C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How do you like your c-class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 330Ci
How do you like your c-class?

Hi, I'm new to the forum . I've been a long time forum member from e46fanatics. I love my e46 but after 150k miles it's finally starting to show it's age and I'm in the market to get a 2009/2010 C-class. But, before I dive into it I wanted to find out if there were any complaints or regrets on getting the C class. So let's hear'em! Complaints, praises, etc.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
I love my C from the first day of purchase till now. If your thinking about getting a C i would wait for the 2012 coupe.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:35 PM

C300
I love my car. Only thing i regret is not getting my car fully loaded. Other than that, i'm glad i got chose this car
Old 04-04-2011, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 Black on Black
I hate the lag
Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Refused to drive my C300 for 6 months for the crappy stereo and other issues. Went out within 3 weeks of the W204 purchase and bought a REALLY NICE automobile, a Belgian-made Ford MONDEO just to have something excellent to drive daily. Its quieter, made of better materials, has a fantastic suspension, and drives OK at 200 KPH, although not as well as the Merc (and only has a Porsche-designed 170 HP 2.5L engine).

Now that the sound system, brake recall, and other items have been resolved, the C300 is a fine vehicle, although nowhere near the quality of my V12.

Of my 11 vehicles, the W204 is one of the best. Grateful to have it, and use the Merc for long trips, which are frequent now, but its not my daily drive for sure.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
It's OK not the best one not the worse one, since I got my powerchip ECU tune I enjoy it a lot more.

Last edited by tanktube67; 04-05-2011 at 01:18 AM. Reason: ecu
Old 04-04-2011, 02:16 PM

BMW 330Ci
I've been looking at different photos of the C-class interior. If you didn't get navigation with the vehicle is the display in the center console just smaller or are they the same size? What is bad about the sound system? My e46 has a really horrid harmon kardon system so I guess I'm somewhat used to low-fidelity audio in cars.

Trending Topics

Old 04-04-2011, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@jywu86: Attached are photos of the interior my C300 Sport. Dont know if these are standard in USA or Canadian vehicles, this is what comes in Mexico W204's. Good bolster support, and are more comfortable than the C63 seats.

As for the 330Ci HK system - your's must be blown out or have a problem, because my son's E46 330i has just FABULOUS sound from the factory HK install, and puts the stock C300 system to shame. (The stock Audio 20 speakers cost $1 for all 8 of them). Others will agree. I actually like to sit in the right rear seat of the 330i and just listen, although both my sons (the other has a BMW ZHP, basically an E46 330i with an M suspension and tuning, plus the HK system), think that the C300 sound, with after market Infinity Kappa speakers and a self-amplified subwoofer, is as good as the HK,even cleaner sounding.

Recommend that you take your 3 series to a reputable car stereo installer and have them give your HK system a listen (or go to a BMW dealer and check out a current HK system, which should not sound too different from yours when functioning properly). The HK BMW system is stereophile quality and few home systems even come close to its fidelity in the car's controlled acoustic environment.

Want to add here, that I was driven this weekend in a new A4 and a brand new Altima (450 miles on it). The A4 was a disappointment, noisy and bumpy, rattles, in spite of the quality interior materials which are nice to touch, but sounded like the A4 was coming apart. Almost bought one, now truly happy to have purchased the C, and over a 335i for instance.

And my children (four actually) think that the W204 is certainly a fine vehicle, a perfect fit for me. The Ford Mondeo, in their opinion, is also wonderful (Top Gear thinks so too, rates it higher than the W204, 15/20, than either the 3 Series, the A4 or the C)... BUT my V12 is in a completely higher category. They have driven all these cars, plus the other 8 I own, extensively.

The Altima, although better than an Accord for example, (I have one), still has horrid interior materials and ugly styling (IMO), harsh ride and lots of noise even new. The Accord is generally agreed as still being an good vehicle and an excellent value, although there is lots of competition and controversy in this sedan segment.
Attached Thumbnails How do you like your c-class?-w204sportseats.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
I like the car a lot, even more now that I did some of the mods listed in my sig, especially tires, antisway bars, brake pads, and steering wheel. The car feels quite refined, powertrain is smooth and responsive enough for me, although the manual trans is a bit antiquated. The chassis is nicely compliant, and with the antisway bars, the steering response and handling are very pleasing. You will need to get used to the lighter steering effort, but that happens surprisingly easily. The seats are very comfortable, and everything just seems to work quite well. Sound system is good enough...I keep my home theater at home!

However, I am giving consideration to going in your direction. Mercedes seems to be moving toward older mindset (physical age is not relevant, thank you!), less involved drivers based on their marketing message of older discombobulated drivers being saved by their car's technology, and their decision to go 100% automatic transmission on C Class starting next year. The brand seems to be headed toward satisfying status-seeking, style-sensitive people, who want to be cared-for, think they are "sporty", or if you're under 25, "sick", (but don't see a doctor), and away from any serious notion of engineering the world's best driver's car.

So, if the BMW F30 next gen 3 series is as hoped for, I may be going in that direction for their second year of production for the 4 cylinder 6 speed stick, when I anticipate the best balance of quality versus model newness. Quality improvements are cyclical in auto companies, and given the current 3 series' history, I am presuming an all out war on defect prevention has been launched in Bavaria!

But, welcome, if you are arriving here!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@Sportstick: then you just GOTTA get the new 1M... Although with two 3´s, both sons say the 3´s materials and feel, especially the E90, is lightweight and cheap compared to the C. Noisy too. Performance and driving-wise, the BMW is a different experience, but not better for everyone.

You are correct though, two very different design and marketing criteria, although there seems to be lots of overlap both in buyers and in comparisons.

BUT, Sportstick, you err in saying that all of us over-60-ers are "older discombobulated drivers being saved by their car's technology", as I never needed ESP or ABS when racing my BMW 2002 at Watkins Glen over 40 years ago AND I CERTAINLY STILL DONT NEED TO BE SAVED NOW driving twisty mountain roads and speeds over 120 MPH, which I have the luxury of doing every day. Its has been months since I have seen the triangular stability warning light flash. Come to think of it, the ONLY times it has flashed was when my youngest son (20) was at the wheel, and I surely therefore must drive faster, and undoubtedly better, than him.

WHOM needs to be saved? Maybe only the X-generation, younger, discombobulated, distracted and undisciplined, texting while driving or staring at their GPS Navs because they can never remember where the hell WalMart is.

Last edited by Acapulco Bill; 04-04-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:44 PM

BMW 330Ci
Thanks for all the informative responses. As for my 330Ci's car stereo, one of the speakers did blow out, which I replaced. But I guess as for sound to the driver's seat, it is absolutely horrid. The new 3ers and even the older model x3's with basic audio sounds a lot more full than my harmon kardon's especially the mids and the highs with much better bass distinction. In the world of hi-fi audio my HK system sounds like skullcandy headphones, but it could be because of the age of the car (approx. 8 years now).

From the feedback I've gotten the C class seems to really fit what I need as I don't really care too much for sportiness as I do care for comfort. But as for the navigation screen, what do you get if you don't order navi? Is it just a small screen telling time? Lastly, what options is a must have for this car? I do some DIY jobs here and there, but I know somethings are just better to have the factory installed. (Cost/time vs Quality)
Old 04-04-2011, 04:19 PM

2011 C300
there are no must have features, u get a 5 inch screen if u dont have navi like me. it shows radio bands and all kinds of stuff, its like a little navigator that guides u through menus and the radio system
Old 04-04-2011, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@jywu86: The HK systems in the 330i and ZHP mentioned in Post #8 are both 8 years old (2004 model year), so there really has to be something not right with your particular installation. You might be advised to have a shop check it out, especially if you plan to sell your E46, to make sure that the HK system is a strong selling advantage rather than a detriment.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
@Sportstick: then you just GOTTA get the new 1M... Although with two 3´s, both sons say the 3´s materials and feel, especially the E90, is lightweight and cheap compared to the C. Noisy too. Performance and driving-wise, the BMW is a different experience, but not better for everyone.

You are correct though, two very different design and marketing criteria, although there seems to be lots of overlap both in buyers and in comparisons.

BUT, Sportstick, you err in saying that all of us over-60-ers are "older discombobulated drivers being saved by their car's technology", as I never needed ESP or ABS when racing my BMW 2002 at Watkins Glen over 40 years ago AND I CERTAINLY STILL DONT NEED TO BE SAVED NOW driving twisty mountain roads and speeds over 120 MPH, which I have the luxury of doing every day. Its has been months since I have seen the triangular stability warning light flash. Come to think of it, the ONLY times it has flashed was when my youngest son (20) was at the wheel, and I surely therefore must drive faster, and undoubtedly better, than him.

WHOM needs to be saved? Maybe only the X-generation, younger, discombobulated, distracted and undisciplined, texting while driving or staring at their GPS Navs because they can never remember where the hell WalMart is.
Perhaps I did not write it with sufficient emphasis, but I did not intend to convey what you surmised. We actually agree, and are close in physical years. I wrote "older mindset...physical age is not relevant"!!! I was referring to those MB commercials where they use older actors to make the point, but these dunderheads just sit there explaining how they were distracted, tired, not paying attention...an old "state of mind". At 57, this is not me, and sounds like not you, either. And, as MB drifts off toward somnolence, I will be looking for a more awake, active, and involved automotive choice with three proper pedals. As the late David E. said, "No boring cars!"
Old 04-04-2011, 05:07 PM

2010 c300 4 matic, honda civic, subaru impreza
its great for the price

i bought a 2010 c300 4matic a month ago. with 6,000 miles. i just price out a 2011 with the same options as mine and it came to 42,900. and im sure a 2012 will be even more. since mine has just 6000 miles and fogs instead of leds like the 2011 i paid 31,900. i save almost ten grand buying the managers demo. it was the exact car i wanted just had 6,000 miles on it. its an amazing car compared to other 30,000 dollar cars. yes it was a lag when you press the gas but like others have said tuning can fix it. realistically its not going to be a perfect car, but as long as you haven't been driving 80,000 dollar cars your whole life you'll enjoy this car very much.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:02 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
V-12s

......BUT my V12 is in a completely higher category......

Hmmm.

Well, a V12 could be an MB-600 (hope it's not a 140) or a BMW 7 or a Daytona or even, stretching it, a Lincoln Zephyr.

Probably not a P-51.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C300 09' (GONE) W205 C63S Edition 1 Estate
The only things i dont like about the car is the lack of power and the lag, but i plan to get that taken care of (ecu tune + sprint booster). Other than that. I love it!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 PM

BMW 330Ci
I guess a test drive will answer my questions about the lag time and power. My e46 also has a tremendous amount of lag from the drive-by-wire but I got used to it. Looks like I'll be joining the w204 club soon.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
Originally Posted by Mixedfruits
I hate the lag
Someone should go talk to Jeremy :3 You can either get a tune to fix it, or basically do what I do and downshift first before lane changing, overtaking, merging, etc. :P

But on topic, I love the car. Everything's great except I still get wind noise on the freeways, which apparently is due to warping in the weather stripping around the windows. I checked for this problem like yesterday, and both of my front ones are SLIGHTLY warped. I might go take it in for that like tomorrow. But besides that, seats are comfy, gas mileage is definitely do-able, power's good, I love the COMAND system, and the HK sound system is nice as well
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM

2008 C350
jy, get a 350. I'm very glad I did.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Yes, all this diatribe was a bit off topic. I think the C is a great car and hope that MB continues to improve it. After being initially disappointed with it, and looking at the alternatives, and even buying another so I wouldnt have to drive it (which for a daily driver I dont regret one bit) to tell the truth it I am a happy W204 owner.

It is NOT a sports car, it is a sporty luxury sedan with good performance, excellent built quality, thoughtful engineering and ergonomics (like the auto speed control, in a short time you realize how far superior it is to BMW for instance). The engines are tuned very conservatively with reliability and longevity in mind. The materials have been chosen although some still joke about the "Basketball Benz" dash material, maybe the 2012 interior will be more "finger friendly".

As for Sportsticks "older mindset", it is hard to imagine anyone with E class mentality purchasing and enjoying a C (those with the E63 excepted). It is a safe haven for the sporty and even aggresive driver. I drive my C300 probably harder and faster than most are able (just because one can get away with driving at 120 MPH or more for extended periods on challenging roads with no one to stop you from doing so). So the C is all I can ask for (and afford) and performs to expectations, at least after resetting the accelerator to combat that terrible lag Mixedfruits laments.

Although, sadly, I too may succumb to the temptation to simplify my life and let the vehicle take care of such trivial tasks as drifting out of one's lane or not noticing the traffic stopped right in front of you. However, until then, the C fills adequately my need for an automobile I can drive quietly and comfortably FLAT OUT.

The senile temptation: the 2014 E
Attached Thumbnails How do you like your c-class?-eclass2014.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
Mine was built in 2007 and had many small defects repaired under warranty that include:
sway bar links, top strut bearings, engine pulley, sunroof controller module, sat radio module, seat parts on both drivers and passenger, mirror modules and one mirror motor, heater fan, stinky AC.

I only put up with it because my wife loves driving it and it is the best brand at the price point to be riding in!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:01 AM

2010 C350, 2011 BMW 328xi
I have a 2010 C350 (1st MB) and love it. As a late 40s guy who likes a comfortable ride (a good cup of coffee in the morning) while also occasionally drifting back to younger years and kicking it up a notch in the turns I am pleasantly happy. I bought my wife a 2011 BMW 328xi and she loves it. As stated before a much different driving experience. Love them both but prefer the C. Just plain a great ride. Love how it seems to ride even better above 80 mph. The one big difference between the two cars in the guages. For a guy who now needs reading glasses the C's guages are so much easier to read than the tiny numbers on the BMW.

The only thing I would have done differently is gone fully loaded.

Love the C350. My wife loves her 328. Just depends on you. Take long test drives is my biggest advice.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:18 PM

BMW 330Ci
Sounds perfect. This weekend I will be test driving a couple Cs and 3s. I got my 330Ci when I was still in HS. (thanks mom and dad.) and that point I was more about the sporty, sexy coupes. But since then I've really noticed I drive more like a 40 year old than a 20 year old. Rarely speed unless somewhat pressed for time or longer road trips, stick to usually one lane, and always drive w/windows up because it's quieter. So I think the C class will really fit my needs especially since I favor comfort over sportiness. The only other thing is I do go up to the mountains about 20 times a year during winter. How is the C when it comes to snow?
Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jywu86
The only other thing is I do go up to the mountains about 20 times a year during winter. How is the C when it comes to snow?
Depends....all the way from awful (rear wheel drive with original equipment tires) to ok (rear wheel drive with good all season tires, such as Conti DWS) to good (all wheel drive with good all season tires) to extremely good (rear wheel drive with dedicated winter tires, such as Blizzak WS70) to great (all wheel drive with dedicated winter tires)!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you like your c-class?