C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 4MATIC as first car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
Yeah I wouldn't ever consider a used Audi...nightmare. The C300 is a better choice, 4matic or RWD.

I agree the Sonata is pretty sweet for the price though. The 2012 Ford Focus looks to be even better.

Last edited by C300Kid; 01-08-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
...My first comment was in response to Noka's invitation in his earlier post,...
I hope it is understood that my "invitation" was intended "tongue & cheek", as I have read (and respected) several posts by Sportstick on the topic of snows/rwd vs. all-seasons/awd and just figured he would probably chime in. No harm intended and I hope it wan't misinterpreted. I really do enjoy the spirited discussions, as long as everyone remains respectful.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by noka
I hope it is understood that my "invitation" was intended "tongue & cheek", as I have read (and respected) several posts by Sportstick on the topic of snows/rwd vs. all-seasons/awd and just figured he would probably chime in. No harm intended and I hope it wan't misinterpreted. I really do enjoy the spirited discussions, as long as everyone remains respectful.
Thank you and agree completely! Never call people names, just go after issues. I am spending more time on this darn thing than in past years, so it seemed I was slow in replying, as in I actually had something else going on last night!

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-08-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by doworklax09
Hi,

I am in 11th grade and I will be getting my first car soon. What I want and am excited to get is a high miler '08 C300 4matic.

My question is are there any serious and common reliability ossues to worry about? I will be looking for one with maybe 50-90000 mile, but with good service records a carfax etc.

What do you think?
So, after everything you've read from everyone, I'm sure you have many of us curious as to what you think your plan will be.......and we haven't even started to discuss automatic vs. manual transmissions!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:10 PM

2013 BMW 528Xi; 2010 C300 SportW4 - sold; 1964 230SL
Well you seem to be relatively intelligent, hence you should be able to figure out that I want my own car.

As far as the ML, decided against it due the stories I have read on this forum about common reoccurring issues with the 98-05 MLs. Also am going to be going to a school in the south, whereas before I thought I would going to school where there would be heavy winters. Recently have I begun to consider the C300, as I wasn't a fan of driving one of the lower Mercedes, however by getting a lower model I will be able to get a newer more reliable model. The 4MATIC will be good too when I do need to drive in the snow.
I'm far from relatively intelligent, just ask my wife. Anyway, my point is, why not use one of dad's cars for college instead of worrying about purchasing and reliability regarding a C when you know what you are getting with his cars? As for going to school in the south, don't think having 4matic will save you during the freak ice storms down there, they are far more disastrous than a snowstorm, especially when you consider the lack of driving experience many people in the south have in weather like that.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Hi,

I'm sorry I haven't really responded much, I've been kind of overwhelmed with all the replies! All very good information and thank you all because it has filled me in a lot.

First, I'm gonna just say that it's gotta be a Benz. I am really not a fan of Japanese cars, nor am I really too much of Audi/BMW. At my high school A4s are as common as backpacks. There are one or two C300s, but I still like the car. Not only have I grown up with Mercedes in my life (servicing, first car I drove/drive) and feel at home with them, but I love everything about them. I love their style, refinement, history, the wide range models they offer, past models (1920s-00s) etc. I truly think no other car is as refined and easy to use yet so advanced as Merc. If you look at the interior of the A4, there seems to be buttons everywhere, whereas in the C it all seems to be perfectly placed and layed out. Then again that could be just because I am so familiar with Mercs, I don't know. Reliability wise, there were some tough times (00-06), but it's nice to see they're back on track. And of course I love the image, but unlike most Merc drivers that's not my only reason for driving one. So anyway, it's gotta be a Merc. I think finally I have found the right one too.

As far as 4MATIC vs RWD, I really don't know now. At first I was sure about 4matic, but the debate has definitely made me consider rwd. When my father bought the 550, even as a everyday NY driver, he said no way to the 4matic because of how bad it affected the mpg, but in my situation he has voted for 4matic as he wants me to have top control on the road. So I don't know. Does 4matic really affect the driving characteristics? I mean is the car still fun to drive at all? The only thing about the snow tires is the only time in my college years that I will be driving in snow would be when I come home for vacation, and so I do not see my self popping on different tires for the vacation and then putting the regs back on for the trip back down. Also we have a place in upstate NY where we go a lot in the winter, there is always snow there. And there is still a small chance I may be staying home for college, I'm still in 11th grade. And it's funny I hear you mention mus, I am just learning that in physics, all about calculating coeffs of friction, net force, force of fric and all that crap...

I have a feeling though that as much as I want a sportier driving car, I may end up with 4matic...

And it's definitely gonna be a automatic. I understand that manual is more pure and fun, but I am gonna be doing a lot of driving in the open south and kinda just want something easy for my first car.

Thanks for all your responses guys.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:24 PM

2008 W204
Oh and I figured I'd mention color wise it will be iridium, palladium or steel gray with black interior. Probably will get what ever color is on the best car I can find, nothing else.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:29 PM

2008 W204
You'll get less heat from new classmates than if you show up in a Benz and will not be able to help but look "over-privileged"...not a great way to make new friends.
And as far as this, I kind of think having a Benz will just get me laid quicker...ahaha just kidding...kind of...
Old 01-08-2011, 08:36 PM

And as far as this, I kind of think having a Benz will just get me laid quicker...ahaha just kidding...kind of...
now that's funny, I like this kid...kind of
Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So anyway, it's gotta be a Merc. I think finally I have found the right one too.
Smart decision. I'm a little older than you (college) but I can still relate. I think the C300 is the perfect car for young people. It's relatively entertaining to drive while being safe/reliable/etc.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:46 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by jctevere
I have two 4 matic c-classes in the family and they do just fine in the snow. I don't believe people when they say rwd are just fine in the snow. My fathers SL500 can't get out of the driveway, nor the two mustangs I had prior. Either they have never driven in a all wheel drive during the snow or they are being nieve. I can't imagine snow tires doing much of a difference.
Don't just assume. My C350 was AWFUL in the snow with stock tires. God awful, as in I thought about trading it in for something else. This November I purchased Dunlop WinterSport 3D snow tires and the difference is night and day. It literally feels like driving a different car. I have to try to lose traction now when there's snow on the ground.

IMO, 2WD w/ snow tires > AWD with all-season tires.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
My sorry goes out to sportstick. I am sorry I got a little out of hand and probably said some things I shouldn't have said. I always read what you have to say and find it very informative, I would hate to burn my bridges. I guess its because I have never really been challenged much in my life with my opinions, and I simply hate to be told I'm wrong.

I guess we should just agree on the fact that we disagree on the topic. Haha.

At the OP. Of course any rwd car will feel lighter and more nimble on the steering. But I like the harder feel on the wheel, makes the car feel more solid. Coming from my Inifiniti, I sometimes had to battle that steering wheel to get it to turn. This is just hard enough to give that solid feel like driving on rails, but lightens up when you drive more aggressive.

The 4matic even in my opinion takes corners much better, I love taking them fast. If you get your license and live near me, feel free to take mine out for a spin for a more "weathered" c-class instead of a brand new feel to see how the used ones might stack up. I really didn't find much of a difference at all, and the mpg is only 1 less 17/25 compared to 18/26...

Whichever one you choose its a great car.

I am legitimately surprised to see Audi scoring so low on the reliability ratings lately. All the ones my friends have had are very reliable. I guess it goes to show that you really never know. I tried poking around if this was just isolated to the 2010 models, or if the earlier 2006-2009 ones also had this same outcome...
Old 01-08-2011, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jctevere
My sorry goes out to sportstick. I am sorry I got a little out of hand and probably said some things I shouldn't have said. I always read what you have to say and find it very informative, I would hate to burn my bridges. I guess its because I have never really been challenged much in my life with my opinions, and I simply hate to be told I'm wrong.

I guess we should just agree on the fact that we disagree on the topic. Haha.

At the OP. Of course any rwd car will feel lighter and more nimble on the steering. But I like the harder feel on the wheel, makes the car feel more solid. Coming from my Inifiniti, I sometimes had to battle that steering wheel to get it to turn. This is just hard enough to give that solid feel like driving on rails, but lightens up when you drive more aggressive.

The 4matic even in my opinion takes corners much better, I love taking them fast. If you get your license and live near me, feel free to take mine out for a spin for a more "weathered" c-class instead of a brand new feel to see how the used ones might stack up. I really didn't find much of a difference at all, and the mpg is only 1 less 17/25 compared to 18/26...

Whichever one you choose its a great car.

I am legitimately surprised to see Audi scoring so low on the reliability ratings lately. All the ones my friends have had are very reliable. I guess it goes to show that you really never know. I tried poking around if this was just isolated to the 2010 models, or if the earlier 2006-2009 ones also had this same outcome...

It was an interesting and challenging dialogue...as long as we stay nice to each other, nothing wrong with strong disagreement. The sad news on the TV all day shows we all do need to be able to disagree without being disagreeable. Thanks for the follow-up.

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-08-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
When my father bought the 550, even as a everyday NY driver, he said no way to the 4matic because of how bad it affected the mpg, but in my situation he has voted for 4matic as he wants me to have top control on the road.
I find it difficult to believe that anyone who purchases an S550 is so concerned about MPG, not to mention that the difference between RWD and 4Matic is minimal.

Last edited by noka; 01-09-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by noka
I find it difficult to believe that anyone who purchases an S550 is so concerned about MPG.
You'd be surprised lol
Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Hi,

I'm sorry I haven't really responded much, I've been kind of overwhelmed with all the replies! All very good information and thank you all because it has filled me in a lot.

.....So I don't know. Does 4matic really affect the driving characteristics? I mean is the car still fun to drive at all? ....I have a feeling though that as much as I want a sportier driving car, I may end up with 4matic...

And it's definitely gonna be a automatic. I understand that manual is more pure and fun, but I am gonna be doing a lot of driving in the open south and kinda just want something easy for my first car.

Thanks for all your responses guys.
Glad we could provide enough information to make your cup runneth over!!

OK, last bits of advice:

1) Don't go anywhere near a rwd, especially a stick, so you won't be spoiled before getting into an automatic 4MATIC!
2) For any girl for whom your brand of car would make that difference, you better be covered from head to toe with protection!!

P.S. And check out the first page of the Business section of today's NYTimes!

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-09-2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Add NYTimes reference for anyone considering law school.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:56 AM

Glad we could provide enough information to make your cup runneth over!!

OK, last bits of advice:

1) Don't go anywhere near a rwd, especially a stick, so you won't be spoiled before getting into an automatic 4MATIC!
2) For any girl for whom your brand of car would make that difference, you better be covered from head to toe with protection!!

P.S. And check out the first page of the Business section of today's NYTimes!
Which article? I personally found the article about law school being a losing game quite funny...Just a little attorney humor about how worthless all the classes I was forced to take.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by TaxEsq
Which article? I personally found the article about law school being a losing game quite funny...Just a little attorney humor about how worthless all the classes I was forced to take.
Yep, that's the (lengthy!) one...OP said he was law school-bound. When I went way back when, SUNY did not cost anything close to current rates. Worth a read for undergraduates hoping to still afford an MB after grad school, maybe even a new one!
Old 01-09-2011, 03:24 PM

Yep, that's the (lengthy!) one...OP said he was law school-bound. When I went way back when, SUNY did not cost anything close to current rates. Worth a read for undergraduates hoping to still afford an MB after grad school, maybe even a new one!
Poor kid, maybe we can talk him out of it...not the Benz, of course.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:25 PM

'09 C300 4matic
I figure I would throw in my two cents having just come in from the snow and driving a 4matic. The roads haven't really been plowed yet in some areas and there is about 1-2 inches of snow on the ground where I am in Colorado, and the car started slipping. I wasn't driving it particularly aggressively, I was just taking a turn and the car was about 45 degrees to away from the direction I wanted to go before I got back enough traction to correct.

I think that 4matic is great in weather other than snow...cornering is great. That having been said though, I am not sure how much better my experience would have been with snow tires (I'm still using the OEM ContiProContact tires). If you are going to be driving in the south, how much snow are you really going to encounter. With a light covering of snow on the road, the car performs just as well as it does in any other weather. Once you start piling on the inches it is my view point that nothing can really help you except for your ability to drive...

Just my thoughts.

[EDIT] Maybe you should actually chalk my experience up to ridiculous driving conditions, because there are some cars that are simply stuck on the road right now, unable to get enough traction to move. Maybe it is ice...

Last edited by Thanatos504; 01-09-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
Sportstick / jctevere,

Wow - what a great topic ! Thanks for providing both sides of the debate. I have often wondered which is better, 4matic with all season tires or RWD with winter tires.

I think you both brought up some valid points, but I still question which is best.

Regardless, thanks for the dialog - very informative !

Nick

PS - I will agree on the poor reliability of the Audi A4. Our 2005 has been in the shop many times over the past two years for a variety of issues. We will be trading it in this summer when the CPO warranty is up.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by NickCats
Sportstick / jctevere,

Wow - what a great topic ! Thanks for providing both sides of the debate. I have often wondered which is better, 4matic with all season tires or RWD with winter tires.

I think you both brought up some valid points, but I still question which is best.

Regardless, thanks for the dialog - very informative !

Nick

PS - I will agree on the poor reliability of the Audi A4. Our 2005 has been in the shop many times over the past two years for a variety of issues. We will be trading it in this summer when the CPO warranty is up.
My friends and I have done side-by-side comparisons. What we've experienced is, RWD cars with dedicated winter tires (and traction control) are preferred. They enable you to move faster, stop quicker and just plain grip the ice and snow way better than 4matics, 4x4s, AWDs and FWDs with all-season tires. On cold dry pavement the winter tires are sticky, but squirmy and louder. The all-season tires get too hard in extremely cold conditons. They are more comfortable at higher speeds when temps are a bit above freezing though. They work, but inspire less confidence in the snow and ice. In my experience, snow 12" and above, makes the W204 just sit there with a dumb look on it's face. 4matic or RWD.

You are right. Good arguments were made by both sides. You can only know what is best for you if you test both.

For what it's worth, I am impressed with all of the comments by everyone in this thread.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Derspeed

For what it's worth, I am impressed with all of the comments by everyone in this thread.
Thanks, we all did well....but, even this one??:

"2) For any girl for whom your brand of car would make that difference, you better be covered from head to toe with protection!!"

Old 01-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Thanks, we all did well....but, even this one??:

"2) For any girl for whom your brand of car would make that difference, you better be covered from head to toe with protection!!"

My personal favorite from this thread as well...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C300 4MATIC as first car?