C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Another Tire Thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'17 C300 Sport, P2, Pano, Black; '17 Jetta GLI White
Another Tire Thread

Here is my situation. I don't drive my benz that often, its my wifes. She drives it like an old lady. For example, she has 41000 miles on the OEM tires and it is time to change the rears. I have the MIchilen hx mxm4's and I have read what people on here say about them.

I have read several threads on here about tires and I am sure there are better options for performance, but my wife likes the way it drives now.

My question is this, should I stick with the mxm4 because my wife likes the way it drives? is there a better all season tire to put on it? I dont want something noisier that is made for high performance? It should be for a quiet, comfortable ride and good wet handling.

Also, the tires on the front don't need to be replaced yet? Should I buy 2 or 4 tires?

Again, I not concerned about performance because she drives it slow and cautious.

one more thing, my mercedes dealship is a tire rack installer and will match any price in town so I will be having them do it, which is nice.

Thanks for any help.

Joe

2008 C300 Sport.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
In this case, 4 new Continental DWS....check tirerack.com survey for ultra high performance all season. You don't need the steering response advantage in your situation of the Pilot Sport A/S Plus, but check DWS snow performance and ride, even vs. lesser levels of tire performance categories!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
the rule of thumb is just to put the new tires on the rear, so you can just change out two if you want. I dont think it will cause any glaring safety problems, especially since we are entering summer
Old 04-10-2010, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by joshg1001
the rule of thumb is just to put the new tires on the rear, so you can just change out two if you want. I dont think it will cause any glaring safety problems, especially since we are entering summer
Not sure about this thumb!! Two new tires with excellent traction on the rear along with two old tires on the front is a perfect set-up for excessive understeer, especially in wet/snow. The initial take-off traction will mislead most drivers into exceeding remaining steering capability, not to mention the effects of weight transfer to the front wheels with the lower performing tires during braking. Tires are the only contact your car has (or hopefully should have!) with the outside world...NEVER THE PLACE TO SKIMP!!!
Old 04-11-2010, 05:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
What do you do if your rears wear twice as quickly at the fronts as mine do?

Rotation is one answer so they all wear out together.

I have not rotated this time as I wished to have an understanding of how my C Class wore
tyres & also I wished to change brands.

I will put two new on the back & hopefully if my calcs are correct all 4 will wear out together ready for Michis or Pirellis.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
I'm in Florida too. I replaced the rear tires with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS+. My front tires were at a 8-8.5 tread level (that's on a scale from 1-10). If they were worn, I would have replaced them. The new tires did not negatively effect ride quality, but they did drastically increase performance.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...new-tires.html
What dealership do you go to?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:01 PM

I have staggered tires so the front don't wear like rears and of course, cant rotate them either. I get mine serviced at Mercedes Benz of Melbourne.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just changed to Pilot Sport AS+ also. I won't use Continental tires again after the experience with the OEM tires. There was also a Pirelli all season tire that got good reviews for this car, a little cheaper then the Michelins.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by purefunk
I get mine serviced at Mercedes Benz of Melbourne.
Good to know. That's not too far from me. Since they are a Tirerack dealer-ask if they will install the Eibach sway bars if ordered from Tirerack.com.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
Good to know. That's not too far from me. Since they are a Tirerack dealer-ask if they will install the Eibach sway bars if ordered from Tirerack.com.
I called them earlier and asked about tires he said they can use the tire rack price and they can order the tires or I can order the tires from tire rack and have them shipped.

I will ask about the sway bars for you. I am pretty sure with the way tire rack works, if they are a tire rack installer, you order stuff from tire rack and then have it shipped there and then pay the installation fee.