C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Equalizer in Engineering mode for 2011

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Equalizer in Engineering mode for 2011

Hey guys. First time poster, long time lurker. Just got a new 2011 C300, used to have 2008 C300. Turns out the the new 2011 multimedia doesn't include HK system. So I updated it with some components and two ways.

I was trying to find the equalizer that is mentioned in engineering mode but don't see it as an option. Can anyone tell me where it is or is it possible that they took it out of the 2011 engineering mode?
Old 04-08-2011, 12:48 AM

2011 C350 Sport
Welcome to the board!

Just checked myself and the only thing I could find is the 7.8 and 7.9 menu in the Engineering settings menu (hangup + 1 + #, then hangup + 4 + #). These are in the second page of the 7 menu from the secondary engineering settings menu. You can scroll up and down in the menus using 2 for up and 8 for down.

The only options I had was to reset the EQ and audio profile... I got scared and didn't do a thing.

I myself prefer a bright sound and the sound system is a little to mid-heavy for my tastes. I'm planning on the Infiniti speaker upgrade, but I'd probably be happy if I could just turn down the midrange a bit. Even with the treble setting at max my system still sounds like mud.

I'm keeping an eye on your post. I have yet to replace my speakers.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Here are pics of how to get there. Some claim that a software update to the headunit can provide this parametric equalizer function. Update would be needed for a 2008 I believe, pics are of a 2010 C Sport with stock Audio20 headunit.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...udio-20-a.html
Old 04-10-2011, 12:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GLB 2023
I have a 2011 c300 sport non-hk and I have the parametric eq. Made a big difference in the highs. It was really muddy sounding before like the poster said above, after the adjustments it felt like I had new tweeters.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 AM

Mercedes Benz C300
Question Where is it?

Just got a new c300, and much like many of you, I was really disappointed with the sound. This thread gave me hope, but for the life of me I can't seem to be able to access these sub-menus. The screens posted by Acapulco Bill are probably for the non-navigation version, I can't even see those options on my screen when I enter either via hang-up, 1 and # or further, via hang-up, 4 and #. Any luck, anyone? Help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:54 AM

Mercedes Benz C300
Question Where is it?

Just got a new c300, and much like many of you, I was really disappointed with the sound. This thread gave me hope, but for the life of me I can't seem to be able to access these sub-menus. The screens posted by Acapulco Bill are probably for the non-navigation version, I can't even see those options on my screen when I enter either via hang-up, 1 and # or further, via hang-up, 4 and #. Any luck, anyone? Help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C300 Sport
Can this same EQ be accessed with the same method if I have a 2011 with MM package and audio 20?

Also is the EQ different per input device, like CD/Radio/Aux each have their own EQ or is it a global sort of change?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 AM

2012 Luna C
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
Here are pics of how to get there. Some claim that a software update to the headunit can provide this parametric equalizer function. Update would be needed for a 2008 I believe, pics are of a 2010 C Sport with stock Audio20 headunit.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...udio-20-a.html
I can get access to the EM, but it seems I cant edit much in it. I cannot tweak the frequency. But I've got a loaner vehicle before, it had the smaller screen. With that screen, i was able to modify the frequency.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:21 AM

2012 Luna C
Originally Posted by mwaldron
Welcome to the board!

Just checked myself and the only thing I could find is the 7.8 and 7.9 menu in the Engineering settings menu (hangup + 1 + #, then hangup + 4 + #). These are in the second page of the 7 menu from the secondary engineering settings menu. You can scroll up and down in the menus using 2 for up and 8 for down.

The only options I had was to reset the EQ and audio profile... I got scared and didn't do a thing.

I myself prefer a bright sound and the sound system is a little to mid-heavy for my tastes. I'm planning on the Infiniti speaker upgrade, but I'd probably be happy if I could just turn down the midrange a bit. Even with the treble setting at max my system still sounds like mud.

I'm keeping an eye on your post. I have yet to replace my speakers.

Hey I did the total opposite of that. I did hit reset. But nothing happend. You lose the text of what was originally there, but as far as sound, nothing changed. Everything works fine. I do miss the text there though...
Old 05-12-2011, 03:13 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
I may be wrong but I think this is the deal. 2008 and 2009 had it in both systems, I had it in my MM 2008 C350 but that included HK those years. My mom has a 2010 w MM but no HK system, she does not have the EQ accesible. I just got a 2011 C350 w MM, no HK tho. 2010 and newer they split into 3 options, MM, nav, HK. seems alot of cars w MM DONT have HK. so stupid it sucks. The dealer told me that this is called audio 50 if you have MM screen, audio 20 is fixed screen. He also seemed to think audio 50 was bose system. I removed half the interior and began my install of the sound system, and there is no bose on anything. its the same speakers and such as base radio. I did infinity 62.9i in both doors and barely hear a difference. I added my subs and amp (boston G2) from the last C and the sound sucks. Now I have to add a cleansweep for DSP cause teh noise is bad, and another amp 4 channel for high ends. moral of the story, never get a MB without HK. NEVER
Old 05-12-2011, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C300 Sport
Sh*t. Ok well I have the Audio 50 then, MM & Nav with no HK. On Acu. Bill's reco I ordered the Infinity 60.9CS, are they not going to retrofit into the doors easily? Is there seriously no EQ control?

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
I may be wrong but I think this is the deal. 2008 and 2009 had it in both systems, I had it in my MM 2008 C350 but that included HK those years. My mom has a 2010 w MM but no HK system, she does not have the EQ accesible. I just got a 2011 C350 w MM, no HK tho. 2010 and newer they split into 3 options, MM, nav, HK. seems alot of cars w MM DONT have HK. so stupid it sucks. The dealer told me that this is called audio 50 if you have MM screen, audio 20 is fixed screen. He also seemed to think audio 50 was bose system. I removed half the interior and began my install of the sound system, and there is no bose on anything. its the same speakers and such as base radio. I did infinity 62.9i in both doors and barely hear a difference. I added my subs and amp (boston G2) from the last C and the sound sucks. Now I have to add a cleansweep for DSP cause teh noise is bad, and another amp 4 channel for high ends. moral of the story, never get a MB without HK. NEVER
Old 05-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Mercedes Benz C300
There has to be a way to solve this. Since the heart of the problem seems to be equalization as opposed to deficiencies in the system (e.g. further adjustment of highs, lows, bass, trebles, etc.), how about installing a 3rd party equalizer? They are pretty cheap on amazon (under $100)
Old 05-12-2011, 05:41 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
The biggest complaint I have isnt the sound and whatnot, its the noise in the music. I dont really buy cds anymore, I have mostly mp3s and they vary in recorded clarity. I hear all teh background noise and crap in the recordings, the HK has DSP in it and cleaned it all up made it sound perfect. I bit the bullet again and am adding a DSP to the system before both amps. Im hoping the DSP and the high range amp makes the infinitys at least as good as teh HK system was. I will post pictures and results next week after completion. Then again Im an audiophile and music is top priority in a car right behind performance.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
@jimmythegreek: I though the words "audiophile" and "MP3" were mutually exclusive!!!! Anyway DSP that includes an audio expander will help restore some of the MP3-lost dynamics. If there is a lot of noise, however, it is doubtful the MP3 was generated from a CD, the only noisy ones I know of are Caruso and Toscanini reissues of old 78 records. LOL

As for argentino's comment about the need for an EQ: Analog equalizers only generate phase shift and distortion, haven't used one in over 40 years and most people only know how to make them "SMILE". Actually no system I have owned for the last 30 years even HAS any kind of tone control - straight from the turntable/preamp or CD into the power amp. If the sound system is high quality, the wave-launch and EQ of the speakers should be perfect to begin with, just like your music source. Why mess it up?

As far as the parametric EQ in the Audio20 headunit, it is all digital (quite a caveat!!!) and as far as adjusting it for the Infinity 60.9's I eliminated the 2300 Hz bump that took care of the suck-out at the woofer-tweeter xover point of the OEM speakers. Flat as a pancake. I dont know what people expect the parametric equalizer to do for them. The tone controls are hinged and will boost or drop the lowest and highest frequencies around the typical 1000 Hz centerpoint. This should be sufficient to "salt" the sound to their taste.

One would need a 1/3 octave analyzer to go poking around and see what needs to be tuned by the parametric EQ. Someone posted somewhere about an app for the iPod, I would prefer a hand-held mike and software for a laptop.

Anyway the point is that ANY audio system, for the home, car or stadium, should first be flat and distortion free, and then use external aids (DSP, parametric EQ) to correct tiny details, not to make huge adjustments.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:02 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
100% agreement here BILL. It sucks that if you have MM in a 2010 or newer you cant change teh EQ settings here in the US. Im doing just as you recommend, using the JL cleansweep to flatten the stock input and then let it be DSP'd to where it should be then passed along to the high range amp w proper cutouts and the low amp with proper filters. The beauty of teh HK system is that it has DSP and is all optical, it filtered every music input type in the car beautifully IMO, its worth alot more then the 850 add on to MM in the newer cars. It should be standard in a BENZ if you ask me. Ill let you know how my install turns out next week and post pics. If your ever around NYC BILL come tune my EQ for me!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:06 PM

2011 c300 sport
Can someone post settings that they were happy with? Thanks