C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2009 vs. 2011 seat tracks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 4Matic
2009 vs. 2011 seat tracks

Hi all,

This is my first post here! Could use some help. Let me first say I'm 6 foot 3 and I'm all leg. I got a certified 2009 C300 Sport 4Matic (first Benz!) a couple of weeks ago and have been struggling with the seat position. It just doesn't seem to go far enough back. I should have noticed that when I bought it, yes, fair.

It's in for touch up paint they agreed to when I bought it. My loaner is an 11 C300 Sport. The seats seem to go back a solid 2 inches further, or maybe they go down more - but my leg works at much better angle.

The dealership's service center INSISTS there is no difference in the seats and they're going to see if something is wrong with mine.

The dealer said:

1. The 4MATIC makes no difference - my seats should go just as far back as the RWD loaner.

2. The seats have not changed between the 2009/2011 years (the two cars in question).

3. My loaner is indeed a sport, and my car is indeed a sport, so there is no confounding thing where I'm comparing sport to lux.

4. MAYBE they changed the manufacturer of the seat tracks.

5. MAYBE something is stuck in my seat tracks.

6. The fact that my car has memory seats and the loaner does not makes no difference.

Can someone PLEASE help me figure this out, while they're looking at my car for other things? I'd really like to be more comfortable in my car. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2011, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
6'2" here....mostly femur, but I have found a good position for me...

The first question is to document if the perceived difference is real or not. Bring a tape measure when you return the loaner and compare the cars from the face of the accelerator to the seat bite (that fixed point where the seat cushion meets the bottom of the seat back), with both seats at full rear and full down. Also, measure the length (depth front to rear) of the seat cushion, just to be sure.) If they are the same, you need to play some more with your adjustments.

If they are different, and you can determine the tracks are different, the dealer will likely not want to change your seat tracks, as it takes the car out of compliance with the FMVSS (federal safety standards) to which it was certified. Here's why: When vehicles are tested for compliance with FMVSS 108 for frontal impact, the seats are positioned at the mid-point of the fore/aft distance on the tracks. As the tracks get longer, the mid-point moves rearward, so if MB made a change to the OE design, they certified the car with the seat effectively further away from the air bag. Changing the seat track in a prior year car would represent a non-certified configuration. You could buy parts and do the work elsewhere, but if you wind up being further away, you would also deteriorate to an unknown degree the air bag performance in a frontal impact, meeting the bag later in the event, possibly once deflation begins.

Hope it's just an adjustment!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43
Are there multiple mounting holes in the base rails? could one be "one notch further forward" than the other?

But, like sportstick mentioned - the best place to start is to measure, so you know what you're dealing with.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:35 PM

2009 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by blue00r6
Are there multiple mounting holes in the base rails? could one be "one notch further forward" than the other?

But, like sportstick mentioned - the best place to start is to measure, so you know what you're dealing with.
I'm so sorry to ask dumb questions but how do I do this? What am I measuring? The length of the track? Mounting holes in base rail ... oy! HUH?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM

2009 C300 4Matic
Okay wait I'm starting to understand now ... seatback to pedal, from same position.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by 6foot3inaC
Okay wait I'm starting to understand now ... seatback to pedal, from same position.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 PM

2009 C300 4Matic
I'm coming up with about 47.5 inches. Can someone with access to an 09 please do this with seat all the way back and down ... And the front of the seat tilted all the way up to the top of the front of the gas pedal?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
In my 09, with the tape measure starting halfway up the face of the accelerator pedal, over the leading edge of the seat, back to the seat bite is 45". So, ask the Parts Department to identify the seat track parts for the different model years by part number, see if they are unique by year, and somehow not recommended or not available for cross-usage.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 PM

2009 C300 4Matic
I measured to the top of the front of the pedal ... So what's that? We aren't comparing apples! Thanks for trying ...
Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I measured to the top of the front of the pedal ... So what's that? We aren't comparing apples! Thanks for trying ...
Sorry...misunderstood your earlier writing...thought you were trying to reference front of seat...difference on the very vertical plane of the pedal is less than .25", so not significant to this issue.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Sportstick
6'2" here....mostly femur, but I have found a good position for me...

The first question is to document if the perceived difference is real or not. Bring a tape measure when you return the loaner and compare the cars from the face of the accelerator to the seat bite (that fixed point where the seat cushion meets the bottom of the seat back), with both seats at full rear and full down. Also, measure the length (depth front to rear) of the seat cushion, just to be sure.) If they are the same, you need to play some more with your adjustments.

If they are different, and you can determine the tracks are different, the dealer will likely not want to change your seat tracks, as it takes the car out of compliance with the FMVSS (federal safety standards) to which it was certified. Here's why: When vehicles are tested for compliance with FMVSS 108 for frontal impact, the seats are positioned at the mid-point of the fore/aft distance on the tracks. As the tracks get longer, the mid-point moves rearward, so if MB made a change to the OE design, they certified the car with the seat effectively further away from the air bag. Changing the seat track in a prior year car would represent a non-certified configuration. You could buy parts and do the work elsewhere, but if you wind up being further away, you would also deteriorate to an unknown degree the air bag performance in a frontal impact, meeting the bag later in the event, possibly once deflation begins.

Hope it's just an adjustment!
After slogging through all this, I remembered that in my W203 with memory seats there was a seat travel limit in the software that could be extended. Another dealer laptop item.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by RLE
After slogging through all this,
I am sure we are both glad we were not each other's writing instructor.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:41 PM

2009 C300 4Matic
I think our measurement are just not comparable ... they can't possibly be three inches different and make any sense! Also, my theory is that the seats go further DOWN, but not necessarily further BACK. Does this make ANY sense?

Could they have changed the seat track in response to the need for the left-knee airbag they added in 2010? Is this a software thing and my seat can be programmed to go back further?

Thank you to all who have contributed so far. I'll be VERY interested to see whether the dealer found something in my car in the morning ...
Old 07-11-2011, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Let's compare again...I had the seat fully rear, cushion fully down, and the tip of the tape measure on the accelerator pedal halfway up the pedal face (which I measured to confirm is less than .25" further rearward-in-car than the top of the pedal, so inconsequential). The other end of the tape was creased directly into the intersection of the rear end of the seat cushion and the lower end of the seat back. That overall distance is 45". With the addition of more air bags (knee), it is quite possible that the seat track was lengthened to push the mid-point test position rearward. That is why I suggested comparing part numbers for seat tracks for 09 vs. 11 model years after you do your own side-by-side measurement of the two cars when you return to the dealer.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:15 PM

2009 C300 4Matic
I think we did it the same way but because of the angle mine actually wrapped around the front of the seat, making my measurement longer. I'm kind of incompetent like that.

I think they probably had to do what you said - move the midpoint back because of the knee air bag. My question now is whether my car is electronically limited to where it is and it can be pushed back further. I will investigate what the deal is with the parts department tomorrow and report back.

P.S. What are my chances of my knee being injured in a head-on? Why did they have to add that bag?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
I think we did it the same way but because of the angle mine actually wrapped around the front of the seat, making my measurement longer. I'm kind of incompetent like that.

I think they probably had to do what you said - move the midpoint back because of the knee air bag. My question now is whether my car is electronically limited to where it is and it can be pushed back further. I will investigate what the deal is with the parts department tomorrow and report back.

P.S. What are my chances of my knee being injured in a head-on? Why did they have to add that bag?
Whatever your technique is, just bring the tape to the dealer and do both the same way, and you will have good data.

The purpose of the knee bag is not so much to protect the actual knee...that's just the part that makes contact. The goal is to protect the femur. As you move forward in car during a frontal impact, the forces loaded into the knee can fracture that long bone, and those can be very significant injuries, and if the femoral artery gets involved, even worse than that.

If, in fact, the cars have been changed since our 09 models, I would not recommend changing your current car. A huge amount of study goes into calibrating the particular size and rate of inflation for each air bag application, and if you extended the track, and then took full advantage of it, the possibility exists that your head/torso could punch right through the late stage of the bag inflation/deflation process (this happens in milliseconds), and engage the wheel, column, and windshield...to your detriment.