C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-03-2015, 02:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications and General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Honda Accord EX-L versus Mercedes Benz C300 Sport

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chevrolet Cavalier
Honda Accord EX-L versus Mercedes Benz C300 Sport

Hello,

First time poster here so please excuse any ignorance on my style of posting or questions.

Here's the deal: I test drove both the Honda Accord and Mercedes C300 Sport yesterday and have a tough decision to make. I liked both cars, but the Mercedes was the clear winner.

I have wanted a Mercedes my entire life and have finally reached a point where owning one is possible. Still, I don't know if it is the best choice for me.

I drive 50 miles to work each way on an interstate and then park my car outside all day in the Texas sun. I do have a garage at home where the car will primarily sit. I put roughly 25,000 miles a year on my car. I would like to have my next car for 8 years or 200,000 miles.

My question to you, and I know that this being a Mercedes forum the advice will be a bit biased, is do you think it is a good idea to get a Mercedes given my commute and the mileage or do you think I am being stupid and should just get the Honda?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
You live once only.

Originally Posted by rfums2004
Hello,

First time poster here so please excuse any ignorance on my style of posting or questions.

Here's the deal: I test drove both the Honda Accord and Mercedes C300 Sport yesterday and have a tough decision to make. I liked both cars, but the Mercedes was the clear winner.

I have wanted a Mercedes my entire life and have finally reached a point where owning one is possible. Still, I don't know if it is the best choice for me.

I drive 50 miles to work each way on an interstate and then park my car outside all day in the Texas sun. I do have a garage at home where the car will primarily sit. I put roughly 25,000 miles a year on my car. I would like to have my next car for 8 years or 200,000 miles.

My question to you, and I know that this being a Mercedes forum the advice will be a bit biased, is do you think it is a good idea to get a Mercedes given my commute and the mileage or do you think I am being stupid and should just get the Honda?

Old 07-03-2011, 08:50 AM

W204 2010 C300 Sport/6M
Agreed. I would much rather drive the 7 miles to work in my Benz than the Kia I used to drive. I feel much safer too.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c350
If driving a Mercedes is something you have always wanted than I say go ahead and scratch the itch . The Honda probably is more sensible , but what matters is not having regret your decision everyday on your way to work . I say get the car satisfies you the most . Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Have both a 2010 C300 Sport and a 2009 Honda Accord. Frankly, the W204 is clearly the superior vehicle, however its the Accord that gets driven far more often. Here are the Pros and Cons only of the Honda:

Pros: Better gas mileage by far, better steering (its true), much more room especially in the back, larger trunk, costs much less
Cons: NOISY, cheap interior materials, poor ergonomic design, limited seat adjustment, no hi-tech electronics, moronic air conditioner system, limited torque (safety factor when passing), hard jarring suspension, door locks and gas filler door always have to be manually activated, requires twice the service although at half the cost

The Honda is the one the family always jumps into for shopping, cross town runs or even 3 hour trips into the mountains with terrible roads and traffic, as it is much more comfortable for 4 or 5 people, is more economical and hold much more luggage.

That said, you will always smile when you get into your Merc to go or come back from work every day. The quietness, fantastic ride, creature comforts like the air conditioning system (set and forget), the stereo (ABSOLUTELY get the HK), the driver electronics, automatic wipers, seat adjustment and most of all, SAFELY will make the commute SO much more pleasant. Get the UMI and an iPod Classic, stuff it with your favorites, and enjoy your drive, something that is just NOT possible in the Honda, it's too basic and harsh.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Hello,

Look into the mirror and ask yourself the central question...."why do I want a Mercedes Benz?"

There several answers you can group into the "status/self image" category...so others will envy me, because I think it affects how women/men (take your choice) see me, it makes me look "cool", etc. If you find those coming to the top, this is the furthest away from a rational decision and you have to decide if you wish to spend dollars to indulge in those fantasies, which you might be able to satisfy less expensively in other ways.

If the issue is the engineering and design of the car, the refined feel of the powertrain/chassis (my daughter has a relatively new Accord, so I get the degree of difference here), and your enjoyment of the design, as when buying art for your home, then you can balance enjoying those attributes against the additional cost. Those pleasures are not equally available in less costly cars, so their enjoyment will cost the price of admission to premium luxury cars, MB or comparable. Accords are outstanding cars, at their price and purpose, but they simply don't provide the same experience.

If you think you will be treated like a king at a luxury car dealer, please reconsider. My daughter gets far better, friendlier, higher value service at her Honda dealer than what the vast majority of MB owners report here.

Safety? The MB has more advanced features, and is an IIHS "Top Pick" for overall crash. Accord just missed by having an "Acceptable" versus "Good" in just one category - roof crush, so factor in the chance of a very intrusive rollover, or otherwise there is no clear difference in your life expectancy in either one.

Economics? Honda wins for 1) initial cost, 2) insurance cost, 3) fuel cost, 4) maintenance/repair cost, and 5) depreciation.

Durability? Probably a draw and most dependent on how you care for the car. Highway miles are the easiest, and both have examples of excellent long term service.

So, I think it comes down to, on one hand, one could have a significant need to boost self-esteem, which one believes an external object or someone else's approval can do, or, on the other, just really loves being behind the wheel of a superbly engineered and beautifully designed machine every day and can appreciate the difference, much the same way a "foodie" truly understands a world class restaurant versus a chain....or some degree of any/all of these reasons for purchasing an MB. In either event, spend some of that "mirror time" and you need to decide if you are able and willing to spend the dollars for those real or imagined rewards. For whatever reason you choose, if you do select MB, you will spend more now and later!

Good luck with your decision!

Edit: I have a much less negative evaluation of the Accord on the items noted above.
Here is another point of view.
http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/...a-accord-sedan

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-03-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Add Accord reference.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Just drove to the office, not in the W204 or the Accord, but in a Belgian-built beauty Ford Mondeo, my daily driver. Quieter than the C300, better steering and ride, more comfortable and still waiting for its first B Service after 7 years. Got me thinking...

Perhaps rfums2004 should check out the Ford Fusion Sport. Same fuel economy as the C300, C350 performance with faster by half a second 0 to 60 MPH, roomier, smoother ride, great steering, available with AWD and by far better electronics with Sync and My Ford Touch. Equipped costs about $10k less than the Merc similarly-equipped. Some come with 18" rims standard.

Although not the Fusion Sport, a Hybrid version is available that gets gets about 40 MPG average.

Interior materials better than the Honda but not up to the Merc standard (but the Mondeo is actually much better than the C300). Better ergonomics than the Honda, maybe the electronics are too high-tech compared to the W204. Exterior styling stinks (IMO). Not a Mercedes for sure.

The Ford Mondeo ALWAYS puts a smile on my face twice a day. The Fusion Sport could be a much better option than the Accord.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
The Ford Mondeo ALWAYS puts a smile on my face twice a day. The Fusion Sport could be a much better option than the Accord.
+1

Fusion is also a very good product in its segment, but in the US, the current one is just at the end of its life cycle. Semi-camouflaged pre-production models of the new one, essentially the European Mondeo, are driving around highways near Detroit. With Ford's overall track record (not counting both the dual clutch trans and MyTouch electronic controls they just launched poorly in Focus/Fiesta and are working feverishly to correct for 2012), the next car should be even better!

Also, in the Accord category, one should at least consider the Sonata, ranging from turbo to hybrid models. It has garnered high praises in its segment from several 3rd party critics. But, the OP still has to come to grips with whether or not an MB makes sense for them.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:15 PM

C300, 330i, MDX
I have wanted a Mercedes my entire life and have finally reached a point where owning one is possible.
NOW is the time...
Old 07-03-2011, 12:45 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
Honestly, I wouldne even consider the mercedes if you plan on 8 years and 200,000 miles. I had 65k on my 08c350 when I gave it in on the 2011c350 I got and the car wasnt all that bad w that mileage, but around 100k its build quality gets poor, my mom had her 04 clk320 from new til 104k and it was tired. The maintenence is KILLER, cant do anything other than basic brakes and oil changes w out going to stealership, and the cost factor is huge compared to a honda. I like the new KIAs too, and any car can be customized a bit to be a little flashy and have a look. The right wheels and a tint job make all the difference in just about any new car, and like others said even fords and others have great electronics and options, many have better options than MB has, and MUCH cheaper, for instance we have to pay extra for LED lights and mazdas, kias, and other have them standard for alot less..........
Old 07-03-2011, 01:58 PM

c300 sports
I live in texas too.. Used to drive accord ex but was never happy.. I drive 110 miles everyday and am very happy with mercedes
Old 07-03-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
First off congrats on being able to own a MB.

Secondly, comparing a MB to a honda in my opinion is horrible. Its like comparing apples to oranges. They are two totally different cars that are not comparable. Period.

Now I have never owned a honda but my aunt does - I tried to get her to buy a MB over a fully loaded Honda Accord. She now regrets buying the honda. Its a horrible driving experience. It can't turn for damn (its like steering a boat) even though it has a decent engine it lacks any real power. Honda accords weren't really made for horsepower anyway. You will find they hold up well and value but MB's are by far a greater build quality in my opinion and hold value well as well. She is starting to hear loose bolts and rattling in the cockpit where as I don't have any issues with rattles or noises.

Her next car will be a MB. If you buy a C300 you won't regret it. That's one opinion.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:15 PM

Chevrolet Cavalier
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Look into the mirror and ask yourself the central question...."why do I want a Mercedes Benz?"

There several answers you can group into the "status/self image" category...so others will envy me, because I think it affects how women/men (take your choice) see me, it makes me look "cool", etc. If you find those coming to the top, this is the furthest away from a rational decision and you have to decide if you wish to spend dollars to indulge in those fantasies, which you might be able to satisfy less expensively in other ways.

If the issue is the engineering and design of the car, the refined feel of the powertrain/chassis (my daughter has a relatively new Accord, so I get the degree of difference here), and your enjoyment of the design, as when buying art for your home, then you can balance enjoying those attributes against the additional cost. Those pleasures are not equally available in less costly cars, so their enjoyment will cost the price of admission to premium luxury cars, MB or comparable. Accords are outstanding cars, at their price and purpose, but they simply don't provide the same experience.

If you think you will be treated like a king at a luxury car dealer, please reconsider. My daughter gets far better, friendlier, higher value service at her Honda dealer than what the vast majority of MB owners report here.

Safety? The MB has more advanced features, and is an IIHS "Top Pick" for overall crash. Accord just missed by having an "Acceptable" versus "Good" in just one category - roof crush, so factor in the chance of a very intrusive rollover, or otherwise there is no clear difference in your life expectancy in either one.

Economics? Honda wins for 1) initial cost, 2) insurance cost, 3) fuel cost, 4) maintenance/repair cost, and 5) depreciation.

Durability? Probably a draw and most dependent on how you care for the car. Highway miles are the easiest, and both have examples of excellent long term service.

So, I think it comes down to, on one hand, one could have a significant need to boost self-esteem, which one believes an external object or someone else's approval can do, or, on the other, just really loves being behind the wheel of a superbly engineered and beautifully designed machine every day and can appreciate the difference, much the same way a "foodie" truly understands a world class restaurant versus a chain....or some degree of any/all of these reasons for purchasing an MB. In either event, spend some of that "mirror time" and you need to decide if you are able and willing to spend the dollars for those real or imagined rewards. For whatever reason you choose, if you do select MB, you will spend more now and later!

Good luck with your decision!

Edit: I have a much less negative evaluation of the Accord on the items noted above.
Here is another point of view.
http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/...a-accord-sedan

First, thank you to everyone who took the time to read my thread and post a comment. However, this post was the most helpful advice.

I genuinely do like the design and style of the Mercedes. I have always been drawn to the Mercedes in ways I haven't been drawn to BMW/Lexus/Audi/Porsche/etc. As a golf enthusiast, the constant barrage of Mercedes ads on golf telecasts has also probably entered into my subconsciousness.

When I sit down and "really" think about why I want a Mercedes, the answer is to make up for the time I spent driving crappy cars. Growing up, I was lucky enough to have family members who would give me hand-me-down cars, but unlucky enough that these cars tended to make me the owner of the "worst" car in the lot and subject to ridicule by my peers. Now that I am older, more mature and successful, I can honestly say that my self worth has very little to do with the car I drive. I get some good-natured ribbing from my friends about my 2002 Chevy Cavalier, but only because they can't believe I still drive that thing. I have worked very hard to get to where I am in life and along the way I made a "promise" to myself that I would get a Mercedes some day.

Nevertheless, that probably isn't the best reason to buy a Mercedes. I do not claim to be a car enthusiast and I did find it difficult to appreciate a huge difference between the Honda Accord and the Mercedes C300 Sport. Both have leather interiors, both have V6 engines and both rode very smooth compared to my 2002 Chevy Cavalier (surprise!). The price difference between the two is about 8-10K. The question I have to ask myself is whether or not I am willing to pay that extra money for a difference that others, but not myself, are able to discern. The answer is probably no.

I started playing golf at the age of 10, played competitive golf in high school and still have a single digit handicap. I pay a lot of money to belong to a country club, but I have a significant appreciation for golf and can discern the difference between a well maintained golf course of private club caliber versus even a high quality daily fee course. That said, there are plenty of people at my club who have little appreciation/skill for golf and belong to the club for status/self esteem issues. I feel sorry for these people much like the true Mercedes enthusiasts would probably feel sorry for me if I bought a Mercedes.

As an aside, I did get much better service at the Honda dealership than the Mercedes dealership. The Honda salesman was knowledgeable, professional and took the time to listen to what I wanted. The Mercedes salesman was none of those things and only interested in pushing whatever inventory he had onto me.

I think I'm going down to the Honda dealership tomorrow (they are open July 4th) to get my Accord.

Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:17 PM

2012 CLS550, sold 11 E350
Is this a joke? Dude dont compare a honda to Benz. At least look at the Acura TSX vs C300. Accords are for grannies. I bought a fully loaded TSX in 05 for 28K. I also test drove the fully loaded accord at that time. The price difference was maybe 2k id remember correctly. The Acura was a great entry level luxury car, with great gas mileage and no major mechanical issues for the 100k miles I owned it. New brakes and tires, thats all it ever needed. Another plus to TSX is theres not to many on the road compared to Accords. Its your money though and taste. If you like the accord go for it. I think you will regret it.

Last edited by davidbijan; 07-03-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:25 PM

'09 C350 DD/ '10 M5
Wow 8 years? I have never owned a car longer than 1 year......
Old 07-03-2011, 05:12 PM

2010 C63
Like you, I drive 25k per year. A few years ago I traded in my infinity with 230k miles on it for an Altima for some of the same reasons you mentioned above. I hated driving that thing, even with the semi peppy v6. As you said, life is too short to buy crappy cars. Take a look at the lease returns on texascarsdirect.com. I ended up getting a nice used c350 for $2k more than I paid for the damn Altima. A nice sales person is a good reason to buy, but your not buying the salesperson, its the product. And I'm in sales fwiw. Best wishes.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Yes, glovemoney is absolutely right. The bottom line: Buy something that makes you smile every time you drive it.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
Yes, glovemoney is absolutely right. The bottom line: Buy something that makes you smile every time you drive it.
+1.....if cars matter that much to you, as they do to many of us. Rfums2004 doesn't smile at cars...he smiles at golf. He'll be happier overall with a comfortable, safe, reliable Asian car and a new set of clubs or another year's membership at the best golf course in town.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:46 PM

2009 C300 Luxury P1 w/Multimedia, Arctic White
Well said Sportstick. Not everyone gives a sh*t about what kind of car they drive. If I were a person that was riding the fence between a Mercedes or Honda, I'd go with the Honda hands down. Besides my W204, I have a 06 Pilot that is creeping up on 100K miles and never been in the shop (knock on wood) other than for oil changes. Now, as much as I love and appreciate my Mercedes Benz, I know damn good and well that I won't be so lucky with my C300. I'm NOT suggesting that Honda's are engineered better because they aren't. I do however believe the systems on a MB are more complex therefore more suseptible to failures. I mean when you consider how many moving and electrical parts exist in any car manufactured today, it's pretty amazing they work at all. With all that said, go buy the Accord and don't look back.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:01 PM

2010 C300, 1971 911E Targa
$8K difference between the two cars is only the cost of the car not the maintenance, you need to look at the cost of ownership of the two. That's the real cost comparison.

And FWIW, I drive 40K miles a year and wanted something I liked, and enjoyed to drive since I spend so much time in it. My mistake was getting an Audi the first time around. We have a Pathfinder also, and it's been pretty much bullet proof for the time we've owned it.... I wanted a German car and I've already owned a BMW so MB it was. I've ridden in a new Honda Accord and it wasn't bad at all, just not my cup of tea.

If you do chose a MB get a used 2010 and up the warranty to 135K that'll cover the main components for 5 years in you driving....
Old 07-04-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C350, 2011 BMW 328xi
Give a few weeks and you will regret not getting the Benz. You will not have buyer's remorse after the Benz is in your driveway.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
2011 C300 Sport, P1, MM, Wood, Heated FS, DIY rearview camera. 2002 QX4
Maybe the better way is to rent an Accord for a week then C300 for another week (not sure rentable or not) to decide.

I never wanted any car other than Japanese. New car I bought are 94 Altima (gone), 96 Maxima (gone), 00 RX300 and 02 QX4 (my daily car). Three months ago I suddenly decided to try a new car. Started with Prius but my daughter does not like it. She only wants the three-pointed star. We didn't even look at BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc. Went straight with C300 and got it. So far no regret. Every time I got in, I feel I am kind of a different person, really enjoy it.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 AM

2008 C350
Great advice here, Sportstick and Bill in particular IMO.

My only comment is:

Can you comfortably afford all the suggested maintenance? You can have it done at an independent shop, you don't HAVE to pay dealer prices, but it will still almost certainly be more than the Honda.

The C class is very reliable, one of the highest rated cars in its class. It will last you 200k miles and beyond, no doubt about it. But only if you perform all scheduled maintenance. And, in fact, go beyond a bit: Mercedes has built a great 7 speed transmission for these cars but originally they bought-in to this idea of a fill-once crankcase that never needed new fluid.

After years of early failures under warranty they began suggesting a single drain/fill at 39k miles. Many here have determined -- though only at 25k myself I am not one of them -- that their fluid really needs to be changed on a regular basis, not the single drain/fill that MB suggests. Many have taken to a drain/fill every 35k miles as they were bothered by how dirty the fluid was on that first change at 39k.

If you can afford all the maintenace, the higher sticker, probably higher insurance premiums, and premium gas -- that is, if you can truly afford the Benz TCO -- then go for it.

EDIT:

I didn't see your follow-up where you mentioned you'd probably go for the Honda. To everybody here who is insulting you for "comparing a Honda to a Mercedes", ignore them, they're being ignorant and judgmental.

The Honda will serve you well. It will be such a fantastic upgrade from your current car. My thinking is: Right now you're driving 25k miles. That won't always be the case. When you retire or slow down in your career, or just happen to work closer to home, buy your Benz then. You can care for it and baby it and it'll last you, honestly, the rest of your life.

Congrats on the new Accord! You'll love it!

Last edited by encoder; 07-04-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:58 AM

08 C350 Sport
MB is way superior to any Japanese cars. All Germans (Except for probably Audi) have better build quality. You can drive BMW or MB for years and car will feel like it is brand new. Even Acuras or Lexuses in 5 years feel weak, cracks, body rigidity, squeaks, you can feel that Japanese age quickly. In the same time mechanically they are really reliable, more than BMW or MB. I owned Acuras, Hondas, Mazdas and now I have MB and BMW and will never go back to Japanese cars again.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Serpent S966
.............. I think I'm going down to the Honda dealership tomorrow (they are open July 4th) to get my Accord.

Thanks again.
Congratulations, you made the right decision choosing Japanese car based on your long-term and high millage commitment. Any brand of european car doesn't come in one sentence with reliability, yet.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Honda Accord EX-L versus Mercedes Benz C300 Sport