C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bought CPO car w/crack in window, options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic
Bought CPO car w/crack in window, options?

So i prob should have asked about this earlier, but 2 weeks ago before i bought it, i was taking my C300 for a test drive at the dealer, and noticed a small chip in the windshield. Its very small, maybe 1/2" across, mentioned it to the dealer, he told me that there wasnt any way they could replace the widow for free, they could do it and add it to my bill though. I passed figuring once my new insurance kicked in i could just claim it on that and have it fixed.

Now I'm wondering a few things:
1) fixing a chip that small wont require them to replace the entire window right? i'm guessing the cost will be less then my deductible so its all irrelevant and ill just pay it.

2) Yesterday I was looking over the CPO paperwork for fun, looking at all the things they check, and saw that next to windows it had OK-Passed. Would it have passed if the chip was there when they inspected it? Or is it more likely that it was chipped while in the dealership? Was the dealer responsible for fixing the chip before it could be sold as a CPO, and they just told me otherwise to avoid them having to pay?

Last edited by xolinlevh; 08-03-2011 at 11:55 AM. Reason: changed title
Old 08-03-2011, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
ASFAIK windshield replacement is a fully replaceable option with insurance company and does not require a deductible payment. At least it never has for me in the past (though I have only ever replaced 1 windshield - i didn't have to pay anything to the insurance company)

as far as your 2nd statement. I feel as though it's to late to complain about that now. You already signed the paperwork and left with the car. You COULD try going back to the dealer talk to the GM and tell him your finding about the paperwork and that YOU DID mention it to the salesman BEFORE you left the dealer (as to indicate it was like that BEFORE the purchase and not after - and see what he/she says) though that will be a hard fight may just be easier to have insurance swap it out for free.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:08 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by icanectc
ASFAIK windshield replacement is a fully replaceable option with insurance company and does not require a deductible payment. At least it never has for me in the past (though I have only ever replaced 1 windshield - i didn't have to pay anything to the insurance company)

as far as your 2nd statement. I feel as though it's to late to complain about that now. You already signed the paperwork and left with the car. You COULD try going back to the dealer talk to the GM and tell him your finding about the paperwork and that YOU DID mention it to the salesman BEFORE you left the dealer (as to indicate it was like that BEFORE the purchase and not after - and see what he/she says) though that will be a hard fight may just be easier to have insurance swap it out for free.
OK, ya this if my first car ive bought with my own money (vs my jr high and hs family hand-me-downs) So never had to deal with insurance myself. Assumed it was like any other repair, and would have a deductible. I'll call our guy tonight and see what the exact details are (if its free, great!)

As for the dealer, yea id a feeling they were prob just screwing me out of replacing it. Mentioned it before the paperwork, then he came back after it had all been signed and was like "oh damn i made a mistake, i forgot to tell the manager about the window, because your getting such a good deal there isnt any money left in this to cover it, we can still charge for it and just add it to your monthly payments".

First time buying a car, expected to be taken advantage of a little lol
Old 08-03-2011, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Go back to the GM of the dealer and complain. If he gives you a hard time tell him you are going to contact MBUSA as it should not be a CPO with a defective windshield.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:16 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
OK, ya this if my first car ive bought with my own money (vs my jr high and hs family hand-me-downs) So never had to deal with insurance myself. Assumed it was like any other repair, and would have a deductible. I'll call our guy tonight and see what the exact details are (if its free, great!)

As for the dealer, yea id a feeling they were prob just screwing me out of replacing it. Mentioned it before the paperwork, then he came back after it had all been signed and was like "oh damn i made a mistake, i forgot to tell the manager about the window, because your getting such a good deal there isnt any money left in this to cover it, we can still charge for it and just add it to your monthly payments".

First time buying a car, expected to be taken advantage of a little lol

Never expect to be taken advantage of! Its YOUR money. this is a down economy they arent selling cars like hot cakes - you really think they would have let you walk away from the car for a WINDSHIELD?! And if they did how dumb are they?

Paint the picture you probably a young guy/girl walking into an MB dealer?! You didn't say. Looking for a MB they KNOW you want this car. So they will tell you crap like oooh yea can't replace a windshield but can add it to your payments?! I would have been like WTF are you talking about its a CPO car w/ a cracked/dinged windshield might as well re-badge the f'ing car a Rolls Royce. thats what I would have said to them and said no thanks. Take that deal to ANOTHER MB dealer and say can you do better or match it.

Let them fight for YOU (well next time haha) But hey gratz on the car we live and learn; you will love it.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
Go back to the GM of the dealer and complain. If he gives you a hard time tell him you are going to contact MBUSA as it should not be a CPO with a defective windshield.
+1
Old 08-03-2011, 12:21 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
@icanectc: yea im in my early 20s, college student working a job+internship to pay for this thing :p

@rest: Thanks for all the replies, im going in today after work to pick up my new plates, will talk to the service dept and then whoever I can to see what they say.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:32 PM

2008 C350 Sport
based on your description, you do not need to replace the windshield, it can be repaired. Google Superglass or Safelite or a similiar company and get quotes, fairly inexpensive.

This is of course after taking the course of action suggested above with the dealer and if they refuse to take of it for any reason...good luck
Old 08-03-2011, 01:15 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
I passed figuring once my new insurance kicked in i could just claim it on that and have it fixed.

Now I'm wondering a few things:
1) fixing a chip that small wont require them to replace the entire window right? i'm guessing the cost will be less then my deductible so its all irrelevant and ill just pay it.
Don't expect your insurance to cover replacement of an item that was damaged prior to your policy going into effect!
Old 08-03-2011, 01:18 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by IGB
Don't expect your insurance to cover replacement of an item that was damaged prior to your policy going into effect!
My dad's suggestion on this was to just be creative about when the chip occurred....
Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
My dad's suggestion on this was to just be creative about when the chip occurred....
With all due respect to your Dad, being creative in that manner is a serious crime. Your choice though
Old 08-03-2011, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Set a good example for your dad, tell him you want to be honest, and send him to his room for even suggesting such a thing to his child.

Safelite does great work on repairing chips, but that chip could propagate into a full crack at any unexpected moment, so fix now, and work out the details later or you may have a full glass replacement on your hands. I do think you have a valid complaint with your dealer on a CPO sale.

And, you may want to read this just for information. I just had a chip turn into a crack before my very eyes last week.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...xperience.html

Last edited by Sportstick; 08-03-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:09 PM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Set a good example for your dad, tell him you want to be honest, and send him to his room for even suggesting such a thing to his child.

Safelite does great work on repairing chips, but that chip could propagate into a full crack at any unexpected moment, so fix now, and work out the details later or you may have a full glass replacement on your hands. I do think you have a valid complaint with your dealer on a CPO sale.

And, you may want to read this just for information. I just had a chip turn into a crack before my very eyes last week.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...xperience.html
I say be creative! - if all else fails....

Last edited by icanectc; 08-03-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:32 PM

2009 C300 Luxury P1 w/Multimedia, Arctic White
If it hasn't cracked yet, it can be injected with some sort of clear resin. Once they are finished you can barely see where the chip used to be. I wouldn't replace the factory windshield over a chip. They are going to happen. I had a chip "filled" a few years ago for like $20 bucks. It took about 15 minutes.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Originally Posted by Ben'sBenz
If it hasn't cracked yet, it can be injected with some sort of clear resin. Once they are finished you can barely see where the chip used to be. I wouldn't replace the factory windshield over a chip. They are going to happen. I had a chip "filled" a few years ago for like $20 bucks. It took about 15 minutes.
I had this done at a car wash once. It was definitely worth the $15-20 I paid. Besides, if the OP has the chip filled now and it cracks later, then he doesn't have to be creative about anything.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:07 AM

2009 C300 Sport, ex 2007 C230 Sport
As I understand, if the crack is smaller than a dollar bill, it can be repaired (resin fill) and with most insurance companies (with Comprehensive coverage), it will be done with no deductible. If the windshield needs to be replaced, they may charge you a deductible, but in some states (including Florida) they cannot.

As far as being creative, you may not be able to do it with certain insurance companies. Mine requires a car inspection within 30 days of getting Comprehensive / Collision insurance or they drop those coverages.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 AM

2011 E550 4Matic
Ok, so I went in and the service people looked at it, said it would be cheaper to just fill the crack, so Im gonna call and have that set up. The crack is honestly maybe the size of a penny, calling my insurance guy today (didnt get a chance to yesterday) to ensure its doable without a deductible.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:24 PM

01' c320 (sold) / 03' Ford Focus(sold) :( / 98' C230 / 00' SL500 / 11' C300 Sport RWD w204
the $20 isn't even a big deal. its the fact that your dealer cheap shot you out of repairing/replacing the windshield. i'd make sure they handle the fees for repairing the damn thing; not you, not your insurance, but THEM.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:20 PM

I'll tell you from personal experience that most MB dealerships (I've frequented two out of three local MB dealerships over the last couple years) will make quite an effort to earn and keep your business - the key is to make your requests before you sign the dotted line and make sure you get the requests down in writing. Once you've signed / bought the car, at that point, you have little to no leverage (besides hoping that the dealership will do it out of courtesy / customer satisfaction, or it is covered under factory / CPO warranty, or you complain to top brass at dealership or MB USA and that sets the ball in motion).

I recently bought a CPO and prior to buying I had some items that I wanted addressed, and we listed them out and they signed off on it. One of them required a bit of effort on their part. The MB dealership did their best to keep their promise and I am a pleased customer.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Yea, as this was my first time getting a Benz, my first time getting a car period, I didnt know how to address the issue when buying. In the back of my head i just wanted to 'get' the car fast as i could. Infact while we were sitting there starting the paperwork another couple and their SA come over looking for the keys to mine because they wanted to buy it too, so I just sorta forgot about the little chip and just wanted to make sure i got the car.

$20 to fix it, no biggie, dealers treated me very well otherwise, so gonna have it filled prob sometime next week.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Yea, as this was my first time getting a Benz, my first time getting a car period, I didnt know how to address the issue when buying. In the back of my head i just wanted to 'get' the car fast as i could. Infact while we were sitting there starting the paperwork another couple and their SA come over looking for the keys to mine because they wanted to buy it too, so I just sorta forgot about the little chip and just wanted to make sure i got the car.

$20 to fix it, no biggie, dealers treated me very well otherwise, so gonna have it filled prob sometime next week.
I'm happy to hear that - 20 bucks is next to nothing. Congratulations on your new car!