C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Brake dust problem no more!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
Brake dust problem no more!

If you guys hate brake dust problems, I think I've found the perfect solutions for you guys.

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...ry_index=wheel

It beads HONEY.

Here is an independent test I also found on the product

http://vimeo.com/10218627
Old 03-16-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
the flaw of this test is that it uses liquid and it is being executed immediately after the application of the protectant..
Old 03-16-2010, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB w204 C300 Sport, Audi B7 A4 2.0TQ, Porsche Cayman 981
I just use wax (any kind that you use on the paint of your car will do.) It doesnt repel the brake dust, but it makes it so much easier to clean.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:30 PM

I'm honestly wary of anything Armorall puts out as their interior protectant is one of the worst products you can use on your car. I use a combination of WheelWax and the new brake pads from MB and I haven't even seen a speck of wheel dust in 4 months.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/...test-video.htm

more proof that detailers approve of this product.

keep in mind these are the guys who wash and clean their cars with tiny paint brushes and q-tips
Old 03-17-2010, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Hey Yooker, it "looks" like it works but I think, like many products that make big claims, the proof is how it works in real life.
I am assuming you are going to give it a try and I would be really interested in hearing what you think about it just after application and then in a few weeks, etc.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
yeah it might work the same day you apply it, but I seriously doubt it will protect for 4 weeks. If you get a carwash youll need to reapply, so if you wash every week you need to apply every week
Old 03-17-2010, 08:52 AM

2008 C350
Anybody ever try ceramic pads? Reduced brake dust on my Z by 95%
Old 03-17-2010, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Lv2xfLzzU
Old 03-17-2010, 12:08 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Interesting product. I'm with tusabes, you'll need to re-apply after every wash, but could last up to 4 weeks between washes.

Ceramic pads would be great, but they don't bite as good as these stock pads IMO and the cost would be a lot more than general wheel maintenance.

My only concern is when you apply this to your wheel, does the wheel have to be off the car? If not, how will this product affect your brakes? There is bound to be overspray onto the caliper and disc and they have weird instructions for applying tire shine (apply tire shine before spray, then wipe off tire shine?).
Old 03-18-2010, 06:28 PM

C300 4matic
lol saw this at the local Canadian Tire...

vids look amazing, but doesn't show Brake Dust testing...wonder if it works

I guess I could waste several bucks for the test, but I heard Armor All products kinda suck tho no?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
Just got a can of this, will test it out!
Old 03-18-2010, 11:59 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Let us know how it works! I'm very curious!
Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
So. I actually picked this up a week ago. I'm QUITE amazed at the outcome. If applied right, it really does keep the dust off and slow down the buildup of brake dust on the rear wheels by like................a lot. It says it should be applied every four weeks, so that's like, applying a good coat on each wheel every month. And for $8? Not bad. But really, apply it on well, and don't skimp back, otherwise there will be spots where brake dust builds up.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:59 AM

C350 Sport
Originally Posted by akhenaten
Anybody ever try ceramic pads? Reduced brake dust on my Z by 95%
I run hawk pads on my Z and will look into running hawk pads on my C when the time comes to replace them. I also ran hawk pads on my brembo brakes in my TL.

BTW I have an 03 Z with powerlab kit, full body kit and so on...
Old 04-23-2010, 11:01 AM

C350 Sport
Originally Posted by snarlingchicken
So. I actually picked this up a week ago. I'm QUITE amazed at the outcome. If applied right, it really does keep the dust off and slow down the buildup of brake dust on the rear wheels by like................a lot. It says it should be applied every four weeks, so that's like, applying a good coat on each wheel every month. And for $8? Not bad. But really, apply it on well, and don't skimp back, otherwise there will be spots where brake dust builds up.
Next time around use wax like someone else pointed out and see if its any better/worse.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:10 AM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by snarlingchicken
Thanks for the feedback, I'll definitely give this a try this weekend as I am sick of looking at my dirty wheels after half a days worth of driving after cleaning them. I'm going to pick up a can tonight. Question though, did you get any overspray on your brake rotor/caliper? Are there any issues with that?

I've tried regular wax as well as wheel wax before, it prevents brake dust from really getting caked on for maybe a day. Does help when I want to clean them off though as I don't need to scrub as much, but it's still a nuisance and doesn't prevent dust from caking up on my wheels.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:59 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Bought a can yesterday and applied it last night after a complete wash and wax. Applied liberally like the instructions said. Covered my brakes with paper towel. There was some runoff onto my driveway and it just started raining. Beads up the water very well, I could blow the beads of water from one side to the other. Here is a pic. Didn't get a chance to drive my car post application to see if the brake dust forms or not. Maybe in a few days when it stops raining.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
Yeah. I have a bit of brake dust forming now, but It's been a week, so it's not bad I guess. And I didn't get a good spray on all my wheels. One of my back wheels has noticeable brake dust while the other still looks as shiny as a whistle. Nice to see it worked for you too. Hopefully the outcome will be good.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:36 PM

2009 C200K
Originally Posted by Illusive
Bought a can yesterday and applied it last night after a complete wash and wax. Applied liberally like the instructions said. Covered my brakes with paper towel. There was some runoff onto my driveway and it just started raining. Beads up the water very well, I could blow the beads of water from one side to the other. Here is a pic. Didn't get a chance to drive my car post application to see if the brake dust forms or not. Maybe in a few days when it stops raining.

Please update when you have tested it further !
I really want to try this product. But unfortunately, today i went to all the places that carry Armorall products and they don't bring in this protectant yet, or may be NEVER.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
The effectiveness is temporary, but I think it is worth buying.

I know Armor All has had a bad reputation for deteriorating plastics, leather and rubber, but this specific product is used on alloy wheels which is not absorbant -- I am just curious on what it does to the tires over time from the overspray.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:42 AM

2010 C 300
I feel lucky that the OEM pads from coming with the 2010 give off very little dust. I wash the car once a week and there is little or no build up. Lots of stop and go traffic and about 400 miles per week.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I have not used this product. But I can say that Eagle One is garbage... Makes the rims soapy white smeared and not shiny at all. I still apply the good ol' hand wax.

On a side note, I was never a fan of Armor All Products, they turned my old car's tires brown with the tire shire and didn't hold the wet-look for too long.

The best tire shine is Michelin. If its available go out an buy it. I don't know if its because I have a Michelin tire or what. But the tire stays black and never turns brown, wet-shine lasts about a week!

They have a 3-step procedure:
Step 1: Michelin Wheel & Tire Cleaner
Step 2: Michelin 3 in 1 Tire Shine
Step 3: Michelin Brake Dust Repellent

Last edited by jctevere; 04-26-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:53 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Well after letting them sit overnight and then taking it out yesterday, I'm a bit disappointed. I'll have to have a better look today when I go home from work, but it left a white residue on the inside lip of my wheels. Doesn't look good, it's the equivalent of leaving hard water on your countertop and letting it dry. I ended up wiping down my lip to get rid of the white residue. Still seeing if it sticks to my spokes. So far it looks like it's doing its job. If anyone is considering this and has a lip on their wheels, I'd probably avoid it unless you just want to protect the face of the wheel, but the problem is that they want you to apply it liberally onto the wheel which in turn causes the excess to make its way down to the bottom of the lip anyways. Pictures to come later today.

My wheels have a matte finish and it didn't affect my finish at all. Still looks the same.

As for tire shine, I swear by Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Gel. Lasts the longest of the many products I've tried and only requires one coat to get it nice and glossy. Also smells like gummy bears! As for wheel cleaner, P21S Gel Wheel Cleaner. My wheels look brand spanking new every time. Still having a hard time finding the right wax/brake dust repellant. Might have to give that Michelin stuff a try! I have Poorboy's wheel wax that I put on regularly, it helps, but doesn't eliminate the problem.

aowhaus, just saw your question about the tires, I applied tire shine prior to using this wheel protectant and it didn't have any effect on my tires. I could see where the runoff was from my wheel to the tire to the ground though, but nothing a little touch up from my tire shine didn't fix (still glossy, but you could tell something else was on it!). I don't think it will have any adverse effects on tires if you use tire shine to protect your tires. However, I was skeptical about its effects on the brakes, so I ended up covering my brakes with paper towel. One section opened up when I was spraying due to wind. You could tell where the product made contact with the brake disc, but it was removed when I pulled her into the garage after application. Either way, I just don't trust this stuff being sprayed directly onto the brake disc or caliper.

Last edited by Illusive; 04-26-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:39 PM

SLK280(Gone), C63, CLK550
Originally Posted by Illusive
Well after letting them sit overnight and then taking it out yesterday, I'm a bit disappointed. I'll have to have a better look today when I go home from work, but it left a white residue on the inside lip of my wheels. Doesn't look good, it's the equivalent of leaving hard water on your countertop and letting it dry. I ended up wiping down my lip to get rid of the white residue. Still seeing if it sticks to my spokes. So far it looks like it's doing its job. If anyone is considering this and has a lip on their wheels, I'd probably avoid it unless you just want to protect the face of the wheel, but the problem is that they want you to apply it liberally onto the wheel which in turn causes the excess to make its way down to the bottom of the lip anyways. Pictures to come later today.

My wheels have a matte finish and it didn't affect my finish at all. Still looks the same.
Were your wheels comepletely dry when you applied it? And not move the car for about an hour for the spray to completely dry?

I find that if the wheels were not completely dry when I applied or gets wet while the spray is drying I get those white water spots.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake dust problem no more!