C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bad drive home from the airport...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Bad drive home from the airport...

I was on I85, doing about 70 mph coming through downtown Atlanta a couple weeks ago. There was a light rain but the roads were pretty clear although there was a lot of snow/ice piled along the edges, parking lots, etc. Anyhow, I was passing under an overpass when I noticed for an instant what I thought was a bit of water/slush falling from an overpass. It ran right through it and it was pretty loud…scared the crap out of me. I was worried it may have done a little damage and decided to pull off at the next exit to check it out.
Unfortunately, it turned out that some stupid piece of $h!t had decided it would be funny to dump a bucket full of road sand/gravel off the overpass onto my car. I called 911 to report and was surprised to find that APD didn’t really seem to care that people were throwing stuff off the overpass. Their attitude was basically since I “left the scene” there was nothing they could do. Since we had so many fender benders during the snow/ice, they set up a self accident reporting form online. They said just fill one of those out?? Seriously, what the he!! kind of police presence is that???? Anyhow, I find out that tossing things off the overpasses is a favorite pastime just south of downtown and it seems our wonderful APD tries to avoid admitting it unless it actually causes a wreck, kills someone, etc. (guess they are trying to keep the statistics looking better than they really are) I am completely disgusted with the scum in this town…uniformed or otherwise.
Anyhow, I have a good bit of damage but nothing really terrible. I have several pits in the windshield and a couple in the sunroof but no real potential crack inducing marks. I have about 30 paint chips on front bumper, hood, fender roof and even rear quarter panel (on the shoulder) but no dents or even bad gouges. I have a cracked signal on my passenger mirror. I am sure repainting and replacing everything would run into thousands of dollars so my $1000 deductable would be easily met. My real dilemma is, should I touch up the marks myself in order to keep the factory finish and windshield, not to mention save almost $1000 or take a chance on a non factory paint job(matching and durability issues) and replacing the windshield(potential for leaks/squeaks). I am pretty good a touching up paint (3000 grit paper, etc, etc) but would always know all those little spots are there no matter how well they are repaired.
Not sure what to do so I thought I would see what you guys think.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
There are people out there who find satisfaction by inflicting havoc to fellow men There was an incident several years back when I was still living in Maryland where kids fire their BB guns at motorist's windows while their driving in freeways

That incident could have easily resulted to an accident if the driver was caught off guard... Good thing you came out alright

How about touching it up with Dr. Color chip? color match is spot on with factory paint
Old 02-07-2011, 10:57 PM

'08 c300 sport
First off, I wanna say WTF.. Some people need to grow up. God forbid something happened and you got into an accident (knock on wood) than I'm sure this ***** won't be happening anymore cause these idiots would be put behind bars or even better, get their asses beat by someone who saw them do it. And it sounds like your cops are unreliable and should probably show a little more concern especially when this ***** eventually bites them in the *** and someone actually gets hurt. Then they can worry about their dumb statistics.

And about your car, for me I would bring it to a reputable shop to repaint since I can't touch up stuff and I feel like you'll never be able to get it perfect again.. But it's up to you. There are also a lot of good windshield shops that you can find. Both my sister and my dad replaced their windshields with ones other than OEM and its been perfectly fine. I guess just be cautious where you get it done. Good luck with everything and let's all just hope whoever did this suffers some karma :P
Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Many years (early 90's) ago I drove an Isuzu and it had an aftermarket glass sunroof. I had just been laid off from the job I had (last hired first fired) and was in a real bad mood. So driving home at around 70 I saw some kids on bikes at the overpass, then I saw the brick to late to do anything it crashed right through the sunroof fortunatly for me it was on the passanger side but it had hit so hard it had bent the seats frame. Pulled over and sat on the shoulder for about 10 minutes shaking. I had to drive to a pay phone (cels were not common) and waited for the Police who of course could not do anything because the kids were long gone and they had been to far away to give any meaningful description.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Punks. I am glad you're okay.

One day when I was younger, riding in my dad's car, we witnessed kids throwing rocks from an overpass. My dad quickly drove up the the side of the overpass on a weird little gravel access road. When we reached the little perps there was so much noise and dust from the gravel, they froze in fear. We sat there laughing at them until they regained their composure and ran off to their hovels.

Some day the jerk-off that did this to you will get what he has coming. Unless life already got him.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:28 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Originally Posted by Derspeed

Some day the jerk-off that did this to you will get what he has coming. Unless life already got him.
It's called .... KARMA ! This in life will happen ...... more than likely you won't be there to witness " their KARMA " but truust me it will happen in one shape or form. Aside from being shaken up ... at least you're okay !
Old 02-08-2011, 06:42 PM

2012 C350 coupe
Glad to hear that you are alright, those punks will get whats coming to them when its their time!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Thanks guys. I was completely pissed and ready to kill someone for a few days, then bummed for a week or so and now pretty well getting over things. Hopefully Karma will indeed visit them soon.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:08 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by C300Sport
I was on I85, doing about 70 mph coming through downtown Atlanta a couple weeks ago.......
My real dilemma is, should I touch up the marks myself in order to keep the factory finish and windshield, not to mention save almost $1000 or take a chance on a non factory paint job(matching and durability issues) and replacing the windshield(potential for leaks/squeaks). I am pretty good a touching up paint (3000 grit paper, etc, etc) but would always know all those little spots are there no matter how well they are repaired.
Not sure what to do so I thought I would see what you guys think.
I've never heard of comprehensive deductible that high. Which means you will always have to pay for windshields.

You can't repair this yourself and if you try to, it will be visible and the car will lose a lot of value. Would you buy a car that had spots all over it when there are so many perfect cars around? Also, forget about a trade-in and if this is a lease car, you are obligated to fix it.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RLE
I've never heard of comprehensive deductible that high. Which means you will always have to pay for windshields.

You can't repair this yourself and if you try to, it will be visible and the car will lose a lot of value. Would you buy a car that had spots all over it when there are so many perfect cars around? Also, forget about a trade-in and if this is a lease car, you are obligated to fix it.
In GA, the glass has no deductable. I guess I have been luck in my almost 25years of driving and never needed to use (my own) insurance, so the high deductable seemed like a good idea...I pay about $750 year with 1K vs $975 with $500...oh well. I will probably start looking at body shops once I get my car back with my new transmission and solid front end...
Old 02-09-2011, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by C300Sport
In GA, the glass has no deductable. I guess I have been luck in my almost 25years of driving and never needed to use (my own) insurance, so the high deductable seemed like a good idea...I pay about $750 year with 1K vs $975 with $500...oh well. I will probably start looking at body shops once I get my car back with my new transmission and solid front end...
I'm not sure about GA, but in NY, they offer high deductibles with glass coverage for only a few bucks more a month. You might want to look into that.