C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

For Those Who Don't Wear Seatbelts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
For Those Who Don't Wear Seatbelts

I don't recommend not wearing a seat belt, but I have read posts asking how to disable the reminder chime. I found this on Ebay and thought people might be interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-B...item4aa0efb104a
Old 05-22-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 c350
thats just dumb imo. isnt a LAW to wear your seat belt o.O
Old 05-22-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C204
Is there any car part out there that isn't carbon fiber?

I guess the target market for this product are consumers OVERLY obsessed with carbon fiber and annoyed of the beeping noise.

I don't think I would buy this product if it weren't in carbon fiber
Old 05-22-2010, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350 Sport/ML350RWD
I would buy them. Not because I don't wear my seat belt, but because I can't stand hearing the chime when I have something (not someone) sitting on the seat.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
I would buy them. Not because I don't wear my seat belt, but because I can't stand hearing the chime when I have something (not someone) sitting on the seat.
I get the logic, but you might want to put in the trunk something with enough mass that it triggers the seat sensor, or at least in the rear wrapped with the belt. In case of a driver side impact, that object would come at you with roughly a force of mass x speed.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 PM

C300
that's crazy! haha
Old 05-22-2010, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
here's a reason not to use this product:

BTW, carbon fiber goes well with the clover pattern seats.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by aowhaus
here's a reason not to use this product:

BTW, carbon fiber goes well with the clover pattern seats.
Damn! That's a horrible accident.
I didn't even notice the VW interior.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:50 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Belts

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
Damn! That's a horrible accident.
I didn't even notice the VW interior.
Looks like a W210 E-Class with leather.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Originally Posted by RLE
Not the crashed car. The one in the Ebay post. You can see the VW on the receptacle.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:20 AM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Originally Posted by kevinwithdabenz
thats just dumb imo. isnt a LAW to wear your seat belt o.O

Did you know the LAW is 65 mph on the highway or 35 on a city street, did you ever go faster. did you ever go thru a stop light a little late. I could go on and on and on.

You might say what does the above have to do with wearing a seat belt. The cases above, if you ever did them, you could end the life of someone else. Whether I wear a seat belt is a choice which effects ME, no one else.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:34 AM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
Originally Posted by RLE
Wow, you have good eyes. I can see how this might have been a W210, but I can't tell what interior it had.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:32 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Leather

Originally Posted by alpinweiss
Wow, you have good eyes. I can see how this might have been a W210, but I can't tell what interior it had.

I can see the driver's seat clearly on my 23" Apple Cinema HD display.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:39 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Belts

Originally Posted by jcash60
Did you know the LAW is 65 mph on the highway or 35 on a city street, did you ever go faster. did you ever go thru a stop light a little late. I could go on and on and on.

You might say what does the above have to do with wearing a seat belt. The cases above, if you ever did them, you could end the life of someone else. Whether I wear a seat belt is a choice which effects ME, no one else.
So, when you are injured or killed because you don't wear the belt, the costs of those injuries, the effect on your family and the possibly reduced insurance recovery because of your contributory negligence have no value, then.

This is the same argument the motorcyclists use regarding helmet laws and is just as foolish.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 AM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Originally Posted by RLE
So, when you are injured or killed because you don't wear the belt, the costs of those injuries, the effect on your family and the possibly reduced insurance recovery because of your contributory negligence have no value, then.

This is the same argument the motorcyclists use regarding helmet laws and is just as foolish.

You sound like a insurance company or some Reverend in his pulpit, telling people what to do on Sunday, when he does the opposite on monday. Your pontificating on what everyone else should do is what is foolish and more to the point dangerous for freedom. Lets hear your views on fat people, shinny people. drinking alcohol, morals, religion, government and the thousands of other things, I could go on and on and on. I would bet you want people to have all your views on everything. Do you wish to have others tell you what you are going to do in life. Probably not because you wish to be the teller! Seatbelts on the scale of life lists near the bottom of real issues, maybe spending more time near the top would be productive, just a thought.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
I drive stupid as hell and hit the race track on Sundays, but I never got the point of not wearing seat belts. Just look at the number of racing fatalities per year before they put seat belts in race cars and afterwards. That's all the persuasion I needed. If Michael Schumacher wears a seatbelt every time he gets in a car who the **** am I to think I don't need one?

Am I the only one that finds a null seatbelt in racing carbon fiber ironic?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:58 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Worked

You sound like a insurance company or some Reverend in his pulpit, telling people what to do on Sunday, when he does the opposite on monday. Your pontificating on what everyone else should do is what is foolish and more to the point dangerous for freedom. Lets hear your views on fat people, shinny people. drinking alcohol, morals, religion, government and the thousands of other things, I could go on and on and on. I would bet you want people to have all your views on everything. Do you wish to have others tell you what you are going to do in life. Probably not because you wish to be the teller! Seatbelts on the scale of life lists near the bottom of real issues, maybe spending more time near the top would be productive, just a thought.
We are talking about seatbelts here and that's all. And my attempt to push your button clearly worked and very well.

One question: Do you know personally anyone who has struck their head in an auto accident? I do.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 AM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Originally Posted by RLE
We are talking about seatbelts here and that's all. And my attempt to push your button clearly worked and very well.

One question: Do you know personally anyone who has struck their head in an auto accident? I do.

No we arn`t just talking about seatbelts you brought up it`s THE LAW. I say "we all pick and choose what LAWS we ignore every single day. Just because it`s a law doesn`t mean it`s right by everyone. I, like everyone else pick and choose the LAWS I`ll obey or not.

Now to seatsbelts. well lets see what the danger is. average 40,000 people die a year in car accidents, all these are not seat belt related, lets say half are 20,000 die a year because they were not wearing seatbelts. In perspective 150,000 per year die from just entering the hospital, not because of their sickness because someone made a mistake. If your doctor puts you in the hospital for a check up you are 7 1/2 times more likely to DIE than getting killed in a car accident. I could give you many, many more but I will not bore you.

Am I advocating you or anyone else should not wear seatbelts, ABSOLUTLY NOT, you do whatever you want, it`s your choice. I`m sick of car companys putting buzzers in MY CAR TO MAKE ME DO THINGS THAT ARE MY CHOICE. Do I wear a seat belt YES at times, on the highway or whenever I deem it to be prudent, IT`S MY CHOICE. I don`t need anybody telling me what to do and when to do it

Last edited by jcash60; 05-25-2010 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:59 AM

C350
Not to troll, but I liked this Yahoo answer, regarding why you should wear your seatbelt:

Because when you don't wear your seat belt....you can be thrown violently around the vehicle and your body then becomes a major hazard and inflicts injuries on others in your car.

Because if you are severely injured (such as a "hangman's fracture"...very common injury prevented by wearing a seat belt) you are likely to be disabled. Now ....me...and every other tax payer gets to pay for your support. Because of your stupidity...you will now go on disability....collect Medicaid.

Additionally, if the automobile accident was not your fault and you have a severe injury ....you're going to sue the at fault driver for an injury that was easily preventable by wearing a seat belt. This results in a higher claim pay out (these are significant injuries...and very very expensive). This affects the insurance companies bottom line...which results in higher insurance premiums for all policy holders.

So...your stupidity does not affect just you.

Sure...I'll support resending the seat belt law....on the condition that another law is passed that states if you are injured in an MVA and receive an injury that could have been reduced or prevented by wearing a seat belt....you lose all rights to sue the other driver for that injury, you lose all rights to disability/medicaid that results from that injury. That as a result....you are 100% financially responsible for your injury.

But....then you would not be willing to do that...would you. You consider it "your business" until it hits you in the wallet.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
The discussion of this topic has become far too emotionally heated...again. Having been the Vehicle Safety Manager for 6 years for an automobile manufacturer I will leave unnamed, let me add a couple of facts to the above, none of which carry any value judgments or tell anyone what to do.

No question about seat belts reducing injuries and fatalities. How society wishes to enforce compliance or deal with the real costs of non-compliance is a social/political issue. But, there certainly are costs of a single person dying in a single vehicle crash, more likely if unbelted, but possible either way.

Risk is additive, not substitutional. Not wearing belts increases overall risk of injury/fatality, along with its consequential costs, no matter what other higher risk activities you may or may not engage in.

There is a measurable amount of crashes involving multiple vehicle strikes, as a vehicle ricochets. A belted driver stays in position and more likely in control and able to avoid secondary vehicles, people, etc.

This is data, not my opinion, I'm not telling any of you what to do, calling anyone any names, and I am not about to argue this...

Chill out and stay safe, everyone!! (That's root beer! Safe for driving!)
Old 05-25-2010, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350 Sport/ML350RWD
It's funny. I don't remember this kind of response when a poster asked how to disable the seat belt chime.
I just thought this was nice for when no one is sitting in the seat. After all- I'm a Carbon Fiber FREAK!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:37 AM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Originally Posted by nickm
Not to troll, but I liked this Yahoo answer, regarding why you should wear your seatbelt:

Because when you don't wear your seat belt....you can be thrown violently around the vehicle and your body then becomes a major hazard and inflicts injuries on others in your car.

Because if you are severely injured (such as a "hangman's fracture"...very common injury prevented by wearing a seat belt) you are likely to be disabled. Now ....me...and every other tax payer gets to pay for your support. Because of your stupidity...you will now go on disability....collect Medicaid.

Additionally, if the automobile accident was not your fault and you have a severe injury ....you're going to sue the at fault driver for an injury that was easily preventable by wearing a seat belt. This results in a higher claim pay out (these are significant injuries...and very very expensive). This affects the insurance companies bottom line...which results in higher insurance premiums for all policy holders.

So...your stupidity does not affect just you.

Sure...I'll support resending the seat belt law....on the condition that another law is passed that states if you are injured in an MVA and receive an injury that could have been reduced or prevented by wearing a seat belt....you lose all rights to sue the other driver for that injury, you lose all rights to disability/medicaid that results from that injury. That as a result....you are 100% financially responsible for your injury.

But....then you would not be willing to do that...would you. You consider it "your business" until it hits you in the wallet.

Children go around and calling people stupid, you`re obviously a child with a mans car, grow up.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:32 PM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
The discussion of this topic has become far too emotionally heated...again. Having been the Vehicle Safety Manager for 6 years for an automobile manufacturer I will leave unnamed, let me add a couple of facts to the above, none of which carry any value judgments or tell anyone what to do.

No question about seat belts reducing injuries and fatalities. How society wishes to enforce compliance or deal with the real costs of non-compliance is a social/political issue. But, there certainly are costs of a single person dying in a single vehicle crash, more likely if unbelted, but possible either way.

Risk is additive, not substitutional. Not wearing belts increases overall risk of injury/fatality, along with its consequential costs, no matter what other higher risk activities you may or may not engage in.

There is a measurable amount of crashes involving multiple vehicle strikes, as a vehicle ricochets. A belted driver stays in position and more likely in control and able to avoid secondary vehicles, people, etc.

This is data, not my opinion, I'm not telling any of you what to do, calling anyone any names, and I am not about to argue this...

Chill out and stay safe, everyone!! (That's root beer! Safe for driving!)

I understand your point. I will simple say: if you define a society in terms of risk you end up with a litigious society, that no longer can function, this is where this country is headed. A risk assessment can be made for EVERY ACTION AND EVENT IN LIFE. If you never left your house there will be risk. A case can be made on both sides of all events. Soon if you stand up and get your head taken off you will be equally responsibly for standing up. I`m not against seatbelts, I`m against LAWS that take the free choice away and people/corporations that love all their free choices but wish to inhibit yours.

Off topic: I went Mercedes, they had no RWD`s but measured 8 4 matics, there was as much as 5/6" different in the same car. I have neverpaid much attention to ride height differences in the same cars until, I`m coming to the conclusion the there are differences and thats it.

The dealer says they are not going to be ordering RWD`s "for stock, only special order" for 2011, to little demand in this part of the country. So the saga goes on, is the 4matis lower than the RWD?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I understand your point. I will simple say: if you define a society in terms of risk you end up with a litigious society, that no longer can function, this is where this country is headed. A risk assessment can be made for EVERY ACTION AND EVENT IN LIFE. If you never left your house there will be risk. A case can be made on both sides of all events. Soon if you stand up and get your head taken off you will be equally responsibly for standing up. I`m not against seatbelts, I`m against LAWS that take the free choice away and people/corporations that love all their free choices but wish to inhibit yours.

Off topic: I went Mercedes, they had no RWD`s but measured 8 4 matics, there was as much as 5/6" different in the same car. I have neverpaid much attention to ride height differences in the same cars until, I`m coming to the conclusion the there are differences and thats it.

The dealer says they are not going to be ordering RWD`s "for stock, only special order" for 2011, to little demand in this part of the country. So the saga goes on, is the 4matis lower than the RWD?

I think the biggest point here is that we rwd manual transmission drivers need to rise up and be heard!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM

2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I think the biggest point here is that we rwd manual transmission drivers need to rise up and be heard!

Those damn corporations they do it every time

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: For Those Who Don't Wear Seatbelts