C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Rattling from GloveBox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c320 w204
Rattling from GloveBox

Hi All,

I'm a new member to the site and just joined today. I brought a w204 c320 around 2 months ago and whilst I think the car is great, this site has proved brilliant in helping me find and eliminate small problems which drive me a touch crazy - rear shelf rattle, seat rattle etc

I just thought I would add a thread as I found a fix for a rattle around the glovebox which I had not come across before on the net. It maybe that I just didn't look hard enough, or that no one else really has this problem - but if it helps out 1 person, then happy days!

So - I had this clicking / random rattle from passenger footwell, glovebox area. I tried to eliminate it through experiences from other forums it just did not seem to work. So I started to take bits and pieces off and investigate. In the end it was not a major job but really makes a difference.

Firstly, the sound was a rattle / creak when going over rough roads. Usually worse when the car was cold. As mentioned, it sounded like it was glovebox, passenger footwell. Like things were loose in the glovebox even if it was empty. if you have a similar sounds, maybe the following might help!

So, firstly, i removed the plastic panel above where the passenger feet would be and behind the glovebox itself. this is a few screws at the front and then some moving / shaking to get it out but it is pretty straight forward. This is when I noticed the first problem. The ducting for the aircon is clipped onto the top of this panel and there was some play in it, meaning it would move when driving. Basically I just got some super glue and secured all the clips in the place.

Before I put it back in the vehicle I decided to drive it round and now the main noise was even louder, I then decided to pull the glovebox towards me whilst driving by holding a clip at the bottom of the glovebox that was visible due to the panel being removed. This stopped the noise completely. Once I got home I realise the actually glovebox assembly had play in it and could be pushed back and forth at the bottom. Only a very small amount but it was enough to make the noises.

I ended up removing the glovebox and doing to things -
- fixing 1 inch, thick, hard foam to the back off the glovebox.
- taping up and adding tape / thin foam to hooks where glovebox secures in place as it is all metal to metal from what I can see.

I then put the glovebox back in, this required a bit of a push but easy enough and then once screwed in place it was a much tighter, snugger fit.

After this there was no movement in the glovebox assembley at all, tested by pushing and pulling from behind too. It was firmly in place now so I put the plastic bottom piece back that was removed originally and since then I have had no noise at all.

Sorry if this seems a really long thread for what might be a simple / common. first post and I'm known to be a bit "wordy"

Cheers
Old 08-17-2011, 06:22 AM

W204 C180 Avantgarde
Hi Daniel

Nice writeup. It doesn't seem like our "rattling in glovebox" issues are connected, but can I have you check the audio clip in my post, to see if they are connected or if you, after disassembling your glovebox, know of anything behind there, that could be connected to that sound?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/411459-rattling-around-glovebox-area-audio-clip-included.html

I would very much appreciate it.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:54 AM

mercedes c320 w204
Hi there,

I have listened to the sounds and it does not sound the same to me unfortunately. However, I have read before about people having similar problems and from what you describe in your writing ( when it does it, the conditions etc ) it could be something to do with a aircon vent door -

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204...-glovebox.html

I have not experienced this issue myself but perhaps it could be the same and this thread might help.

best of luck with it!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:42 AM

W204 C180 Avantgarde
Thank you! :D

Originally Posted by danielUK1
Hi there,

I have listened to the sounds and it does not sound the same to me unfortunately. However, I have read before about people having similar problems and from what you describe in your writing ( when it does it, the conditions etc ) it could be something to do with a aircon vent door -

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204...-glovebox.html

I have not experienced this issue myself but perhaps it could be the same and this thread might help.

best of luck with it!
Ooohhh, thank you very much!

Did the Google-search and everything, but have missed it completely. Now it's just a matter of telling the dealer how to fix it, since their reply was - eventhough their mechanic heard it 5 times when taking the car for a drive with me; "3 people have been out in your car and nobody (he apparently forgot the initial mechanic) have been able to reproduce it - which of course was a load of c**p, since it happens every time you do a full stop, but the car was in for something else and the mechanic just said that he would look at it, without me even asking, so I just ignored it. (stupid of me)

But thank you very much