C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Squeaks when I tap gas pedal??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 4-matic
Squeaks when I tap gas pedal??

My car (2008-under 15 k miles) recently started making a squeaking sound. At first I thought it might be the brakes as it's almost a 'squealing' but after testing and driving a bit to see where it was coming from, I found that as I tapped the gas pedal lightly in traffic it squeaks each time. Each tap on the accelerator made a squeaking sound. (I also had the a'c on that day and been driving most of the day.) It frightened me so I didn't drive much yesterday and brought it to the dealer this morning. They just called and said they can't find anything-please help! I'm in sales and drive most of the day, usually city driving, sometimes not in the best neighborhoods and am very nervous about driving the car-is it dangerous?-it doesn't sound good to me!? Any ideas on what it might be? They were great at the dealership and want me to come in Monday and take it out with the mechanic to try to replicate the sound. thanks!!!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by gianna
My car (2008-under 15 k miles) recently started making a squeaking sound. At first I thought it might be the brakes as it's almost a 'squealing' but after testing and driving a bit to see where it was coming from, I found that as I tapped the gas pedal lightly in traffic it squeaks each time. Each tap on the accelerator made a squeaking sound. (I also had the a'c on that day and been driving most of the day.) It frightened me so I didn't drive much yesterday and brought it to the dealer this morning. They just called and said they can't find anything-please help! I'm in sales and drive most of the day, usually city driving, sometimes not in the best neighborhoods and am very nervous about driving the car-is it dangerous?-it doesn't sound good to me!? Any ideas on what it might be? They were great at the dealership and want me to come in Monday and take it out with the mechanic to try to replicate the sound. thanks!!!
A remote diagnosis is fraught with risk, so please understand that this is purely a guess and a dealer visit is needed. Your use of the word "squeal" is typical of complaints relating to a drive belt. It is also interesting that you heard this while driving around all day, but that a morning trip to the dealer did not produce the same sound, so there may be an issue of temperature. Also, has there been a significant change in the general weather temperature where you are, such as did it just become much warmer out? Was your use of the A/C the first of the season? Generally, the early and first squeals of a belt are not immediately a risk for failure, but it should be corrected. I suggest you drive the car around with the A/C on until you hear the sound, and then go directly to the dealer. Another first thing in the morning trip on Monday may be more likely to produce another "NTF"......"no trouble found". But, again, this is just my best guess.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:01 AM

C300 4Matic
C300 Squeeky Gas Peddle

I have a 2011 C300 4Matic with about 20K on it, when I tap the gas peddle it squeaks. I thought it might have been the shoes I was wearing but it happens no matter the temp, shoes or driving condition and only when i am tapping it. I live in Chicago so its a lot of stop and go...slow traffic and its consistent. It is driving me crazy!!!! I have not taken the car in yet for this issue as I don't beleive its anything to be concerned of, just more of a nuisance. Has anyone experienced this? Was there a fix if you took it to MB? Thanks!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 c250
u sure its from the pedal and not anything else? my 2012 c250 makes a squealing sound when at low speed...it came from my left rear wheel well. and MB says its something with the e-brake not disengaging. but ive never once used my e-brake. my car has been in the shop 7 times now and its still in the shop now going into its 4th week.

my suggestion is to see exactly where the sound it coming from. have someone stand outside on both sides to see if its coming from outside of the car.
record the sound with your phone or camera. contact your dealer (hopefully your warranty is still good). and have them fix it. good luck
Old 07-19-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
Originally Posted by gianna
Can you reproduce it by pressing on the pedal when the car is off? Trying to determine if it's part of the linkage. Could be a return spring that needs a bit of white lithium grease. But that being said, I have not looked at a MB gas pedal so don't really know what the linkage looks like.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:17 AM

2020 C363 S / 2007 SLK55 / 2016 F150 4x4 / 1998 Cobra Convertible
Originally Posted by mfkl2
u sure its from the pedal and not anything else? my 2012 c250 makes a squealing sound when at low speed...it came from my left rear wheel well. and MB says its something with the e-brake not disengaging. but ive never once used my e-brake. my car has been in the shop 7 times now and its still in the shop now going into its 4th week.

my suggestion is to see exactly where the sound it coming from. have someone stand outside on both sides to see if its coming from outside of the car.
record the sound with your phone or camera. contact your dealer (hopefully your warranty is still good). and have them fix it. good luck
Just an fyi...not sure if the Ford dealer was blowing smoke up my @ss, but when we took my wife's Expedition in for some service (can't recall what...) they said that the emergency brake was shot. We told them that we had NEVER used it. They then claimed that not using it can cause a problem because things get stuck, etc, blah blah blah. Again, just a heads-up that you might want to exercise it on occassion "just in case"....
Old 07-20-2012, 06:52 AM

2010 C350, 2011 BMW 328xi
I had this in my 2010 as around 25K miles. Dealership Just replaced it under warranty--problem fixed.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:50 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Squeaks

Originally Posted by ltcinf
I had this in my 2010 as around 25K miles. Dealership Just replaced it under warranty--problem fixed.
It? Replaced what? The unit that the rod from the backside of the gas pedal operates?

I don't know why the long treatise on belt squeals since the first post clearly said it is heard when the gas pedal is moved slightly.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by RLE
It? Replaced what? The unit that the rod from the backside of the gas pedal operates?

I don't know why the long treatise on belt squeals since the first post clearly said it is heard when the gas pedal is moved slightly.
They replaced the pedal assembly itself. The C350 gas pedal is a "fly by wire" meaning there are no rods or cables as such. Just wiring attached to the pedal itself--like a switch. My dealership told me there was no way to stop the noise from the pedal so they just replaced it.

Make sense?
Old 07-21-2012, 12:24 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by ltcinf
They replaced the pedal assembly itself. The C350 gas pedal is a "fly by wire" meaning there are no rods or cables as such. Just wiring attached to the pedal itself--like a switch. My dealership told me there was no way to stop the noise from the pedal so they just replaced it.

Make sense?
Sure does. if you look at the gas pedal you will see why. It doesn't come apart easily, if at all.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 PM

2008 C300 Sport 4MATIC
I have this same issue, except it is definitely temperature related - it only happens at what seems like temperatures below 40F. It is a clicking/squeaking noise that seems to be coming from one of my passenger wheel wells. It only begins after driving for about 2 minutes after starting the car. Anytime I park for a few minutes and start back up, the noise goes away again for that same period of time.

I really can't pin-point it. Because it's temperature, I'm thinking it has to be a fluid of some sort, but it doesn't go away as I drive, the fluids should be heating up.

Anyone have any other ideas????
Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by BenzTWM
I have this same issue, except it is definitely temperature related - it only happens at what seems like temperatures below 40F. It is a clicking/squeaking noise that seems to be coming from one of my passenger wheel wells. It only begins after driving for about 2 minutes after starting the car. Anytime I park for a few minutes and start back up, the noise goes away again for that same period of time.

I really can't pin-point it. Because it's temperature, I'm thinking it has to be a fluid of some sort, but it doesn't go away as I drive, the fluids should be heating up.

Anyone have any other ideas????
I had the same squeaky pedal problem. Dealer replaced under warranty and it solved the problem. Easy fix. And same problem--seemed only to happen when it got cold out.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 PM

C300
I had this on my chevy silverado

I tracked it down to the pedal pivot pin, sprayed some gt85 on it and never heard it again
Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 AM

2008 C300 Sport 4MATIC
The only problem with the pedal idea is that when I put the car in park and rev the engine, there is no noise that responds to the pedal. It will occasionally make the noise when I am in park and not touching anything.

The noise is also more pronounced when going up hills, almost as if it is directly related to engine output.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I'm having the same problem, squeaks when lightly tap on gas or let go of gas. My car is out of warranty is there any less expensive way to fix this
Old 12-14-2013, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by snowmuch
I'm having the same problem, squeaks when lightly tap on gas or let go of gas. My car is out of warranty is there any less expensive way to fix this
The problem went away in summer and just came back when the temperature drops. Still looking for a solution...
Old 12-15-2013, 02:23 AM

2008 C300 4matic
Sorry, got no solution right now but same problem on mine, 2008 with 41K miles and it is cold outside...

I wonder if spraying a little WD40 around the area might help? Sure sounds like a spring needs a little lubricant
Old 12-16-2013, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Mine just started doing this when it's cold. Seems to be the plastic parts squeaking when they move. I think it just needs to be lubricated. Going to do that next time I have the chance. You could try something like WD-40, but the best option is going to be a dry silicone spray lubricant. Use it very precisely so it doesn't end up on the carpet / pedals, otherwise it can get dangerous!!
Old 01-24-2014, 03:11 AM

2008 C300
I have the same issue which started this winter. Like others mentioned it happens when i tap the gas pedal. Has anyone fixed this out of warranty?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
I had this on my 2011, replaced gas pedal under warrantee.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:19 AM

2008 C300 4matic
Same here, 2008 with 42K miles. Very possible it is only cold related, sprayed lubricant with nothing to loose but that did exactly that...nothing. It is not that loud and does not happen all the time. My latest fix is to turn up the radio and wait for summer
Old 01-24-2014, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Me too. Sprayed it with WD-40 (didn't have anything better around) and it did nothing. Maybe I didn't use enough, but I don't want it pooling in the rheostat and throwing an error either. I'm too lazy to drive all the way over to the dealer for such a simple thing. It has become quieter and more rare, even in this cold snap.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:38 PM

C207 - 2011 E550 Coupe
sorry to bump this old thread, but I have just noticed this same thing on my C207 (2011 E550 coupe). Has a bit over 60K KM on it but only noticed it this morning
Old 02-12-2017, 09:11 AM

09 c300 MB 4matic
Originally Posted by mbdriver1
I have a 2011 C300 4Matic with about 20K on it, when I tap the gas peddle it squeaks. I thought it might have been the shoes I was wearing but it happens no matter the temp, shoes or driving condition and only when i am tapping it. I live in Chicago so its a lot of stop and go...slow traffic and its consistent. It is driving me crazy!!!! I have not taken the car in yet for this issue as I don't beleive its anything to be concerned of, just more of a nuisance. Has anyone experienced this? Was there a fix if you took it to MB? Thanks!
Hello my 09 c300 4matic does the samething . I'm wondering is it bcuz my belt is going bad . When ever I start my car first thing in the morning the belt squeaks but after about 20 min of driving the noise leaves . So I'm wondering is the squeaking gas pedal relate to this noise
Old 02-12-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 C350
Originally Posted by Veronica London
Hello my 09 c300 4matic does the samething . I'm wondering is it bcuz my belt is going bad . When ever I start my car first thing in the morning the belt squeaks but after about 20 min of driving the noise leaves . So I'm wondering is the squeaking gas pedal relate to this noise

i was waiting for someone to say something refferring to their belt.. check ur pulleys .. Reason i say this is bc i had the same problem everyones talking about butt mainly you.. my 08 c350 did the same thing, come to find out it was the pulleys ... they come as a kit on ecstunning wit the belt

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squeaks when I tap gas pedal??