C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Question on transmission memory

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C350 Sport
Question on transmission memory

Guys,
I have a question. Is it possible to make transmission not to adjust to driving style. For some reasons when I reset the transmission gears changed at the right intervals depends on throttle control, but after driving a while shifts are delayed. For example when turning and pressing accelerator there will be delay in downshift. After reset all normal. It looks like the learning software is not so perfect. I had other autos on Acura, Toyota and they were much better learners than MB 7 speed auto. It suppose to be one of the best autos on the market. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 02:28 PM

S500, C250 CGI
bump. i'd like to know too, resetting the memory every so often becomes a hassle.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c350
You can buy a sprint booster .
Old 02-27-2011, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Reset the accelerator, but only pushing the pedal down halfway, not to the floor.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:41 AM

S500, C250 CGI
That prevents it from adjusting to your driving style? And to activate it again do you do the same thing?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
The transmission TCU keeps accumulatng your driving driving style, only that this kind of accelerator reset makes the car think you are full-flooring the throttle when it is only depressed half-way. So the transmission automatically learns a more aggressive driving style even though you are driving spiritedly. Was extremely disappointed in the 7G transmission until the accelerator was reset this way, now the C300 shifts brilliantly.
The dealer can reset the TCU with the Star diagnostics system, and in 2008 there were perhaps one or two upgrades to the software that could have been applied, if you wish to reteach the TCU from scratch, but found that this was not necessary.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Lol so if I did the reset with only 2 inches pedal depression, I'd floor it all the time? And what happens when you pass the set measurements? Continuous acceleration?
Old 02-27-2011, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Not totally floored, but the result should about the same as inserting a Sprint Booster. Just drove the C300 the short distance between the airport and home here, which requires going from sea level, over a steep 1400 foot mountain, and back down to sea level again. The W204 is just fabulously lively with this accelerator setting, just pressing down a bit but firmly gets the transmission awake and downshifting 1 or 2 gears very quickly, no flooring needed. Before I was hugely disappointed, now I smile all the time, and the driver feels in command, not subject to a slow, undecided TCU.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Come to think of it, a few weeks ago a tractor trailer changed lanes and accidently bashed my left rear-quarter panel. A MB dealer took care of the repair, but took two weeks, and during some time in their shop the battery was disconnected for an extended period. When I got the C300 back, everything was changed, even the language of the vehicle. Of course the accelerator lost its calibration, and during the 3 hour drive home the car shifted like molasses. Parked the car, and reset the accelerator. The next day things were more back to normal (lively, responsive) and now a week later the acceleration and shifting are super. This half-way-down accelerator reset tip learned from another thread on this forum, you may wish to search for "pedal reset" to get other comments.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:10 AM

S500, C250 CGI
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
The transmission TCU keeps accumulatng your driving driving style, only that this kind of accelerator reset makes the car think you are full-flooring the throttle when it is only depressed half-way. So the transmission automatically learns a more aggressive driving style even though you are driving spiritedly. Was extremely disappointed in the 7G transmission until the accelerator was reset this way, now the C300 shifts brilliantly.
The dealer can reset the TCU with the Star diagnostics system, and in 2008 there were perhaps one or two upgrades to the software that could have been applied, if you wish to reteach the TCU from scratch, but found that this was not necessary.
Thanks that's really helpful. So from what I understand, using this method there is no need to constantly reset the ECU since the car will adopt a more aggressive driving style right?
Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Yes, this is what I, and many others, have found. In this case the accelerator becomes "aggressive" and one can drive "normally" with quicker engine response and shifting/learning from the TCU. I was really quite angry with the transmission performance for many months, now its really great.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
I just read through the other Pedal Reset thread to understand how to do this and it does say to depress the pedal to the floor all the way past the kickdown switch. It sounds like you have completed the process with the half way throttle push and it is more aggresive?

I have only had this car about a month, original owner was a middle age female so I am guessing this car was trained to be grocery getter for the first 24K miles...I was a little disappointed with the throttle response in lower range of the pedal also - considered the sprintbooster, but after researching that I decided to just started mashing the pedal harder, still cannot wait to get home and try this on my car, thanks.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:42 AM

S500, C250 CGI
Originally Posted by Scat01
I just read through the other Pedal Reset thread to understand how to do this and it does say to depress the pedal to the floor all the way past the kickdown switch. It sounds like you have completed the process with the half way throttle push and it is more aggresive?

I have only had this car about a month, original owner was a middle age female so I am guessing this car was trained to be grocery getter for the first 24K miles...I was a little disappointed with the throttle response in lower range of the pedal also - considered the sprintbooster, but after researching that I decided to just started mashing the pedal harder, still cannot wait to get home and try this on my car, thanks.
it works, i just did it and went on a drive. response time is vastly improved but i will have to see if this half-way pedal method will keep it this way in the long run.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:42 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by lithium332
it works, i just did it and went on a drive. response time is vastly improved but i will have to see if this half-way pedal method will keep it this way in the long run.
Thanks for the quick reply Lith332 - appreciated. Response improved for gear downshifts while driving only or all around (From dead stop, etc..)
Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 PM

S500, C250 CGI
Originally Posted by Scat01
Thanks for the quick reply Lith332 - appreciated. Response improved for gear downshifts while driving only or all around (From dead stop, etc..)
np, for me it seems to be an improvement across the board and actually most noticeable from a dead stop. tell me how it goes.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@Scat01: I understand from other threads that the 2011 does not have the kickdown switch. The 2008 through 2010 models supposedly do, although my personal experience has been that when you actually DO hit the switch, the transmission takes longer to figure out if it is going to downshift 1, 2 or even 3 gears. There is a transmission training manual somewhere which has a great diagram of all the inputs to the TCU, there are SIX and then the switch makes it 7... Currently I try to drive never hitting the switch.

Last edited by Acapulco Bill; 02-28-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-28-2011, 02:04 PM

2008 C350 Sport
@Scat01: I understand from other threads that the 2011 does not have the kickdown switch. The 2008 through 2010 models supposedly do, although my personal experience has been that when you actually DO hit the switch, the transmission takes longer to figure out if it is going to downshift 1, 2 or even 3 gears. There is a transmission training manual somewhere which has a great diagram of all the inputs to the TCU, there are SIX and then the switch makes it 7... Currently I try to drive never hitting the switch.

Thanks again for all the info - It is raining here today and I detailed my car yesterday, so it may be a day or two before I get to this, but will reply with feedback (cant wait).

I do not think I have gone past the switch either, I was just referrring to the instructions in the other post about this reset. I guess in the early stages of this hitting the forum, it was assumed that was the way to complete the reset.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
There is one more option, at the next service, ask the MB dealer to make sure your TCU software is up to date, using the Star system and your C350'sw serial number. This will not only get the best updated TCU software, but will also reset the "learning" back to zero, so you can teach the transmission from scratch how you drive.