C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Roof and trunk spoilers dont match

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E400 4Matic
Roof and trunk spoilers dont match

Ordered my roof and trunk spoilers from JBSpeed and took them to the Mercedes dealership to get them installed today. The manager came back out and asked me if I had looked at these up against my car.

I knew what he was about to say becasue I did look at them up against my car and I thought the color was a little off, but I thought maybe it was just my eyes or the lighting situation, so I dismissed it.

The color is off. They had 3 people from the shop looking at it in the shop and outdoors.

Now here is something that I did not know. My car is Arctic White, paint code 650. There are 3 different variations of the paint code 650. One is a bright white, one has a little yellow tint to it, and one has a reddish tint to it. They showed me paint samples of each color. It appears that JBSpeed painted it the bright white and mine is the white with a small hint of the yellow tint.

Now I am going to have to incur the cost of having them repainted at the dealership in addition to what I paid JBSpeed. I have not told JBSpeed about this yet, but I will today. I'm curious to see what they are going to do about it. They will probably want to see pictures of how the parts did not match, but you probably will not be able to notice it in a picture. Like the guy at the dealership said, "its probably something the average person walking by would not notice, but you will". And thats the problem, I would know that they dont match, so everytime I walk by the car I would be looking at them and shaking my head in disgust.

I ordered from JBSpeed due to the positive comments on here about them and per their website, they want every customer to be 100% satisfied, so we will see. I'm not asking for a full refund, but a refund for what it is going to cost me to have them repainted would be nice.

I will let you all know what happens.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I was one of his satisfied customers....sorry it did not work out as well for you. Before repainting, have you tried asking JBS to exchange for the proper color? When I ordered, he asked for color code and a photograph of the car. My match was perfect. Perhaps send a close up showing the contrast between the colors? The best and more economical solution may be to let JBS send new parts and cover the shipping for your return?

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-27-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
15 E200CGI SPORT
I think Brian from JBSpeed would be able to help you out with it. He took care of me well. Hope you get your problem sorted out soon.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:13 AM

2016 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I was one of his satisfied customers....sorry it did not work out as well for you. Before repainting, have you tried asking JBS to exchange for the proper color? When I ordered, he asked for color code and a photograph of the car. My match was perfect. Perhaps send a close up showing the contrast between the colors? The best and more economical solution may be to let JBS send new parts and cover the shipping for your return?
Its too late for that. I already left the parts at the dealership and they are working on them. Should be ready Monday. Plus, I dont have time to be shipping parts back and forth.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:15 AM

2016 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Royce118
I think Brian from JBSpeed would be able to help you out with it. He took care of me well. Hope you get your problem sorted out soon.
I am sure that Brian would do what is right, I would hope so anyway. I just sent an email to JBSpeed, so I will see what happens. I dont think that I am being unreasonable in asking for a credit for what it is costing me to have them repainted.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

15 E200CGI SPORT
Originally Posted by johnlk25
I am sure that Brian would do what is right, I would hope so anyway. I just sent an email to JBSpeed, so I will see what happens. I dont think that I am being unreasonable in asking for a credit for what it is costing me to have them repainted.
Yeap I believe it is reasonable enough as well. Since he asked only for your paint code when you ordered it. See how well he treats you. If he do treat you nice, I'll proceed with my roof spoiler order right away. I'm still debating whether I want the looks of it or not.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:02 AM

2016 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Royce118
Yeap I believe it is reasonable enough as well. Since he asked only for your paint code when you ordered it. See how well he treats you. If he do treat you nice, I'll proceed with my roof spoiler order right away. I'm still debating whether I want the looks of it or not.
I sent them an email and they responded right away........lets just say that we are in negotiations right now.

The parts are great. They are going to look awesome when they are installed. I love them. I am disappointed because I was so looking forward to having them installed today. Oh well.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

15 E200CGI SPORT
Please do keep me updated. I've done business with them and frankly speaking I'm very satisfied with their service. Got 3 sets or the rear license plate leds and a rear spoiler from them previously.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport 6MT
First off, I definitely feel for you since getting new toys/parts in is exciting and delays in getting them on the car are disappointing, but since you mentioned that there are three variants of color 650, something I didn't know either, not sure if JBSpeed would (or should?) know this? Faux-pas on MB's part IMO. If there are variants within the same color code, they should've made them unique, e.g. 650, 651, and 652.
It sounds like JBSpeed is trying to work something out for you from a Customer Service perspective, but since you've chosen to have the dealer re-spray, you've removed a key/obvious path for them to rectify the situation.
Post pics after the spoilers are on!
Old 08-27-2010, 02:09 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Doanster
First off, I definitely feel for you since getting new toys/parts in is exciting and delays in getting them on the car are disappointing, but since you mentioned that there are three variants of color 650, something I didn't know either, not sure if JBSpeed would (or should?) know this? Faux-pas on MB's part IMO. If there are variants within the same color code, they should've made them unique, e.g. 650, 651, and 652.
It sounds like JBSpeed is trying to work something out for you from a Customer Service perspective, but since you've chosen to have the dealer re-spray, you've removed a key/obvious path for them to rectify the situation.
Post pics after the spoilers are on!
Well, I have made JBSpeed aware of the 3 variants in paint color for paint code 650, so I would think that they would correct this in the future. I cant believe that I am the only one who has had this problem. Certainly there have been other people who have ordered a spoiler from JBSpeed in paint code 650. Either theirs matched or they just intalled in anyway, or they just didnt comment about it in this forum.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:22 PM

'10 W204 4matic
post some pics once you get them on there!
Old 08-27-2010, 02:26 PM

2010 C350 & 2003 M5
I have an arctic white myself and was wondering how do we tell which variant we have?
Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by T-MC-G
post some pics once you get them on there!
I will post pics.....before and after pics.....its going to look so good, I can hardly wait.

And let me say that I am not hacked off at JBSpeed. Things go wrong, accidents happen, its part of life........I just want it fixed the fastest way possible and that was to have the dealer re-do them.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:29 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Stack24
I have an arctic white myself and was wondering how do we tell which variant we have?
Thats a good question. I honestly dont even know where to find the paint code on the car. I got it off of the window sticker. It clearly states the paint code is 650.

I know in some American made cars, there is a sticker in the trunk with all the codes on it, but not in the Mercedes.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:35 PM

2010 C350 & 2003 M5
Thats a good question. I honestly dont even know where to find the paint code on the car. I got it off of the window sticker. It clearly states the paint code is 650.

I know in some American made cars, there is a sticker in the trunk with all the codes on it, but not in the Mercedes.
That is really interesting how it has different shades like that with no difference in color code. I would love to see them all side by side.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE

Check the black label with VIN and barcode on the b-pillar base in the driver door opening. Do you see near the top a C650? Mine shows C792, which is Palladium.

P.S. You'll also see the month and year of assembly!
Old 08-27-2010, 02:39 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Stack24
That is really interesting how it has different shades like that with no difference in color code. I would love to see them all side by side.
They held up a paint chip from each of the 3 colors to my car. I must say, its kind of hard to notice. I had to walk around and look at it from different angles, but nonetheless, it is noticeable. If all 3 cars were parked side by side and you just glanced at them, you probably would not notice, but if you got to really looking at them, you could probably tell.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:44 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
Check the black label with VIN and barcode on the b-pillar base in the driver door opening. Do you see near the top a C650? Mine shows C792, which is Palladium.

P.S. You'll also see the month and year of assembly!
Just looked. Mine says C650. I didnt realize that my car was made in South Africa though.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Just looked. Mine says C650. I didnt realize that my car was made in South Africa though.
That means your car came from the highest quality plant producing C Class vehicles! Their data was better than Germany's last year, and we've had extensive threads on the "image conscious" buyers who only want Black Forest elves building German branded cars!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:39 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
That means your car came from the highest quality plant producing C Class vehicles! Their data was better than Germany's last year, and we've had extensive threads on the "image conscious" buyers who only want Black Forest elves building German branded cars!
Wow....well thats good to know that it was built in one of the best plants.

I am happy to report that I have reached a resolution with JBSpeed that I am happy with. Its nice to see that they took care of this issue on the same day that I reported it to them.
Old 08-27-2010, 03:52 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
Hmmm....I just had a thought. So how many plants are there that produce the C-class? If there are 3 plants and 3 different variations of the paint code 650, might each plant be producing their own color of white?

Just a thought.........probably not the case, but I am trying to figure out why there are 3 variations of the paint code.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09' E350 AMG Sport, 09' C300, 03' Honda S2K
JB Speed Brian is a guy that will take care of his customer, no need to worry about that. I ordered a spoiler for my C and the paint match perfectly, I will be getting one from him for E soon.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by charliele729
JB Speed Brian is a guy that will take care of his customer, no need to worry about that. I ordered a spoiler for my C and the paint match perfectly, I will be getting one from him for E soon.
What color is the C-300?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:02 PM

2010 W204
I dont mean to hijack this post. But does this mean that W204 has two different versions of the white color?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:22 PM

2016 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by huir
I dont mean to hijack this post. But does this mean that W204 has two different versions of the white color?
Well, thats what I was told by my dealership. I saw the 3 paint chips of the 3 different versions of Arctic White. I did not know this until I saw it for myself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Roof and trunk spoilers dont match