C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

What a night with tinted tail lights

Old 10-29-2010, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C250 Coupe
What a night with tinted tail lights

Man, so tonight I had a hassle of time with the cops. Up way early this morning so I decided to take advantage of the nice cool air here now in AZ and hit the roads...and find some food. Anyways, the first cop car had tailed me for about 5-10 miles...I Basically just kept riding on Shea, and if you know the grid system of Phoenix these roads strrrrretch. Finally the cops stopped me at what they said was the border of Scottsdale and Phoenix and started talking about how they thought my tail lights were off (I have them tinted). Yada yada, I tell them how I read up on AZ law and that as long as they are visible within 500 ft. I should be good, right? Yea, but then one of them says I needed two reflectors as well which would have been the original set-up of the red section of the tails...honestly, I didnt think of that. They then performed an inspection of front, back, and side lights (I have LEDS wired on the sides as well) and basically seemed like they knew what I had been doing, but just needed something to pin me on--they let me go though.

Drove-off and two intersections later I get pulled over by two Phoenix police trucks. Before the cop says anything I just say, "So you think my tail-lights are off, huh." Cop replies, "No, All your lights ARE off. " LOL--with the previous police messing with me I had turned them off since they were testing to see the difference. Go through another check with four cops just chatting away and looking at my car--got some questions answered out of them. Turns out, all four agreed my tail-lights were fine, visible, and one mentioned that if I slapped on a red reflector somewhere I would be fine (what the first set of cops pointed out).

Had to tell all that for future references with people tinting and for ****s n giggles, but does anyone know where I can purchase a red reflector with an adhesive that I can slap on a diffuser? Thinking about putting it on my Euroteck when it gets here (kind of like Brabus).
Old 10-29-2010, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 CDI Sport
Originally Posted by Strfry
Man, so tonight I had a hassle of time with the cops. Up way early this morning so I decided to take advantage of the nice cool air here now in AZ and hit the roads...and find some food. Anyways, the first cop car had tailed me for about 5-10 miles...I Basically just kept riding on Shea, and if you know the grid system of Phoenix these roads strrrrretch. Finally the cops stopped me at what they said was the border of Scottsdale and Phoenix and started talking about how they thought my tail lights were off (I have them tinted). Yada yada, I tell them how I read up on AZ law and that as long as they are visible within 500 ft. I should be good, right? Yea, but then one of them says I needed two reflectors as well which would have been the original set-up of the red section of the tails...honestly, I didnt think of that. They then performed an inspection of front, back, and side lights (I have LEDS wired on the sides as well) and basically seemed like they knew what I had been doing, but just needed something to pin me on--they let me go though.

Drove-off and two intersections later I get pulled over by two Phoenix police trucks. Before the cop says anything I just say, "So you think my tail-lights are off, huh." Cop replies, "No, All your lights ARE off. " LOL--with the previous police messing with me I had turned them off since they were testing to see the difference. Go through another check with four cops just chatting away and looking at my car--got some questions answered out of them. Turns out, all four agreed my tail-lights were fine, visible, and one mentioned that if I slapped on a red reflector somewhere I would be fine (what the first set of cops pointed out).

Had to tell all that for future references with people tinting and for ****s n giggles, but does anyone know where I can purchase a red reflector with an adhesive that I can slap on a diffuser? Thinking about putting it on my Euroteck when it gets here (kind of like Brabus).
Hey StrFry...what a night indeed.
But your story/experience should be one that everyone should heed.
The police clearly have a job to do and in this instance gave your car a clean bill of health...barr the reflector..Good for them.

In the UK, Im not so sure it would be quite the same.
Either way whilst any mod might look good there's always a chance that it may no be legal....;-)
Old 10-29-2010, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Good to hear that you have left enough light transmission to pass both "tests". I have seen a couple of nuts around Atlanta that have gone soooo dark you can't see much off anything even with the brakes on at night...
Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 AM

C
Try red reflector tape. It's cheap and I assume can be taken off easily
Old 10-29-2010, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 S55 (SOLD, miss it every day), 2009 GL550
doesn't seem like much of a hassle, really. The first stop was legit because you were in violation, and he pointed out the violation and let you go without a citation.

the second stop was because you were in violation, the source of which was again pointed out, and again they let you go without a citation.

sure it cost you some time, but it cost far less than a pair of citations, one of which I believe is a moving violation (no lights)

As for putting reflective tape on your diffuser, don't do it. You'll look like school bus.

now if only you could find murdered reflective tape that is black but reflects red
Old 10-29-2010, 09:14 AM

2013 C250 Coupe
Well, there is a lot of details of events and dialogue that I left out--you never know who is reading and I don't want to get on anyone's badside, he he. I would say it was odd though that the way first cop followed me and for such an extended period of time to just get me for what he said was my tail lights--it was very sketchy night, but the sum of the story is basically what reaper stated. Honestly, I have no intentions of changing my lights for the risk of being hassled until I get fine from an officer who has legitimate reasons-- that's just me.

I thought about tape, but I was thinking more along the lines of something 3-D ish, like a bicycle reflector, but bigger, and can stick, lol. I'll search the net and local stores and i'll post if I got a hold of something...might be useful down the road for others.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
Originally Posted by Strfry

Can you use black reflector tape?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
How dark are your tail lights?
Old 10-30-2010, 02:13 AM

2013 C250 Coupe
I'm sure I could use any color tape if I wanted just as long as it reflects--tape is probably the easiest...just need to figure out a design so I don't look like a bus, ha.

Heres a pic of them...they're not pinkish, more dark red in person. Like I said they're visible--I just think that the light doesnt radiate out the sides as much as a normal car (from a distance on some cars all you can see is the tail lights glowing).
Attached Thumbnails What a night with tinted tail lights-tinted-tails.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 PM

2013 C250 Coupe
So I had found some plastic, stick-on reflectors at a local Checkers but they seem..cheap...and bulky. I think it would be nice to have reflectors similiar to the 5 series BMWs and I think I would have to use reflective tape in the mean time to customize the LWH etc. I've looked at Home depot and other local auto shops and I can't seem to find any. Does anyone know of any websites that offer red/black tapes?
Attached Thumbnails What a night with tinted tail lights-2011-bmw-550i.jpg  
Old 12-01-2010, 08:14 PM

C
www.amazon.com
Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 PM

2013 C250 Coupe
Haha it's funny how Amazon never crossed my mind, thanks man.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 PM

2013 C250 Coupe
Alright, so I slapped on some reflector tape (supposed to be silver). It still doesn't sit right with me, but I got something on the car for now--I'm thinking I should have got red tape instead. Heres a pic and I really would appreciate suggestions on placement. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails What a night with tinted tail lights-img_0706.jpg