C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New Grille Pics/Install Tidbits

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport 6MT
New Grille Pics/Install Tidbits

Grille's been on for a week now and I'm definitely satisfied w/ the upgrade, including keeping the Star chrome vs black.
A few pics below, including some helpful hints w/ the radiator cover. Not going to go over every install step since the pdf "Binder Grille Removal" from a previous thread spells it all out. The T-bar and removal of the stock grille is pretty straight forward. These steps are after you disconnect the air intakes from the cover...

Pic 1: Disconnect the hose/cable from the holder in the top red circle. Twist the compression fastener in the lower cicle.

Pics 2 and 3: This is the hardest part of the whole process. The top circle is what basically holds the cover in place (one on each side). First disconnect the hose/cable just like you did in the middle section. Then to unsnap, you must use a motion as if you were opening a flip tab on a soda/beer can. Push down with your thumb and pull back with your other fingers. As others have warned, if it's cold out, you might want to warn the engine up first to avoid breaking the lower tab. Once it snaps loose, push down on the lower circled area and slide the cover towards you. A flathead screwdriver is handy here. Repeat for the right side.

Last pics to show fitment and overall look.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
very nice grill makes the car look goood
Old 02-14-2011, 03:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
What grille is it?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
That looks really nice. I like the gloss black with the chrome star
Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Doanster,

I've appreciated your comments in the past, but must admit to some confusion with your advice. When I swapped out my grille, I turned and loosened the part in the lower red circle, pressed in on the bottom of the OE grille to loosen the clips, and then rotated and lifted the grille, releasing the two posts, one at each edge of the grille frame. I never got involved with the larger cover part. Has the design changed to require the additional steps you show?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Looks good. BTW I never had to do anything wth the radiator cover and I have had 5 different grills on my car.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Yeah, on my 2009 and my sister's 2011 c300 I never did anything like that... You guys are making me start to worry that I might have broken something, haha. I might double check. But all I did was just open hood, unscrew that middle screw, and push in the bottom of the grill to release clasps. Then just unclip the two clips behind the grille in the center and pull up.

Was this not correct? Did I miss something?

BTW, when I was removing my engine cover I broke one of the small clips doing the oil change. I guess it was really cold out and brittle. Anyone know how much a new engine cover runs? It still secures fine, but it doesn't sit as "flush" as it did, it was the minor clip in the corner, not one of the major ones.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:27 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
The T-Bar is "cantilever" attached to the grille, so I suppose you could unsnap the grille end while leaving it bolted on the other end. Since this was the first time I mucked with this area of the car, I didn't know that, so removed the entire T-bar, which is under the cover. The T-Bar is not re-used w/ the new grille so I can certainly take a pic of the stock grille with it attached tonight.
Also, getting the new grille to snap in snugly w/ all the clips on the bottom took some doing, so for me, having the extra working room w/o the cover on was good.

The grille is from Express Body Parts...
Old 02-14-2011, 02:30 PM

2009 C 300
Originally Posted by Doanster
The T-Bar is "cantilever" attached to the grille, so I suppose you could unsnap the grille end while leaving it bolted on the other end. Since this was the first time I mucked with this area of the car, I didn't know that, so removed the entire T-bar, which is under the cover. The T-Bar is not re-used w/ the new grille so I can certainly take a pic of the stock grille with it attached tonight.
Also, getting the new grille to snap in snugly w/ all the clips on the bottom took some doing, so for me, having the extra working room w/o the cover on was good.

The grille is from Express Body Parts...
I would love to see that pic...............please
Old 02-14-2011, 02:36 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
Looks good. I like the black grill with the chrome floating star...but I guess I'm biased lol
Old 02-15-2011, 12:39 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
As promised... pics of the T-bar, both on and off the grille.
So, Sportstick/Darth/etc., if you all replaced your grilles w/o taking off the cover, then what you probably inadvertantly did was unsnap the grille, leaving the T-bar in place and attached to the frame of the car. The two small pegs on each end of the T-bar just pop into corresponding holes in the grille as seen in the second pic. OR... you don't have the T-bar at all?

However, for me, there was no way I could've gotten the lower part of the replacement grille to snap into all the clips w/o removing the cover to give me room to use my hands to guide/push from behind. Either way, this should clear things up and people can see/decide how best to proceed.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I also have a 2009, but I just took a high intensity flashlight to the area directly behind the 3 pointed star, and there is no t-bar. I look directly at cooling fins at all points. The areas which your photo show would be slightly blocked by the edges of the t-bar are absolutely unobstructed...nothing there. I wonder if this was a cost reduction and also made the plant installation easier, as the new grille has been well retained. The mystery deepens.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
I'll double check my build date, but I think it was around 2/09. I can see them nixing the bar just because it isn't an integral part of holding the grille in place. The **** on the ends and the tabs at the bottom do a perfectly fine job.

Actually, you probably wouldn't be able to see the bar looking through the front of the Star. Like I said previously, the end that connects to the grille pivots, so would be parallel and at the top of the Star. Peel back the cover a bit to shine the flashlight down?

Last edited by Doanster; 02-15-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:35 AM

2010 C300
I just swapped my grill and I do have the T bar, my car is a 01/2010 build.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 BMW M235i 6MT
That grill looks really good! I like how the slats are one solid piece, and it doesn't have a separate chrome bar like OEM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:46 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
Just checked... my car was built 3/09. Sportstick, able to confirm whether you have the bar or not? What about you, RonJr?

ps just noticed the third pic of the bar above... anyone needing the part number for air filters has it right there in front of them! $35/pair vs $65 at the dealership
Old 02-16-2011, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Doanster
Just checked... my car was built 3/09. Sportstick, able to confirm whether you have the bar or not? What about you, RonJr?

ps just noticed the third pic of the bar above... anyone needing the part number for air filters has it right there in front of them! $35/pair vs $65 at the dealership
I did not disassemble the grille, and now realize the t-bar pivots to a more horizontal position, so I may not be able to see it looking straight in the mesh around the star. But, from every angle, including upward, that I shine the flashlight, I have clear visibility back to the radiator with no view of any piece which looks like the t-bar in your photo.

I have a new grille coming (received all black with star and having the first surfaces painted Palladium for a monotone look). When that gets installed, I will look in more detail, unless there is a way to see now without taking anything apart?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Well, I don't think it has changed in any year. Perhaps it is build location? Because I have a 2009 c-class and my sister has 2011 c-class; both were built in South Africa plant, and we both have that T-bar... Weird.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:01 AM

2009 C 300
Originally Posted by Sportstick
I did not disassemble the grille, and now realize the t-bar pivots to a more horizontal position, so I may not be able to see it looking straight in the mesh around the star. But, from every angle, including upward, that I shine the flashlight, I have clear visibility back to the radiator with no view of any piece which looks like the t-bar in your photo.

I have a new grille coming (received all black with star and having the first surfaces painted Palladium for a monotone look). When that gets installed, I will look in more detail, unless there is a way to see now without taking anything apart?
Please post a pic when done , I have the same color car.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by EV2AAR
Please post a pic when done , I have the same color car.
Will do...you know where I got the grille...sincerely hope yours arrives as well!
Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 AM

2009 C 300
Will do...you know where I got the grille...sincerely hope yours arrives as well!

Thanks , but I stopped believing in fairy tales a long time ago.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
w204 C300
This should be interesting...
Old 02-16-2011, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Matt@EuroJerks
This should be interesting...
Yes, it should! I've appreciated the monochrome dipped look since it came out of Europe a long time ago. I don't know exactly when the new grille will show up, as I told the paint pro at my indy shop there was no rush...just fit it in during a break in his restoration work. So, I am at least as eager to get that phone call as is anyone to see the result!
Old 02-16-2011, 01:43 PM

2009 C300 Sport 4Matic, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Looks good! Is there a small gap though between the top of the grill and the hood?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:06 PM

C300
I was wondering do you have to remove the radiator cover to remove the grill? ive been researching and have come up with mixed results. i found this video but im not sure if this removal is exclusive to german spec only. is this all you need to do??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzM7KfiLZO0

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Grille Pics/Install Tidbits