C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Will the pre-facelift w204 prices drop drastically when the new facelift is out?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Will the pre-facelift w204 prices drop drastically when the new facelift is out?

Hi,

In the market for an 08 C300 4MATIC for my first car, and am wondering if you think the 08-11 values will drop drastically when the new 2012s are out on the road here in America? My father seems to be half willing to buy this car for me and is making me feel very guilty about making him buy it for me and he thinks $23k is a lot for a first car because his was like $800, which is a fair point, but he does know I really want it. But anyway, if we buy one of these at that price and then all of sudden a few months later the prices are $5K less I will feel really bad.
I've been thinking of getting an old 190E because at the same time I don't want to spoil myself, but I do love the W204.

So two things,
do you think that me, a 17 year old driving an 08 C300 with around 50k on the clock is "bratty?"

and will the prices drop?

Conner
Old 07-25-2011, 10:56 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by doworklax09
Hi,

In the market for an 08 C300 4MATIC for my first car, and am wondering if you think the 08-11 values will drop drastically when the new 2012s are out on the road here in America? My father seems to be half willing to buy this car for me and is making me feel very guilty about making him buy it for me and he thinks $23k is a lot for a first car because his was like $800, which is a fair point, but he does know I really want it. But anyway, if we buy one of these at that price and then all of sudden a few months later the prices are $5K less I will feel really bad.
I've been thinking of getting an old 190E because at the same time I don't want to spoil myself, but I do love the W204.

So two things,
do you think that me, a 17 year old driving an 08 C300 with around 50k on the clock is "bratty?"

Conner
First, don't even think about a 190E unless it would be the last of the series because they were very unreliable. I had two.

W204 C prices have already dropped a huge amount due to dealer discounts on new cars driving used prices into the basement. And, the dealers have large numbers of 2011s sitting out back they have to bail out of somehow before the 2012s start showing up. But, most of the unsold cars are the usual silver/black with minimum options.

A local dealer has a year's supply of unsold cars right now when it should be two months.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic
If your dad is willing to buy you that car then be grateful. Take care of the car, detail it show him that you appreciate what he gave you.

Pay him back by being a responsible driver, he will be happy making that decision. To add to RLE's point, if there is a surplus today, the delaer will have a harder time when the 2012's are out.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
GLE 300d (v167)
Agreed with pay him back by being a responsible driver but seriously, why do you want a Benz as your first car? Agreed it's a safe and stable choice, but the stereotypes attached to it definitely don't suit someone your age and like you said, there's the whole 'bratty' and 'spoilt' arguments.

I'll put it this way, my parents were willing to buy me a car when I was your age and I was leaning towards a Mini Cooper but I ended up deciding a Honda Civic was much more suitable. A new Civic has quite a lot of safety gear and is reliable, and is also much more suitable for your age- and it's a reasonable car for someone to give to their children.

Then when I was 21, I was on a 6 figure salary and I was thinking of getting a 325i or C250 but the problem was it didn't fit in with my age and people would perceive me as being bought it by my parents or driving my parents' car. I ended up buying an Evo X since I also really liked Japanese turbo cars and wanted to drive a performance car.

Now that I just turned 24 a few years ago, I decided to buy myself the C250 (finally) because I'm at the age where I can get away with it without people presuming my parents bought it for me. I know it's lame to care about what other people think but the reality is it does change how people perceive you even if it's not the truth.

Your choice if you want to go down that path but I personally wouldn't. In some professions/colleges/etc it'll lead you to not be taken seriously because you'll be known as "the boy who's parents bought him a Benz" (even disregarding the fact it's used).
Old 07-26-2011, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Who cares what people think. Just behave well & don't follow the stereotype. It is a wonderful car. Consider yourself lucky that they are so affordable in the US.

I'll bet there will be further reductions in price. There are very good deals being offered in SA to clear 2011 stock as 2012's are already on the floor. 2012's have been launched here with Full Leather, Auto, Comand, Full auto Seat & Mirror pack & all the electronic niceties like Bluetooth, Hard drive, BiX, Parktronic etc. fitted FOC as an introductory offer. It should be noted that we pay a lot more for the cars though so Benz can afford to be generous.

I must say the 2012 interior now has me interested in the W204 - It is a big improvement.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:17 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Who cares what people think. Just behave well & don't follow the stereotype. It is a wonderful car. Consider yourself lucky that they are so affordable in the US.
Easier said than done unfortunately. Depending on what path the OP takes, it could very well make a difference. The 'spoilt brat' image no matter how undeserving it may be, can still make life harder rather than easier.

On another note though, I think the OP should get a normal car and just appreciate that, and then when he does move on to a Benz later on in life, he'll appreciate it more.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Not so much in the US where school parking areas are full of Benz, BMW etc.

In SA no college student would be driving a Benz - It would be a banged up Corolla - I was in my 40's before driving my first Benz - but the US is different as I was to learn when I lived in Dallas & Bay Area for a long while.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
Good point. I grew up in Sydney Australia where the C200 (base model) costs about a year's annual wage in Australia and hence isn't that common. I guess the difference for college in the US is that it's quite an expensive exercise and hence you'd expect wealthier people to go to college.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

A large proportion of our W203 forum are US youngsters & students. Generally a pretty mature bunch with some exceptions. Now that the W204 is getting "old" I expect a large migration in that direction or better.

The reason I still drive my 203 is that I like it - spec'ed it new the way I wanted it & it has only done 60,000Km (37,000 miles). The lady of the home drives the W204.

I lived in Sydney for 6 years on assignment with Caltex. Yeah - if you don't drive a Holden, Ford, Toyota or Mitsubishi you have to pay big bucks for the imports.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 07-26-2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Hi Conner,

Important stuff first...just the fact that you are asking about being perceived as "bratty" is a compliment to you and your dad that you understand the offensiveness of the entitled, spoiled mentality. I always told my kids spoiled is not based on what you have, but is more a reflection of how you behave when you cannot have what you want. People who know you and matter in your life already understand who you are. People who you newly meet either will see past the car to you, or will be sufficiently superficial themselves, that they will not matter. Perhaps contributing some of your own savings or working off some of the value in some arrangement with your dad helps tip the scale even further on appreciating the rewards of your own efforts, although you sound as if you're off to a good start.

Having said that, an 08 will not only have risk of getting into costly wear and tear parts replacement, but even routine service will also be expensive and possibly an ongoing irritant between you and your dad. It's hard to make a strong case that this is better safety choice than some of the TOP PICK choices at iihs.org which come with a new car warranty, for a lower purchase price. Browse the list:

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/default.aspx

Lastly, yes, the introduction of a new model will further suppress resale values of the previous generation...history has shown that. The amount will depend on just how much incentive support MBUSA applies to clear out the last of the 2011 models, and how the old cars hold up their values at wholesale auctions, but they will decline to some degree.

You are young, and waiting seems like forever, but you also have much time to enjoy a Benz later on when you can get it for yourself, and enjoy the good and manage the challenges on your own. Good luck!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic
So two things,
I'm new to the Benz world myself so wont attempt to answer the pricing questions, but as a college student with a Benz ill say this:

Don't worry about what other people think. If you love the car, go for it. Treat it well, and have fun! I just bought (myself, not my parents) a '10 C300 last week, and so far I have gotten a few comments on it, but thats it. I'm sure some people are thinking things they arent saying, but who cares? If your dads able to get you a nice car, thats your business not any of theirs.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:26 AM

GLE 300d (v167)
I guess a lot of it comes down to how you drive it/talk about it/etc... if you are subtle about it and don't show off then that'll work well in your favour, but if you talk yourself up because of it then that's probably what'll get you shot down.

That all being said I still reckon you should get a normal car first. A late Benz isn't really the best first car choice IMO for a variety of reasons and at your age, there are plenty of cars which may be more suitable.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serpent S966
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
I'm new to the Benz world myself so wont attempt to answer the pricing questions, but as a college student with a Benz ill say this:

Don't worry about what other people think. If you love the car, go for it. Treat it well, and have fun! I just bought (myself, not my parents) a '10 C300 last week, and so far I have gotten a few comments on it, but thats it. I'm sure some people are thinking things they arent saying, but who cares? If your dads able to get you a nice car, thats your business not any of theirs.
+1, but I would suggest to get newer year car.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:07 PM

None
I'm in a similar situation to dowork except I'm 21 and looking for a 09 C300 and I'm definitely gonna wait to see how much the prices go down after the '12 models come out. If I could get one here in socal in the low 20ks I would be pretty happy.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 c300
"do you think that me, a 17 year old driving an 08 C300 with around 50k on the clock is "bratty?""

Not bratty, but I do wonder why a 17 yr old wants a 4 door family flivver?

At 17 I breathed 2 wheels. At 21 it was coupes. I thought life was over when at about 40 I had to give in to family pressure and buy my first 4 door sedan.

At 17 I would recommend a clapped-out sports car. Clapped out because its still fun for the corners it goes round, and character building for the ones it doesn't.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Originally Posted by keith100
"do you think that me, a 17 year old driving an 08 C300 with around 50k on the clock is "bratty?""

Not bratty, but I do wonder why a 17 yr old wants a 4 door family flivver?

At 17 I breathed 2 wheels. At 21 it was coupes. I thought life was over when at about 40 I had to give in to family pressure and buy my first 4 door sedan.

At 17 I would recommend a clapped-out sports car. Clapped out because its still fun for the corners it goes round, and character building for the ones it doesn't.
Well motorcycles never really interested me, and to me, the C300 has the proper aesthetics of a european sport coupe, it just happens to have two extra doors. Its still extremely sporty, and turns me on just as much as coupes, plus, even as a teenager rear doors can be useful. Safety is also an important factor which the C takes care of, a worn sports car, say a 98 Boxster, would not be safe and would egg me on to drive crazy, though I do plan on getting one of those in a couple years, they're soo cheap!

And to me, a family-mobile is something like an S-Class or a GL.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
And in college its nice to have a 4 door, as you end up quite often with more then 2 people in the car, and the back seats on most 2 doors arent really seats at all.....
Old 07-27-2011, 11:53 PM

C300 Sport 4matic
Hi,

So two things,

Conner
It's not cocky at all. While I was in high school my senior year 08-09 I was driving a brand new 08 C300 Sport 4matic and no one saw it as "bratty"
Old 07-29-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
Saw $4K discount at the dealer yesterday on C250 4matic
Old 07-29-2011, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C250 Coupe
Get a job, freeloader.
::werd::
Old 07-30-2011, 01:39 AM

C350
I will tell you this... repairs for the c350 costs about $6000. I was rear ended back in may and luckily the guy didn't run away.

If you live in a metro area be prepared for repairs. (Hit and runs) My first car was a nissan max back in 05 when I was 18, I didn't get the c350 till my dad started using the car more and I need one my own for work.

I suggest you start off with a car like nissan hondas or acuras. If you don't have a job don't bother buying a benz because you won't be able to maintain it. (It costs about $100 for an oil change unless you DYI which comes down to $80)

If i could go back in time golf gti!! You are bound to get into an accident whether your at fault or not. I say get your first luxury sport when your a college grad, by that time you'll have enough driving experience under your belt to know whats up.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:51 AM

01' c320 (sold) / 03' Ford Focus(sold) :( / 98' C230 / 00' SL500 / 11' C300 Sport RWD w204
Originally Posted by anticsd
I will tell you this... repairs for the c350 costs about $6000. I was rear ended back in may and luckily the guy didn't run away.

If you live in a metro area be prepared for repairs. (Hit and runs) My first car was a nissan max back in 05 when I was 18, I didn't get the c350 till my dad started using the car more and I need one my own for work.

I suggest you start off with a car like nissan hondas or acuras. If you don't have a job don't bother buying a benz because you won't be able to maintain it. (It costs about $100 for an oil change unless you DYI which comes down to $80)

If i could go back in time golf gti!! You are bound to get into an accident whether your at fault or not. I say get your first luxury sport when your a college grad, by that time you'll have enough driving experience under your belt to know whats up.
+1 this! Honest to god all beginning drivers tend to believe they drive very well which clearly is not the case. You'd be surprised what little only even one year can do to your driving. By then you would've gotten rid of that "drive fast/ break late" subconscious
Old 07-30-2011, 02:18 AM

C350
Almost forgot, if you drive everyday like me (about 6-7 days a week on the road for about 3-4hrs) be prepared to visit the gas station every 5th day if you blast the ac it'll be 4th. I live in NY and it takes about $60 to fill-up. Don't even think about putting cheap gas in the car, because it'll ruin your engine and shows how you treat things.

You sound like a responsible teen, if you really want your first car to be a benz be prepared to have a hole in your wallet or have a sugar mama! (rich gf)

I bought my C350 '11 back in feb. So far my repairs consist of
- 2 flats ($320 each)
- 2 fronted dented rims from potholes ($80 each to hammer out)
- rear ended (a little over $6000)

Word of advice, make sure your c300 don't come with Continental procontact. Pressure your dealer if it HAS to be Continental make damn sure its DWS model or if you can get Michelin Pilots (any pilots should be good)

When I was young I didn't realize the more expensive the car the more expensive it is to maintain until later. I personally don't like the 4matic because it will wear your front tires out fast. 4matic is only good for brutal weather conditions like heavy rain or snow, I drove my c350 which is only RWD in snow and was fine.

Do your research before you purchase and good luck with your new car!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Everybody likes to brat about specially a teenager, is not your fault that your parents can afford to get you a car, 23K will get you a brand new Civic type "S" something to consider, just like it was mention above, repay your parents by being a good son and get your degree.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:43 PM

just dont be cocky and drive like an idiot, peopel will respect you.

you come to vancouver you have 17 -18 year olds driving M3's, amg's ferraris, lambos, astons....lots of rich kids from china here so it is nothing lol...as long as you drive responsible its all good