C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

No free maintenance for MB?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C350 Sport
No free maintenance for MB?

Guys, I called dealer to perform schedule B they told me it cost $400 and they said it is not free even that my car is in the warranty. I am surprised I thought maintenance is free for MB like BMW. I did not know this and definetely will not take car to dealer for maitenance, will do it myself.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
The Service B is normally around $200 to $300. And yeah, coming from a BMW I would assume this would be shocking :P

Here's a coupon for service B. http://www.sbmercedes.com/index.cfm?...pecial=service Even though it's in California, you could ask them to price match.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 W210 E55
lol yea i was pissed when i found out bmw owners got free scheduled maintenance but yea i just do the easy stuff myself or have one of my buddies to do it... dealership is a rip off but if u get to know service advisor they hook u up too...
Old 10-28-2010, 08:40 PM

08 C350 Sport
Thanks guys! Service B is not a big deal, most important is to change brake fluid. The other stuff I do myself. With my BMW it was nice to have maintenance for free for 5 years.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:43 PM

C
Originally Posted by haykf1
With my BMW it was nice to have maintenance for free for 5 years.
That's the biggest thing I miss about BMW. I've always wondered why MB doesn't do this
Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 AM

c300
well... i've always believed that "free maintenance" is worked into the bmw price tag.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by absolutleo
well... i've always believed that "free maintenance" is worked into the bmw price tag.
This may be handled at least in one of two primary ways, having come from "that side of the tracks". It may be in the price, if the cost of the program is tagged onto the program profitability inside BMW's accounting. The program management of the vehicle lines (as this is across all models) would have gotten together to ensure that the cost has been offset by pricing to maintain margin financial targets. The way to investigate this would be for someone to do a comparably equipped analysis of an MB vs. a BMW and see if there is unexplained price in the BMW. (Cost = the expenditure in the company to produce the vehicle; Price is the amount charged for the vehicle. Terms have different meanings).

The other alternative is that the vehicle line programs at BMW are meeting their targets without being tasked to include pricing for the maintenance. BMW would have created a budget for the Marketing Department for advertising, merchandising, auto shows, etc. The Marketing Department may have identified that they are more likely to reach their volume and share objectives by spending their budget on supporting the so-called "free maintenance", than investing in other marketing activities. If this was the case, a comparably-equipped analysis of an MB vs. a BMW would not show unexplained pricing on the Bimmer, leaving many to scratch their heads and conclude the maintenance is free.

However, if BMW was able to reach their objectives without having to include maintenance, their overall corporate costs would be lower, resulting in either a chance for more competitive (lower) pricing, or increased profitability if they maintained price parity with their primary competitors....you can guess at which would be more likely!!!

So, it's either possible that BMW buyers are really paying for this, or they are benefiting from BMW having to work harder to meet their sales goals.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:04 AM

C350
A lot of MB dealership seems to overcharge for their service. Nice to see you not just bend over for them.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:07 AM

2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport 4Matic
Is Service A free? I didn't take mine in yet.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
I think the price is worked in....my rationale is that comparably equipped models of bimmers are more expensive...ironically about the same of what we pay for the first few years of services. Try it out.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Originally Posted by MBHellBlaze
Is Service A free? I didn't take mine in yet.
No
Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM

08 C350 Sport
If you look at the C class maintenance the schedule A and B for MB there is not much really. Mostly oil change and brake fluid change. The rest of check levels and stuff. Which is not a big deal to check yourself. So oil change costs around $100 and brake fluid flush $120 at the reputable non-dealer mechanic shop. Total is
around 220 for service B. Things like cabin filter and air filter can be easily changed by owner. Paying dealer $400-450 does not make sense and there is no guarantee that they will put your favorite oil.

BMW maintenance is costs more. For second maintenance they charge around 1200 if warranty is gone, but they change all fluids and adjust valves in M3 if needed.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:34 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Originally Posted by absolutleo
Bingo. They factor the cost of maintenance into the costs of producing and selling the vehicle. In turn, the price that the buyer pays has accounted for their cost including maintenance + desired profit.

Mercedes-Benz used to include scheduled maintenance during the warranty period but stopped including it several years ago as a way to cut costs.

Originally Posted by Sportstick
The way to investigate this would be for someone to do a comparably equipped analysis of an MB vs. a BMW and see if there is unexplained price in the BMW.
It's not that simple. The two companies produce different cars with different materials costs, manufacturing costs, labor costs, R&D costs, expected warranty costs, and accounting costs among others. You can't simply look at a BMW that costs $x more and say that's what BMW is charging for the "free" maintenance or see that they're priced the same and say that BMW is writing it off as a marketing expense.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Originally Posted by mr inkredibul
I think the price is worked in....my rationale is that comparably equipped models of bimmers are more expensive...ironically about the same of what we pay for the first few years of services. Try it out.

Yeah...really.

Why would anyone think its free when they pay a premium for the car? Bet the salesmen are breaking a stitch laughing over that one.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by balticgreen
Bingo. They factor the cost of maintenance into the costs of producing and selling the vehicle. In turn, the price that the buyer pays has accounted for their cost including maintenance + desired profit.

Mercedes-Benz used to include scheduled maintenance during the warranty period but stopped including it several years ago as a way to cut costs.

It's not that simple. The two companies produce different cars with different materials costs, manufacturing costs, labor costs, R&D costs, expected warranty costs, and accounting costs among others. You can't simply look at a BMW that costs $x more and say that's what BMW is charging for the "free" maintenance or see that they're priced the same and say that BMW is writing it off as a marketing expense.
It actually doesn't work that way. Cost and price have only a tenuous connection, ensuring the company doesn't go upside down. But, having looked at more lines of Excel worksheet "we have/they have" analyses in a major car company for the last 25+ years, I can assure you pricing is far removed from cost. Actually, Engineering and Program Management have responsibility to continually drive down cost, while Finance and Marketing control pricing based on competitive analysis, with variations based on feature content. If there was an attempt to raise price and make a vehicle less competitive, Sales walks in and takes down program volume, making it a self-defeating exercise in most cases.

For example, remote keyless entry prices are essentially common across the industry, except when additional features are added to the key fob, and a feature value is created for each one. So, to the degree that the rest of an MB vs BMW has variations which make a true comparable "we have/they have" analysis imprecise, every single dollar of difference may not be explained by the maintenance program. However, if the vehicle comparisons are relatively precise and any differences are accounted for, the maintenance program would be the best explanation of a significant out-lier of unexplained price. Differences would be based on each manufacturer's assessment of their own feature content vs. competition, not cost.

If you think about it, at the time a feature or program is approved, about 3 years ahead of launch, only approximate prices are known as costs develop. Each program and feature has a business case which indicates if it represents the best use of investment funds for the most positive Net Present Value. It lives or dies on that analysis...cost cannot simply drive a higher price without losing product volume. Then, by the time the vehicle launches, the pricing reflects the current market conditions, whether the costs have increased or decreased (which also does not result in a price drop, just improved margins!). There are enough functional "chimneys" inside car companies, based on reponsibilities,, that these programs can result in very contentious discussions when programs don't actually launch with great profitability...("Reduce your costs!! Raise your prices!!).

This may not make sense to you, but this is how the auto industry operates as I learned in a lifetime career experience.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:06 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Free?

Originally Posted by Samieee
That's the biggest thing I miss about BMW. I've always wondered why MB doesn't do this
It has in the past. The W203 warranty included free service. Undoubtedly built in to the price.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by balticgreen

The prepaid maintenance is now available as an option. Not sure on the pricing though...

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...e_brochure.pdf
Old 10-30-2010, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by Samieee
MB used to offered a few years back
Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Benz in SA all come with a maintenance plan. Same as BMW Motorplan. Let me assure you that you pay for it in the price of the vehicle.