C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Need help with UMI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
Need help with UMI

Hey guys and gals,

I am trying to install UMI on my 2009 C300. I just picked one up from ebay for $850. I was hoping to do the install myself, but I can't find any instructions on how to do it. I searched the forum and google and still came up with nothing.

Did anyone installed UMI by yourself? If so do you by any chance have a write up and possibly pictures on how to do it?

Anyone in San Francisco area used dealership to install UMI? If so how much did they charge you and what dealership did you go to?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2011, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
UMI, first of all a lot of 2009 C300's are NOT compatible with the UMI, only the iPod interface.

Before you go further, give your MB dealer your VIN and just ask if THEY can install a UMI in your particular W204. That will give you an idea if it is possible or not.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:53 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
The UMI is the Nav+4. It's compatible with all W204s back to 2008 that have the Audio 20 head unit (not COMAND).

The Media Interface is the one that is only compatible with newer W204s. Mercedes really needs to come up with better names that aren't so similar and confusing. I think that's why they changed the UMI name to "Nav+4" but it didn't help.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
From Mercedes Benz: "Stuttgart – Perfectly equipped for the future: with the Mercedes-Benz Universal Media Interface, customers can integrate the latest mobile multimedia technology into the existing vehicle architecture by means of just one procedure. Mobile entertainment and communication devices such as USB-based MP3 players, music phones and the Apple iPhone® can be easily linked to the vehicle audio system and controlled via the existing operating controls. The Universal Media Interface developed by Mercedes-Benz Accessories GmbH is compatible with the Audio 20 CD system (codes 523 and 520). Although this equipment does not have a navigation function, a convenient GPS map navigation function is available when used in combination with the UMI."

NOT ALL W204 have Audio 20 Code 520 or 523 headunits. The MB websites in their accessories pages required that customers contact their dealers with their VINs to determine compatibility for UMI installation. There were some W204s manufactured through 2009 that were not compatible with UMI.

As SFBayArea's C300 is a 2009, and additionally there were early UMIs that did not have Nav4+, the recommendation to call a MB dealer with the VIN to determine compatibility is VALID.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD
Bill, your info is not 100% correct, UMI and Nav+4 are just different name for the same thing..
When MB first introduced this upgrade to audio 20, they named it UMI, later they changed the name to Nav+4,
then to Navigation 20 in europe (still called Nav+4 here in states)

There is another upgrade call UCI (universal consumer interface is basically UMI w/o the navigation feature)

There is no compatibility issue w/ audio 20 and UMI, all w204 with audio 20 can have UMI/Nav+4/Navigation 20 installed,
the only difference is some 08 and 09 w204 will need to have a telematic update done to the audio 20 which is just a software update..
The only compatibility issue with audio 20 and UMI has to do w/ center speaker, if your w204 comes with audio 20 and Tele-Aid or mBrace,
you will need a new center speaker because the original center speaker from Tele-Aid and mBraice is single input only,
you need to swap the single input center speaker to a dual input HK center speaker so it can be hooked to both UMI & Tele-Aid/mBrace..

SFBayArea, check this tread, starting with page 4, there are some pictures of DIY UMI installation by SC356..
I have also fiddled w/ UMI and can give you some tips about how wires should be connected and routed..

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...installed.html

Last edited by justthinking; 03-29-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@justthinking: Thanks for the outstanding acclaration. In any case, it is true that some Audio 20 headunits would have to be software updated by the MB dealer, hence it is also true that until the dealer updates the headunit, thise headunits are basically not compatible.

So logically the best course of action is to call FIRST call the MB dealer with the VIN and find out of the particular Audio 20 headunit is compatible (e.g. it has the telematic update) and if so, proceed with looking at installing the UMI youraelf.

But if not, then perhaps a MB dealer install would be the wisest solution because of the telematic software update. At some time in 2009 MB had yet to provide a workaround, and was the basis of my information.

In either case it will be necessary to call the MB dealer with the VIN FIRST to determine compatibility, and that was my point.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:02 PM

W204
Originally Posted by justthinking
Bill, your info is not 100% correct, UMI and Nav+4 are just different name for the same thing..
When MB first introduced this upgrade to audio 20, they named it UMI, later they changed the name to Nav+4,
then to Navigation 20 in europe (still called Nav+4 here in states)

There is another upgrade call UCI (universal consumer interface is basically UMI w/o the navigation feature)

There is no compatibility issue w/ audio 20 and UMI, all w204 with audio 20 can have UMI/Nav+4/Navigation 20 installed,
the only difference is some 08 and 09 w204 will need to have a telematic update done to the audio 20 which is just a software update..
The only compatibility issue with audio 20 and UMI has to do w/ center speaker, if your w204 comes with audio 20 and Tele-Aid or mBrace,
you will need a new center speaker because the original center speaker from Tele-Aid and mBraice is single input only,
you need to swap the single input center speaker to a dual input HK center speaker so it can be hooked to both UMI & Tele-Aid/mBrace..

SFBayArea, check this tread, starting with page 4, there are some pictures of DIY UMI installation by SC356..
I have also fiddled w/ UMI and can give you some tips about how wires should be connected and routed..

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...installed.html
Thank you. I will get my UMI in about a week and will reach out to you if I have questions.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 PM

2009 MB C300 4Matic Sport
Hello SFBayArea,

I too have a UMI new in the box that I wish to install in my 2009 W204 but the dealership in my area wants to charge me as much for labor as I paid for the UMI itself which is not cool IMO.

Just wondering how your experience turned out and did you end up installing yourself. My dealer says it can take approx. 6 hours to install at the dealership @ $125/hr! OUCH.

Thanks,

KC

Last edited by kcanard; 08-16-2011 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 AM

GLK 350
Did anybody finally find a DIY guide for installing the UMI?

My dealer wants 4-5 hours labor and thats way too rich for me.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
I have installed the UMI kit on a European W204. WIS covers this retrofit, I could print those documents for personal use but would not share those at the forum (MB copyright).

Installation takes quite some time but nothing really difficult, a good DIY task for someone with basic knowledge and sufficient patience.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:37 PM

c220
umi installation issues !

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I have installed the UMI kit on a European W204. WIS covers this retrofit, I could print those documents for personal use but would not share those at the forum (MB copyright).

Installation takes quite some time but nothing really difficult, a good DIY task for someone with basic knowledge and sufficient patience.
Hi Diesel benz,

please help me,
I try to install the umi in my c class 2008
I have wis and I read all ,
I have unmount all parts descibed ,
but the problem is the adapter cable with 2 big connectors, there is no enough place behind the audio 20 head unit,
I tried to put this connector outside of unit compartment, but it's not easy to push the unit as before,

my second problem is gps don't have any satellites, I have plugged all to test, , I tried 20 -30 minutes, I moved the car, nothing changes , it always indicate 0 satellite, and map don't change, I 'm in France, I bought this umi kit in UK,

usb, audio streaming works..

I will try to buy an other antenna but why an antenna as new don't work?... I 'm very dissapointed, perhaps this umi is defective..but all seems to work ..

If you have any idea, suggestion, I will thank you very much.