C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP PLEASEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -_-

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 c300 sport
Exclamation !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP PLEASEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -_-

Hey guys, I just wanted some input on this situation I'm stuck in..

So lately a light on my dashboard has been coming on saying "front left passenger airbag disabled" and I brought it into MB to check it out. Guy just told me today that it's due to a "seatbelt buckle malfunction." Does this make sense to anyone?!

He said it's a faulty buckle and they need to order the new part and because my SRS light is on, my airbag won't deploy if I get into an accident. So for all this they are charging me a lovely $450. Sweet

If anyone can gimme their thoughts on this, I'd appreciate it cause I honestly think that if it's not an airbag problem; just fualty electronics (somehow), I might try to just tough it out for now and deal with that annoying warning. Either that or try bringing it somewhere else to fix. This just really makes no sense to me..

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Last edited by EASYDOES1T; 01-27-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: title change :P
Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Just so we can rule it out....when this light came on, were you driving, or parked or whatever with engine on.... and had something heavy sitting on passenger seat and removed it without opening the passenger door?
Old 01-27-2011, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by EASYDOES1T
Hey guys, I just wanted some input on this situation I'm stuck in..

So lately a light on my dashboard has been coming on saying "front left passenger airbag disabled" and I brought it into MB to check it out. Guy just told me today that it's due to a "seatbelt buckle malfunction." Does this make sense to anyone?!

He said it's a faulty buckle and they need to order the new part and because my SRS light is on, my airbag won't deploy if I get into an accident. So for all this they are charging me a lovely $450. Sweet

If anyone can gimme their thoughts on this, I'd appreciate it cause I honestly think that if it's not an airbag problem; just fualty electronics (somehow), I might try to just tough it out for now and deal with that annoying warning. Either that or try bringing it somewhere else to fix. This just really makes no sense to me..

Thanks and sorry for the long post!
I've seen the same warning because my wife has this habit of pushing her feet into the footwell floor very firmly to flex her legs, effectively lifting her weight off the passenger seat. However, my warning does not include the word, "left". The common factor here is that the vehicle, rightly or wrongly, is sensing that the passenger is out of position (which includes the consequence of being unbelted), and therefore, the airbag's risk/benefit relationship may be unfavorable. So, it decides it will not deploy the passenger airbag and risk additional injuries to the passenger. This should have no effect on the driver airbag. If you are able to use your rear seat for passengers, you can go awhile. However, if I had to carry someone in the right front seat, this would be a VERY HIGH PRIORITY repair for me.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:20 PM

'08 c300 sport
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
Just so we can rule it out....when this light came on, were you driving, or parked or whatever with engine on.... and had something heavy sitting on passenger seat and removed it without opening the passenger door?
It's been on for almost a week before I brought it in. I never put anything heavy in the front seat cause if I do have something heavy, I'll usually just drive my dads car or something. It's on 24/7 whether I'm driving or parked or anything else. It gets irritating looking at it constantly and having to always press the "ok" button on the steering wheel and then have it go away for 30 seconds only to come back again.. They said it was driver's side airbag too so I dunno
Old 01-27-2011, 05:22 PM

'08 c300 sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I've seen the same warning because my wife has this habit of pushing her feet into the footwell floor very firmly to flex her legs, effectively lifting her weight off the passenger seat. However, my warning does not include the word, "left". The common factor here is that the vehicle, rightly or wrongly, is sensing that the passenger is out of position (which includes the consequence of being unbelted), and therefore, the airbag's risk/benefit relationship may be unfavorable. So, it decides it will not deploy the passenger airbag and risk additional injuries to the passenger. This should have no effect on the driver airbag. If you are able to use your rear seat for passengers, you can go awhile. However, if I had to carry someone in the right front seat, this would be a VERY HIGH PRIORITY repair for me.
Yeah it's definitely a high priority to me to fix it if it will affect any of the airbags. You think that if someone sits in a awkward position it can throw off the sensors? If that was the case, I dunno because I sit the same way whenever I drive lol. I don't even want to drive anyone cause I'm not trying to have anyone get hurt god forbid I get into an accident and the airbag is all screwed up
Old 01-27-2011, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
It's been on for almost a week before I brought it in. I never put anything heavy in the front seat cause if I do have something heavy, I'll usually just drive my dads car or something. It's on 24/7 whether I'm driving or parked or anything else. It gets irritating looking at it constantly and having to always press the "ok" button on the steering wheel and then have it go away for 30 seconds only to come back again.. They said it was driver's side airbag too so I dunno
My prior comments only apply to the message for the front passenger warning. If you have been told this affects the driver air bag, you may as well drop it off at the dealer tonight. STOP DRIVING IT until this is fixed.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C204
The warranty doesn't cover these malfunctions?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:56 PM

'08 c300 sport
Originally Posted by alexlev
The warranty doesn't cover these malfunctions?
My 50k warranty just went up like 1000 miles ago
Old 01-27-2011, 07:47 PM

2008 C350
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I get this too but not because my wife pushes her legs into the floorboard, but more because she weighs like a feather. Usually have to get her to centralize her weight a bit more and not slouch and the light will go off.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I'm confused about the "front left" issue. Passenger airbags are in front, off to the right side in the door or on top by the door/roof.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
I'm confused about the "front left" issue. Passenger airbags are in front, off to the right side in the door or on top by the door/roof.
Speculation: This may be one of those language usage issues. Passengers and occupants may be synonymous for MB, one in the front right, who drives in some English speaking countries, and one in the front left, who drives in other English speaking countries. But, one software program covers all contingencies!
Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 PM

'08 c300 sport
Here's a picture I took with my cellphone. That's what it constantly says and they blame the seatbelt buckle
Attached Thumbnails !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HELP PLEASEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -_--mbworld.jpg  
Old 01-27-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Yes, that is the driver airbag. I would definitely get it checked. The dealer would know best. They can plug in and check the error codes. I don't think that they have any other sensors besides the seat belt for the front driver. Perhaps maybe a clip on the door has gone bad? At any rate, if you get it done at the dealer and you pay and the problem still exists, they should refund you and/or fix it for free.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Here's a picture I took with my cellphone. That's what it constantly says and they blame the seatbelt buckle
OK, forget my last post! It doesn't say "passenger". But, get it fixed tomorrow! And, stop taking photos at 60mph!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 AM

'08 c300 sport
LOL thanks guys for all the help. It's actually been at the dealer the past two days -_- and they gave me a fresh white c350 to play with

I told them by tomorrow I'll have an answer so since it seems like this isn't a small issue, guess I'm gonna be paying that $450 blehhhhhalhefouawhfelkadjfwaef
Old 02-28-2011, 04:23 AM

c200k se
funny enough ive just had to replace my drivers seat buckle and i now have a airbag malfunction error....i think mine is due to having simply disconnected the drivers seat harness. ill get it reset from an independent garage at some point i think.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:46 AM

2008 C350 Sport / SAKs Ed.
My 50k warranty just went up like 1000 miles ago

Being that close to the 50k mark,im willing to bet that MB would be willing to cover it as an out of warranty "Good Will" repair. The manufactor has the ability to do so within a certain window from expiration.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C300 09' (GONE) W205 C63S Edition 1 Estate
The exact same thing happened to me, at about 25000 miles, i still had warranty so they replaced the seat. after it got replaced it never showed up again
Old 02-21-2023, 10:48 AM

2016 MercedesBenz C300 4matic
Need help too

Originally Posted by AZN Optics
This exact thing happened to me I put some groceries in the passenger seat then the light came on. What does this mean for me?
Old 02-21-2023, 02:39 PM

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts
2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
This happened once on my 2004 Acura MDX, except no detailed message - just the plain 'ol airbarg light flashing. Turned out to be a seatbelt buckle in the rear bench seat. However Acura has a lifetime warranty on seatbelt components, which they covered it under.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,184 Likes on 911 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500, 2004 Audi TT225
The seat belt latch has a sensor in it when the buckle tab is inserted. A tiny wire will break and cause the error. Check YouTube on how to replace the unit. Check here to get started. The process is generally the same.