C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

X Pipe Installed - Detailed Post Analysis and Common Questions Answered

Old 01-31-2011, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 4MATIC
X Pipe Installed - Detailed Post Analysis and Common Questions Answered

So I just had my x-pipe installed on a C300 4MATIC (automatic transmission). Cost me $150 for parts and labour. Stainless steel and not the Magnaflow part.

I've done a lot of searching of posts and decided to be more comprehensive here:

SOUND:

A - No detectable change from stock
B - Small change but only if you are listening for the sound
C - Noticeable to even the untrained ear
D - Significant change and obtrusive and annoying

1. Idle with windows up = A
2. Smooth acceleration (never exceed 3000 rpm) from stop with windows up = B
3. Aggressive acceleration (3000 rpm to 5000 rpm) from stop with windows up = B to C.
4. Smooth acceleration (never exceed 3000 rpm) from stop with windows down = B to C.
5. Aggressive acceleration (3000 rpm to 5000 rpm) from stop with windows down = C.
6. Cruising on the highway = A to B.
7. Driving in manual shift mode and keeping higher rpm (3000+ rpm) = C.
8. Engine Start (warm or cold) = A.

In all situations, it is never even close to D, windows up or down. There is no drone in any driving situation or shifting mode. In either E or S mode in automatic, there's not much difference in regular driving. If you take it easy all the time, you could probably drive for years and just forget the x-pipe is installed. If you have a critical Wife, she would never know and if you're constantly driving hard enough to bring out the volume, she will probably have other complaints beyond the sound. If you turn the stereo on at a mild level with the windows up, you can barely hear any real difference in regular easy driving.

PERFORMANCE:

Initial impressions are absolutely no change (I cannot comment on any ECU adjustment over 2 weeks that I've read about). I can't tell if there's a decrease or increase in acceleration and if there is, it is imperceptiable to the human senses. I took a close look inside the cut out resonator and it is essentially connected like a flat double helix (not sure if that's the best description). From the poor diagram below: it is dual inlet, then opens up inside to merge both pipes and then two outlets. The internal core is perforated to channel the exhaust and reduce the sound. There is a merge point inside the internal resonator (the circle in the diagram). I understand the exhaust scavenging and the smoother flow of the x-pipe but don't expect any measurable gains over the stock resonator. I'm going to guess that a dyno would yield a few hp (at most) at higher rpm.

Also, the original resonator is not a huge hulking mass so there is weight savings compared to a notebook computer bag or something being removed from the trunk.

FINAL VERDICT: DO IT

For the cost and audible enjoyment, it's a simple decision to get this done. It's cheap and has no negative sound. You could drive for the entire duration of car ownership and not really know it's installed. Please don't get this installed if you are searching for any major performance improvement. I kept the original resonator and it can easily be put back.

The work included the extension pipes to make up the shorter length of the x-pipe from the original resonator.

It is -15 celsius ( -5 fahrenheit) in Toronto today. Hope this helps some people who are searching around for more answers or going through the other archived threads.

Last edited by Distinct; 01-31-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
this is a great write up, im about to do this mod so this was very helpful, thanks a lot!!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:52 PM

Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
How many times this needs to be covered in forums...

(There's your D answer)
Old 01-31-2011, 04:09 PM

2011 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by myinternetsucks
Sorry for offending you. Not trying to cause any problems. Just trying to be helpful.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:25 PM

2009 Arctic White/Black C350 with NAV pkg, ipod integration, 40% HO tint, and 18" 5-spoke AMG wheels
Originally Posted by myinternetsucks

(There's your D answer)

I found this to be helpful and there's no need to be a D about someone trying to help others out. Appreciate the post.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
this was by far the best write up about the x-pipe mod, once again thanks. let the haters hate lol
Old 01-31-2011, 10:58 PM

c300
i actually hear a lot of noise from inside the cabin at 50mph and it gets even loud as i accelerate. It's a really annoying noise that was not there the first two months. Anyone know what it could be, it loud enough to pop your ears.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:31 AM

W204 C280
Distinct, I really appreciate your post as I'm also considering getting an X-pipe. Very helpful! keep it up!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Hope this write up helps all the new members.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:58 PM

C300
I had the mod done today, and completely agree with the assessment ... I'm also in Toronto fwiw
Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 PM

'09 C350 4M, '11 Sienna SE, '84 VW Jetta GLi
I would like to add that this is the case with a c300.........

Here's my assessment for my C350 with the Magnaflow X-Pipe.......

1. Idle with windows up = B
2. Smooth acceleration (never exceed 3000 rpm) from stop with windows up = B to C
3. Aggressive acceleration (3000 rpm to 5000 rpm) from stop with windows up = C
4. Smooth acceleration (never exceed 3000 rpm) from stop with windows down = C
5. Aggressive acceleration (3000 rpm to 5000 rpm) from stop with windows down = C
6. Cruising on the highway = B to C
7. Driving in manual shift mode and keeping higher rpm (3000+ rpm) = C
8. Engine Start (warm or cold) = B+ on Warm and C on Cold.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by popp
I would like to add that this is the case with a c300.........

Here's my assessment for my C350 with the Magnaflow X-Pipe.......

1. Idle with windows up = B
2. Smooth acceleration (never exceed 3000 rpm) from stop with windows up = B to C
3. Aggressive acceleration (3000 rpm to 5000 rpm) from stop with windows up = C
4. Smooth acceleration (never exceed 3000 rpm) from stop with windows down = C
5. Aggressive acceleration (3000 rpm to 5000 rpm) from stop with windows down = C
6. Cruising on the highway = B to C
7. Driving in manual shift mode and keeping higher rpm (3000+ rpm) = C
8. Engine Start (warm or cold) = B+ on Warm and C on Cold.

I have a C350 and I agree with you.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W204
just had the xpipe installed, and i must say its nice ........on to the next mod......
Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 AM

X-Pipe Installed

Originally Posted by caligreenzzz
just had the xpipe installed, and i must say its nice ........on to the next mod......
+1 on that, had mine done too at my local meinke shop cost me a haggling of $169 including all taxes, extra extenders and labor (cost $25 per weld here). As its probably not the best welding job i've seen, but sounds awesone as i just recently took my car into the benz dealer for a tire replacement (got a flat), the porter said it sounded like a C63, made my day...
Attached Thumbnails X Pipe Installed - Detailed Post Analysis and Common Questions Answered-x-pipe_installed.jpg  
Old 06-11-2012, 07:46 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Hey man thanks for the informative post, really got me thinking of adding the x-pipe to my car.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by valib24
i actually hear a lot of noise from inside the cabin at 50mph and it gets even loud as i accelerate. It's a really annoying noise that was not there the first two months. Anyone know what it could be, it loud enough to pop your ears.
Sounds like you have a cracked weld or a loose clamp joint. I would take it back and let the exhaut shop take a look as it shouldn't be that noticeable.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by savi01
Hey man thanks for the informative post, really got me thinking of adding the x-pipe to my car.
You should, its nice to hear that sound when taking off or accelerating to 4000-5000 rpms. The best part is at least with mine inside the parking garage's like the Metro garage it sounds like a freaking motorcycle, gets everybody's head to turn around

I did have them take off the resonator's as this is the only way get the x-pipe on. If you look at my pic, you will notice that i did not have them take off the clamps the meinke mechanic showed me what he was going to do before doing the work and gave his opinion and said this was the better setup for future mods to the exhaust or replacement before the resonator's.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:01 PM

2008 C300 Sport
I know some people have issues with the road noise and have gone as far as putting sound dampening material in the trunk where the spare tire is. Have you done that or is it all stock? I'd love to have that more aggressive sound, stock is way to quiet for me, but I just don't want an annoying drone at cruising speeds.

Also, if anyone can answer this; any change on the MPG after doing such a mod? I understand if I take off from stops to hear the sound it's going to go down, but if I were to say drive the way I do now (not so aggressive accelerations and no lead foot on the highway) would there be a difference?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by savi01
I know some people have issues with the road noise and have gone as far as putting sound dampening material in the trunk where the spare tire is. Have you done that or is it all stock? I'd love to have that more aggressive sound, stock is way to quiet for me, but I just don't want an annoying drone at cruising speeds.

Also, if anyone can answer this; any change on the MPG after doing such a mod? I understand if I take off from stops to hear the sound it's going to go down, but if I were to say drive the way I do now (not so aggressive accelerations and no lead foot on the highway) would there be a difference?
Hey whats up, to answer your question about the road noise. For me when my windows are rolled up i barely hear a thing, sounds like when another car has that kind of exhaust and you hear it that far. I didn't put any trunk dampening as it didn't need it.

Everything else so far is stock in terms of the exhaust portion or ECU, which my next future mod will be the EuroCharged tune. I did put in drop in air filters by Green, only seemed to make a barely noticeable change if any to my mpg or hp wise. With the X-pipe mod, if your gonna keep on driving the same way then no it shouldn't change at all. But i will give you a warning, in this honeymoon stage; i cannot stop from revving or taking off just to hear that exhaust, haha

I hope this answered your questions, i would love to also add the Meistershaft exhaust later on but its not a cheap mod. I also added the taillight overlays and side marker covers from a local shop and cost me a total of $120 out the door. I will add the link so you can check them out.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-opinions.html

Peace.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
hey Brian check out how mine was installed, they put the pipe extenders on the opposite end... do you think it makes a difference which side you put the extenders on?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-car-pics.html

As compared to your installation:

Old 10-09-2012, 08:29 AM

2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by rb23lb
hey Brian check out how mine was installed, they put the pipe extenders on the opposite end... do you think it makes a difference which side you put the extenders on?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-car-pics.html

As compared to your installation:

Honestly,
I dont think that it makes a difference in sound quality wise, have you checked out my sound clips and maybe you can compare it to see if it does. Also as far as performance zippo difference in either set up.