C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Headlight alignment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Headlight alignment

Hey guys, did a search and came up with a thread that looked promising and posted but got no replies. Rather then bumping a post that has tons of other stuff that people get side tracked talking about, though I'd ask the question up front.

My driver's side factory HID headlamp is pointing slightly higher than the passenger side one.

What is the standard procedure to level the lamps? Is it like the halogen lamps where I can adjust them? I figured it isn't, as I couldn't find anything that looks like an adjusting screw. Someone here mentioned that one of their sensors came loose once, and they re-strapped it. I don't know if it solved their problem either.

If it helps, I suspect this occurred following a bone-jarring pothole on the driver's side that blew out a tire and chipped two rims a few months ago.

I know for a fact this isn't just my eyes playing tricks on me. My girlfriend complains that my left light is too bright when I'm following behind her and I frequently notice it is hitting the car in front's rearview/headliner area (mostly compacts).

I can also see where the right headlamp beam pattern ends and the left one's pattern extends further out. It even hits highway signs sometimes.
Also, when following other W204's, whether they are P1 or P2, I notice how much higher my headlamp cuts off against the highway divider than theirs.

So guys, in a nutshell, how can I fix this problem.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C
http://www.high-intensity.org/forums...read.php?t=413

That's a very good guide on xenon aiming
Old 10-27-2010, 10:43 PM

W205 c400 sport
Originally Posted by Samieee
http://www.high-intensity.org/forums...read.php?t=413

That's a very good guide on xenon aiming
nice find!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:13 AM

Great alignment guide but I'm more interested in finding out whether I can adjust the factory hid lights that come with the p2 package. The guide mentions that it is for cars retrofitted with projector housings and aftermarket hid lights.

I'd really hate to shell out a half hour or more on labor to fix this.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I completely agree with you. I did a little searching in a previous thread I was a part of. This post was from RLE, also a MBworld.org member: "If you have Xenon lights, there is a level sensor on the right rear suspension arm and another on the right front suspension. For Europe, Xenon light equipped cars have this system by law. So, it's worldwide.

Get under your car and look above the RR suspension arm for a small wired box with a movable rod connecting to a bracket on the arm."

Hopefully that helps you out. I live out on Long Island too. Try calling Huntington Mercedes Service department and ask them if there is an adjustment, they might be able to tell you over the phone? Also, it could be done under warranty? Just bring it in, and act stupid like nothing happened and everyone is complaining. They can't charge you unless they tell you how much they will charge first. But I should think it would be covered under warranty.

The white screw is only present (to my knowledge) in the halogen headlight equipped w204's. It is pretty hard to miss, you just stand in front of the headlight and look straight down (about 3-4 inches past where the headlight ends and the compartment is open, but pretty deep down. If you go to remove the dust cap covers, your hands will hit them.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C
Sorry I wouldn't know how to adjust factory xenons. That guide works for any car with xenons. It shows you the correct leveling of the cut off line
Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by jctevere
I completely agree with you. I did a little searching in a previous thread I was a part of. This post was from RLE, also a MBworld.org member: "If you have Xenon lights, there is a level sensor on the right rear suspension arm and another on the right front suspension. For Europe, Xenon light equipped cars have this system by law. So, it's worldwide.

Get under your car and look above the RR suspension arm for a small wired box with a movable rod connecting to a bracket on the arm."
I withdrew that post the other day when I was unable to find anything on the rear suspension. Inquiries at my dealer led nowhere (Service writer AND Tech knew nothing) so I will have to corner the Service Manager next week about it. Turns out the rear sensor was present on my W203 but not the W204.

In any case, your problem has nothing to do with the level sensors, wherever they may be. Otherwise, both lights would be high, clearly. It sounds like the big bang may have dislodged or broken one of the plastic parts inside the light assembly. You might remove the rear cap and peer in with a mirror and light.

If the tire and wheel replacements were covered by insurance (and why not?) then if the light has a broken part then it will be covered too.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:17 AM

Wow, sorry to pull up a months old thread.

FINALLY, got around to the dealer for a service B and they claimed to have fixed the headlight issue.... (I try to group these things together, sometimes they will pass on charging you labor since they are already having you grab your ankles for the scheduled maintenance)

I had mentioned the wire gate holding the bulb in place had come undone on one side and was impossible to get back on. IDK if they replaced it or what. The bulb is seated properly now and pointing dead ahead, but is still wayyy too high.(highway signs are lit up from less than 100 feet away).

My issue had been that the bulb was pointing high and right. Now it is pointing high and straight. I will try to return today to see what I can get out of them.

I reckon there is a piece or two broken inside/around the headlamp housing, as RLE mentioned. What is a reasonable price for taking apart the front end to get to the headlight and see what is causing this damned issue....? I was hoping for maybe 1/2 hour labor tops?

Last edited by dcjwlee; 08-25-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
I have an adjuster on the dash . Just dial the position you want ! Suitable for possum shooting or rabbits.

Last edited by Carsy; 08-25-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 PM

Problem solved.

After removing the plastic guard covering the headlight housing I noticed a small white screw located forward and center on the housing. The white screwed is slightly recessed in black plastic and might take a second to spot. A few turns clockwise and BAM..... headlights are adjusted properly.

My W204 is equipped with the bi-xenons from the factory FYI.