C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

purchasing a new c300 2010, help needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 03:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300w4
purchasing a new c300 2010, help needed

Hello

I am planning to buy a new Mercedes Benz C300 2010 model. I am little confused about few things and I seek your help to clear my doubts. I am a first time car buyer and I am looking for guidance.

a) Is almond/mocha interior bad? I personally like it but everyone seems to prefer black interior.
b) Bi-xenon headlamps, are they really useful? Is it possible to get LED taillamps & Bi-xenon headlamps fitted in the car later on?
c) I came to know that C300 lights turn when you turn the steering. Is that an additional option or it’s a standard feature? What exactly is the role of corner illuminating fog lamps?
d) Harmon / Kardon speakers, how are they compared to standard speakers which come with mercedez? Is it possible to change speakers (which may change no. of speakers) after you buy the car?
e) Is it possible to separately install quickpark features (like sensors which beep when you close to any object while parking) after you buy the car?
f) How is the navigation system that comes with C300? What are the pros and cons?
g) Is it possible to add rear view camera later on after you buy the car?
h) Do we get roof and rear spoilers separately so that I can install them later on?

thanks,

atishay
Old 06-04-2010, 10:26 AM

2009 C300 4Matic
A) I drive a 2009 C300 with the almond/mocha interior and i love it. I've had the black interior in the past but decided to switch it up and i personally love the look of it.

D) The HK speakers/sound system is absolutely amazing! I test drove the same C300 with and without the HK and specifically tested the difference and i definitely noticed it. The standard sound system is still amongst the best standard systems you can get in vehicles i'm sure, but the HK one is second to none in my opinion. Outstanding sound, clarity, bass, etc.

F) The navigation system is really nice, i'm really glad i got it in my car. It took some figuring out in terms of searching points of interest, but the instructions and voice-activated system work outstanding!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I always prefer black. Almond/Mocha is one that looks pretty good to me though. I'd still probably choose black/black for me, but I think Almond/Mocha is pretty nice.

xenons - I love xenons. My C had it from the factory. I didn't know how much I appreciated them because my SLK I later got did not have them. On the SLK, it has a nice projector lens, so I did convert to xenon, but it does not look as good as factory.

If you can find a car with xenons, or if you are going to order one, I personally would not pass them up. They are actually a bargain in the end. If you aren't ordering though and can't find a car with them, you'll have to make that decision. One thing about the C, since it is a normal sedan, you have a normal seating position, so halogens wouldn't be so bad. In my SLK, I sit low, which made halogens even worse. Still, if you can find them, get the xenons, I think it's some of the best money you will spend on the MSRP of the car. A retrofit will never match factory, unless you bought factory mercedes xenon headlamp assemblies, which are like $1500 each ($3000 total) and that still wouldn't give you head lamp washers, corner fog lights, etc. You see the value of the option from the factory.

Corner illuminating fog lamps are *ONLY* if you have the xenon/lighting package (or P2 they called it up through 2010). If you have stock head lamps, you have no corner fog lamps. They only come on at lower speeds when you turn the steering wheel or turn your indicator on. The purpose is to shine some line towards the black area you are turning into.

Harmon Kardon sound system is a good bit better than the stock system. If you can find it, you might want it. I don't have it, I miss it sometimes, but I often have other people in the car, so the radio is turned to a low level most of the time. Speaker changes are not impossible, but probably won't end up doing it.

The current Mercedes Navi like that you can get in the C is very good in my opinion. I have used this system in rental cars. I even used the system in Europe, when I was unfamiliar with the system, the roads, and everything there, but I was still able to use it ok. I think it works great. I don't have any real negatives to say about it. My car does not have it though because I typically only take it places I know, but I would certainly consider it for my next Mercedes.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:45 AM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
a) Interior color is a personal preference. Get what you like.

b) Bi-xenons are useful and I wouldn't have bought a car without them. Some people have retrofitted but there are pros and cons and also different qualities of products available. Search this forum for what other people have done if you're really interested in adding them later. My personal preference was to just buy the car with them especially because the Pkg 2 (which includes the bi-xenons) also included the folding rear seats, which are invaluable for someone who doesn't have a second larger vehicle (like me).

c) The corner-illuminating fogs light up the corner you're going to turn into before you turn into it. The goal is to eliminate those "oops, I didn't see you there" moments. It's optional but included with the bi-xenons.

d) I don't have the H/K system and I don't miss it but I'm not an extreme audiophile either. You should listen to both and decide for yourself.

e) I don't know about quick park.

f) Having the navigation integrated into the car is nice and it comes with other nice things such as the larger, retracting screen but honestly a Garmin is $200 and works just as well, if not actually better.

g) You can add the rear view camera later if you get the navigation. Search this forum and you'll find at least one really informative thread about installing the camera.

h) You can install spoilers later.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
a) Don't know. I have black and like it.
b) Had Bi-xenon on several other cars; MB halogens work fine.
c) Had corning lights on 7-Series and don't miss them.
d) Standard system sounds just fine.
e) Might have gotten that but also don't care much (...wife does a better job).
f) Purposely didn't get it (had in many cars); prefer portable Garmin.
g) Don't need it.
h) Don't know.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09' E350 AMG Sport, 09' C300, 03' Honda S2K
I got black, almond if you have no kids
I woudnlt buy the car without Xenons
Cornering light are useless, I also have them on anyways
Standard system is fine and is way cheaper for aftermarker than the H/K
Old 06-05-2010, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Cornering lights are not useless. They really light up the road as you turn into a corner, if it is really dark out without street lamps.

I don't like how cars look with fogs on all the time.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
You have not asked for any information on how the car handles, ride comfort, steering weight, fuel economy , engine quietness, road noise, servicing costs,spare parts cost, car performance , brake feel, gearbox lag time , wind noise, seating comfort.................ect.

It may be a good idea before purchasing to be aware & avoid disappointment.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:51 AM

c300w4
Thank you everyone. I think I got most of my questions answered.

Hello Carsy, Thanks for bringing this point up. Being a new buyer, I was assuming all these things to be high quality in a mercedes and did not try to discuss these. I read reviews on internet and things felt ok.

Could you please share your thoughts about the features you talked about.

I have to pick between C300 sports sedan & BMW 328i. What should I know to make a good decision to avoid disappointment.

When I test drove c300 and 328i, I thought 328i is quieter but i may be wrong. what do you think?

One more question, does All Wheel Drive really make a difference as opposed to RWD? I know it rains a lot in my city and people say All Wheel Drive is a good thing to have it. Do you really miss it in rainy situations?

Regards,
Atishay
Old 06-05-2010, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by atishay
a) Is almond/mocha interior bad? I personally like it but everyone seems to prefer black interior.

f) How is the navigation system that comes with C300? What are the pros and cons?

h) Do we get roof and rear spoilers separately so that I can install them later on?
I'm just picking questions on which I can offer some help.

A) everyone does not prefer black. I have the grey and black two-tone which opens up the roominess feel and reduces the heat load inside the car. With MBTex, it is also very easy to keep clean. The new tan interior requires some sacrifices, so make sure you are ok with them, for example, you have to take woodgrain and cannot get aluminum, which makes the car seem old-fashioned to me.

B) I've heard many complaints about the MB Nav. At $2500, it should be five times as good as a top end Garmin, but I understand it does not perform as well, other than being built-in. I took the Garmin route with an Arkon vent mount, which safely places it at a very convenient level. I don't get lost or not know my destination that often, so I am not close to a daily user and I would save the two grand and do Garmin again.

C) I got my roof and deck spoiler afterward and had them applied with urethane as well as the tape which comes on them for extra security. There have been reports about people taking great care to prep surfaces, only to have tape-only installations eventually come loose. The paint matches from the two sources I used were very good.

Versus a 328, the C is more refined, comfortable, and vault-like. The 328 is more nimble and athletic. Aesthetics are personal choice. The killer for me is that the 3 series comes with run flats, which can be easily replaced for conventional better performing tires (BMW has been defending a class action on these tires), but the dunderheads took out the spare tire storage area, so even a minispare has to roll around in the trunk.

I have rwd and do just fine in Michigan, even with snow. I use great snow tires. If you mostly are concerned about rain, I would not even consider carrying around all the extra weight of 4MATIC...reduces fuel economy and performance. Just use a few of those dollars saved from 4MATIC and the MB Nav system for some ultra high performance all season tires (I prefer Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus) and enjoy the fact that you don't have to ever cope with snow.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by atishay
Hello Carsy, Thanks for bringing this point up. Being a new buyer, I was assuming all these things to be high quality in a mercedes and did not try to discuss these. I read reviews on internet and things felt ok.

Could you please share your thoughts about the features you talked about.

Regards,
Atishay
The isues I read on this forum with the W 204 are:-

Wind noise around rear view mirrors.
Too much lag time between Reverse & Drive.
Slow throttle response from standstill.
Steering too light.
Rattle from engine on start up.
Minor seat & body rattles.
Lower grill plastic easily broken by stones.

I own a 220 CDI & am completely satisfied with it.

My advice to anyone buying a car is to test drive it at least 3 times in all conditions eg highway, city traffic ,gravel roads for rattles , suspension ability & at night.

It is a big decision & should not be taken lightly. For psycholigical reasons you should always wait at least 4 days before making a decision to allow the heat of excitement to go out of the deal.It also puts pressure on the dealer to make you a better offer.

My dealer allowed me to take the car home overnight to access. I put it up on ramps & checked all mechanicals & drove it under most conditions.

Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by Carsy; 06-05-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
If you want Xenons, get them built into the car. You will want them and upgrading somehow is a pain.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:31 AM

E-Class
Originally Posted by Carsy
My dealer allowed me to take the car home overnight to access. I put it up on ramps & checked all mechanicals & drove it under most conditions.
Dealers in Australia are nicer than in the USA or you dealer is very nice. I have bought cars from the same dealer group for over 30 years and used to work part time for them while I was in high school so they know me and give me always a good deal I think. They sell Audi, BMW, Mercedes,Toyota,Lexus, Nissan, Infinite, Ford and Lincoln.

They have never let me take a car before buying it, they never let me test drive any model more than 1-2 miles around the dealership in question and couple of times I asked if I could test drive it on the freeway they told me no because the freeway is like 5-6 miles away and people tend to complain if the cars have more than 20-30 miles on the odometer. I asked to test drive 550 models on the freeway to see if the V8 is worth the extra money over the 350 because for city driving V6 is more than adequate. I can understand were they are coming from as all the cars I have bought from them have between 10-15 miles, I buy cars for my wife, 2 teenage kids and myself and I have never seen a car with more than maybe 20 miles.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cyberjak
Dealers in Australia are nicer than in the USA or you dealer is very nice. I have bought cars from the same dealer group for over 30 years and used to work part time for them while I was in high school so they know me and give me always a good deal I think. They sell Audi, BMW, Mercedes,Toyota,Lexus, Nissan, Infinite, Ford and Lincoln.

They have never let me take a car before buying it, they never let me test drive any model more than 1-2 miles around the dealership in question and couple of times I asked if I could test drive it on the freeway they told me no because the freeway is like 5-6 miles away and people tend to complain if the cars have more than 20-30 miles on the odometer. I asked to test drive 550 models on the freeway to see if the V8 is worth the extra money over the 350 because for city driving V6 is more than adequate. I can understand were they are coming from as all the cars I have bought from them have between 10-15 miles, I buy cars for my wife, 2 teenage kids and myself and I have never seen a car with more than maybe 20 miles.

The dealers have demo models here so it does not matter as much if the Kms are run up .

The benifit of higher mileage cars is that they are run in giving the customer a better idea of what their car will be like in the future. You can also accelerate heavily to test its response.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:58 PM

E-Class
Originally Posted by Carsy
The dealers have demo models here so it does not matter as much if the Kms are run up .

The benifit of higher mileage cars is that they are run in giving the customer a better idea of what their car will be like in the future. You can also accelerate heavily to test its response.
You know what they have some dealer demo's of certain cars only but not all models and the demo cars they tend to have are of the cheaper models like C300 and not C350 or E350 sedan and not E550 sedan or any coupes. They did have an E350 convertible demo car but not a E550 etc.

So maybe dealers in Australia have more demo cars or because most of the models Mercedes currently are selling in the USA are selling for either close to invoice or below even dealers or Mercedes are unwilling to have too many demo cars and just have enough of them so people can get the fell of the car in general or figure people buying more expensive cars do not care etc.