C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Gear downshift - jerking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gear downshift - jerking

hello,
wondering if anyone encounter this problem, not sure if it is normal?

everytime when there is downshift in gear the car will jerk badly.

especially during traffic congestion moving at a slow pace.
when I press on the accelerator and suddenly the car in front brake, which i have to let go the accelerator, the car will jerk.

when to the service center and they said that they have reprogram (i actually dont know what they program) now the situation seems to be worst than before.
and at times it will not jerk but i can feel the engine vibrates.

the car is just 6 months old
Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
This is a fairly common problem with the 722.9 transmission. Make sure that the TCU (transmission control unit) has the latest software flash designed to fix this.

Severe jerks under power on the way up through the gears usually spell valve body/electrohydraulic unit problems.

Changedown jerks & heavy trailing throttle jerks when you lift off the gas quickly are usually software related & you sometimes catch out the TC clutches as they are trying to engage.

Good luck!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Yup I can confirm a flash to the newest firmware fixed the problem for me driving a 2010 C300 4Matic. It still has a bit of a jerking but no where near as bad as before.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the information...
will visit sc to update again since last update did not do any good.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
I described it to my SA like this... "It feels like the car is being rear ended on down shifts..."

Got ripped a new one for a transmission diagnosis/reprogram and flush... (SA agreed to a free detail... HAH, they'll run it through the car wash and MAYBE ,if they even decide to go this far, give it some fresh swirls with a power buffer)

Funny how the dealership that I purchased from always offers to look at things like this for free, and then call with an initial opinion and estimate.

The other clowns are too happy to rack up a fat list of $400 "a la carte" service items to fix whatever your problem may be and get your signature on that piece of paper so they can bill you. Go figure, almost every time I ask them if they are sure that [xxxx repair] is what needs to be fixed they answer "well we can't be sure until we get in there" [read: even if it doesn't we're going to bill you]. We agree to discuss it when my car is in the shop and the tech has had at least a moment with the car...

And then what happens next? Your invoice gets dropped in a box, the tech picks it up and performs said service completely oblivious to the the fact I want to talk to the SA before work is done. You come back pick up your car, and your SA is STILL not sure if your car is fixed....

I'll have to find that out later... on the road somewhere... hopefully not in the middle of bumble**** or severe weather.

Mercedes Benz service is a laugh (outside of the showroom).
Old 03-23-2011, 11:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by dcjwlee
I described it to my SA like this... "It feels like the car is being rear ended on down shifts..."

Got ripped a new one for a transmission diagnosis/reprogram and flush... (SA agreed to a free detail... HAH, they'll run it through the car wash and MAYBE ,if they even decide to go this far, give it some fresh swirls with a power buffer)

Funny how the dealership that I purchased from always offers to look at things like this for free, and then call with an initial opinion and estimate.

The other clowns are too happy to rack up a fat list of $400 "a la carte" service items to fix whatever your problem may be and get your signature on that piece of paper so they can bill you. Go figure, almost every time I ask them if they are sure that [xxxx repair] is what needs to be fixed they answer "well we can't be sure until we get in there" [read: even if it doesn't we're going to bill you]. We agree to discuss it when my car is in the shop and the tech has had at least a moment with the car...

And then what happens next? Your invoice gets dropped in a box, the tech picks it up and performs said service completely oblivious to the the fact I want to talk to the SA before work is done. You come back pick up your car, and your SA is STILL not sure if your car is fixed....

I'll have to find that out later... on the road somewhere... hopefully not in the middle of bumble**** or severe weather.

Mercedes Benz service is a laugh (outside of the showroom).
I have no clue what you said but I will take a stab - If a dealer charged you to get your tranny flashed then LOL.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280
I had the same problem when I first got my car. Had my car reprogrammed. It went away. Though a year later it came back, had it reprogrammed again, it went away. Another year later, the problem came back and again, after reprogramming, it went away. Looks like reprogramming should be part of the yearly maintenance program? haha
Old 03-24-2011, 02:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C300 09' (GONE) W205 C63S Edition 1 Estate
i feel the jerks too, my car is a 09 model and theres bout 30k on it. should i get it checked out?