C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2012 3 Series Spotting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 120 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
2012 3 Series Spotting

Today, I was driving on the 101 East and right before the 405 south interchange, I saw a BMW. I drove faster to take a look to see that the trunk lid was camouflaged in some spiral pattern. The BMW badge was covered up as well as some lines underneath the tail lights. I couldn't take a picture, but by the size, it was definitely a 3 series. Everything else was exposed! It shared similar tail lights to the current 5 series and the front had a more upright and larger grille with similar headlamps to the current 5 series. Anyways, what I am trying to say is that it looks like it will be competition for the 2012 c class. The new 3 series that I saw had larger wrap around tail lamps (which came onto the boot lid) and the front was heavily revised to look larger and more pronounced than the smaller looking 2012 C class. So, if you are into looks and considering a new 3 series, wait for the 2012 and compare it to the 2012 C because the new 3 definitely looks bigger and better than its predecessor.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
....and of the two cars, it will be the only one with a manual transmission choice! But, I understand it is a 2013 model year.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300, 1971 911E Targa
Ha! I was heading down the 15 one day and saw a camo'd out 997 or 991 whatever the new one is. I sped up to get a photo, tried to take it but the Blackberry wouldn't work right (stupid updated software sucks). Anyways, by the time I got the phone to work the guy slowed way down and took the next exit....

The perks of living in So Cal I guess....
Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Surprised it's still camo'd considering full details are already available. Must be the delay in US availability. Apparently the most noticeable change is with squared off angel eyes. Gotta switch it up every so often I guess. Keeps the aftermarket alive and chasing the next new thing. I can hear it now on the forums: "I'm the first e90 with f30 angel eyes. Kneel before Zod!!!"
Old 06-28-2011, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I must say that I am very on the fence about BMW. When I see them driving on the road, I think they are great cars, and one that I always keep at the top of my list when it comes around to getting a new car. But I just can't seem to get myself into one. Perhaps if I didn't live on Long Island where the BMW dealers are snobby as hell. "We don't discount BMW here, we are not a Mercedes or Infiniti dealer, we are BMW..." I was like... are you joking? Taking my business elsewhere. When it comes down to it, the bottom line is the bottom line.

Besides, I'm not really a fan of the way they drive either. When I test drove the 3-series the brakes were touchy as hell, a slight tap and your going through the window. His pitch, "Nobody has brakes like a BMW" my take - unrefined crap. I love all my mercedes (SL, ML, C-class) they are the perfect blend of luxury and sport IMO.

The only car that might redeem BMW in my view is the new 5-series that just came out. I already see a TON of them in my area. Great looking car, have yet to drive it though. But if they are looking for sticker and beyond, they can go scratch. Also, the fact that I consider myself a car buff and have a hard time distinguishing between a 5-series and 7-series until I get up close doesn't help. Heck, the entire BMW line is starting to look nearly identical, not my cup of tea.

I can respect Sportstick and his passion for a manual option. But for me, its not a deal breaker. I had a mustang gt stick for quite a few years, it was fun, but with the commutes that I do and in the volume traffic, I couldn't bear. Besides, I think that the 7G tronic does a great job (when used to the driving profile of a maniac). And I still have access to a nice manual stick for a weekend getaway car if I should desire.

Last edited by jctevere; 06-28-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43
Chances are if you saw one doing test miles under camo, it is probably at least a 2013, 2013.5
Old 06-28-2011, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c350
+1 on what jctevere said , whenever i see a BMw driving around i thinks its a good driving car but empty inside . No passion just geas and pulleys and no emotion . I have two in my family and i don't like driving either as i feel like its being done for me and that gets real boring real fast . I do like the look of the 1 series and z4 but beside those two i could are less about the styling . Just my opinion here . I would rather an Audi, Infiniti , or a Lexus over a BMW but thats just me .
Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by hitokiri89
+1 on what jctevere said , whenever i see a BMw driving around i thinks its a good driving car but empty inside . No passion just geas and pulleys and no emotion . I have two in my family and i don't like driving either as i feel like its being done for me and that gets real boring real fast . I do like the look of the 1 series and z4 but beside those two i could are less about the styling . Just my opinion here . I would rather an Audi, Infiniti , or a Lexus over a BMW but thats just me .
Maybe I could forgive you for saying Audi, but Lexus and Infiniti over BMW?!?! You must be smoking more than tires in your neighborhood.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:35 PM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
....and of the two cars, it will be the only one with a manual transmission choice! But, I understand it is a 2013 model year.

Originally Posted by jctevere
Also, the fact that I consider myself a car buff and have a hard time distinguishing between a 5-series and 7-series until I get up close doesn't help.
This is annoying me a lot as well
Old 07-10-2011, 11:39 PM

2011 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by ImmaBeSmug2
Maybe I could forgive you for saying Audi, but Lexus and Infiniti over BMW?!?! You must be smoking more than tires in your neighborhood.
Agree there.

I still love how Bimmers drive I have felt quite the opposite of an emotion-less experience whenever I am in one. For me when picking the C300 (haha mine is still not in yet and I already have almost a 100 posts) the other main competition was a 328i. I test drove both in stick and thought the BMW had more kick to it and more sporty feel but thats what in the end they are designed for whereas Benz tries to err to luxury. I picked c300 in end cuz of superior looks with 4 seater capacity (4 seater 3 series looks too common to me) with performance to boot!