C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

HID vs CV 4300k

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 01:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 White C300 Sport
Angry HID vs CV 4300k

here's my experience with headlamps...

after searching on the form, i decided to bought my hid kit from hidextra
however, i was very disappointed when i see the ballast....there's no label on them and no installation guide even the box was totally white...
and after installed it...i was again disappointed with the light pattern
so i took them off 5 mins after i installed them

then i bought the crystal vision 4300k and put them on today~
i was satisfied with the light pattern at first, but in a few min of night driving...i was disappointed again...because it is not as advertised to be 30 or 50% brighter...it doesnt even match the stock halogen output....

so now i have another set of ddm kit in hand and will install it soon
(the ddm kit seems to be build with better quality, but no sure yet!)

will let you guys know what's the result

am i being too picky? or is it just impossible to get the sharp light pattern and the brighter output like the oem hid??
Old 10-29-2010, 08:19 AM

C
The projector is meant for halogens and not hid so you will not get a sharp pattern. Try the Philips Diamond Vision 5000k. I've heard good things about it
Old 10-29-2010, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
I get surprisingly good output from the ddm kit. it's not flawless, but I think it's the best option. Colored halogens don't do anything.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Niti24

you can get DDM but I'm not all that satisfied with them. I have been looking at Light Werkz. They are a bit more expensive but the difference is unbelievable.

http://www.lightwerkz.net/prod_mercedes.htm
Old 10-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Niti24

look at these pics also

http://www.lightwerkz.net/gallery/ma...g2_itemId=5321
Old 10-29-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
2020 AMG C63 Coupe, 2012 C63 AMG Coupe, 1989 560SL
I've been using luminic titaniums whites, and theyve been doing a good job of atleast matching the stock halogen output. as soon as i get the money though I am definitely going to lightwerkz and getting some s2000 projectors put in
Old 10-29-2010, 03:18 PM

2010 White C300 Sport
thanks for all the responses...
i already got a ddm kit~so will put it on when i have time...
guess i will be running ddm kit till i have more money for Light Werkz retrofit

and yes...the light pattern from Light Werkz is unbelievable!!!!
wish i had the p2 package : (
Old 10-29-2010, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW M235i 6MT
Originally Posted by Samieee
The projector is meant for halogens and not hid so you will not get a sharp pattern. Try the Philips Diamond Vision 5000k. I've heard good things about it
+1 You should see no difference in light pattern between the HIDExtra kit and the DDM kit. Also, DiamondVisions are probably worse than CrystalVisions, because they are tinted even more.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:11 PM

2010 White C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Richard2011
+1 You should see no difference in light pattern between the HIDExtra kit and the DDM kit. Also, DiamondVisions are probably worse than CrystalVisions, because they are tinted even more.
yep dont think diamond vision will be a better choice..

when talking about improving visibility, do hid kits give better output even if they have crappy light patterns?
cause i didnt even took my car out at night last time...(when i had the hidextra installed)
Old 10-30-2010, 01:22 PM

2010 White C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Niti24
you can get DDM but I'm not all that satisfied with them. I have been looking at Light Werkz. They are a bit more expensive but the difference is unbelievable.

do you know how much they charge for the conversion?!
seems like $410 is just the deposit~and need to pay more afterward?
i might send them my headlight if its only 410!!!
Old 10-30-2010, 09:37 PM

C
Originally Posted by x942k6
do you know how much they charge for the conversion?!
seems like $410 is just the deposit~and need to pay more afterward?
i might send them my headlight if its only 410!!!
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...onversion.html

Check out that thread. OP posted price he paid on last page
Old 10-31-2010, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
I'm pretty happy with my light cut-off using the stock housing. I have the slim digital ballast H7 HID 55w 8000k kit. Make sure you get the digital slim and not the cheaper raptor (I believe its called that) HID kit from DDM. Here is a picture of my beam output. I adjusted this from stock and this is why it goes up on the sides. I have extensively tested it to make sure I am not blinding anyone:

The only thing about using the stock projector/lens is that it won't be as even light coverage (brightness) across the entire area, compared to oem.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:39 PM

2010 White C300 Sport
Originally Posted by jctevere
I'm pretty happy with my light cut-off using the stock housing. I have the slim digital ballast H7 HID 55w 8000k kit. Make sure you get the digital slim and not the cheaper raptor (I believe its called that) HID kit from DDM. Here is a picture of my beam output. I adjusted this from stock and this is why it goes up on the sides. I have extensively tested it to make sure I am not blinding anyone:

The only thing about using the stock projector/lens is that it won't be as even light coverage (brightness) across the entire area, compared to oem.
wow!!!
the light cut-off is actually pretty good!!!
thanks for the pic!! it give a better idea of how its gonna look like
i was discouraged so i didnt even put my ddm kit on~
but i guess i am gonna try it tonight!!!!

it would be great if you could post some pic on how to adjust it~
i know there's ppl discussing how to adjust the light...
but i found it hard to understand...
btw~ i have the digital slim 35w 6000k kit
Old 10-31-2010, 03:41 PM

2010 White C300 Sport
another question jctevere~
is the light output better than stock?(brightness)
i wanna upgrade to give better visions not for looks!!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by x942k6
another question jctevere~
is the light output better than stock?(brightness)
i wanna upgrade to give better visions not for looks!!

The light output is definitely better than the stock halogens. I have the 55w 8000k kit, which I think that the light output is amazing and I can see everything, but the "eveness" of light or brightness isn't the greatest, and real OEM HID Xenon lighting packages aren't as bright, but the beam is more consistent. I am very happy, and I am sure that if I got the 6000k kit the output would be unreal. Your 35w kit in 6000k is probably equivalent in lumens (brightness) to my 55w 8000k kit. I am very happy with the output.

As far as adjusting the beam on the halogen headlight projector lens. I can't take pictures at this exact moment, but I can describe to you how its done. If your standing in front of the headlight and looking down at the hood, right behind the headlight there is a little white circle you will see (very near the blue cap for the windshield washer fluid on the driver side and sort of by itself in the middle of no where on the passenger side) I think its an allen key, but I didn't have one that fit, so I just found an appropriate sized flathead screwdriver that I had that would fit and turn the white bolt-like circle. You turn the white circle one way and the lens opens up and the light moves higher on a wall (and turn it the other way and it closes and the light moves down). Each turn doesn't look like much of an increase on a wall, but a rise of 3-5" on a wall translates into a very far distance on the road. Give yourself a bit of time to make it perfect at night. Adjust both, and then drive around a bit, adjust the bolts and find the perfect setting; because you don't want to blind people, but at the same time I am just obsessed with having my headlights shine nice and bright through everything very far away.

Last edited by jctevere; 10-31-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:12 PM

2010 White C300 Sport
The light output is definitely better than the stock halogens. I have the 55w 8000k kit, which I think that the light output is amazing and I can see everything, but the "eveness" of light or brightness isn't the greatest, and real OEM HID Xenon lighting packages aren't as bright, but the beam is more consistent. I am very happy, and I am sure that if I got the 6000k kit the output would be unreal. Your 35w kit in 6000k is probably equivalent in lumens (brightness) to my 55w 8000k kit. I am very happy with the output.

As far as adjusting the beam on the halogen headlight projector lens. I can't take pictures at this exact moment, but I can describe to you how its done. If your standing in front of the headlight and looking down at the hood, right behind the headlight there is a little white circle you will see (very near the blue cap for the windshield washer fluid on the driver side and sort of by itself in the middle of no where on the passenger side) I think its an allen key, but I didn't have one that fit, so I just found an appropriate sized flathead screwdriver that I had that would fit and turn the white bolt-like circle. You turn the white circle one way and the lens opens up and the light moves higher on a wall (and turn it the other way and it closes and the light moves down). Each turn doesn't look like much of an increase on a wall, but a rise of 3-5" on a wall translates into a very far distance on the road. Give yourself a bit of time to make it perfect at night. Adjust both, and then drive around a bit, adjust the bolts and find the perfect setting; because you don't want to blind people, but at the same time I am just obsessed with having my headlights shine nice and bright through everything very far away.

thanks alot for the detailed explanation!!!!
seems like its not as hard as i thought i would be~~
i was looking at the hidplanet site today thinking of changing the projector
but i gave up after i read some threads...its too complicated!!
think the hid kit will be good enough for now
thanks again
Old 11-01-2010, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Originally Posted by Niti24

What do you guys think about this kit? It's got a tiny ballast which might be nice for our cars. Do you think this ballast would even need to be tied/velcroed down?

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=H7+....c0.m270.l1313
Old 11-01-2010, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by clkcadet
What do you guys think about this kit? It's got a tiny ballast which might be nice for our cars. Do you think this ballast would even need to be tied/velcroed down?

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=H7+....c0.m270.l1313
In that ebay link, I can't really find any good pictures of the ballasts themselves in any of the listings. But from what I have seen, these don't appear to be much, if at all, smaller than the slim digital ballasts from DDM. As far as not having to zip tie/tie down. I would not suggest just leaving it... You don't want something that can come loose in your engine compartment, or even worse, you don't want to lose it or hear rattling. The ballast from my DDM kit was very small, that all I did was use 3M double sided take and tape it onto the fender lining in the engine compartment, and tried to hide it under the frame that goes above it. It takes less than 15 seconds on each ballast to tape it down, and it just gives you the extra insurance.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
In that ebay link, I can't really find any good pictures of the ballasts themselves in any of the listings. But from what I have seen, these don't appear to be much, if at all, smaller than the slim digital ballasts from DDM. As far as not having to zip tie/tie down. I would not suggest just leaving it... You don't want something that can come loose in your engine compartment, or even worse, you don't want to lose it or hear rattling. The ballast from my DDM kit was very small, that all I did was use 3M double sided take and tape it onto the fender lining in the engine compartment, and tried to hide it under the frame that goes above it. It takes less than 15 seconds on each ballast to tape it down, and it just gives you the extra insurance.
Thanks for the advice. A few months back I bought a ddm kit (raptor) and I was just so perplexed on where to place those monstrous ballasts!

I think I will try ddm again this time with a 35w slim ballast (w 5000k bulbs so they're not too blue but going for the oem look)

I am running gp thunders now and the output is terrible. I wanted diamond visions but in all honest they are $40 on the Internet I rather spend a bit more and get a real hid kit