C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Friend got a ticket advice please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 Black on Black
Friend got a ticket advice please

Well recently my friend got a ticket for:
Reckless Driving

Speeding in a school zone e.g 25mph while children are present 35 when not, he was going 40

and taking minors

Is there a way to argue this?
For reckless driving he said since his car is a suv with crap tires it screeches during turns is this enough of an arguement?

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 PM

2011_C350
With all due respect....fry your friend for speeding in a school zone. WTF?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
not really, laws are really strict when it comes to school/construction zones, your best be would be getting a traffic lawyer to fight the case for you. then you would avoid the points and insurance increases, but have to pay court cost
Old 05-17-2011, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 Black on Black
Originally Posted by Richie999
With all due respect....fry your friend for speeding in a school zone. WTF?
well school just got out and there wasnt really much traffic the street is a 35mph zone and 25 when children are present people are just used to the 35 mph zone
Old 05-17-2011, 09:38 PM

2011 C300 Sport
have your friend do some burnouts screaming "motha fu*k tha police!!!" (in a school zone at 3:01) and shooting a pistol into the air, it'll take everyone's mind off the whole speeding ticket thing.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
Reckless driving in California is a misdemeanor and the citing officer has the right to either issue a ticket to the offender or take them into custody. Reckless driving has at least 5 days in jail, sometimes up to 90 days, and or fines somewhere between $500 and $5000 or both.

He was caught driving 15 mph over the required speed limit so there's no point of arguing his case. Your friend broke the law and blaming his tires for producing the screeching sound while he was driving is a lame excuse. Pay the fines and learn from this incident.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Mixedfruits
he was going 40
and taking minors
Argue what? By your own words (and apparently, his), he did it. If he's adult enough to drive a car and even be entrusted to carry children, he should man up, pay the ticket, and learn a lesson. Children try to get out of getting caught. Adults take responsibility.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 Black on Black
Originally Posted by AskDrTodd
have your friend do some burnouts screaming "motha fu*k tha police!!!" (in a school zone at 3:01) and shooting a pistol into the air, it'll take everyone's mind off the whole speeding ticket thing.
now this is some great advice haha
Old 05-17-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
Lawyer up, and good. And even then the cost are going to be really steep. He broke the law and should be responsible for his actions. Chances are not favorable for a happy outcome.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 Black on Black
Originally Posted by ZeroSeVen
Reckless driving in California is a misdemeanor and the citing officer has the right to either issue a ticket to the offender or take them into custody. Reckless driving has at least 5 days in jail, sometimes up to 90 days, and or fines somewhere between $500 and $5000 or both.

He was caught driving 15 mph over the required speed limit so there's no point of arguing his case. Your friend broke the law and blaming his tires for producing the screeching sound while he was driving is a lame excuse. Pay the fines and learn from this incident.
yeah well idk what the "reckless driving was for" he said screeching during a turn, but the 15mph does make sense lol
Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 Black on Black
Originally Posted by Mka77
Lawyer up, and good. And even then the cost are going to be really steep. He broke the law and should be responsible for his actions. Chances are not favorable for a happy outcome.
damn pooper haha was worth a try im just telling him to try to argue to make him a bit more confident hes gona get a spanking from his mommy
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by AskDrTodd
have your friend do some burnouts screaming "motha fu*k tha police!!!" (in a school zone at 3:01) and shooting a pistol into the air...
Now THAT'S funny! I literally started laughing out loud at your NWA quote. Reminds me of a Chris Rock skit.

MixedFruits, sorry, but reckless driving is right up there with "exhibition of speed". It all boils down to the officer's judgment so there's no real recourse other than begging the judge for leniency. Does your buddy have a clean record or does he already have recent tickets? That'll dictate a lot.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 Black on Black
Originally Posted by Doanster
Now THAT'S funny! I literally started laughing out loud at your NWA quote. Reminds me of a Chris Rock skit.

MixedFruits, sorry, but reckless driving is right up there with "exhibition of speed". It all boils down to the officer's judgment so there's no real recourse other than begging the judge for leniency. Does your buddy have a clean record or does he already have recent tickets? That'll dictate a lot.
not a clean record ... he was caught speeding alot on his permit and accually lost his license before I think
Old 05-17-2011, 10:39 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Well recently my friend got a ticket for:
Reckless Driving

Speeding in a school zone e.g 25mph while children are present 35 when not, he was going 40

and taking minors

For reckless driving he said since his car is a suv with crap tires it screeches during turns is this enough of an arguement?

any help would be greatly appreciated
You didn't mention the cell phone.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 Black on Black
Originally Posted by RLE
You didn't mention the cell phone.
what cell phone 0.o I said he called me 20 min after the incident lol
Old 05-17-2011, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
Even with a really good lawyer, his prior record may have already doomed him for the full penalty.

Last edited by Mka77; 05-18-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:49 PM

C204
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Argue what? By your own words (and apparently, his), he did it. If he's adult enough to drive a car and even be entrusted to carry children, he should man up, pay the ticket, and learn a lesson. Children try to get out of getting caught. Adults take responsibility.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
Yeah...he's screwed. Lol.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 PM

C300
Getting a lawyer is not worth the costs. Like others have said, pay the ticket and take it in as a wake up call, like driving more responsibly. There are times when it's fun to gun it or go over the speed limits, but at a 25mph zone with kids is not one of them.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:18 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
not a clean record ... he was caught speeding alot on his permit and accually lost his license before I think

Put a fork in 'em... he's done. I know everyone's preaching to you (your buddy), but in this case, it's absolutely deserved. If he had a clean record, the reckless driving would've almost certainly been dropped in lieu of heavy fines for the school zone infraction. As it stands, claiming "My SUV tires suck!" will probably make it worse for him because it'll just reinforce that he's still showing blatant disregard for his actions.

And no... I'm not some goody goody. I speed all the time... as the conditions allow. No red-light racing, no weaving in and out just to get one car length ahead. Last ticket I got was over four years ago... 77 in a 55 (freeway). Not another car in sight, but alas, I was picked like a booger. Went to court, got 50% off, paid, went home.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 PM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, P1, MM, Wood, Heated FS, DIY rearview camera. 2002 QX4
Years ago I heard just because tire screech, it is enough for police to write the driver a ticket: unsafe driving.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Oh come on, everyone on here with the, you broke the law, bend over attitude. You mean to tell me that you have stopped completely at every stop sign, waited 3 seconds at a red light before turning right, and never gone over the speed limit? I drive 5-10mph over the speed limit most of the time too, and he was only going over the speed limit by 5mph. However, what does sound fishy is the "reckless driving" citation. Come on man, officers don't just give it out to people because they are having a bad day.

My guess, your friend floored it around a turn, screeching his tires and got to 40mph in like 2 seconds, saw the cop, pulled off, but the cop already got him on laser. Even if thats not what he told you, that is almost certainly what probably happened. We all make mistakes. If he has a clean record have him argue, they will probably drop the reckless driving and turn it into some hefty fine for a minor infraction.

You can try your luck with a lawyer, but I never used one. Tell him to look around for lawyers that are free unless they get it reduced, they mostly give free consultations and what they possibly can do for you, or they will tell you that you are effed and to run along...
Old 05-18-2011, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 Black on Black
Originally Posted by jctevere
Oh come on, everyone on here with the, you broke the law, bend over attitude. You mean to tell me that you have stopped completely at every stop sign, waited 3 seconds at a red light before turning right, and never gone over the speed limit? I drive 5-10mph over the speed limit most of the time too, and he was only going over the speed limit by 5mph. However, what does sound fishy is the "reckless driving" citation. Come on man, officers don't just give it out to people because they are having a bad day.

My guess, your friend floored it around a turn, screeching his tires and got to 40mph in like 2 seconds, saw the cop, pulled off, but the cop already got him on laser. Even if thats not what he told you, that is almost certainly what probably happened. We all make mistakes. If he has a clean record have him argue, they will probably drop the reckless driving and turn it into some hefty fine for a minor infraction.

You can try your luck with a lawyer, but I never used one. Tell him to look around for lawyers that are free unless they get it reduced, they mostly give free consultations and what they possibly can do for you, or they will tell you that you are effed and to run along...
yeah no lasar or radar used I looked at his ticket when he was ... crying haha
Old 05-18-2011, 12:57 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by jctevere
Did you not read the posts above? No one is claiming to never speed, perform rolling stops, or run yellow/red lights. What people are saying is that if you get caught, pay the friggin' Piper.
And you're probably absolutely right about his rate of acceleration/deceleration, regardless of the actual speed that was caught on the radar gun. No officer in his right mind would give a reckless driving ticket for such a small overage amt. I'm sure they get slapped by the judges just as much as offenders do for being overzealous.
This reminds me of a friend of mine 20+ yrs ago who got a ticket in his Scirocco for 80mph in a 55. Not too bad, right? So why did he get the book thrown at him? This was what was written on the ticket: "I clocked Mr. Jones at 80mph... with all four wheels locked and much smoke coming from the tires."
Old 05-18-2011, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Doanster
Did you not read the posts above? No one is claiming to never speed, perform rolling stops, or run yellow/red lights. What people are saying is that if you get caught, pay the friggin' Piper.
And you're probably absolutely right about his rate of acceleration/deceleration, regardless of the actual speed that was caught on the radar gun. No officer in his right mind would give a reckless driving ticket for such a small overage amt. I'm sure they get slapped by the judges just as much as offenders do for being overzealous.
This reminds me of a friend of mine 20+ yrs ago who got a ticket in his Scirocco for 80mph in a 55. Not too bad, right? So why did he get the book thrown at him? This was what was written on the ticket: "I clocked Mr. Jones at 80mph... with all four wheels locked and much smoke coming from the tires."
Yes, I did read your post. But you were the only level headed person, so my post was directed more towards everyone else. Pretty funny bit about your friend. I got caught doing 78 in a 55 once, luckily because it was my first offense the courts dropped it to a failure to yield to emergency vehicles with a hefty $395 fine and a $85 court surcharge!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Friend got a ticket advice please