C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Who clean their engine did mine wd 40 did not use water but did not come out clean

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own 2008 C-350 2008 E-350 2005 C -230 Kompressor 2006 FORd F-350 6.0
Who clean their engine did mine wd 40 did not use water but did not come out clean

Who cleans there with anything else than water didn't want to use degreaser and then water. So i used half gallon of WD 40 sprayed it wipe off with cloth all part still didn't come out shine clean . There still dirt in some areas. Any idea how can one clean without using degrease and then rinsing with water. I don't like this solution of cleaning engines tried it once now again my engine is dirty. I do not want to get accustomed to washing my engine. IS there a way to remove all the grin without water ......

Last edited by ATSOBE; 04-10-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09' E350 AMG Sport, 09' C300, 03' Honda S2K
I have heard of some shops that does this professionally, they use a high pressure hose. I am not sure if it is just water or not, but of course all electronics parts are covered up. The dealer should know how or someone as they do it for their CPO cars all the time.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
why don't you want to use a degreaser? That's the best way. I use P21S Total Auto Wash for mine. Spray on, let dwell for 5 minutes, agitate with an assortment of brushes, then spray off. Use aluminum foil to cover up sensitive parts and intake opening.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:03 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Cleaning it up

Originally Posted by ATSOBE
Who cleans there with anything else than water didn't want to use degreaser and then water. So i used half gallon of WD 40 sprayed it wipe off with cloth all part still didn't come out shine clean . There still dirt in some areas. Any idea how can one clean without using degrease and then rinsing with water. I don't like this solution of cleaning engines tried it once now again my engine is dirty. I do not want to get accustomed to washing my engine. IS there a way to remove all the grin without water ......
I don't know why you are so afraid of water. The engine cover keeps the items underneath dry so don't take it off. As far as covering anything, it's unnecessary. And now you have a hell of a mess with WD-40 all over place.

I have been taking my cars to the coin-op car wash for decades and have never had any problems with the modern ones. First, the hot soapy water flushes off the dirt and it flushes off with the rinse. I drive it home and then blow all the remaining moisture with compressed air. When I'm done, the engine compartment is concours clean.

My Porsche 944 is a Concours car and I usually wash the engine before the first event of the year and the judges never find any sort of schmutz under the hood. Because the car has a distributor driven off the nose of the camshaft (not present in the MB), I don't directly hit it with the water because it's possible to get condensation inside. I also cover the cabin air intake with duct tape. When I get home I unplug the few electrical plugs and blow them dry. Since soapy water gets into the alternator (both cars), I flood them with rinsewater before heading home. This does NOT hurt them.

I haven't cleaned the C300's engine since last August's MB club car show so it's about time to do it. Maybe next week.

BTW, whenever the car goes to the dealer for anything, it's show clean, inside and out. Makes a big impression on the shop personnel and they take care of it. Never ever any courtesy washes, of course.

Last edited by RLE; 04-10-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I use a steam cleaner with no chemicals. Works great.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I use compressed air then a damp cloth around the engine. A little dribble of very low pressure water to rinse over the mudguards/radiator area.

You are asking for trouble hosing a modern engine.

WD 40 will make dust accumulate. Best to use a more volitile substance to remove oil ect.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
I agree with RLE on this one. I have cleaned my motors for a very long time on a regular basis and I have yet to have an issue.

For the past several years I have used Simple Green and rinse the motor off with low pressure. The inside of the hood may need a rag taken to it but that's about all the hand washing.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:24 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
CLEANING THE HOOD PAD

Originally Posted by racetested
I agree with RLE on this one. I have cleaned my motors for a very long time on a regular basis and I have yet to have an issue.

For the past several years I have used Simple Green and rinse the motor off with low pressure. The inside of the hood may need a rag taken to it but that's about all the hand washing.
At the car wash, and with the hood straight up, I wash the hood pad top to bottom in straight lines and rinse it thoroughly. Comes out clean and looking like new. Then at home in the garage, I leave the hood open, also stright up to let any water drain out the bottom. Driving the car normally also dries it out.

I would never use a pressure washer or steam cleaner under the hood because high pressure moisture can get into some places it shouldn't and it's never that dirty anyway. The moderate flow of the car wash wand doesn't cause a problem.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 MB
Originally Posted by RLE
At the car wash, and with the hood straight up, I wash the hood pad top to bottom in straight lines and rinse it thoroughly. Comes out clean and looking like new. Then at home in the garage, I leave the hood open, also stright up to let any water drain out the bottom. Driving the car normally also dries it out.

I would never use a pressure washer or steam cleaner under the hood because high pressure moisture can get into some places it shouldn't and it's never that dirty anyway. The moderate flow of the car wash wand doesn't cause a problem.
Yep, sounds almost exactly like my process and again no engine issues on over 8 or so cars spanning several years.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=RLE;4027043]

I would never use a pressure washer or steam cleaner under the hood [QUOTE]

Been using steam and elbow grease for years. Never had an issue. Just be careful and use your head. I have used Simple Green with much success, but only on really dirty engine bays.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Isn't Simple Green good for cleaning your wheel wells?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
I've also had no issues using a mild cleaner and water on the engine on my newer cars. NOT the really high pressure at the coin-op when you pull the trigger, just the low-medium pressure it gives you by default.

When I run my car through a car wash, I usually pop the hood and wipe everything down with a microfiber cloth. Doing this every couple of weeks keeps it looking new. I haven't had to use any degreaser yet on my '08.

What I do have a problem with though is some hard water stains under the hood. The cleaners I've tried haven't not removed them. They usually fade and go away after a few cleaning and some elbow grease but I'd like to find something that works immediately.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Krytech
I've also had no issues using a mild cleaner and water on the engine on my newer cars. NOT the really high pressure at the coin-op when you pull the trigger, just the low-medium pressure it gives you by default.

When I run my car through a car wash, I usually pop the hood and wipe everything down with a microfiber cloth. Doing this every couple of weeks keeps it looking new. I haven't had to use any degreaser yet on my '08.

What I do have a problem with though is some hard water stains under the hood. The cleaners I've tried haven't not removed them. They usually fade and go away after a few cleaning and some elbow grease but I'd like to find something that works immediately.

Believe it or not, Meguiar's cleaner wax works really well.