:41 PM

2008 C350
Well, we can all agree to disagree. The only way to test it would be to measure time with the SAME car, say accelerating from 40 mph to 70 mph, because each car is different. 0-60 mph there would be no difference. All I know is my car with and without the SB there is a huge difference in throttle reaction. And it even at full throttle witout the SB my car used to slow to react, not anymore. By the way, if you've not had a SB before, how could you make a judgement? We all vote with our wallet instead of our mouths and obviously I've voted already and stick by my decision. And I agree that it's one cheap looking piece of equipment, I'd think it costs about $10 to make really. But considerig how much it improved my driving experience with my car I think it was worth what I paid for. MB should really do something about the throttle lag. I shouldn't even have to buy a SB!
Old 02-15-2010, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by Murray Woo
Well, we can all agree to disagree.
It's more like you can choose to ignore fact rather than a "disagreement".

The only way to test it would be to measure time with the SAME car, say accelerating from 40 mph to 70 mph, because each car is different. 0-60 mph there would be no difference. All I know is my car with and without the SB there is a huge difference in throttle reaction.
It amplifies the throttle signal. It makes it more sensitive. A C350 owner who simply pushes down on the throttle harder gets the same result.

And it even at full throttle witout the SB my car used to slow to react, not anymore.
Full throttle for you now is about 3/4 the way down. Putting the pedal to the carpet no longer does anything.

By the way, if you've not had a SB before, how could you make a judgement?
I've never had an STD before but I know I don't want one.

We all vote with our wallet instead of our mouths and obviously I've voted already and stick by my decision. And I agree that it's one cheap looking piece of equipment, I'd think it costs about $10 to make really. But considerig how much it improved my driving experience with my car I think it was worth what I paid for.
You bought into hype and you have a massive case of placebo effect. No matter, as long as you're happy with it.

MB should really do something about the throttle lag. I shouldn't even have to buy a SB!
Mercedes did something. They programmed that throttle lag in. It's not some defect.. it was entirely intentional.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230

My car "feels" faster after a $7 wash at Hurricane Bay here in my town. And make no mistake, I'll gain as much performance from a car wash as you will from your Sprintbooster. Nonetheless, let's do some math..

$350/$7 = 50 washes

That's one per week for nearly a year! And I get to drive a clean car 100% of the time, and I'm actually doing something good for my car. Unlike buying a stupid signal amplifier for $350 when I can create the same result from simply pressing the pedal harder... FOR FREE!

Sprintbooster is rubbish, end of story.
It's so true...my car always feels faster and rides better everytime I get it sparkling clean inside and out...especially with a full tank of gas!!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:18 PM

09' C300 4matic
hahah i think the carwash thing is funny ....once you get a fresh wash in the benz you just feel great ......i think i wanna try this sb though i mean basically whether it does something or not everyone who has one loves it so thats enough of a reason!!!!