C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Am I being harsh?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Am I being harsh?

Over the last few days I have found pictures of my car in ads on Ebay that are being used without my permission. Two are clear bumper marker ads and one is for AMG replica wheels; the set I bought from Discount Tire last winter.

I feel like I am being petty when I ask them to remove my car from their ads, but why should they benefit from my time, research and work? As we all do, I post photos of my car in this forum as a free service to other members and to share ideas. I'm insulted to see my car in an ad that makes it appear as if I got the items from them and that I am representing their company.

I appreciate that they like my car enough to use it in their ads and listings, but they did not do the work. I bought the wheels and the tire monitors. I drove an hour to buy tires that were sold out almost everywhere. I then mounted the wheels and tires on my car in 20 degree weather. If they want to use my photos to sell their product, I want compensation for my efforts.

I see other members' cars in ads too. I always wonder if the member knows, or gave the seller permission to use the photos.

Early on I allowed a company to use my car in their clear bumper marker ad, but they made it worth my effort. I asked the new bumper marker guys to remove the photo of my car from their listing. They photoshopped it to make it look blue and changed the wheels. I just emailed the wheel seller this evening. Can't wait to see how he/ she alters the photo.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
Not being harsh at all. I see sellers listing members' cars all the time. Even the pictures of other manufacturer's product. I do as much as I can to notify the people whose photos are being wrongly used. But the sad thing is, once you upload on the internet, it becomes fair game to whoever sees it. Sure you can ask em to take it down, but some other seller will just probably end up using em too. :/

Here's a potential example. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...#ht_1100wt_880

Overstock auto using FrankW's pictures for a Carlsson CF lip. Not sure if Frank approved (but it's a possibility seeing as they're centered in Walnut, CA) but if I recall he got his lip from JL-Motoring.

Another one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbo...ht_5443wt_1106

I know for a fact that that first picture belongs to Jl-Motoring....they did a rather crappy job of trying blurring it out too...

Last edited by snarlingchicken; 10-14-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 CGi
Yeah those people are just not 'legitimate' seller. if they have the product as good as described, why would they use someone else car?

Its like finding your gf private picture on some random phone sex, etc website.

BLEH!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Has happened to me a few times also. I asked the sellers and also E-bay to remove the pics. Sellers ignored me and E-bay gave me a BS line that they can only pull the auction if I had used the pics to sell the item myself. I stopped caring at least they blurred my plates.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:40 PM

c350
I would be proud to have my car in an Ad, and also it helps out others when searching ebay to see exactly what there buying. Unless its not related to there sale.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
I have complained many times and seen results. I don't mind if it is the same item I have, but when someone uses the pics of my CF Euroteck lip and diffuser and they are selling some cheap knock-off it stirs anger.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
other companys did not ask me if i can lend or send them photos of my diffuser but for my cf lip DCTM i gave them permission to use my pictures on Ebay
Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 PM

C300, 330i, MDX
I don't think you're being harsh. You have every right to complain and ask them to remove the picture of your car. Especially if you're not endorsing the product.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
I think the federal copyright law provides for a $10,000 claim for each photo that's used without the creator's permission. I do think you have to mark that it's copyrighted, though.

If they remove your copyright notice by croping of by otherwise photoshopping, they're in for even more trouble.

This could be a way to start putting away a few dollars for your next car.