C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Friend got a ticket advice please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C300 Sport
Lawyer. Trust me, best advice you can give him. Best part is he doesn't even have to go to court, just call in with the ticket # and his credit card info. I used to drive like a bat outta hell back in college and I found good lawyer that charged around $150-175 per ticket and got me out of 8 tickets in a YEAR. Although I did have to do some traffic school for a few of them (73 in a 35), there were no points assessed, no fines, and it didn't count against the # of times I could take traffic school or anything like that.

I did know the people at traffic school by name though, and could teach the class by the end of the whole thing.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 AM

2011_C350
Originally Posted by jctevere
Oh come on, everyone on here with the, you broke the law, bend over attitude..
Hey goof ball...it was an effing SCHOOL ZONE.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Richie999
Hey goof ball...it was an effing SCHOOL ZONE.
+1 (except for the name calling...don't care for that).....going over on a highway is one thing, and no one here claimed sainthood behind the wheel, but, there's nothing much more sacred than a school zone or stopping for a school bus....sorry, zero tolerance on this one. The OP said school had just ended, kids could still run out of anywhere in the area. But, you're arguing the wrong issue if you're looking for hypocrisy... our points have been if you take the chance and get caught, grow up, admit it, and pay the fine.

Last edited by Sportstick; 05-18-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Agreed. We all do dumb shi* on the highway and main roads, its life, we enjoy cars and driving or we wouldnt be on here. BUT a school zone is not the place for that. U are supposed to go slooooow and turn the system up to get noticed by the MILF's in a school zone
Old 05-18-2011, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
Agreed. We all do dumb shi* on the highway and main roads, its life, we enjoy cars and driving or we wouldnt be on here. BUT a school zone is not the place for that. U are supposed to go slooooow and turn the system up to get noticed by the MILF's in a school zone
lmao such a true statement
Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 PM

2010 C300
Not much your friend can do at this point besides pay the pigs
Old 05-18-2011, 12:43 PM

2009 C350, 2008 C300
As a LEO, I would advise to go in and plead guilty, but ask the judge for a deferred sentence based on him not having any prior charges of reckless driving. At the very least, ask for driver improvement school which usually gets the ticket knocked off your record when attendance is complete.

Usually works and no lawyer needed. But if your friend has priors, he definitely needs a lawyer. hth
Old 05-18-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43
The bottom line is that your friend screwed up. now have him bend over and take it up the tail pipe.

Thats life, the longer you live in this world, the more you realize that the rules need to be followed, there's no getting around it.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:59 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
On a side note... I just noticed an ad at the bottom of the page for "...The Finest Traffic Lawyers"!!!! Is Google that "good"???
Old 05-18-2011, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by Mixedfruits
Well recently my friend got a ticket for:
Reckless Driving

Speeding in a school zone e.g 25mph while children are present 35 when not, he was going 40
Play the game pay the consequences
Old 05-18-2011, 01:37 PM

2018 C63s AMG and 2018 C43 AMG coupe
i am sure you already got the answer you want, Lawyer is the ONLY choice. but screeching tires i get that even at 10 mph in the parking lot buildings, so it's arguable that the tire is just bad and can easily make sound if it's not gripping properly. but yeah either way in this case is just how good your lawyer is to talk his way out of this.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:52 PM

'08 c300 sport
Originally Posted by AskDrTodd
Lawyer. Trust me, best advice you can give him. Best part is he doesn't even have to go to court, just call in with the ticket # and his credit card info. I used to drive like a bat outta hell back in college and I found good lawyer that charged around $150-175 per ticket and got me out of 8 tickets in a YEAR. Although I did have to do some traffic school for a few of them (73 in a 35), there were no points assessed, no fines, and it didn't count against the # of times I could take traffic school or anything like that.

I did know the people at traffic school by name though, and could teach the class by the end of the whole thing.
75 in a 35? Is that even possible
Old 05-18-2011, 02:26 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by EASYDOES1T
75 in a 35? Is that even possible
On the internet, anything is possible.

OP, reckless driving can be charged/filed as either a misdemeanor or an infraction. If the former, and since a criminal charge will stay on his record forever, it would be n his best interest to hire an attorney. He may even choose to do that if it is filed as an infraction.

Jail time is not likely, he's looking at fines of anywhere between $475 and $1500+, PLUS a possible license suspension (depending on his age and driving record), PLUS 2 violation points on his driving record (which WILL mean a HUGE insurance premium increase for a minimum of 3 years).

Since it carries 2 violation points, it is not eligible for dismissal via the traffic school option, although the judge can order traffic school as part of the penalty.

Ultimately, it will depend on what the officer saw (and no, speed is not a necessary element to prove for a conviction) and how he will testify in court.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:27 PM

ML-550,Slk-280,R-350
As an Attorney, I can tell you that your FRIEND is not paying attention where he is driving. He can request a reduction of speed and agree to pay the maximum fine & costs in some states. He had better also learn from this experience because he is really running on more than bad tires, he's running on bad judgment!
Old 05-18-2011, 03:01 PM

C300 SPORT
Originally Posted by AskDrTodd
have your friend do some burnouts screaming "motha fu*k tha police!!!" (in a school zone at 3:01) and shooting a pistol into the air, it'll take everyone's mind off the whole speeding ticket thing.
Could not stop laughing on this comment............seriously, there is no excuse for your friend on this one. Heaven help him if he had hit a child!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:50 AM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by IGB
On the internet, anything is possible.
Nope, that's legit, I was in my roommate's modded Camaro SS trying to get my girlfriend home with a quickness, she still lived with her mom, who was having a sh*t fit, blah blah blah, it was a back road in Orlando that didn't have any houses on it (back then anyway, that area is all built up now). I think it was actually 73 in a 35, but the first thing the cop said is "Now let me see if I can take you to jail". I about pissed myself. I was super respectful and we asked politely if my girlfriend could run the rest of the way home to avoid a beating, I think he saw she was genuinely worried and ended up giving me a reduced ticket, and the lawyer I called beat it, but I still had to do like 8 hours of traffic school. I logged a lot of hours at traffic school that year.

Anyway nowadays I drive nice and slow (Ron Burgundy voice) so everyone can see how good I look. HEY EVERYBODY! COME SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:32 AM

2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Definition of RECKLESS

1: marked by lack of proper caution : careless of consequences

The other day I was doing 25-30 mph in a school zone right after school got out and some kid REALLY CHASED A BUBBLE OFF THE CURB AND INTO THE STREET to pop it with his finger...

I hit my brakes so hard the noise probably made the kid **** his pants. You should have seen the look on the dad's face too. At first, he was angry at his son, then he looked apologetically over at me, and then i guess it dawned on him his kid almost got run over he lost all the color in his face and held his son's hand TIGHT.

Just some food for thought of what COULD have happened to your friend.

Your friend was either making a show out of it/making an opening for the turn that was really too close that he had to skid the tires and accelerate so hard. Not only that but he had minors in the car...

Your friend was being
RECKLESS

1: marked by lack of proper caution : careless of consequences

His bald tire excuse only goes to show that he KNOWS his car is in no condition to be speeding, nonetheless in a school zone, right after school is out, with other people's kids in his car...

Understanding these risks, he chose to ignore the possible consequences. Him getting pulled over, IMHO, is a BEST case scenario...

Last edited by dcjwlee; 05-19-2011 at 09:42 AM.