C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New C300 Owner in Toronto, CANADA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
New C300 Owner in Toronto, CANADA

Hey guys,

I am picking up my white C300 6MT sport this upcoming weekend and just had a few questions. Not too familar with this car as I am coming from a BMW E36 M52.

1) Did any of you get the paint protection package? Is it worth it?

2) Did any of you rust-proof your car? (rust is a huge issue here given that we usually receive quite a bit of snow and there is a lot of salt on the roads during winters)

3) Any issues with warranty on car modifications? I was thinking of installing coilovers but at the same time, I do not want to void the warranty on my car. (Car is financed)

4) Or should I hold off on the mods until I 'break' into my car? How long is the 'break-in' period? i.e., go easy on the acceleration, braking ...etc...

Thanks guys, look forward to hearing your responses.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by RKMA86
Hey guys,

I am picking up my white C300 6MT sport this upcoming weekend and just had a few questions. Not too familar with this car as I am coming from a BMW E36 M52.

1) Did any of you get the paint protection package? Is it worth it?
ABSOLUTELY NOT - DEALER PROFIT IS MAIN BENEFIT...TRY EAGLE NANOWAX AT HOME

2) Did any of you rust-proof your car? (rust is a huge issue here given that we usually receive quite a bit of snow and there is a lot of salt on the roads during winters) DOUBLE ABSOLUTELY NOT FOR SAME REASON, PLUS RISK OF HARM TO CAR FROM PROCESS/MATERIALS. CHECK MB CORROSION WARRANTY. WASH IT MORE OFTEN IN WINTER.

3) Any issues with warranty on car modifications? I was thinking of installing coilovers but at the same time, I do not want to void the warranty on my car. (Car is financed) SOME MODS MAY AFFECT THE PARTS OF THE CAR YOU INVOLVE...I DON'T HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH COILOVERS. BUT, YOU WILL LIKELY WANT TO GET INTO BETTER TIRES PRETTY QUICKLY...FOR 3 SEASONS AND FOR WINTER, AS SEPARATE SETS.

4) Or should I hold off on the mods until I 'break' into my car? How long is the 'break-in' period? i.e., go easy on the acceleration, braking ...etc...FOLLOW OWNER'S MANUAL...SOME MODS HAVE NO RELATIONSHIP TO AGE OF CAR...PLEASE PROVIDE EXAMPLES.

Thanks guys, look forward to hearing your responses.
WELCOME TO ANOTHER MANUAL TRANS OWNER!!

Last edited by Sportstick; 03-07-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:59 PM

C300 Sport 6-spd
1) The paint is of a very high-quality, and my car still looks new after 2 years. A regular wash and occasional polish is all the car needs to maintain its showroom shine.

2) I think rust-proofing is a waste of money. I keep my vehicles for about 7 years and I have never had any rust problems. (I also live in Toronto).

3) & 4) I didn't make any modifications to my car, other than buying a set of winter tires and rims.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

BBS LM's 18's + Kics
congrats and welcome
Old 03-10-2010, 01:40 PM

2010 C350 4Matic
congrats!
Is that ture that C300 only come with 6MT and C300 4M only come with 7G-tronic?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:46 PM

BMW X5
Originally Posted by Sportstick
WASH IT MORE OFTEN IN WINTER.
I agree with everything you stated except for this part. Dry salt does not cause rust; it's salt mixed water that accelerates corrosion. Those salt deposits you get on your car are not causing any harm. Regardless of what car wash owners may want you to believe, washing your car frequently during winter will not do it any good (in fact, it may do the opposite).
Old 03-10-2010, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by capp325
I agree with everything you stated except for this part. Dry salt does not cause rust; it's salt mixed water that accelerates corrosion. Those salt deposits you get on your car are not causing any harm. Regardless of what car wash owners may want you to believe, washing your car frequently during winter will not do it any good (in fact, it may do the opposite).
I understand your theory, but in the reality of our Michigan winters, salt becomes part of the slush which sticks to the cars. You are correct that dry salt is fairly innocuous, but salt doesn't stay dry around here for long, especially considering that its purpose is to create water from ice. I wash as soon as temps go above freezing by at least spraying clean water in wheelwells and across as much underbody as I can reach with my garden hose. I don't go to commercial car washes at any time of the year.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 PM

merecedes c200k 2009
The break in period is 1,500 kms. In this period you should avoid pressing the gas pedal all the way down, avoid brutal accelerations and you should drive your car in confort mode and after that use the sport mode all the time.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Originally Posted by Sportstick
WELCOME TO ANOTHER MANUAL TRANS OWNER!!
Why is paint protection not worth it?...I got the xzilon coating for the paint and the ventur shield clear bra.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Well, to some degree, it depends what you paid for it. Up to about $50 would be about right considering time/labor. I used to sell it when I was a car salesperson to help pay my way through school. We got a couple of hundred bucks, most of which went right into profits. We called them "sweeteners", because they sweetened the deal for us. Similar to rustproofing, fabric treatment, etc. I knew a guy at a Pontiac store who even sold rustproofing on Fieros!! Anyway, I digress...back to "paint sealant"...this is usually a moderate quality wax, which is bought by the drum, and performs as such. It's nice for a while and then wears off. So, if you paid what a typical wax job costs, you probably came out about even. Be ready to re-apply a great wax of your choice (I like Eagle One Nano Wax) on the usual schedule.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
The xzilon subject got me curious so I did some Google research. Lots of forum comments...here's a sample:

http://www.puresportscar.com/forums/...rotectant.html

Their are apparently several requirements under their warranty. I would suggest carefully reading all paperwork before you decide how to provide ongoing care for your car if you bought xzilon from a car dealer. The warranty is apparently easily voided, but at least one user said making claims is difficult. There does not seem to be a consensus on if/how often re-application is required. Sounds an awful lot like "Polyglycoat" for those old enough to remember!